TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

BL5 legacy smoking??

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

BL5 legacy smoking??

Postby turbonator » January 13th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Hey tuners, toady as I was driving home I noticed what looked like some smoke coming from the vent on the bonnet for the intercooler. It only lasted a few seconds and I didn't smell anything burning so I just thought that I was some water drying off. When I reached home a few minutes later I could clearly see the smoke coming from the vent. Well after some investigation it seems that the smoke was coming from the area by the turbo. It looks like the oil inlet and outlet for the turbo is not leaking, well as far as I can see. Has anyone experienced this before?? Is it the turbine side on the turbo that leaking in the exhaust?

The picture is from under the car by the downpipe

SUPERMAN2
Trinituner Peong

Re: BL5 legacy smoking??

Postby SUPERMAN2 » January 14th, 2014, 11:17 am

check the turbo inlet line mines started to leak on the line itself not where it is screwd in and it leaked the same way it was only dripping slowly when the car was at idle check back that line and have someone rev it a bit to see if it spraying.

if so jus remove the line and either have it repaired or replaced with aftermarket flexible line or have one made

Grudge
Sweet on this forum

Postby Grudge » January 14th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Was thinking the same, it must either be the turbo oil inlet or return line. There is really nothing else in that area. That looks like too much oil for valve cover gasket.

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 14th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Well last night I pulled off the intercooler and there was some oil right in the inlet of the intercooler. There was also some oil under the intercooler just where it connects to outlet from the turbo. Apparently it looks like the oil leaked out of the intercooler and ran down the compressor housing and settled on the heat shield :-| . There was no oil on the oil feed nor the return for the turbo. This morning I used some purple blaster to wash out the oil on the shield before I left for work and after checking it back this evening there is no oil.

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 14th, 2014, 9:41 pm

In the morning I'll check the oil feed line as superman2 recommend.

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 18th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Ok so I checked out the oil feed for the turbo and its not leaking ao it looks like it was the oil from inside the intercooler.

kripplerz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kripplerz » January 20th, 2014, 1:11 pm

I don't think there supposed to be oil inside the intercooler, please correct me if I'm wrong. Sometimes the oil return line at the bottom of the turbo gets so hard and brittle it cracks. U can also check there, if u had oil inside your intercooler, there might b a chance that your turbo is leaking and then you will see smoke out your exaust. I doubt this is your case. Also the oil feed sometime cracks and you'll get oil leaking there too and that can happen anywhere on that metal line not only by the turbo.

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 20th, 2014, 1:48 pm

This evening I'll take another look at the oil lines. Initially when I looked at it I did not see any oil on any of the oil lines. The only oil i could see was from the intercooler. IIRC on a turbo vehicle there will be some oil in the intercooler since the pcv lines usually carry away gases from the crankcase that have oil vapours in it, into the intake before the turbo. Probably someone with more experience can chime in here. If one of those lines are leaking that will be hell to replace :-(

kripplerz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kripplerz » January 20th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Maybe the legacy is different. But what I noticed on my sti, the PCV is located below the throttle body that's after the turbo and intercooler.The only line connected before the turbo are the line for the recirculating valve, the vacuum line for the boost solenoid and the other I forget what that's for. I have had leaking turbo issues and took out and changed turbo many many times, my oil feel line had a leak I changes the whole thing to a braided one. Have had the oil drain line leak a few times. Banjos leaking etc. stick your finger inside your turbo outlet and see if u getting oil. If it's there maybe your turbo startin to leak. But that won't cause this problem u getting.

turbonator
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbonator » January 25th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Update. . After working good for a few days it started smoking today. I pulled out the intercooler once again just to find the turbo oil feed and drain lines looking dry, not leaking. The only evidence of a leak I could see is from the flange between the compressor outlet and the elbow that connects the turbo to the intercooler. Also I checked in the compressor and it was clean, no oil. After inspecting the elbow apparently it has 2 small cracks where the rubber seal goes and it seems that the plastic flange is slightly warped, probably due to the heat :?: So the question is where can I get a new replacement for the elbow and the seal?

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”