TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Skoda Octavia is it a good buy?

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EuroMaan
Riding on 13's

Skoda Octavia is it a good buy?

Postby EuroMaan » December 8th, 2007, 4:38 am

Hey ppl. after years of dreaming i have decided to make the euro decision. Albeit its on the shallow end .. I am looking at the Skoda Octavia 1.6 mpi.
Any advice on maintenance cost/parts/service ,reliability, resale value?

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » December 8th, 2007, 6:31 am

New or second hand?

If new you should not any problems once you maintain the car by the firm

Second hand check the maintenance booklet and you should see the car's history of service.

BRT
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BRT » December 8th, 2007, 12:54 pm

yes these cars are great, good vaule for your money, parts is not a problem, serivce is good, very reliable, and these is a resale value to these cars, i sell these cars, so if u have any questions or querries, u can give me a call, 769-9858 (Brett)

EuroMaan
Riding on 13's

Postby EuroMaan » December 11th, 2007, 9:27 am

I was looking at getting a new one. From reading other forums I realize it is pretty expensive to maintain a euro. I would like to leave the jap market but the new corolla is not a bad look and i don't think any thing on our roads beats it in reliability.

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » December 11th, 2007, 5:06 pm

u better change yuh name to RollaMaan yes

BRT
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BRT » December 11th, 2007, 5:49 pm

Euroman, there is some truth to the saying euro are more expensive to matain that a jap, car cars in this bracket- Benz, BMW, AUDI, JAGUAR, etc. however the lower end euro cars such, as the skoda, opel, seat, are not that expenisve, ppl say jap cars are cheaper to matain, cause u can get subsitiue parts, or immitation parts, in the bamboo, and other places etc, but if u goin to buy genuine jap parts from the dealers, u will see there is not that much difference in cost, and now there are places, that sell euro parts aout side of the dealerships, so u can always say euro is more expensive, if u want a good car, that will last and take the roads of trinidad, go with a euro car, even if part "are expenisve" when u buy euro parts they last longer that jap parts to, so in the long run u saving money, Skoda specifically was desinged to be reason, economical cars, that is why they can compete with the jap market, eg, a new skoda is $155k VAT INC. the new corolla is way more that nah, plus, after u drive a euro car u will not want to go back jap, they are much safer cars. BTW i see the new corolloa close up, and is still is made with cheap materials, come check out the OCTAVIA, before u make any decissions, dont let other ppl influence your choice, see for yourself. Again, i am a sales rep for Skoda, so if u are interested give me a call, and will be willing to give u all the info u need. my Contact is 769-985 (Brett).

TriniVdub
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TriniVdub » December 11th, 2007, 8:10 pm

BRT wrote: c Again, i am a sales rep for Skoda, so if u are interested give me a call, and will be willing to give u all the info u need. my Contact is 769-985 (Brett).

So BRT now we know why yuh biggin up Skoda so :P

BRT
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BRT » December 11th, 2007, 8:47 pm

hey nothing wrong with that, but even before i started working there, and i only started working there a few months now. i knew the skodas was good cars, its VW/AUDI parts, so it good germany engineering, at a cheaper price.

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » December 12th, 2007, 5:55 am

BRT wrote:hey nothing wrong with that, but even before i started working there, and i only started working there a few months now. i knew the skodas was good cars, its VW/AUDI parts, so it good germany engineering, at a cheaper price.

The new Skoda caught my eyes when they had it on display in Gulf City. Very roomy in the inside, the trunk lid is heavy (not light like an almera).

I might go after one after wedding bells.

plex
punchin NOS

Postby plex » December 12th, 2007, 6:35 am

Skoda is subsidiary of VW..

TriniVdub
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TriniVdub » December 12th, 2007, 12:06 pm

well i think everyone knows that, hence the reason why they share parts cause the octavia for example is the same chassis as the jetta etc etc, its pretty much the exact same car.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » December 15th, 2007, 5:41 pm

BRT wrote:...eg, a new skoda is $155k VAT INC. ...

Which one, the Fabia or Octavia?

What type of engine?

What are you getting in terms of features?

What is the warranty?

I am not in the country right now or else I would have just called.

EuroMaan
Riding on 13's

Postby EuroMaan » December 19th, 2007, 12:18 am

Yuh really trying to get the end of year commission sales Bret. Seriously though thanks for the info will def be giving you a call. I did my fare share of research on the Octavia and I must say brand quality is high.

What kind of warranty you get on them though Bret?

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » December 21st, 2007, 7:51 am

skoda parts same price as vw prices in tnt.

cgordon69
Ricer

Postby cgordon69 » January 5th, 2008, 1:17 pm

FACT...Euro cars ARE more reliable and better built than Japanese cars.
FICTION...Euro cars ARE more expensive to maintain that Japanese cars. Why?, cause I compared genuine parts for a BMW 3 Series to a Honda Accord, alot of the Accord prices for a similar part was actually way higher than the BMW.
FACT...Euro cars are better engineered
FACT..Audi parts are very expensive ONLY in Trinidad. My friend purchases ALL his A4 parts in the US and the parts are very reasonably priced.
FACT...Our climate has alot to do with car maintenance.

With respect to the Skoda...BUY DE DAMN CAR BRETHREN!! That is a boss car, reasonably priced and you're getting quality german engineering. I guarantee you won't be in the bamboo every 3 months wanting a part.

5onDfloor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 5onDfloor » January 5th, 2008, 8:07 pm

When it comes to EURO CARS you cant go wrong especially when it comes to SAFETY!!

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » March 24th, 2008, 1:23 am

cgordon69 wrote:FACT...Euro cars ARE more reliable and better built than Japanese cars.
FICTION...Euro cars ARE more expensive to maintain that Japanese cars. Why?, cause I compared genuine parts for a BMW 3 Series to a Honda Accord, alot of the Accord prices for a similar part was actually way higher than the BMW.
FACT..Audi parts are very expensive ONLY in Trinidad. My friend purchases ALL his A4 parts in the US and the parts are very reasonably priced.

With respect to the Skoda...BUY DE DAMN CAR BRETHREN!! That is a boss car, reasonably priced and you're getting quality german engineering. I guarantee you won't be in the bamboo every 3 months wanting a part.

Not sure how you got to these conclusions....but both Consumer Reports and J D Powers rank Japanese manufacturers over European

See: http://www.reliableplant.com/article.as ... cleid=5038

The 2007 VDS study shows only 1 European (BMW) in the top 10. Note where Volkswagen/Audi sit

See: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/j-d-powe ... dy/346679/

BRT
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BRT » March 25th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Hi everyone, sorry i havent been on in a while to answer your questions, first off the warrenty, is 2yrs. Second, the features the ocativa come with to name a few are, Parking sensors front and back (audio and visual) 6 speed tiptronic transmission, Mp3 Cd player, there is also a port to plug in your I-pod and stuff like that, 16"rims, disc brakes front and back, Driver and front passanger Air bags, Side impact beams in the doors, ASR(Anti Skid Reduction) ABS, Gas projection head lights, Fog lights, that is all i could remember at this time, and yes all this for only $155K VAT INC. (sun roof is and Additional $4K) In terms of safety, the car has a 5 Star crash rating, and for those of you who think a japanese car is safer, i would take make chances in an Octavia if i had to be in a collision, rather than an almera, civic, lancer, etc. And by the way, yes it is VW parts, but the "skoda" parts are cheaper to buy at Sterling compared to buying the VW parts at Neal & Massy. Smart people who own VW's come by us to Buy parts.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » March 30th, 2008, 12:33 am

True true. euros seem safer. the only car i swere by from japan, that is just unbreakable is the corolla

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » March 30th, 2008, 12:54 pm

ek4ever wrote:
cgordon69 wrote:FACT...Euro cars ARE more reliable and better built than Japanese cars.

Not sure how you got to these conclusions....but both Consumer Reports and J D Powers rank Japanese manufacturers over European

See: http://www.reliableplant.com/article.as ... cleid=5038

The 2007 VDS study shows only 1 European (BMW) in the top 10. Note where Volkswagen/Audi sit

See:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/j-d-powe ... dy/346679/

AMERICAN PROPAGANDA!!!

cgordon69
Ricer

Postby cgordon69 » March 31st, 2008, 12:35 pm

Consumer Reports and JD Power and Associates are stronglyh biased to American consumers and products. Don't believe the JD Power and Associates hype; it's not entirely accurate. The only Japanese cars that can compare to German in quality and engineering is the high end Japs, like Lexus, Infiniti and even Acura. However, these companies have also been accused of still utilizing cheap plastics. The new Corolla is quite expensive but I saw the interior and was quite disappointed and the quality of the materials. The Skoda still looks way better and is cheaper.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » March 31st, 2008, 11:00 pm

maybe this is a good time to ask this. Many people cite bias on the part of J D Powers and Consumer Reports...are there any other companies that put out independent reports similar in content to these 2? Like the IQS and VDS

I'm interested in any others myself

BBFL
Riding on 13's

Postby BBFL » March 29th, 2009, 7:56 am

so i see this topic died a long time ago but i hv a question about d octavia.........
can it use super or only premium?

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » March 29th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Japanese cars are noted for their reliability but have no soul and are bland. They brought mobilty en mass to the developing world like the new Tata Nano is going to do to the Indian population.
Skoda, which was the pun of many a european joke, is now owned by VAG and you benefit from the same quality as experienced by the owner of a Jetta or Passat.
We have to be careful not to use American surveys to compare these vehicles as Skoda is not an American brand.
My top Skoda Octavia is the 2.0 TSI VRS.

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » March 29th, 2009, 4:33 pm

BBFL wrote:so i see this topic died a long time ago but i hv a question about d octavia.........
can it use super or only premium?

Calibrated to run on 95ron fuel minimum.

Gatestrading
Riding on 13's

Re: Skoda Octavia is it a good buy?

Postby Gatestrading » January 16th, 2011, 7:23 pm

im looking at a 1998 model A4 (B5) which is the previous shape to this one for $55,000.00, its the 1.6 model body is in great condition but the interior needs some work. its running 250,000kms. it is apparently well maintained, however when i drove it, accelerated a bit and released the pedal i felt a slight jerk at lower speeds, the man said that it is common with german cars because of the sensors in the pedal......? anyone know of this? my mind is telling me its not worth more than $30k as it is. advise please!

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » January 17th, 2011, 11:51 am

Gatestrading wrote:im looking at a 1998 model A4 (B5) which is the previous shape to this one for $55,000.00, its the 1.6 model body is in great condition but the interior needs some work. its running 250,000kms. it is apparently well maintained, however when i drove it, accelerated a bit and released the pedal i felt a slight jerk at lower speeds, the man said that it is common with german cars because of the sensors in the pedal......? anyone know of this? my mind is telling me its not worth more than $30k as it is. advise please!

Meh bai...yuh said it right there..that car is worth no more than 30k...maybe 25....250k mileage...trus meh

damieG82
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby damieG82 » January 19th, 2011, 4:31 pm

that price is insane... I've seen 1.8T versions in decent all round condition sell for that much. In good condition, I'd say the 1.6 is a 40K car, so given the work it needs, 30K is reasonable.

living louder
Street 2NR

Postby living louder » April 3rd, 2011, 7:45 am

agreed^^^^^^^

rdeonarine
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rdeonarine » April 11th, 2011, 8:19 am

I have an octavia for sale if anyone is interested.......
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=365973

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”