TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EEng
Ricer

Re: The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Postby EEng » September 12th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Winbook TW700, cheap brand but I guess would work fine for a single application such as logging and has multiple USB ports. Was considering this sometime ago
Attachments
41cCrXGMZ8L._SL1000_.jpg

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 13th, 2015, 2:06 am

I actually have one of these. I might hack it to hardwire an external power button to it.

This is my best option thus far.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 25th, 2015, 7:39 am

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dy ... graph.html

^ dyno graph analyzed...gear ratios etc.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 4th, 2015, 8:34 am

bump....any more tuning adventures?

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 4th, 2015, 8:57 am

hmm, well i made a recent personal discovery. Ive heard for years that oil lowers octane and introduces knock, however not a single person/forum could provide definite numbers. I used to consistently get about 1-3 degrees knock randomly all over the rpm range & Ive always had a moderate bit of blow by esp since modified. Last weekend i decided to install the Crawford AOS to completely eliminate the stock system. Cleaned out my intake pipes and fmic with gas and water. Since then I have driven aggressively, with little mechanical compassion in an event to purposely introduce knock however my iam is a solid 1. Not a single knock event. Intake pipes are now bone dry. My take is that oil in the intake significantly introduces knock. My engine even sounds so much better and revs are much smoother and of course idle is DEAD quiet & stable.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » November 4th, 2015, 9:13 am

yeh oil def cause it and kill the plugs. I have the perrin AOS to install in mine when i change my turbo....

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » November 4th, 2015, 9:49 am

@ tuning adventure -

2/10

- swapped in thicker i/c from tube and fin 2.75in to 3.5in bar an plate
-re-routed the vta system to recirculate - changed out bov and piping
-dynoed -gained 30whp and 30wtq across entire power band with 0 knock

8/10

-topped up 1/4 tank(gas station V) of gas from the existing 1/2 tank(gas station A - same tank used on the 8/10 dyno run)

-swapped out stock iwg for a forge and gapped plugs to 24thou
- smoother dyno graph- less boost to make same power

-encountered bad gas while on dyno (3rd pull) - saw one count of knock develop into multiple counts at lower rpms for successive runs even though we were retarding values to eliminate the knock - aborted dyno session as we realized something was off.

-compression test motor - all cylinders within manufacturer specs

-added meth to tank - knock minimized significantly

-checked someone in area who filled at gas station V - same problems - his ecu has pulled boost.
-issue minimized with race gas but still persisting - recommended meth as it will help to pull water into the mixture - will update if it helps more than the race gas.

Learned alot over that week....

edit - just wanted to add that there was no change in cooling of the radiator for the thicker fmic core - i've monitored temps before and after change of i/c with water temp gauge that was installed a while now...

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 5th, 2015, 7:10 am

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:hmm, well i made a recent personal discovery. Ive heard for years that oil lowers octane and introduces knock, however not a single person/forum could provide definite numbers. I used to consistently get about 1-3 degrees knock randomly all over the rpm range & Ive always had a moderate bit of blow by esp since modified. Last weekend i decided to install the Crawford AOS to completely eliminate the stock system. Cleaned out my intake pipes and fmic with gas and water. Since then I have driven aggressively, with little mechanical compassion in an event to purposely introduce knock however my iam is a solid 1. Not a single knock event. Intake pipes are now bone dry. My take is that oil in the intake significantly introduces knock. My engine even sounds so much better and revs are much smoother and of course idle is DEAD quiet & stable.

Excessive oil in the intake system will reduce your knock threshold.

If you haven't cleaned it in a very long time then it would definitely pose a problem.

But if someone has to regularly clean their system then I would argue that its just a manifestation of a bigger problem (usually a blow-by issue). Unless a person is running excessive boost then it usually points a compression problem (although a bad turbo can be an issue too).

I also run a AOS though. A great upgrade to reduce long term maintenance (providing that the problem is not bigger than this).

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 5th, 2015, 8:08 am

Its an issue ive been chasing since i got the car. It continued even with the new engine, so then i suspected the turbo. Ive cleaned my intake a few times but it comes back on the next boost session. Since the AOS it has been completely dry. By now my engine bay would be covered with a film of oil due to bov venting. I guess i have above avg blow by, but i also hit over 20psi often.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » November 5th, 2015, 8:11 am

once you get to that range blow by make itself present.

on the circuit track only after aboutt 5 laps i start seeing symptoms of it but i also have a bad turbo seal so decided to not race until then.

the grimmspeed AOS is fine for street and light tracking...

glad to know the AOS is assisting with your issue tho...

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 5th, 2015, 10:28 am

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:Its an issue ive been chasing since i got the car. It continued even with the new engine, so then i suspected the turbo. Ive cleaned my intake a few times but it comes back on the next boost session. Since the AOS it has been completely dry. By now my engine bay would be covered with a film of oil due to bov venting. I guess i have above avg blow by, but i also hit over 20psi often.

Yeah this does sound like above average blow by. Are you running a stock piston bore?

In any event, if you're not detonating with the AOS installed then I would assume that its still within reason.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

castortroy
Street 2NR

Postby castortroy » November 5th, 2015, 9:54 pm

So what are your opinions on aos/catch cans? I see there's a bunch available

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 6th, 2015, 3:34 am

castortroy wrote:So what are your opinions on aos/catch cans? I see there's a bunch available

They all will serve a similar purpose.

If you go with a traditional two port catch can then you will typically need 2 cans for our intake system.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 6th, 2015, 8:10 am

EXCELLENT resource for comparing turbo specifications:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2559017

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » November 6th, 2015, 8:50 am

castortroy wrote:So what are your opinions on aos/catch cans? I see there's a bunch available

http://www.maperformance.com/blog/best- ... -crawford/

castortroy
Street 2NR

Postby castortroy » November 8th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Nice read there guys, thanks!

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » November 12th, 2015, 8:59 am

how many samples per second are reasonable for logging?

trying standalone tactrix logging - getting for:-

- sample ID
- time
- boost,
-knocksum,
-rpm to log every 0.075 seconds

baud rate 9600 on a 32MB fat32 formatted card...

trying to tweak other parameters via scripting but its been a learning curve...

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 12th, 2015, 10:06 am

This is a good question. I never checked my sampling rate but I've always tried to keep the parameters being logged to a minimum to keep resolution up.

How badly is it affected when you add parameters?

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » November 12th, 2015, 11:54 am

so far it seems a constant 0.075s sample rate even if i add or minus a a few values.

I will try with just two values to confirm then move on to a smaller microSD formatted to fat16...

will update once i have an answer...

querying the AFR is problematic for standalone logging (for me) with the tactrix 2.0 ...have not seen a solution other than using the wideband via 2.5mm stereo jack...

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 12th, 2015, 5:06 pm

What wideband setup are you using?

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » November 12th, 2015, 6:36 pm

^ running an AEM UEGO WB - it should have an analogue voltage output that i can set up on a 2.5mm jack and plug into the tactrix....

did some testing with a smaller card....results as follows:-

4GB Kingston card - class 4 formatted to fat32 with 16KB packets

8 parameters logged (same as with 32GB) - same 0.075s per clock (13 samples per second)

edited the logcfg.txt to just 4 parameters - RPM, Timing, AFR, Boost
got the sample clock to 0.03 seconds

added a 5th parameter - knocksum
sample clock 0.04 seconds - which gives 25 samples per second resolution

i will retest with a larger 32MB card to see if i can get the same sample resolution with the 5 parameter selection.

I was unable to format to fat16 using windows XP or windows 10 ...

still have to resolve the AFR log - getting a constant value on the narrowband regardless of what the external wideband (the one used for tuning) says...

hope this helps someone oneday...

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 13th, 2015, 3:12 am

This is good information.

I've never actually did stand alone logging from the tactix, it's always been with romraider. But I can definitely see the advantages of standalone once you can get the wideband setup correctly.

For a/f logging with the aem I just went the traditional way with a serial/USB cable

ImageUploadedByTriniTuner1447398728.746446.jpg

phaze
3NE 2NR for life

Postby phaze » November 13th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Lots of reading and information. Currently doing all my upgrades myself and hoping to do my own tuning....we have built pc computers using the double din in vehicles, a 7" touchscreen monitor and a home built pc that's small enough to fit under a car seat in a case with fans to cool. The idea was to have a "car pc" that had many other additional functions besides OBD connection for logging, playing music, watching movies, rearview camera, gps, we had all those functional. tuning was the next step without the need for a laptop. Even had ideas of additional sensors on the car for rain sensors unlocking the vehicle and such. With a car pc the options are limitless....just an idea whilst you setup your screen for logging. Not too mention limitless USB connections.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » November 13th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Props for taking on building a car comp... was thinking of something like that with a raspberry pi....

The thing is though...i find even the radio to be distracting....i will idle in traffic and listen for any anomalies and sound of engine....

Update us on the car comp when you get some time pls...

phaze
3NE 2NR for life

Postby phaze » November 13th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Actually the car pc was a project in mind we wanted to try and did.....in a 323 mazda and a vrg galant. They worked brillianty even the gps and that was a few years ago before waze was around. I however highly doubt we may do the same to my sti. Lol. Any information that someone may need though in building one I will gladly try to help

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 15th, 2015, 6:11 pm

One of the best threads on tuner. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 16th, 2015, 7:33 am

I agree,

We are all learning and I still consider myself an extreme novice. But I think that these are things we should all have some idea about. So please feel free to ask any questions.

phaze
3NE 2NR for life

Postby phaze » November 16th, 2015, 7:42 am

Aye Lance do you think that the billet wastegate actuator will hold boost just a but longer? I've read that it's not really an upgrade from the stock per say unless the stock has issues with holding boost.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 16th, 2015, 8:02 am

phaze wrote:Aye Lance do you think that the billet wastegate actuator will hold boost just a but longer? I've read that it's not really an upgrade from the stock per say unless the stock has issues with holding boost.

I would argue that its an upgrade over stock depends on how much boost you plan to run.

If you're at stock boost levels then I wouldn't expect any sort of drastic improvements, it might probably help you smooth out the response.

Anything over 18psi I would definitely consider getting a spring adjustable actuator. The stock spring might be somewhere around 7-9psi probably (not too sure)? Rule of thumb is that the system will efficiently create boost pressure twice your mechanical wastegate spring. So you're probably stepping out this range at about 17-18psi.

Subaru would have setup the wastegate with the bare minimum spring pressure needed to efficiently hit OEM target boost. They do this primarily for safety reasons. When your car goes into safe mode the ECU reverts to wastegate boost to preserve the engine. The higher the spring pressure the more wastegate boost and the more dangerous it is for the vehicle in safe more (so its in their best interest to keep it low as possible).

Regardless, any boost over that range and your wastegate is going to have a difficult time staying closed. It may prematurely open or give you a very choppy top end response.

phaze
3NE 2NR for life

Postby phaze » November 16th, 2015, 9:13 am

Understood. Ok looks like another investment in the mix.

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”