Forums

suzuki swift brakes

Everything Suzuki - Swift GTi and Ignis Sport to Grand Vitara and XL7

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Jo-Anne
Ricer

suzuki swift brakes

Postby Jo-Anne » February 5th, 2016, 11:40 pm

My 2010 suzuki swift brakes squeaks when pressed. This has been an ongoing problem for years. It first started I believe when my brakes were changed for the first time after a service at lifestyle motors. At every service after that I complain that the brakes continue to squeak when pressed. Each time they say they check it and after leaving lifestyle for a couple of days it starts back. Now they are telling me they want to change the brakes drum and back bearings for $5000. Does this sound like something that would fix this issue? someone told me if it was the bearing the brakes would squeak at all times even when not pressed. I just want to know if Lifestyle is making me spend unecessary money because they dont know what else to do. Any ideas on what could be the issue?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: suzuki swift brakes

Postby *KRONIK* » February 6th, 2016, 6:33 am

My 2010 swift used to do the same thing
Its caused by a build up of dust in the caliper.
Another reason is improper tightening of the caliper.

I took it to the firm and they just cleaned it with a can of "prestone brake and parts cleaner", problem went away.
So whenever the problem arises, i just jack up the car, remove the wheel and clean it myself. This usually lasts for around 8000km.

At 100,000km i had replaced my rotors and installed new pads (all OEM parts). Problem never came back.

From my observation, suzuki OEM brake pads use a very agressive pad compound and this causes the rotors to wear quickly, so replacing it ot resurfacing will help the problem.

My suggestion; replace the rotors and install new pads.
Have the calipers cleaned and regreased (lightly). And that should alleviate the brake noise.

On another note: i noticed that Lifestyle Motors has the WORST mechanics for troubleshooting.

My car was making knocking sound while under warranty, they kept saying they couldnt find the problem.
As soon as the warranty was up, they magically found that it was the steering rack and the entire thing needed to be replaced at the cost of 14k.
I took the car to my mechanic who did a suspension check.
He found it was the rubbers on the anti-sway bar were worn.
I bought the 2 rubbers at lifestyle for around 180 and mechanic replaced it and the problem never came back.

So be careful with diagnosis at the company, they usually just look for the most expensive solution to a minor problem.

They are so poor a diagnosis that at 45000kms, the hand brake light was coming on when i took a corner, they had charged me around 300 to run a engine diagnosis to tell me my brake pads were low.

So just get a second opinion before you take the car back.

What i usually do is have my mechanic take a look, and then take the car to the firm for the repair. This has worked out good for me so far.

Hope this helps

Jo-Anne
Ricer

Re: suzuki swift brakes

Postby Jo-Anne » February 9th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Thanks so much for all the info. Will check it out.

Advertisement

Return to “SUZUKI”