TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

2004 Impreza

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

2004 Impreza

Postby Rainman » February 17th, 2008, 6:46 am

Alright guysi know that this is strictly a Subaru forum, but i'm looking at buying a 2004 impreza RORO and dont want any biased opinions i want to hear all your opinions good. bad, reall bad etc..... particularly troublesome parts and issues. i'm based offshore most of the time and my girl will be driving the car, so i don't want to have a car that needs to be repaired regularly.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 17th, 2008, 9:12 am

is it the impreza you speak of? the TS?

is cost a factor when purchasing or do you just like the impreza

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » February 17th, 2008, 9:22 am

yup the TS i'm referring to. i wouldnt say that cost is a factor (much) my girl has to drive it, so it must be practical.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 17th, 2008, 11:56 am

from experience

id say get a mazda 3, lol

parts not hard to come by, the firm mostly has them

it's not really a performance car, just a grocery getter, almera , lancer, mazda 3 would be better

the awd models are a bit slow on acceleration, handling is good

i have a fwd ts which is slightly better than the awd model

you can direct your questions here as well

www.scoobytnt.com

hope i was of some help

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » February 17th, 2008, 12:08 pm

well the speed factor doesn't matter because, like i said my girl will be driving most of the time and she rarely crosses 100km/h ( it can hit 100k right? lol) and speed is not an issue with myself either. i'm offshore most of the time and when i'm on land i spend most of my time sleeping. lol i guess some of the issues i'm looking at are really:

1) Do bandits like these cars? lol
2) How expensive/hard to find are the replacement parts for it. (shocks, bushings, brake pads)?
3)any known associated issues with this particular model (transmission, engine components)?
4)any maintenance issues that i should be aware of?
5)what kind of crash handling

i know i'm asking for a bit much but i figured that i would find the people with the most knowledge about them here (the drivers).

again.....any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » February 17th, 2008, 11:26 pm

afaik - not a true bandit target - but then again its the new "civic"
replacement parts for maintenence is easy, either firm or from sellers such as w2j for pads, plugs, filters etc
besides it slow , no other serious problems noted thus far
crash handling---eh?

Go Fast
3NE 2NR for life
Location: Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap

Postby Go Fast » February 18th, 2008, 4:21 pm

the TS is a very nice platform for the wife, Girl, whatever it may be.
Family Sedan that handles quite well, despite being slow on acceleration.

Go Fast
3NE 2NR for life
Location: Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap

Postby Go Fast » February 18th, 2008, 4:22 pm

make no mistake., it is a little heavier on the fuel due to the curb weight, and the AWD transmission.....

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » February 18th, 2008, 8:10 pm

^^^performance is not really an issue for me because i don't speed and neither does my girl. i think i like what i'm hearing. views are still welcome.

16 cycles
punchin NOS

Postby 16 cycles » February 19th, 2008, 7:52 am

^ look at a rav4 too

they come in awd (some models i think are fwd) and are pretty reliable. Initial cost may be higher and it seems to have kept re-sale value.

Might be easier to insure also.

know its a subaru forum, just throwing out options

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » February 19th, 2008, 9:05 am

performance is not really an issue for me because i don't speed and neither does my girl. i think i like what i'm hearing. views are still welcome.

I'd honestly be hard pressed to buy an Impreza TS...given the price that they go for, and the other options out there.

I'm seeing 04 TS's going for 100K plus, which is crazy. Plus other cars on the market Mazda 3, Tiida etc) have nicer interior accoutrements, and may go for cheaper (Tiida RORO).

Also some of these cars (Corolla, Tiida) will actually be better on gas.

Redeyeblueeye
Street 2NR

Postby Redeyeblueeye » April 17th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Knight1 wrote:I'd honestly be hard pressed to buy an Impreza TS...given the price that they go for, and the other options out there.

I'm seeing 04 TS's going for 100K plus, which is crazy. Plus other cars on the market Mazda 3, Tiida etc) have nicer interior accoutrements, and may go for cheaper (Tiida RORO).

Also some of these cars (Corolla, Tiida) will actually be better on gas.

I have to agree...

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 12th, 2008, 12:59 am

Last edited by shogun on November 25th, 2011, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » May 12th, 2008, 4:44 am

^^^

yuh ans is no

if yuh want speed buy a rocket

riderz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby riderz » May 12th, 2008, 10:31 am

The 2004TS is a not a bad investment but it depends what you are looking for. With body kit and external bolt ons you would have a nice looking headturner. If you into music there is enough space to do you hearts desire. If you into performance look into a WRX or STI.

Budget dictates. With the 2004 Impreza TS you would can get some perfomance gains but considering you starting at 75 -80 WHP stock you have a lot to do. Some have add Turbos without breaking the engines. I know of a couple who went piggyback management and into the 100Whp range. (You would need that if you plan to run civics. These cars are heavy)

Common failures of the TS are, radiators, clutch, plug wires and brake rotors. With the excepting of the plug wires everything esle is easy to get.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 12th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Slow for a speed demon? Or just slow for anyone..will it outrun a stock Honda civic for example..really want to know?

Sorry to say, but a stock TS can't do anything to a normal 1.5exi (it makes less crank hp than that, and drivetrain losses are even more than a regular FWD car), much less for anything higher up the Civic lineup (RTi, VTi-s, SiR etc).

The best performing econobox 1.6 I've experienced out there is the Mazda 3 (I mean that relatively speaking). After that, the Tiida/Corolla, and then the list goes down from there to the TS.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 13th, 2008, 10:48 am

Last edited by shogun on November 25th, 2011, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » May 13th, 2008, 11:35 am

^^How the car feels to you, depends on what your taste is/what you're accustomed to.

I spoke to a guy with a TS once....the way he spoke, you'd swear he was clocking 0-60 in 3 seconds flat. :lol:

Some folks with Tiidas and MAzda 3's feel they have the fastest thing around...but that's what they're accustomed to.

Folks with STi's and Evo's might feel quite happy with their cars, until they taste acceleration in a Porsche GT2 or something....who knows?

If you're accustomed to driving a 1.6/1.5L car, then a TS will not feel any much different. The Tiida / Mazda 3 will have more top end (better acceleration in higher rpms, and at higher speeds), but other than that, the car drives like an everyday econo-box that most of us have.

The fact of the matter is.....drive the car. If you like it...and it's what you're looking for? Great...if not...well...there are other cars out there.

Go Fast
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Go Fast » May 13th, 2008, 2:17 pm

it's that simple :wink:

Shagga
Ricer

Postby Shagga » May 15th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Cyar Beat a corolla for gas milage & its a comfortable car.

Hope that Helpz

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”