TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

AEM or Snow performance Meth kit ???

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

AEM or Snow performance Meth kit ???

Postby Densil » February 20th, 2014, 7:29 am

Hey guys, Im thinking of goin with a meth kit for my legacy (08 turbo)..It looks like AEM and Snow performance are two of the best(not sure). Anybody with experience can say with one to get? i did search the forums,but only info was on pro's cons of WMI..nothing on which brand to go with. Thanks

packman1000
Riding on 13's

Re: AEM or Snow performance Meth kit ???

Postby packman1000 » February 20th, 2014, 2:51 pm

aem all the way

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » February 25th, 2014, 11:50 am

Coolingmist and Aquamist are also great alternatives...

research failsafes and underlying process used to trigger the meth e.g. trigger on boost vs engine load etc...

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » February 25th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Good info. . .

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » February 25th, 2014, 4:47 pm

So with a kit and a re tune. .what kind of hp gains would you see if any

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » February 25th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Installing an aem kit in my sti this week...retuning after carnival unless I get back the car on thursday...
There are a lot of people with different views on kits..a lot of people use the aem locally because of the cost and it is universal...

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » February 25th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Great..Would love to hear about your results. ..I see there are two AEM kits..The 3300 and the 3350...which one you got?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » February 26th, 2014, 9:42 am

Water/Methanol for Naturally Aspirated and Forced Induction Gas Engines
AEM offers two different water/methanol controller designs for gas vehicles.

One is boost dependent (Kit Part #30-3300) for forced induction vehicles up to 35 PSI of boost. The Boost Dependent controller has an on-board manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor with a molded-in nipple for a boost hose pickup.

The second controller (Kit Part #30-3350) features a multiple input design that enables users to install AEM’s Water/Methanol Injection Kit on both high compression naturally aspirated vehicles (NA) via the MAF/IDC settings and ultra-high boost vehicles (above 35 PSI) using an external MAP sensor. The Multi-Input controller works with an external 0-5v voltage-based external MAP sensor, a frequency based input for Injector Duty Cycle (IDC), frequency-based mass airflow (MAF), or a 0-5v voltage-based MAF.

legacyspecb
Street 2NR

Postby legacyspecb » February 28th, 2014, 8:39 am

I have an '08 spec b and to be honest meth eh really for getting those big HP gains especially on the stock exhaust and turbo

however, u can have the car running safer with more aggressive timing as u'd benefit from the higher octane of the meth which is similar to the JDM guys running 98+ RON

meth will optimize the car's true capabilities but in no way are you goin to touch an STI other than give it a good chase lol

JJ16
30 pounds of Boost

Postby JJ16 » March 12th, 2014, 9:29 am

This is based on MY personal experience.. ONLY that...with that being said, I stand to be corrected.

First question I asked myself and most persons when they think of going meth is this.. Persons say that meth "raises your octane" but, I asked myself this..does it really increase the octane..or does it SIMPLY cool the internals of the engine, reducing the possibility of detonation..

Apart from which, I've used the AEM water meth kit, but this was a while ago, when I had another vehicle...It was a great kit, I never got any MAJOR problems.. Ive heard persons encountering problems though with the control unit. It tends to malfunction depending on your setup (i.e.) if water/meth gets inside the controller..

However I believe the new version (such as) what Aaron would have purchased is made to avoid such (he could correct me)

Also, i've heard the snow kit to be better than the AEM, but idk anyone that sells it locally.

My recommendation, research the FUNCTION of them both and see which fits you better.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » March 12th, 2014, 2:36 pm

JJ16 wrote:
First question I asked myself and most persons when they think of going meth is this.. Persons say that meth "raises your octane" but, I asked myself this..does it really increase the octane..or does it SIMPLY cool the internals of the engine, reducing the possibility of detonation..

a 50/50 mix vs 100 mix either side of the spectrum would yield different results leading me to believe the meth and water both have different functions...

JJ16
30 pounds of Boost

Postby JJ16 » March 13th, 2014, 2:18 am

16 cycles wrote:
JJ16 wrote:

a 50/50 mix vs 100 mix either side of the spectrum would yield different results leading me to believe the meth and water both have different functions...

think you totally missed my point bruh.

fully aware of water meth mixtures...i was speaking about the statement persons make about by using a water meth system your octane is now 100..or if you use super and meth you get a higher octane than premium etc

plus 100% meth is NEVER recommended.... Just a sidenote as you said 100 mix na...next thing someone pwn themself and say you say 100 meth mix lol

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » March 13th, 2014, 3:51 am

JJ16 wrote:
16 cycles wrote:
JJ16 wrote:

think you totally missed my point bruh.

fully aware of water meth mixtures...i was speaking about the statement persons make about by using a water meth system your octane is now 100..or if you use super and meth you get a higher octane than premium etc

plus 100% meth is NEVER recommended.... Just a sidenote as you said 100 mix na...next thing someone pwn themself and say you say 100 meth mix lol

You're right I think,

It's real benefits doesn't come from raising the octane value of your fuel. It's just how manufacturers choose to phrase the benefits. Customers have since taken that and applied their own interpretation.

Manufacturers almost always say that water/meth will give you the ability to advance timing and raise boost to levels similar to that of 100+ octane. They never really say that your fuel mixture will become 100+ octane.

A higher octane fuel needs higher temperatures and compression to pre ignite. Water/meth will keep the temperature down in the combustion chamber to mitigate against pre ignition thus providing SIMILAR benefits to a higher octane fuel. The benefit is in the final result, not so much the method.

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 19th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Aaron 2NR wrote:Installing an aem kit in my sti this week...retuning after carnival unless I get back the car on thursday...
There are a lot of people with different views on kits..a lot of people use the aem locally because of the cost and it is universal...

Hey Aaron, any news yet on the upgrade?..how did it go?

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 19th, 2014, 4:33 pm

legacyspecb wrote:I have an '08 spec b and to be honest meth eh really for getting those big HP gains especially on the stock exhaust and turbo

however, u can have the car running safer with more aggressive timing as u'd benefit from the higher octane of the meth which is similar to the JDM guys running 98+ RON

meth will optimize the car's true capabilities but in no way are you goin to touch an STI other than give it a good chase lol

So legacyspecb... did you install one in your 08 spec b?
I was hearing with stock parts (with retune)... you can increase the boost by about 2-3 psi and timing by about 3-4 degrees....which would probably result in about 20-30 hp gains. (also heard for every 1psi increase you get about 8-10 hp???)... if this is indeed possible...those gains sound decent IMO.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 19th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Densil wrote:
Aaron 2NR wrote:Installing an aem kit in my sti this week...retuning after carnival unless I get back the car on thursday...

Hey Aaron, any news yet on the upgrade?..how did it go?

busy day now getting a chance to reply...

kit has been installed without any problems...i am having an issue with my failsafe gauge but AEM told me they are sending me a new one...its only powering on via usb...

car is still being tuned...i used the largest nozzle on mine...my mech did a small mod on the nozzle to ensure it doesn't pop out...

i have a 5 gallon tank to install instead to carry around a backup of methanol with me...

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » March 20th, 2014, 2:56 am

I used the smaller meth nozzle (315cc) on my setup. In hindsight I wish I had used the bigger one when we dialed in the car. I might have been able to run a slight bit more boost and timing

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 21st, 2014, 9:01 am

Lance wrote:I used the smaller meth nozzle (315cc) on my setup. In hindsight I wish I had used the bigger one when we dialed in the car. I might have been able to run a slight bit more boost and timing

Hey lance..tell us a little more about your experience... What car did you install it in?...did you notice or record any performance gains etc

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » March 22nd, 2014, 7:43 pm

I installed it in an 04 Wrx wagon.

The car has a twinscroll setup with an 04 STi ej207 engine with the oem vf37 turbo and stock injectors.

I don't have dyno figures before the meth injection but afterwards on a minimal amount of meth (small nozzle) I was able to get approx 300whp on 20psi.

I honestly completely forgot to change the nozzle before tuning and it was actually only 2 weeks ago It dawned on me that the 315cc was in the car.

I probably could have squeezed some more boost and timing with the larger nozzle.

The tune isn't very aggressive as I wanted the meth injection to be more of a safety measure. We did however add mild aggression and had the car running 3psi over stock (for that engine and turbo) and a fair amount of additional advance timing.

Methanol injection can be used either way, as a safely margin or a substitute for higher octane fuel or anywhere in between.

Every vehicle is different so what worked for me may not work for someone else. It's important that the tuner not apply a hard and fast rule but instead pay close attention to how that particular vehicle is behaving to the rom adjustments.

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 23rd, 2014, 5:35 pm

Cool man. ... I was talking to a friend today... and he was kinda advising me too stay away for digging up too much in the car. .. .. he has a legacy also...I was really hoping to get some more power from the meth .... But I'm not sure now if it's worth the headache. ... is it?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 23rd, 2014, 6:38 pm

there isn't really much headache involved in a meth kit really...once you install and tune all left to do is ensure your tank isn't empty....and it depends on how aggressive you are tuned as well as how you drive that the tank will be depleted fast....

type_r_teggy
Street 2NR

Postby type_r_teggy » April 9th, 2014, 8:35 am

Densil wrote:Cool man. ... I was talking to a friend today... and he was kinda advising me too stay away for digging up too much in the car. .. .. he has a legacy also...I was really hoping to get some more power from the meth .... But I'm not sure now if it's worth the headache. ... is it?

stock map, bone stock=very reliable car
have 08 gt myself, dont touch anything, it isnt a racing car so mods make little to no sense, to me is just wasting money. Only mod to ME making lil sense is K&N drop in, cut out d cat and call that george..lol
put some nice aggressive wheels, lower it alil, sti front lip

Bess car bro!

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » April 9th, 2014, 8:24 pm

http://www.scoobytnt.com/threads/11235-rudy/page2

^found a write up of install done locally (DIY) with dyno chart tuned for safety on a single scroll application..

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » April 15th, 2014, 9:20 pm

type_r_teggy wrote:
Densil wrote:Cool man. ... I was talking to a friend today... and he was kinda advising me too stay away for digging up too much in the car. .. .. he has a legacy also...I was really hoping to get some more power from the meth .... But I'm not sure now if it's worth the headache. ... is it?

stock map, bone stock=very reliable car
have 08 gt myself, dont touch anything, it isnt a racing car so mods make little to no sense, to me is just wasting money. Only mod to ME making lil sense is K&N drop in, cut out d cat and call that george..lol
put some nice aggressive wheels, lower it alil, sti front lip

Bess car bro!

Those upgrades sound good, But i like quiet......not sure how loud exhaust upgrades will make the car...... BTW i like my original rims ( call me old fashion) lol

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » April 16th, 2014, 11:06 pm

my tuner tuned over a legacy...he said the car is amazing with the new tune...

just got off the dyno with mine...stock engine and turbo..just simple bolt ons and methanol

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » April 17th, 2014, 4:14 pm

@ Aaron did that bracket for the WMI bottle come with the kit?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » April 17th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Nope fab it

Civic 2nr
Sweet on this forum

Postby Civic 2nr » April 21st, 2014, 7:13 pm

meth adds a certain margin of safety once tuned properly. however on a legacy i went thro all the stages with mines and ended up removing it as i found it to be a hassle on a daily driven car. i retuned and got very similar results without meth compared to my nos with meth.

JJ16
30 pounds of Boost

Postby JJ16 » April 25th, 2014, 10:23 am

^^ you mind sharing what the hassle was?

Civic 2nr
Sweet on this forum

Postby Civic 2nr » April 25th, 2014, 3:00 pm

finding meth , mixing in exact , fulling everyday, and always poping out some line

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”