TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Lance
punchin NOS

Re: The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Postby Lance » May 5th, 2017, 5:25 am

Alot of people do it for the newer model STis I.e. seperate maps for sport, sport sharp etc.

If the BL5 mode switching works in the same manner then you have no problem setting up alternative maps for each mode.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » May 5th, 2017, 5:27 am

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:well from what ive seen online 200tq is easy, but im not going for all out power, thats for the legacy. With the forester i tow, go offroad, and carry loads/ppl/pets constantly. The supercharger's benefit is that i get torque from idle all the way through the rev range, rather than waiting for turbo spool. Should be excellent for a daily driver, extremely responsive. Very reliable setup, as this is a fixed displacement supercharger. Cooled with an Air>water intercooler i should have no heatsoak. Tuning should be interesting..

Here is a typical dyno of a m62 on a subaru with 5psi.

Interesting stuff man. Keep us updated

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 16th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Tapped em, threaded the bolts, measured the bolts, cut the bolts almost flush and then threaded up with jb weld.
Grinded them down after.
Some minor porting done.
Tgv's and runners reinstalled.
Sender for oil pressure gauge in, wideband in, coolant temp and meth kit next.
So far so good. Upgraded the injectors to 550cc in case i wanna increase power in time to come. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 17th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Shout out to ted v2 for the assistance to put up the runners and tgv's.
This is where I am at right now. ImageImage

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » June 18th, 2017, 4:04 am

Monitor afrs post deletes to make sure it's in check

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » June 18th, 2017, 6:43 am

Lance. Where would the water meth nozzle be best mounted in a setup using a stock intercooler?

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » June 18th, 2017, 8:10 am

IMO, opposite and inline with the throttle body inlet between the two intercooler inlets from the top. This position allows enough time for cooling and it is close to, but not directly over the turbo outlet into the intercooler...you don't want spraying into the outlet. Anywhere else wouldn't make much sense as u the hot air needs to be cooled immediately upon entering the intercooler. Spraying too far from the turbo inlet would cool air unevenly and hot air moves faster than cooler air...So guess which is most likely to get to the throttle body first?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 18th, 2017, 9:34 am

I myself thought about the same location as racedriverpro but imo that might be a dead zone for air flow when i think about it.
Even this recommends otherwise and so did daniel from by aditi.

Im open to correction on this. In my mind it should have been near the start of the ic or slightly before it in order to cool it. But with the wmi kit you looking at lower operating temps overall and therefore less heat soak of the tmic.

Air wick old ride looking nice btwImageImageImage

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Postby air wick » June 18th, 2017, 10:01 am

^ Thx eh... the new owner makes me proud, and it did well on the first tune, I expect more to come...

I plan to come out with something newer soon besides the Forester... like a new model STi

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » June 18th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Hey fellas I own a 08 Impreza s-gt.. just curious about a retune to super gas.. what the powerloss will be like and if there are any mods I can do so when I retune I'll be at almost the same power.. my engine is bone stock btw

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » June 18th, 2017, 2:34 pm

^^Water-meth is your best option.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » June 18th, 2017, 3:11 pm

I am considering it.. although I don't like the idea of having something extra to top up..

Also has anyone here had any luck with reading PIDs from a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter..

I've only had luck viewing error codes in torque pro.. I have an old tactrix cable but would like to know if I can view info straight from my phone

My mom has a 1.5 08 Impreza and it reads all the engine information fine.. I just can't get it to work with my sgt impreza

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » June 18th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:Lance. Where would the water meth nozzle be best mounted in a setup using a stock intercooler?

To be honest,

The stock top mount setup on the Subaru makes finding a good position for the nozzle very difficult.

Most manufacturers (aem for example) recommends post intercooler and about minimum 6" from the throttle body. The top mount setup up fortunately doesn't allow for this or anything close to it.

When I had a top mount I had mine mounted at the bottom of the intercooler just before the throttle body inlet.

It worked OK as the Subaru intake manifold has long runners so it still allowed for ample space for full atomisation.

What I think was problematic was situations under partial throttle where the meth would activate. With the nozzle so close to the throttle plate, under partial throttle the blade isn't fully open so it's likely that it will restrict the spray patter and droplets will gather. I'm not sure how much a problem it was, but just something to consider.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » June 18th, 2017, 6:26 pm

That last bit is what I was thinking about. even told nervewrecker about it

Let's see whats the situation.

Sent from my GT-I9060C using TriniTuner mobile app

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 18th, 2017, 9:03 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:I am considering it.. although I don't like the idea of having something extra to top up..

Also has anyone here had any luck with reading PIDs from a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter..

I've only had luck viewing error codes in torque pro.. I have an old tactrix cable but would like to know if I can view info straight from my phone

My mom has a 1.5 08 Impreza and it reads all the engine information fine.. I just can't get it to work with my sgt impreza

Mine works fine.
Usually pull up info on my phone or tab.

I agree the stock tmic leaves some to be desired wrt nozzle placement. Have to plan this out.

Wrt the tune for super, its a noticeable loss in power. Best bet is the wm kit. I understand you use less fuel and the meth lasts awhile.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » June 18th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Under the tmic, right before the inlet for the intake manifold is where most people put it.. if you have one of those oversized tmic I've seen it run on the exposed piping..

The droplets gathering thing is interesting.. but if the wm is activating you normally would be into boost, so with the amount of air rushing in will drops really be able to gather?

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » June 19th, 2017, 2:55 am

infinite_RPM wrote:Under the tmic, right before the inlet for the intake manifold is where most people put it.. if you have one of those oversized tmic I've seen it run on the exposed piping..

The droplets gathering thing is interesting.. but if the wm is activating you normally would be into boost, so with the amount of air rushing in will drops really be able to gather?

With a boost or idc setup you're likely to start spraying meth at partial throttle. For example, if you are running a progressive boost control setup you're probably going to start spraying meth at about 5-7psi and you're likely to hit that kind of boost without going WOT and under regular driving circumstances.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 19th, 2017, 9:38 am

Partial open throttle under boost should create a low pressure high velocity flow into the TB similar to how a venturi tube works (in my mind).
Wider open it is, higher the boost pressure, larger the flow, larger cross sectional diameter so in theory the velocity (not flow as i made a typo with just now due to morning coffee not registering yet) should be close to what it would be with the partial open throttle.

In my mind at least

Reference to Bernoulli's principle with the venturi tube and airplane wing:

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » June 19th, 2017, 10:58 am

The issue has more to do with the physical blockage that a partially open throttle blade will cause. I think it becomes more of an issue due to the proximity of the nozzle and the blade (not enough area to have achieved fill atomisation before).

This is why aem probably recommends more than 6" before the throttle body to begin with.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » June 19th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Aem recommends at least 3 inches before the throttle.. however they specifically noted that the nozzle should not be mounted on the throttle body or on a bend.

I was now reading it this morning on the website when nerve tell me bout the wm injection

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » June 19th, 2017, 2:34 pm

The premise is the same. It has to do with proper atomisation before the airflow encounters any physical restriction.

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » June 19th, 2017, 3:02 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Tapped em, threaded the bolts, measured the bolts, cut the bolts almost flush and then threaded up with jb weld.
Grinded them down after.
Some minor porting done.
Tgv's and runners reinstalled.
Sender for oil pressure gauge in, wideband in, coolant temp and meth kit next.
So far so good. Upgraded the injectors to 550cc in case i wanna increase power in time to come. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

JB weld is a no no.
It does not hold up weld to the constant thermal changes of the manifold and will in time break off and get sucked into the motor.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 19th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Thankfully its only on the bolt threads here.
The excess in some of the pics were what came through when i thread up the bolts. Insides have since been grinded down.
Will see how it holds up. If it does not, well aluminium welding is the next step

belalegosi
18 pounds of Boost

Postby belalegosi » June 19th, 2017, 7:44 pm

YOLO (seems appropriate).

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » June 20th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Drilling out the hole, tapping it for the bolt and using some thread sealant should have been sufficient for this.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » June 20th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Blue locktite is the flick. It isn't much from what I can recall but shouldn't be a issue because it's such a small amount.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 20th, 2017, 6:04 pm

I kinda iffy about the stuff as it seems kind of brittle when cured. Not much if anything to fall into the engine. If anything falling its the bolts falling out (into the engine bay). Where the bearings were drilled out its only like 5mm of material to drill and tap. So thats what holding it in place. Jb weld us just an assist and thread locker really.
If you ask me, i feel silicone might have been better on the treads but was following the method on nasoic.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » June 20th, 2017, 10:24 pm

JB weld should be fine. Ive used it on so many high temp/pressure fixes that have held up. When i did my first tgv maybe a decade ago i got them alum welded but I have also used jb weld on fmic piping to plug up water meth nozzle holes. Held for years until i switched back to tmic. No leaks or any sign of coming loose. Boost was over 20psi daily.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » June 23rd, 2017, 8:25 pm

I got this from a company regarding third Bluetooth OBD2 reader.

I think pre 2010 uses SSM while Newer ones use a more standard coding- EOBD, JOBD etc

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » June 23rd, 2017, 9:07 pm

Just so u know, that's for a BAFX OBDii Bluetooth reader.

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”