Forums

2009 Swift Sport Fuel

Everything Suzuki - Swift GTi and Ignis Sport to Grand Vitara and XL7

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

datzkidz
Riding on 13's

2009 Swift Sport Fuel

Postby datzkidz » September 25th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Fellow tuners... i in the running to purchase a 2009 Swift sport local used, but i heard that they use premium. I see the suzuki fella on here post from waaaayyyy 2008 say the should use premium too.

Anybody does bend the rules with this?

i know this is a common topic, but i read all i can read where people say you don't really have to? Just wanna here from actual owners.

Is mixing recommended? or straight premium? straight super? possible modifications?

I starting to second guess my purchase. Help!!! lol

to make thing worse...i call lefestyle this morning ..they say swift sport current gen and previous gen ....super...so now i more confuse

sharadu2
Street 2NR

Re: 2009 Swift Sport Fuel

Postby sharadu2 » September 25th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Meh bro have 1.premium fuh it. As stated by lifestyle. Once you drive it normal (ps.not like a 6fwd gti) your consumption wouldn't be that bad.try not to rev over 2500 rpm.

timos976
Sweet on this forum

Postby timos976 » September 25th, 2013, 11:39 pm

premium all the way :) :l :(

chris1388
Riding on 18's

Postby chris1388 » September 26th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Evidently who ever you spoke to at lifestyle does not know what they were speaking about, this is usually the case with them so I am not surprised.

The current model swift sport and the model like what you are interested in purchasing local used BOTH require premium fuel, any one else that tells you otherwise also does not know what they speak of. The compression ratio on these engines is relatively high, in fact Suzuki recommends using 98 octane fuel in the car for best performance/efficiency, so in fact by giving the car premium which is 95 octane you are already asking leniency from the engine. The factory ECU in the car will pull ignition timing and compensate for premium quite well but 92 octane super is a no no. Bottom line, using super, super premium mix, super with octane booster etc just wont cut it and you risk damaging the engine with prolonged used together with poor overall engine performance/efficiency.

I am going to be quite blunt here, if paying for premium fuel is a concern then I don't recommend you buy any "sport model" or performance oriented vehicle because at the end of they day they all require for the bare minimum premium fuel. You may want to explore other vehicles that can run quite happily on super.

Hope this helps in your decision, good luck!

Chris.

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

Postby whizpig » September 27th, 2013, 8:39 am

I think Chris did a good job of impressing the fact that the car wants at least premium to run properly, one thing i would like to point out is that the numbers Chris quoted are RON.

now for what I have heard others doing to address this issue without buying premium, none of which i recommend, but in the interest of sharing information.

MIXING: i have heard of mixing, not super and premium but super and toluene, toluene is supposed to be of a higher octane than premium and the mix supposed to result in at least the 95 RON of our premium. commercially available octane boosts, somewhere on this forum there is a thread that features an investigation in to the effects of octane boosts and which ones work the best (this probably lead to the toluene mixing)but most of them don't work as advertised. I have also heard of using race gas as an octane boost, but that may not be an economical solution, i hear race gas is not cheap.

WATER/METH INJECTION: I suppose technically this is also mixing but i think it deserves separate mention cause unlike the previous examples it doesn't involve pouring the ingredients into the gas tank and hope everything mixes. water/meth supposed to have a long list of benefits, not the least of which is increasing octane, but i can't remember if it was part of the aforementioned investigation and hence how much of a boost in octane it provides.

because economics is your main concern you might want to consider the cost of a tank of super (or how much ever super you gonna buy) plus the cost of octane boost/ toluene/ a water/methkit+installation+meth. and don't forget that you will have to buy these things for every tank of gas and the price of these boosts can change (increase) faster than that of gasoline.

RETARD TIMING: yes this will work, but to adjust the timing you will need a management system, and tuning of said management, and best believe your car will significantly loose performance if timing is retarded to use super and avoid detonation.

F*CK IT I PUTTING SUPER JUS SO: ping . . ping ping ping ping . ... ping . . . . .. aka detonation and engine damage

At this point i want to remind you that all gas stations are not the same, and some (many) already mix the premium with super to increase their profits, and even with what you think is premium in the tank pinging can still occur in a swift sport. And as i have learned from my adventures with my swift sport, which should be asked before any modifications are done, "what makes you think you are smarter and know what is better for you swift sport than a room full of Suzuki engineers?"

OP, happy motoring and i hope you further research (cause this suff kinda applies to all cars) and ultimately make a decision that is right for you

datzkidz
Riding on 13's

Postby datzkidz » September 28th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Thanks a lot fellas. Some good considerations there. To be honest is really between the swift and the 08 Impreza hatchback. Other option is a frontier, but I not seein any good reasonably priced 4wd versions (until I made d decision to buy the swift ofc -_-).

The swift is just the car I set my mind on....and tho that premium shake meh a bit. I think I'd go with it. For me the commute from home to work AND back is less than 20km. So once I keep my @$$ relatively quiet I'd be good.

All this coming from the fact that iz a cheapskate, cuz if the car was super wudda hav no second guessing.

Wrd. Peace.

timos976
Sweet on this forum

Postby timos976 » December 17th, 2013, 8:10 am

u bought the swift or........

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » December 17th, 2013, 8:23 am

Lol....between the swift sport and the impreza u say....very different vehicles there my friend. One is a thriller, the other is just a safe vehicle

timos976
Sweet on this forum

Postby timos976 » December 17th, 2013, 9:26 am

exactly.....

datzkidz
Riding on 13's

Postby datzkidz » December 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Yeh. I bought the swift. It's sweet....the option of the impreza was for practicality, bigger interior space, bigger trunk.

timos976
Sweet on this forum

Postby timos976 » April 21st, 2014, 7:27 am

Join the club on fb ....

timos976
Sweet on this forum

Postby timos976 » April 21st, 2014, 1:01 pm

ingalook
Riding on 16's

Postby ingalook » April 22nd, 2014, 1:17 am

1.8L 173hp to the wheels RUNNIN SUPA

oh yeah is ah Honda...

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 22nd, 2014, 2:08 am

I used to mix fuel for use in my ek4 super/premium... what I have learnt is that I generally get better fuel from NP service stations. The ratio kinda depended on how I felt like driving but it was usually $80 premium and $20 super
. Any decent octane booster costs around $90 dollars so you might as well put the equivalent in premium one time

Toulene in constant contact with plastic and rubber. ... Are you serious

On another note. ...I like how people like to post horsepower numbers for Honda engines but they seem to forget the torque. ..its pitiful btw
Horsepower is directly proportional to torque and RPM... All Honda did was allowed there engine to be revved harder.

To mask the shortcoming that Hondas of that particular era have they are geared shorter (numerically larger gear ratios)....

Back to the point. ... the compression ratios are a bit high on dohc vtec engines and you actually feel and hear the difference premium makes over super fuel. ... (C/R might be higher in the sss though)

One last thing. .. Please stay away from octane boosters with mmt :smile:
Last edited by kamakazi on April 23rd, 2014, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » April 23rd, 2014, 1:32 am

Given that VVTi technology has come a long way, the 1.6L engine in the SSS is quite, quite efficient. Compare that to the fact that most European vehicles also require premium and are by comparison, gas guzzlers.

My ssgti uses premium only as the CR is practically 12:1 and it can rev to 8600rpm every gear....but still I find it not bad on fuel consumption even when my foot gets heavy. Upside to a 1.3L engine and fantastic gearing I guess....

SuzukiMan365
Street 2NR

Postby SuzukiMan365 » April 23rd, 2014, 12:24 pm

Hey Guys!! Greetings from Antigua again. I totally agree with the choice of premium (95) fuel. Its the only thing they sell here anyway. As for octane boosters, I've used STP octane booster on occasion and found only a slight improvement in the midrange. Not really worth the money i think. Any thoughts on octane boosters in T&T?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 25th, 2014, 3:35 am

I Agree that it isn't really worth the money. .. but it is sometimes useful in a pinch... If you have a whole tank of bad fuel, the booster can hold you out until you can put a proper amount of premium in :smile:

metalhead
Street 2NR

Postby metalhead » May 4th, 2014, 11:12 am

the standard plugs would have to be changed to lower temperature plugs if you choose to switch to Super. If you're using Iridium plugs (NGK Iridium Spark Plugs IFR5J11), you're good to go.

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » May 4th, 2014, 4:23 pm

metalhead wrote:the standard plugs would have to be changed to lower temperature plugs if you choose to switch to Super. If you're using Iridium plugs (NGK Iridium Spark Plugs IFR5J11), you're good to go.

Bullshat. You have been warned.

metalhead
Street 2NR

Postby metalhead » May 4th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Big Z wrote:
metalhead wrote:the standard plugs would have to be changed to lower temperature plugs if you choose to switch to Super. If you're using Iridium plugs (NGK Iridium Spark Plugs IFR5J11), you're good to go.

Bullshat. You have been warned.

my bad. it was the SGV. read info wrongly

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » May 4th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Sweet. Only sustainable way to use super in an SSS is via management.

royalians
Ricer

Postby royalians » May 4th, 2014, 7:08 pm

This is all good info guys but there is no shortcut as previously mentioned, you own a performance vehicle that runs a very high compression you abide by the minimum octane requirement or better.... Never lower! I have actually gone to Piarco and run on AV and the difference is very noticeable running 100+ octane...... One drawback.... About double the cost per liter! Do the right thing or pay the cost down the road!

timos976
Sweet on this forum

Postby timos976 » May 11th, 2014, 6:34 am

Change head and block to 1.5cc .... Turbo charge and them panties be dropping ... Lol

Advertisement

Return to “SUZUKI”