TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Postby infinite_RPM » September 18th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:
infinite_RPM wrote:Anybody ever changed turbo on the ej20x? Was wondering if the kinugawa turbos are bolt on or if the up and downpipes have to be modified..

Kinugawa twin scroll is sti style, which is different to legacy twins, so you would need new flanges at a minimum. Thats what i found when i removed my old manifold a few days ago. He used the legacy uppipe and just cut and weld on sti flanges.

What model turbo u used? And Do you get boost right up to 7krm now?

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » September 19th, 2017, 12:34 am

i had a vf37, but upgraded to blouch 1.5 xtr twin scroll.

IMG_8237.JPG

Still doing the install among a few other things, should be on the road in a week or 2.

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » September 19th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Where did you get the turbo

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » September 19th, 2017, 8:54 pm

ordered from blouch..

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » September 20th, 2017, 9:37 am

very nice... i was going that route until blouch told me their twin scroll won't last on a track car....

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » September 20th, 2017, 11:33 am

Aaron 2NR wrote:very nice... i was going that route until blouch told me their twin scroll won't last on a track car....

This will be a very capable street car. Not forging internals, Legacy engines already come with forged crank and rods with 9.5 compression. Aiming for 350-400whp max but with a very nice torque curve.

Forester is the daily with ez30 torque should be wonderful to drive around with, keeping the 4eat for traffic and offroad fun, since i can lock the diffs by switch.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » September 21st, 2017, 4:46 am

The rods or crank was never really the problem with Subaru rotating assembly strength.

All Subaru cranks are actually forged. Some just are treated differently.

Pistons, well that's a different story.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » September 21st, 2017, 9:21 am

Yeah i will agree with that statement. I plan on running premium + methanol to combat detonation, but not going crazy with power levels. Ive seen oem pistons live long around those levels with a good tune + fuel so ill see how it goes.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » October 9th, 2017, 7:26 pm

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 18910.html

Any opinions on this? Guy had to upgrade the regulator and injectors but it works

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » October 9th, 2017, 7:59 pm

That is pretty cool. I would do something like that on a daily given a cheap kit and easy fill up at stations.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » October 21st, 2017, 10:22 pm

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:i had a vf37, but upgraded to blouch 1.5 xtr twin scroll.

Still doing the install among a few other things, should be on the road in a week or 2.

Finally got it running. sprang a minor oil cooler leak on the dyno so i have some little things to do.

It made 299whp on 18psi. injectors @about 54%. Turbo hasnt even begun breathing yet. Spool is kept in check so as not to kill the trans. Ryan strongly suggests i upgrade the transmission or swap a gearbox before he does anymore, so until i decide, i have a very capable DD. Its so much more fun to drive.

Car is unbelievably smooth. ID injectors are much better than stock. idles likes butter and the car is noticeably quieter on WOT.

Needless to say im very happy with the result.

Now onto the ez30 forester!

(Pulls were done in 2nd gear, so low numbers but road tune on 3rd)

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » October 21st, 2017, 10:43 pm

Have been wondering how Ryan's tune would perform against Silvermike's....

Great numbers. Nothing compares to the satisfaction after hard work. Enjoy.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » October 22nd, 2017, 6:50 am

Trying to extrapolate power potential by using current boost level as a gauge is likely to be problematic. Ignition timing is the other half of the story. You can only make a sound statement about how much power is left on the table by knowing both parameters as they currently stand.

Take a look at this video:

Once I was running a VF sized turbo on a 207. I was making 300whp at 20psi. It was nice knowing the car has such output on ONLY 20psi. Then I was able to pull the ignition map and saw the amount of timing I was running. I damn near shat myself (and not for good reason).

This is not to say that you're in the position I was in. The 1.5 is a stout unit with good output, so its likely that turning up the boost will yield you a significant increase in power.

My comment was more for general insights.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » October 22nd, 2017, 8:32 am

Lance wrote:Trying to extrapolate power potential by using current boost level as a gauge is likely to be problematic. Ignition timing is the other half of the story. You can only make a sound statement about how much power is left on the table by knowing both parameters as they currently stand.

Take a look at this video:

Once I was running a VF sized turbo on a 207. I was making 300whp at 20psi. It was nice knowing the car has such output on ONLY 20psi. Then I was able to pull the ignition map and saw the amount of timing I was running. I damn near shat myself (and not for good reason).

This is not to say that you're in the position I was in. The 1.5 is a stout unit with good output, so its likely that turning up the boost will yield you a significant increase in power.

My comment was more for general insights.
Agreed on general info..once we build up and not pull down each other we will have progress in the Subaru community and by extension the enthusiast community.

Doing it right should be priority and would yield progress.

Really nice to see guys being open about their builds and tuning. Hope it continues.

Lance.. could relate to the ignition timing. From my understanding ignition timing can be used to make alot of power ie greater yield through manipulation. When it's manipulation is done in isolation it messes up the stability of the tune...so basically you get alot of power until one factor of the tune eg iat is incongruent and knock occurs and timing is pulled and eventually IAM. When this happens overtime you would now be able to tell how stable a tune and how much power you may be putting down consistently.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » October 22nd, 2017, 8:53 am

Given the quality of fuel we have locally and the relatively high compression ratio that boosted subarus run (approx. 8.5:1), most of our setups are knock limited rather than torque limited (as per the video I posted).

In these sorts and conditions and constraints, ignition timing becomes critical. Yet it seems to be an after thought for most. Whenever I get my car tune, I am always interested to log and know exactly how much ignition timing i'm running across the powerband. You want to make sure that your ignition timing allows a few degrees for a safe knock margin.

The stability you're referring to racedriverpro is directly related to the knock margin that the tune allows for (which is a massive factor in setting up your ignition timing).
Last edited by Lance on October 22nd, 2017, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » October 22nd, 2017, 8:58 am

Totally agree with what you guys are saying. Actually my tune is very conservative since the transmission is slipping ever so slightly as is. Torque has to be gradual for the 5eat to last. Also the fact that its an automatic is holding me back. If i did a manual swap i would be well over 300whp with this tune.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » October 22nd, 2017, 9:04 am

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:Totally agree with what you guys are saying. Actually my tune is very conservative since the transmission is slipping ever so slightly as is. Torque has to be gradual for the 5eat to last. Also the fact that its an automatic is holding me back. If i did a manual swap i would be well over 300whp with this tune.
Cool....wayss and men preaching that the 5eat good for about 350-400whp.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » October 22nd, 2017, 9:07 am

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:Totally agree with what you guys are saying. Actually my tune is very conservative since the transmission is slipping ever so slightly as is. Torque has to be gradual for the 5eat to last. Also the fact that its an automatic is holding me back. If i did a manual swap i would be well over 300whp with this tune.

Thanks for sharing man.

Keep us updated as both builds progress.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » October 22nd, 2017, 9:14 am

racedriverpro wrote:
Cool....wayss and men preaching that the 5eat good for about 350-400whp.

Once u upgrade valvebody and t.converter, start adding clutch plates etc it can hold. Trans upgrades arent cheap though: Valvebody upgrades are about 700usd excluding shipping and you have to send yours out for the work. There is a 5eat legacy doing 400whp from tobago. I saw the dyno yesterday. Really crazy stuff but that trans is completely built with a huge turbo. Ill probably swap in a sti box since i like sideways action and launches.

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 9th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Why did you decide to go top feed injectors? Was the side feed insufficient? Was it easier to tune?

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 9th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Ive read on numerous forums that side feeds over 750cc are difficult to work with: Idle issues, inconsistent fueling etc. also the brand and size I wanted(Injector Dynamics) only came in top feed so it made sense to do the conversion. I still have a set of 720cc side feeds new in the box that i never even bothered using. I honestly forgot i had them, will probably post them up for sale soon.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 9th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Legacy update: Found that the wastegate and bov were opening during low throttle. Also started leaning out bad at high rpms. On advice of the tuner i replaced fuel pump. previous owner said he put in a walbro but i pulled out the stock pump..figures. Filter was quite dirty too. replaced with a dw65c. Adjusted wastegate and bov and the car feels like a different animal. I wanted to replace the stock intake with a grimmspeed unit but ill hold off anymore engine mods for now as the 5eat days are definitely numbered. I already have a 6 speed dccd box waiting to go in but have to finish the forester first.

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 10th, 2017, 2:42 pm

I installed the gm boost control solenoid. Much quicker spool that oem.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 10th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Animal Pak wrote:I installed the gm boost control solenoid. Much quicker spool that oem.
I find the oem spools real fast....

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 10th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I recently put my foz through some upgrades as well
IMG-20170914-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20170914-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20170728-WA0007.jpg
20171014_110140.jpg
20171014_110348.jpg
Attachments
20171014_110327.jpg
20171108_133319.jpg

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 10th, 2017, 2:49 pm

On stock td04 makes a lil over 200

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 11th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Thats pretty good actually.. i made about 240 on a vf37 turbo. Not really that far off

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » November 13th, 2017, 9:11 am

Hey guys just curious what cc size are the ej20x injectors..

Planning to do some upgrades..
Injectors, fuel pump, decat, axleback up boost and retune..

Still considering water-meth..

anyway the only thing I not sure about is the capacity of the current fuel injectors I have and if the sti pinks flow more..

Looking for 276awhp max

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 13th, 2017, 10:24 am

infinite_RPM wrote:Hey guys just curious what cc size are the ej20x injectors..

Planning to do some upgrades..
Injectors, fuel pump, decat, axleback up boost and retune..

Still considering water-meth..

anyway the only thing I not sure about is the capacity of the current fuel injectors I have and if the sti pinks flow more..

Looking for 276awhp max
525-550cc

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » November 15th, 2017, 12:41 am

Animal Pak wrote:I recently put my foz through some upgrades as well 20171014_110348.jpg20171014_110140.jpgIMG-20170728-WA0007.jpgIMG-20170914-WA0005.jpgIMG-20170914-WA0003.jpg

Lovely intake. Where'd you get that from?

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”