TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Neal & Massy Motors: Premium Issue - Subaru

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Neal & Massy Motors: Premium Issue - Subaru

Postby NorStar2K » October 6th, 2008, 4:57 pm

CUSTOMER SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

"In light of the increased price of premium gasoline as mandated in the recent national budget, we would like to provide information that would assist our fellow group companies and their staff with manufacturer recommendations for octane ratings of the fuel to be used in NMAL vehicles." N&M Automotive

All Subaru vehicles MUST use Premium 95 Octane fuel ONLY.

SUBARU MODEL / RON (91 - Super / 95 - Premium)

Impreza - 95
Forester - 95
Legacy 2.0 - 95
Legacy 2.5T - 95
Outback - 95
Tribeca - 95

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 6th, 2008, 9:52 pm

04 TS go back can use super...the roro models that is, it's on the gas cap

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » October 6th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Really? I spoke to a salesperson at N&M recently, and they said that they fill up all the new cars (Tiida, Wingroad, Impreza) with super before customer pickup :roll:

b18b_turbo
Shifting into 6th

Postby b18b_turbo » October 7th, 2008, 9:20 am

slaesperson will say anything....

what is the octane count of local premium gas?

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » October 7th, 2008, 10:33 am

That's a good question b18b. I heard our RON for super in T'dad is higher than in other places in the world. Not sure how true that is.

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » October 7th, 2008, 1:43 pm

b18b_turbo wrote:slaesperson will say anything....

what is the octane count of local premium gas?

95 RON

bong
Street 2NR

Postby bong » October 10th, 2008, 11:09 pm

the director of N&M motors said PREMIUM ONLY
as per the first post

Swiftguy
Street 2NR

Postby Swiftguy » January 7th, 2009, 9:50 pm

can u full up with super and add a octane booter in it

b18b_turbo
Shifting into 6th

Postby b18b_turbo » March 29th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Swiftguy wrote:can u full up with super and add a octane booter in it

is that cheaper than premium?

Swiftguy
Street 2NR

Postby Swiftguy » April 14th, 2009, 10:00 pm

yes it is about $25 for the octane and $110 super than paying $180 to $190 for premium

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 22nd, 2009, 7:31 am

I was told not to use octane boosters in my car(Legacy GT) as they contain water(which is counter intuitive) Ive just read the contents of Prestone,cyclo and LHP
which say nothing about water.

The guy supposed to know what he talking about so any can any one confirm?

Im fairly certain that N&M south uses premium on most of their new cars when filling-but I will confirm.

LAter

scooby04
Riding on 13's

Postby scooby04 » October 23rd, 2009, 7:50 pm

All i know is for the forced induction subarus stay away from peakes gas station. apparently the gas there so bad that u could immediately feel the difference in how your car behaves as u drive out of there.. i usually use the one right next to silver star mucarapo rd and i find that when i put gas there the car is not as sluggish. However i decided last week to try a can of NOS octane boost and within 15 mins my car just picked up like a beast out of hell!!! i don`t plan to make octane boost a habbit because it is a bit expensive in the long run if u have to do that everytime u fill up..
very soon i just gonna put out the 3 or 4g and get water/meth injection and a little tune. super or premium problem solved..it wouldn`t matter..u will be 100+ octane with water/meth.
meth cheap and bottled or distilled water cheap.1 gallon meth (roughly $30tt)lasting a month give or take :twisted:

arrivedalive
Ricer

Postby arrivedalive » November 24th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Im doing a mechanics class and my teacher said he put like 6 moth bolls in his gas tank and that raises the octane level of the fuel

antbody knows bout this ?

ci crew
Street 2NR

Postby ci crew » November 26th, 2009, 1:39 pm

arrivedalive wrote:Im doing a mechanics class and my teacher said he put like 6 moth bolls in his gas tank and that raises the octane level of the fuel

antbody knows bout this ?

true.. confirmed by myth busters..

ci crew
Street 2NR

Postby ci crew » November 26th, 2009, 1:40 pm

Redman wrote:I was told not to use octane boosters in my car(Legacy GT) as they contain water(which is counter intuitive) Ive just read the contents of Prestone,cyclo and LHP
which say nothing about water.

The guy supposed to know what he talking about so any can any one confirm?

Im fairly certain that N&M south uses premium on most of their new cars when filling-but I will confirm.

LAter

don't use octane booster if you plan to leave your car parked up for a little while. it causes gas water seperation

garrick
Riding on 13's

Re: Neal & Massy Motors: Premium Issue - Subaru

Postby garrick » September 4th, 2010, 10:35 am

i recently started to use premium it works but not all the gas station have quality premuim

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » September 6th, 2010, 8:35 pm

All stations have the same fuel,
Unipet or NP-all retail fuel comes from the same source-Petrotrin

The issue would be the tankage -age,how dirty , whether they manage the water situation on that site,filtration etc.
But the gas diesel and Kero are all from the same source.

CI crew,
Now that you say it(well now that Ive seen it)
-THATS what he said,
Youre right-thanks

Later

Phil_Franc
Street 2NR

Postby Phil_Franc » January 7th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Not trying to pursuade anyone but i came across this today. From the 2006 Subaru Owners Manual. I downloaded online. I guess.. use at your own risk ..but from what I gather u can put super in a TS with no problem. (FROM WHAT I GATHER) > I put premium in my TS.
------------------------------� 2.5-liter non-turbo mo

2.5 liter non-turbo
The 2.5-liter non-turbo engine is designed to operate using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher.

WRX� WRX
The 2.5-liter turbo engine is designed to operate using premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI or higher.

WRX-STI
The 2.5-liter turbo engine is designed to operate using super-premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 93 AKI or higher.

NOTE
Be sure to use super-premium unleaded gasoline of 93 AKI or higher for WRX-STI. If other gasoline (lower than 93 AKI) is used, knocking, reduced output and poor accelerator response will result.

�Fu
Fuel octane rating
This octane rating is the average of the Research Octane and Motor Octane numbers and is commonly referred to as the Anti Knock Index (AKI). Using a gasoline with a lower octane rating
can cause persistent and heavy knocking, which can damage the engine.

----------------------------------------

Phil_Franc
Street 2NR

Postby Phil_Franc » January 7th, 2011, 8:18 pm

as for the moth balls i wudnt put em in my gas tank :S per say...
and i may agree with redman ..i wouldreally like sum1 to do actual tests on the gasoline from the pump for actual octane rating of our supposedly 91 and 95 super and premium gas.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 8th, 2011, 7:35 am

^^Doesn't AKI refer to an (R+M)/2 rating?

Remember R+M/2 refers to the average between MON and RON figures (both being affected by blend, but MON more so).

E.g. 91 (R+M)/2 equates to 94/95 RON.

Similarly, a 93 AKI fuel would probably be around a 98 RON figure (comparitively speaking).

And yes, we sell gas locally based on RON rating.....NOT AKI/ (R+M)/2

rating of our supposedly 91 and 95 super and premium gas.

Well actually it's 92 and 95.

All gasoline that is made locally has to be inspected by an int'l "independent" inspector and a local one (well AFAIK). In most instances, there is "give away" on the octane figures on the fuels that leave the bond, since a blend is not totally an exact science. And, regulations allow you to go over...but going under means the blend has "failed" (and canot be sold).

Plus many times of the year, we actually drive our cars on foreign grade gasoline, yet no one knows, and folks complain about crappy "trini gas" :lol: :lol:

So yes, all octane ratings are maintained. It's just that typical trinis like to tallk about stuff they probably have no idea about.

The real problem lies in the storage of the gasoline after by your gas station of choice. Case in point? I put some premium in a gasoline bottle thingy by my local UNI<hit by a flying gas tank> station, and guess what....it had a noitceable pinkish tinge (they were mixing the gas).

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » February 4th, 2011, 2:52 pm

You would have to be aware of the station you take fuel-as fuel is stored the octane starts to drop
My understanding that Premium hardly ever tests 95-it usually is between 94-95

Mixing is a common issue at stations run by idiots-but the marketing companies are BOTH pretty stringent with their checks

Later

Phil_Franc
Street 2NR

Postby Phil_Franc » February 7th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Thanks for the incite tho Alpha 2nr u do seem to know alot..

well i researched a bit on what u said but I found this on Wikipedia: (yea i know its not 100% reliable)

RON MON AKI
"regular" gasoline in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US 91–92 82–83 87

so from what u said and from what Im seeing it seems that putting super in your car shud be ok? or am i still off? ALSO!! I took my TS to a shop and apparently they put about half tank with super :S and I did find the car ran VERY sluggish .. I went back to premium. Thing is this car burns premium like nutting!. Ive recently tried sum here: I put about $60. worth of super with a bottle of cyclo octane boost and ive found the car really running well and fuel economy is reel good too.. am i slowly destroying my engine?

kh3600
Riding on 13's

Postby kh3600 » April 16th, 2011, 7:10 pm

using super in trinidad is ok for roro suburu 04 ts/sti and under, because the octane is higher rating that is considered as super gas any where else - try using an octane boost once a while

JDMforever
Riding on 13's

Postby JDMforever » May 7th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Great info there guys!

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Re:

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » June 10th, 2014, 1:51 pm

scooby04 wrote:All i know is for the forced induction subarus stay away from peakes gas station. apparently the gas there so bad that u could immediately feel the difference in how your car behaves as u drive out of there.. i usually use the one right next to silver star mucarapo rd and i find that when i put gas there the car is not as sluggish. However i decided last week to try a can of NOS octane boost and within 15 mins my car just picked up like a beast out of hell!!! i don`t plan to make octane boost a habbit because it is a bit expensive in the long run if u have to do that everytime u fill up..
very soon i just gonna put out the 3 or 4g and get water/meth injection and a little tune. super or premium problem solved..it wouldn`t matter..u will be 100+ octane with water/meth.
meth cheap and bottled or distilled water cheap.1 gallon meth (roughly $30tt)lasting a month give or take :twisted:

How correct is this statement?
Has it worked out for anyone yet?

legacy_specB
3NE 2NR for life

Postby legacy_specB » June 10th, 2014, 3:13 pm

What statement are you referring to? Peakes gas station? No idea! Never had an bad experience with the gas there. Water/meth system? Hell yeah! Works great! How long it lasts depends on how you drive. Most systems are activated by boost psi, therefore the more you are in boost, the more you use and the faster it finishes. It's fairly easy to obtain and $30tt a gallon is about right. I wouldn't pay more than that.

Wrt being over 100 octane when using a water/meth system, I don't believe that is the case according to my calculations. The W/M system can give the EFFECT of having high octane fuel because the properties of the liquid being injected. The advantage of high octane fuel is its ability to resist detonation. One cause of detonation is too much heat. Injecting water cools the charged air and injecting methanol boosts the octane. Together they reduce the chance of detonation. But water/meth only increases the actual octane by about 22 points max. So 92 octane super would be around 94.2 octane. The EFFECT of the mixture would make the fuel BEHAVE like a much higher octane fuel would.

SpecB

pcu1997
Riding on 13's

Postby pcu1997 » October 12th, 2014, 2:40 am

boii i feel you should always use the best for your car wii never substitute

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 9th, 2014, 10:19 am

Nice info in here

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » July 4th, 2015, 12:52 pm

bumping an old topic, does the new Subaru's use super fuel or premium?

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » April 19th, 2016, 10:33 pm

u can verify with the manual, just check it out in Massy. I believe the Impreza can run on Super though.

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”