TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Subaru Legacy After Market Filters

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Subaru Legacy After Market Filters

Postby sweeks » July 30th, 2007, 4:16 pm

Fellas, besides the Neal & Massy, where can I get good filters for the 2005 Legacy?

Can I get a regular engine wash or would I mess up something?

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » July 30th, 2007, 8:31 pm

A K&N Drop in panel filter will do you fine (air). If it's oil filters for the Subaru, I stick with OEM filters. If you do some reading on the internals of aftermarket vs oem suby filters, OEM is much better. Check sites like bobistheoilguy.org. Or better yet, you can do like me and cut a few open LOL. A typical aftermarket example is FRAM...The backing plates on the FRAM filters are cardboard, and it has no high flow bypass valve. Not good....or something I'll ever use in my car.

Oem is the best......I bring them in myself, or through my parts supplier. From the motorist, it'll be over >100 dollars. Otherwise, I'd say like 80 TTD.

Here's what they look like (I'll have to confirm whether the 02-04 Ej20T filter works on the 05 legacy....):

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » July 30th, 2007, 8:58 pm

agreed

W2J also carries the OEM stuff

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » July 30th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Can I get a regular engine wash or would I mess up something?

Do it yourself. "Shop washing" might be too careless...they use diesel and stuff. Bleh.

use a light water spray to wash down some vital parts. (Cover the alternator and electronic connections with a plastic bag).

Buy some engine degreaser, and spray on the engine components. Let it sit, and then wash away. After doing this, start the engine, and let it run, with the bonnet OPEN, to let the vapours which form (from the water/degreaser mix) to escape, and so, dry your engine. If you leave your bonnet closed, the engine will dry, but those vapours will leave a film on the inside of the bonnet.

JWT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby JWT » July 30th, 2007, 11:34 pm

after the wash before you start the car if you have a vacuum that can work in reverse that is push out air then use that on the engine and blow out any excess water before starting

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » July 31st, 2007, 9:00 am

Good info fellas.... thanks alot.

3NEKarter
Riding on 13's

Postby 3NEKarter » August 1st, 2007, 12:59 pm

Hey,

I also have a legacy and I get good info and advice form this site, it might be of some use to you.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”