TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Sportero Balancing shaft belt

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Groovemaster
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Sportero Balancing shaft belt

Postby Groovemaster » November 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Tuners.......is a balancing shaft/s installed in other competing models. I think it's crappy that Mitsubishi keep this mechanism just to have less vibration.

Company Sportero with 4D56 doing 87,000km balancing belt burst.....Mechanic say drive it back to the shop which is about 5mins drive. The engine started knocking but didn't lockup.

Was only when the mechanic opened the timing cover then he noticed the oil pump connected to that belt. He looked for shavings in the oil but didn't see any. Now the van left with a knock...sounding like valve/lifter noise. Put in a liqui moly to quiet the hydraulic lifters but that barely helped.

I think it's really poor engine design

trini iceman
Trinituner Peong

Re: Sportero Balancing shaft belt

Postby trini iceman » December 2nd, 2015, 10:53 am

I think Hondas run them also. Most 4g6x builders delete them to avoid the belt failure that usually takes out the timing belt. I'm no engineer so I can't simpoy tell you it's a bad design but it's another service/failure point you have to remember. I mean we can say the same about oil squirter which can stick, break and are even a suspect in crankwalk yet men paying to have them installed.

You have to pay to fix it?

Groovemaster
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Sportero Balancing shaft belt

Postby Groovemaster » December 2nd, 2015, 7:36 pm

Nah, the mech say drive it back to the shop..

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”