TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Mazda BJ5W Rear Suspension (Help Please!!!)

MAZDA People United - it continues here

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

R_Parag
Ricer

Mazda BJ5W Rear Suspension (Help Please!!!)

Postby R_Parag » September 27th, 2008, 5:47 pm

Hi Forum

I recently purchased a Mazda Familia Wagon (bj5w) year- 2000.
I bought some 16" rims and bought new dunlop's 205 -50- 16".
What I noticed was that the rear of the car can't take much weight. I went from Chaguanas to Siparia and I had a really awful ride with only two passengers at the rear seat.
Everytime I am going up a hill or on the highway with the roads so wavey the tyres seem to touch and a noise is emitting from the rear of the vehicle seemingly the tyres touching. I do a lot of beaches and at least I would like to take people with me and also my cooler and gears. Right now it seems hopeless.
I have new back shocks (kyb). The front is o.k.
I passed my hands on the inner lip of the wheel well and I am getting some greasy substance on my fingers slightly. The tyres are about one(1) inch to the rear fender What can I do or use with the rear suspension to keep the back from lowering to touch the tires? I don't mind if the car is raised to resolve this issue.
I don't really like the idea of cutting the inner lip. I need some other alternative/s whether cheap or expensive, pros and cons too. Thank you.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » September 27th, 2008, 8:05 pm

the greasy stuff is mostly whatever tyre dressing you use and dirt
are you certain the shocks you got are for the wagon? what is the mileage on the car?
you may need new springs if the car was used heavily previously to transport stuff
did the previous owner cut the springs or modify the suspension?

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » September 27th, 2008, 8:31 pm

not really i had the the same problem with my bj sedan was running 205/50/15 and with two kids in the back it used to touch like crazy
turns out the problems are two and both are easily solved
1)wrong offset on your rims which pushes the tyre too close to the lip
2)the tyre size 205mm width is not recommended by the manufacturer not that you can't use it without touching but you will have to either change your rim offset to one with a positive offset or change tyre size and use 195/50 series the 195 width is not much difference visually and handling wise
this is what id did i just changed tyre size to 195/50/15 and three adults in the back no touch until i corner hard just cause my car is naturally lower than most

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » September 28th, 2008, 1:52 am

i never had a problem with my bj sedan with mazdaspeed springs and busted shocks a 12 in the trunk and 5 people in the car never touched at all
may really just be the offset on the rim then didnt think about that good catch

TurboDrive
Riding on 17's

Postby TurboDrive » September 28th, 2008, 1:58 am

I running some kumho 205s on the stock alloy rim right now. no probs... But then again is 14's I have... :(

mazdamig
Riding on 17's

Postby mazdamig » September 28th, 2008, 7:29 am

Had that same problem change the springs. Spring gone get new ones.

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » September 28th, 2008, 8:02 am

Well i dont know if the springs will make a difference . I have to call SS to get price on the springs and also see if i can get the tyre changed with probably paying a difference. the tyres are two weeks old (like new). What is coilovers? Is this a spring that can be adjusted. what are the pros and cons?
will it work?
A mechanic in Chaguanas siad that if i changed the springs to a more harder or tenser one I risk the body being damaged where the shocks are being bolted on. is this true?

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 28th, 2008, 12:50 pm

what mechanic is that? cus i never heard anything like that, really sounds like springs though, i have 205 tyres , and i only ever touch once, was cornering real hard with a full car, and i have lowered springs(mazdaspeed), also happen to have a set of new brand mazdaspeed springs for sale...lol

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » September 28th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Yea ghostbuster do you have the same bj5w wagon cuz surely mines seriously can't take 2 persons weighing approx 250lbs. I kinda thinking it's the springs need changing buh seems there's no guarantee that is going solve the problem until I get it on the car. I have a foreign used mazda bj wagon and i dont know if the springs went through a lot of load befor i bought it

those mazdaspeed springs , dont they lower the car?
i need the rear lifted a little. Do you think I need the ORIGINAL NEW SPRINGS ?

THE FIRST STEP TO ADMITTING IZ DENIAL!!!

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 28th, 2008, 7:25 pm

well i have the sedan, i dont know if the springs are the same though, i have the stock springs used and i have the mazdaspeed springs new, these lower the car about 0.875 inches, but i never had issue with them, if you want the original springs juss pm me an offer, the other guys here should know if they will work, when the springs came off they were working fine, car never ran alot of load.

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » September 29th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Well I went by milage mack to do a fender roll...buh didn't get through today . tomorrow i will go back. see if that will work. I seeing very slight rings around tyre. Well hope that it works otherwise consider springs

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 29th, 2008, 10:37 pm

thing is sooner or later you gonna need springs if your spring bad, not pushing for sale or nuttin, just saying , what size rims do you have, cus i have 17" with 205/40 tires and i dont get no rubbing, i also had 215/45 tires with no rubbing and my back is lowered by over an inch, never had the rubbing issue, not with original springs and not with the aftermarket, and most of us here does drive and corner real hard, so you may need to stop going around the problem and tackle it head on, i am not absolutely sure, but i am thinking that dead springs will lead to faster shock turn over, you will go through shocks faster since the shock will bearing more load that it was designed for, so a fender roll may stop the rubbing but to what end, car will still drop down low at the back, still will not be able to take much load

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » September 29th, 2008, 10:44 pm

two things to remember in your case if you have a 323 its high as firetruck on de original springs and shocks but also what offset rims you using if you carry a rim with negative offset it will push the tyre further out from the hub centre line an cause it to rub if the offset is positive it will go in de opposite direction and dependin on de size of tyre and rim ( read width) it might touch de inside so becareful what you change an cost yuhself money either way de mazdaspeed springs is not a bad idea any how if i had de miney i take it now and i don't need it my bj rs is stock and low as hell

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » September 29th, 2008, 10:47 pm

i was jus reading something from the forum..Do yo think it could be the shocks that i am using? i bought new kyb's from M&N them. when the mechanic was puttin them up i noticed an extra lip/hole projecting from the side, seemin like it was for a next model of bj's or 323's. it seemed like this was to connect to sumting. but nevertheless it lined up. I knew i did not purchase the original shocks. I was jus thinking pricewise and japanese.
tell me what u think about the shocks. can they be the problem?

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 29th, 2008, 10:50 pm

my rims is offset 42, redbwoy is the stock one i recommendingl, i doubt very many ppl interested in the mazdaspeed ones, cus he said he trying to raise back the car na, and he say that he does carry plenty load, so stock might be ideal for him...

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » September 29th, 2008, 10:50 pm

hoss you sure your rear stabaliser bar hooked up dat soundin real strange eh

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » September 29th, 2008, 10:52 pm

yeah but wid de mazdaspeed ones an de right offset he could carry a family ah hog in de back de an dais
+42 or -42

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » September 29th, 2008, 10:52 pm

tte wrote:
Hey guys anyone know if the shocks they have listed for the protege in the states will fit the local 2002 BJ 323 for eg tokico hp blue shocks?

Not sure of the answer to your question, but I do know for a fact that there are 2 different types of shocks for the BJ models we have here - the Japan and the Singapore models.

The ride height of the JDM is slightly lower than the SDM, so the mount for the swaybay on the shocks are different for both models. I discovered this the hard way when I bought shocks for mine and then found out the swaybar mount was for the model with the lower ride height.

Although the mechanic told me I could have used the shocks if I bought the shorter swaybar links on the lower model. Be careful and do as much research as you can on this. Anyone else able to verify this?

I have a bj5w foreign used (2000). Second owner locally. this is the first time changing shocks on it. bought this car like 2 months now. Don't know when last they had changed shocks

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » September 29th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Ghostbusters
it does not cause any issues, i have the japanese shocks in the back right now, rides nice, but since the shoch is lower and the spring did not change, i think i getting a slightly higher amount of body roll, but not too much, fitment is not an issue

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » September 29th, 2008, 10:56 pm

de only difference on de shocks as far as i've seen is de place where the tab for de stay bar is place one is higher on de shock one lower mine is lower but if i want my car to look like a stomper de higher mounting ones helps wid that :D :D :D

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 29th, 2008, 11:08 pm

it sounding like if he mech did not connect the stabilizer bar yes, either that or is the bracket for the brake line he talking bout, and kyb is korean, not japanese, i hate kyb, they ride like crap compared to tokicos, , , , , , , , , , , , , u know i never see that one where allyuh say the link bar does be higher up, and my car is singapore..sounds interesting though

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » September 29th, 2008, 11:44 pm

for if it's any use:

old : tokico b25d-28-900g / 2a16624-b-6244

new: kyb excel g 333276 / 8d17

I dont want the car raised like a stomper...oh garrrd I still a young byoy.
if is springs then Three choices i have (1) masdaspeed
(2) stock
(3) auto exec (what is this?)

well until tomorrow leh yuh know how d roll went..Snoozish rite now

TurboDrive
Riding on 17's

Postby TurboDrive » September 30th, 2008, 6:50 am

ghostbusters wrote:it sounding like if he mech did not connect the stabilizer bar yes, either that or is the bracket for the brake line he talking bout, and kyb is korean, not japanese, i hate kyb, they ride like crap compared to tokicos, , , , , , , , , , , , , u know i never see that one where allyuh say the link bar does be higher up, and my car is singapore..sounds interesting though

If you could take off the back wheels and take a pic and post it up it might help with diagnosing your problem.

mazdamig
Riding on 17's

Postby mazdamig » September 30th, 2008, 7:57 am

It have a Tuner selling Tein springs check the forum.

FullStop
punchin NOS

Postby FullStop » September 30th, 2008, 8:28 am

yeah, tuner imports is his name,the guy with the tein springs, the autoexe's are very low plus it have no information about their rates, they are a japanese tuner brand that manufacture aftermarket for the mazda brand alone,,,

R_Parag
Ricer

Postby R_Parag » October 4th, 2008, 8:12 am

aye fellas ah changed the tyres to 205 45 16. no problems again. I jus not to pleased with the looks and the ride too much. It was the fastest possible solution. I dont know if the dunlop's rim guard together with the 50 series height was causing the tyre to mushroom out a lil too much thus rubbing on the shocks and fender lip.
Probably if cud of tried the 195 50 16 without a rim protector that may have worked.. but the tyre shop didn't have any. also cud hav been the offset on the rim (Racing Hart). I'll try getting some 205 50 16 and 195 50 16 without rim guards and try them and let you know how they work as time go by.
thanks ppl for all the advise.

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » October 4th, 2008, 10:56 am

red bwoy wrote:not really i had the the same problem with my bj sedan was running 205/50/15 and with two kids in the back it used to touch like crazy
turns out the problems are two and both are easily solved
1)wrong offset on your rims which pushes the tyre too close to the lip
2)the tyre size 205mm width is not recommended by the manufacturer not that you can't use it without touching but you will have to either change your rim offset to one with a positive offset or change tyre size and use 195/50 series the 195 width is not much difference visually and handling wise
this is what id did i just changed tyre size to 195/50/15 and three adults in the back no touch until i corner hard just cause my car is naturally lower than most

wellllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahm i told you so lol

just kiddin bro well done

Protege 2NR
Sweet on this forum

Postby Protege 2NR » October 7th, 2008, 5:09 pm

hmm i have myu original rims with some 205/60/14 and they running nice...not touching..filled with nitrogen and i find they wukking rel nice...i gonna try that ting that ghostbusters said and use 215 wen i put on meh lightweight 17''s

Advertisement

Return to “MAZDA”