MAZDA 6....Transmission Issue...Gears Not Changing

MAZDA People United - it continues here

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Archangel12
Riding on 13's

MAZDA 6....Transmission Issue...Gears Not Changing

Postby Archangel12 » May 5th, 2015, 11:21 pm

Hello All

I am a new member to this forum so please forgive my first long post....

I am the owner of a 2005 MAZDA Atenza. I am the third owner of this vehicle and I have this car approximately 2 years.

It is a 4 cylinder, 2.0, right hand drive sedan, gasoline powered, with Automatic Transmission.

A couple days ago I drove the car, parked and returned about 2 hours later and when I engaged the ignition my check engine and AT dashboard lights were illuminated.

I pulled the selector into reverse and the gear went in very rough with a slam and the entire car jerked. The gear selector indicator light (i.e. the letter "R")in the dashboard did not illuminate and the reverse beeper did not activate.

I was able to reverse but when I pulled into drive the gear seemed to have engaged but the car had no power. I tried going into manual mode but there was no change. None of the gear selector lights (P R N D or M) was activated either.

I had a diagnostic done and was told that communication could not be established with the Transmission Control Module but there was communication with the engine module.

The technician told me that it seems that the Electronics Control Unit is faulty and it needs to be changed. He also said the vehicle went into safe mode and is currently stayed in 3rd gear as a safety mechanism.

I checked the oil and the level is good so that rules out low oil level. I also checked the charge on the battery and it is over 12V when the car is off. It is approximately 13.9 volts with the car running, AC on and headlights on.

The cost to purchase, ship and clear an ECU is quite a bit .

-Before I consider making a purchase are there any other checks I can do or possible causes for the gears not to change?

-Is there any method by which I can confirm the ECU is faulty? Are there any diagnostic codes which indicate a failed ECU?

-Does anyone have a used working ECU for sale? Below are pictures of my ECU.

-If I purchase a used or new ECU can I simply pug it into my car slot and it will work or does it need to be configured in some way? See below for pictures of my ECU which I removed from the floor panel of passenger's side of the vehicle.

Any assistance / recommendations / advice will be most appreciated.
Many thanks.
Attachments
IMG_8654 (800x600).jpg

JesuEric
Sweet on this forum

Re: MAZDA 6....Transmission Issue...Gears Not Changing

Postby JesuEric » May 5th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Before you buy, try and find a friend or something who had a mazda 6 or mazda 6 ecu to plug it in to see if that is the problem

Spirit R
Street 2NR

Postby Spirit R » May 7th, 2015, 8:07 am

Check Ryotech on the forums he should be able to advise you

keron232
Riding on 13's

Postby keron232 » April 3rd, 2016, 11:43 am

AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. WHAT DID YOU DO TO CORRECT YOURS.

Philrob
Riding on 13's

Postby Philrob » September 3rd, 2016, 9:37 am

Was having the same problem with my 2006 Mazda 6 seem that it was a combination of solenoids, worn gears and an electrical short. Don't have the receipt on me to itemize all of the issues however I got it properly sorted out at Chaguanas Auto for 24K. After two months decided to convert to 2.3 AWD engine and tranny. The 2.0 engine and reconditioned tranny are now up for sale...

Advertisement

Return to “MAZDA”