TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Can the Beemer take super?

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

MG Man
2NRholic

Re: Can the Beemer take super?

Postby MG Man » December 28th, 2012, 9:04 am

lots of people clueless to the sound of detonation / pinging / pinking, and can't even detect a drop in performance, so they don't see a difference using super.....I happy for them......having driven my MINI back to back with another that runs on super, the difference was amazing..........the other guy's car has a sprintbooster, MSD coil, fancy wires etc, and the car still felt slow compared to mine, and mine already slow

mango_chow
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mango_chow » January 21st, 2013, 6:54 pm

devrat wrote:Can the Beemer take super?

No!!!!!........I normally pump my own gas but this time I was distracted :oops: and let the attendant
pump my gas.....only to realize he put super.......caused an engine malfunction warning and the car went into reduced power mode....apparently it "retimed" it self.....will get that sorted out tomorrow.
2011 523i :?

Does your manual state that your minimum RON is 91 for your 5 series? I know someone who fills super normal normal in their 3 series with no problem. Of course the performance will not be the same as with premium but a little loss of power is all so far and they have been doing this for a while now.

Trinilex
Riding on 13's

Postby Trinilex » February 23rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

I have a 2008 E90 3 Series and use super every other fill. I allow my gas to go to half tank then fill. When using super there is aN obvious loss in power. I have also noticed slight increase in engine noise, but no sensor or error indications. I also use the octane booster every 4 refills. There seems to be better performance while using the octane boost.
The manual does say RON 91,95,98.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » February 25th, 2013, 2:59 pm

if you seem to get better performance from the octane boost, why not use it with every fill up?

greasyspoon
Street 2NR

Postby greasyspoon » May 2nd, 2013, 7:33 am

Ched ressurect...
Ran Super gas in an e90. N46B20 engine.
I did notice some power loss but no engine codes thrown well at least none that I know of.

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » May 2nd, 2013, 8:29 pm

Brave fellow....is the decrease in gas mileage worth the savings at the pump?

CAUTION: If you feel no loss in power using super, refrain from this before further premature damage is done to the engine

May want too consider this before its too late....

Taken from http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/12615839-BMW-explains-using-lower-Octane-gasoline

BMW explains using lower Octane gasoline

Straight from the BMW spokesperson, we get the final verdict regarding using 89 or 87 octane gas in our 91 preferred cars.

Running On Regular: Do Premium Vehicles Really Need Premium Gasoline?

From Stan Baldwin online

Long before gasoline rocketed through $4 a gallon many people were dismayed to see a significant percentage of their income disappearing into the tank of their car. Today, a wobbly economic outlook, increases in the cost of most other forms of energy, as well as the cost of life’s staples, have prompted folks to look for every possible way to cut back on spending. “Can I save money by running my car on Regular?” “Will it hurt the engine?” my friends ask. More than one person driving a car the manufacturer has spec’d for Premium has told me “I use Regular and my car runs fine.” Are there consequences of “down grading” your fuel? It is definitely a timely question, so we sent e-mail inquiries off to a half dozen manufacturers asking about their technology and their policy on the matter.

While waiting for their reply let’s review some internal combustion engine characteristics. Fuel does not truly explode in a cylinder, at least it isn’t supposed to. It burns smoothly, albeit very rapidly, across the cylinder. The octane rating is a measure of the propensity a given fuel has to burning, rather than exploding. Gasoline “exploding” in the cylinder is frequently called “detonation” or more colloquially, “knocking” or “pinging”. These explosions, because they happen as the piston is rising during the compression stroke and try to shove the piston back down the bore, can do damage over time. In the case of severely stressed motors, such as in race cars, a few seconds of serious detonation can destroy the engine. Two of the mechanical considerations affecting how smoothly a fuel burns are compression and cylinder head configuration. Two variable considerations of great importance are the temperature in the cylinder and the ignition timing. Every manufacturer designs and builds their engines to operate most efficiently for the application intended with a gasoline of a particular octane rating.

Not all that long ago, before the advent of engine management systems, the result of tanking up a high compression vehicle with standard grade fuel was immediately obvious. Providing the stereo wasn’t cranked up past 100 decibels, the pinging or knocking from the engine compartment let you know something was not right. Driving up a hill, towing a load or simply accelerating quickly produced an unnerving rattle from under the hood. It sounded very much like your carbureted V-8 had morphed into a diesel. Until the age of microprocessors enabled the creation of engine management systems, the consequence of a steady diet of low octane fuel could be fatal for a high performance engine.

General Motors, Honda, Toyota and BMW responded to our inquiry. Honda’s public relations representative declined to comment on the issue. Toyota noted that essentially all their current models are designed to run on 87 octane. I asked about using 85 octane, available in some markets, and Bill Kwong of Toyota corporate PR told me they would run fine, with maybe only a slight 2-3 percent decline in horsepower and fuel mileage. But 85 octane is usually only offered in markets at altitude (i.e. Denver, Colorado) where the reduced oxygen doesn’t allow an engine to reach full designed power in any event. If you drive a modern Toyota, the octane rating of your fuel isn’t much of an issue. But what about a brand aimed squarely at the performance market? What about BMW?

Thomas Plucinsky, BMW Product and Technology Communications Manager told us all BMW engines are designed to run on 91 octane. All performance testing, including EPA emissions and fuel mileage, is done with 91 octane. However, though BMW is all about performance, their motors will run on 89 or 87 octane without damage. The knock sensors pull the ignition timing back and eliminate detonation. There will be a loss of power and a decrease in fuel mileage, but the size of the horsepower loss and the increase in fuel consumption depends upon many factors, such as ambient temperature, exact formulation of the fuel and driving technique, so BMW does not offer any estimates for operation on lower grade fuels. One not so obvious concern, Mr. Plucinsky noted, is the type and quality of additives the gasoline companies include in the fuel. Premium gasolines may have better additive packages which are more effective keeping fuel systems (particularly injectors) clean and working efficiently, than those in regular grade fuels or off-brand products. Using lower octane or off-brand fuel could be degrading the fuel system over time, setting you up for a repair bill down the line.

Dave Muscaro, Director of Engine Development/Calibration for GM power trains explained GM has “three flavors” of fuel specification for their offerings: Regular (87 octane) Recommended, Premium (91) Recommended, and Premium Required. Again, we are more concerned with the last two categories where regular could be substituted for the specified Premium. All the engines have a knock sensing ability that retards the spark when detonation occurs. For the premium recommended vehicles the spark advance will be pulled back enough to eliminate the detected knocking. The typical driver will not notice a performance decrease, except under load, and mileage will decline slightly. The engines intended for performance, such as the LS7 or the supercharged small block V-8, are Premium Required powertrains. The customers clearly were not primarily concerned with economy when they chose a performance vehicle and GM optimizes the engine management system to deliver the highest possible power output at all times. To this end the detonation control system does not retard the spark to the point required to prevent all knocking. It would seem a determined deranged drag racer could run Regular in his Corvette and, over time, he might manage to melt a piston or two.

If burning 87 octane in your car, when 91 octane is specified, will not harm the engine, and the performance degradation is not noticeable in typical driving, how much money can you save? The Energy Information Administration, U.S. Government Department of Energy, offers some figures for US gasoline retail prices (these are averages, all areas, all formulations). A year ago Regular was going for $2.982 a gallon and Premium was commanding $3.196 a gallon. The 21.4 cent difference delivered a 6.7 percent saving over Premium. This June 23, 2008, Regular extracted $4.079 from your wallet while Premium sucked up $4.312 for every gallon. The differential (23.3 cents) has grown slightly since 2007 but buying Regular is now only 5.4 percent cheaper than Premium. Since 5 percent is roughly the typical percentage of mileage decrease to be expected with the 87 octane fuel in a 91 octane engine, is there any savings at all?

Bottom Line: Most modern engines are fuel injected and controlled by sophisticated engine management systems which can rapidly and accurately compensate for lower octane fuel by retarding the ignition. Running these cars on 87 octane will not hurt them. However, the immediate savings at the pump may be wiped out by the subsequent drop in fuel mileage and performance, not to mention the possibility of damage over time.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » May 2nd, 2013, 8:54 pm

Also is that 91 what we call 91?

And I wouldn't even risk it. Mine says 95min, 98 recommended I believe. Allyuh BMW manuals say 91?

Trinilex
Riding on 13's

Postby Trinilex » May 2nd, 2013, 9:02 pm

It was a good read, thanks. Based on the disparity of 90% in cost between the two fuels, I think its safe to say that using Super is cost effective even as the loss in power and decrease mpg is factored into the equation. The concern of poor additives can be reduced by the use of injector cleaners. I will continue my 'experiment' and monitor my engine performance. *BMW says 91 RON minimum

Trinilex

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » May 3rd, 2013, 7:58 am

I know BMW clearly states to avoid any type of fuel additives which may contain lead or other harmful chemicals in it which may also further erode the fuel system over time, ie. internal tank filter,internal fuel pump components etc.

Now don't get me wrong eh, I am not bashing your decision but merely illustrating another perspective....If lets say you throw dirt into the fuel tank,then add a chemical which will thin out the fuel together with the dirt,fact is the overall fuel quality is still dirty with the breakdown product from the chemical in addition to the poor fuel additives...same can be said if you continue using fuel additives each fill up...but I guess your experience may be a lesson learnt for other owners...just hope not to a possibly expensive repair bill.

@ nemesis...the US 91 is MON which is actually our 95 RON

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » May 3rd, 2013, 6:44 pm

Yeah, our gas caps out at US 91.
We get the same grades as California I believe though.

And although you're right about additives, that analogy doesn't really hold for things like octane boosters.

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » May 4th, 2013, 7:46 am

It may have some merit with regard to those cheaper $20 - $40 octane booster being sold in local stations however...ever read the contents on the label behind?

Either way if were my BMW, I certainly won't chance it,cuz in my head if it isn't "EURO" made, it isn't for a EURO car..

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » May 4th, 2013, 3:38 pm

nemesis wrote:Yeah, our gas caps out at US 91.
We get the same grades as California I believe though.

And although you're right about additives, that analogy doesn't really hold for things like octane boosters.

But these cars coming from europe.. how would the rating hold in that case?

mango_chow
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mango_chow » August 1st, 2013, 11:01 am

After much consideration, I took the leap and tried it in my 2009 3 series. It's been about 6 months now and my car runs as normal. At first, I did feel a slight difference or could have been mind over matter. But after some time passed, it ran as normal. No errors, nothing. Please keep in mind this is my personal experience!

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 1st, 2013, 12:44 pm

What did your manual say?

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » June 27th, 2015, 9:53 pm

The GM at the dealership said to me, if I wanted my 2011 e90 to rum like a BMW I should use premium.

To each his own. Lower maintenance cost, better performance and helping out the environment works for me.

It's just a pity that premium cost more than twice as much as super. We have our gov't to thank for that.

danOntheRun
Ricer

Postby danOntheRun » July 7th, 2015, 2:32 pm

I have a bmw 318i E46 , 2004, N2 engine. I use super - my car is non turbo. I should be good, rite?

Trinilex
Riding on 13's

Postby Trinilex » July 7th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I think your engine is an N42, You can check the gas tank lid to see the ratings of fuel you can use. The obvious effect of the lower grade fuel is performance. My opinion is that as long as there is the big difference in price of the 92 and 95 RON fuel, I will continue to mix, performance is not an issue for me most of the time. In all this traffic who can spiritedly drive anymore.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » July 7th, 2015, 10:10 pm

2011 E90 320i 168 Bhp : My owners manual says 95 RON recommended, 91 RON and higher permitted.

Trinilex I understand what your saying, during the week I rarely cross 3000 rpms

My ques is what rating is premium and super in terms of RON?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 7th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Premium is 95. Super is 92.

VLDS
Street 2NR

Postby VLDS » July 7th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Have a 2009 3 series. Put amsoil from day one. Put the cheapo gunk gas treatment every other fill up from price mart (6 in ah pack). Air filters and fuel filters every 10000. Check my fluids weekly to make sure everything good.

Now....

The last premium that car taste is showroom.
And not as much as a beep.

Btw I only fill in the newest station. People does race up their engine, doh bother with oil, coolant is aircondition for them, and then bawl is the super gas cause it.

New cars is recommended a octane level for maximum performance but they designed to run on lower octanes. People in Africa doh have access to premium but them rich ones running beemer, land Rover better than we.
Fed up of people and this argument. But... is ur car, do what u think is best.

Trinilex
Riding on 13's

Postby Trinilex » July 7th, 2015, 10:56 pm

VLDS , Fuel filter? Where is that located on the E90?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 7th, 2015, 11:10 pm

I wouldn't even bother with those gas treatments either.

VLDS
Street 2NR

Postby VLDS » July 8th, 2015, 1:46 am

Trinilex, look on the underbody of the car directly below the passenger seat. there is a silver metal shield. remove the shield and you will see a silver cylinder connected to the fuel line. thats the filter. i would suggest however using the cheap filters and installing it before the factory version. these are about 26$ at almost any parts place for a decent one. this will save you in the long run and because its cheap you can change it often.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » July 8th, 2015, 3:59 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:I wouldn't even bother with those gas treatments either.

What about Amsoil and Redline?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 8th, 2015, 6:16 am

nthing in a 12oz bottle can change the octane rating in 40 litres of fuel...think about it...they're all bs
did a dyno test back to back with one of my cars to see what difference liquimoly makes...zip...nada...nought

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 8th, 2015, 6:28 am

sweeks wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:I wouldn't even bother with those gas treatments either.

What about Amsoil and Redline?

Doesn't matter who makes it. The manufacturer of the vehicle doesn't recommend any.

Trinilex
Riding on 13's

Postby Trinilex » July 8th, 2015, 8:16 am

Thanks VLDS ,I am underneath there all the time but never noticed it.

VLDS
Street 2NR

Postby VLDS » July 8th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Trinilex wrote:Thanks VLDS ,I am underneath there all the time but never noticed it.

No prob Trinilex. Most people don't realize it's there. I feel they try to hide it. Lol. Also I know of some people the mechanic said, that have their filter on the inside of the tank. And also if u fill in places where may have bad gas, there's a filter with a water trap available in most car places that u can install inline.

Also don't just remove it, it has a high pressure.
What u need to do is open the fuse box on passenger side of the engine bay. Remove the fuel pump fuse and start. The engine will cut off in a few seconds. That would cut the pressure and u can remove the lines safely.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » July 9th, 2015, 4:03 am

Thanks for all the input guys.....

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » July 19th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Premium is 95. Super is 92.

Got confirmation on this from someone who blends the gas at Petrotrin. Super is 92-93 RON.

According to my owners manual, I should be good to go with super esp when rolling in traffic.

Trinilex I may do like you and mix the premium and super.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”