Forums

Wrong oil filter

Everything Suzuki - Swift GTi and Ignis Sport to Grand Vitara and XL7

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

cryotec
3NE 2NR for life

Wrong oil filter

Postby cryotec » August 21st, 2017, 1:03 am

I went for a oil change by some random shop and the mechanic installed the wrong oil filter for my swift. He convinced me that it was correct and he installed it for other swifts before with no problems but I was too stupid and just let the man continue. The threading was wrong when I checked it out on fram website (20mmx1.5mm vs 3/4-16).

So far the car drove for about 50km and no oil leaks from the daily checks that I made. However, the more I reading online about oil blowouts, the more bummy I getting so I thinking to change the filter to an OEM one.

1.) Is there anything else I should be worried about aside from a potential blowout?
2.) How the ass he fit that filter in with the wrong threading?
3.) If oil filter do blowout while I am driving, is there anything I could do to prevent my engine from getting totaled?

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Wrong oil filter

Postby coltspeed » August 21st, 2017, 5:02 am

Change it for your piece of mind.
If he cross thread it while installing u are screwed.
Changing it to the original part will ensure u do not get a blow out.

vct17inch
Street 2NR

Postby vct17inch » August 21st, 2017, 7:23 am

1. It could begin to leak without you knowing while driving and by the time u see the oil light it'd have already done some damage.

2. Some thread pitches are so close that they begin to thread to a point. Then the become firm as the begin to cross thread. Hopefully it'll be the filter that's crossthreaded rather than the engine. If the engine is crossthreaded though, all hope isn't lost. There are aftermarket filter adapters which thread into the original threading so that u never have to unscrew it again.

3. If it does blow out. Switch off the engine immediately and ensure u don't try to start it or turn the engine in anyway. Every turn of the engine would be unlubricated and hence do some damage

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 21st, 2017, 8:44 am

The engine oil filter screw mount is typically given a higher hardness and will cut the threads of the throat of the filter.

20x1.5mm is within thousands of an inch of 3/4 - 16 (19.05x1.59mm) but the thread profile between metric and SAE is not always the same.

The gasket is what prevents the oil from leaking out. It is unlikely that there is insufficient torque on filter that would result in a poor seal.

The issue is that any cross-threading creates metal shavings. What you don't want is to have ANY shavings get into the engine. Swap out the filter with the proper size.

Buy a few extra oil filters of the proper size and leave them on a shelf for your next oil change and follow the schedule and use the oil viscosity (weight) listed in the owner's manual. It will be cheaper than getting another "expert" mechanic to work on your engine.

cryotec
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cryotec » August 21st, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I went and got the filter replaced. Filter cost 110 incase anyone wants to know.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 21st, 2017, 12:37 pm

cryotec wrote:Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I went and got the filter replaced. Filter cost 110 incase anyone wants to know.

Oem?

cryotec
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cryotec » August 21st, 2017, 1:06 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
cryotec wrote:Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I went and got the filter replaced. Filter cost 110 incase anyone wants to know.

Oem?

Yep.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 21st, 2017, 1:08 pm

Nice

In my experience
The swifts work best with the oem filter
The engine runs the quietest with that.

cryotec
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cryotec » August 21st, 2017, 2:25 pm

quiet is not a word i go associated with my car yes. atleast not when the ac on, it does making this clicking/knocking noise every few secs.

Advertisement

Return to “SUZUKI”