TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

So resale value just went down: How you feel?

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

So resale value just went down: How you feel?

Postby Habit7 » October 2nd, 2012, 1:16 pm

Its nearly 50% more to fuel most of our euro spec engines.

Super runs the risk of damaging our finely tune engine, so its not true alternative.

Still hope to sell your car this year and make a decent profit?

Advertisement
Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: So resale value just went down: How you feel?

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 2nd, 2012, 2:13 pm

I bought my vehicle with the intention of keeping it for at least 5 years. Resale value isn't high on my priorities.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » October 2nd, 2012, 2:29 pm

Habit7 wrote:Its nearly 50% more to fuel most of our euro spec engines.

Super runs the risk of damaging our finely tune engine, so its not true alternative.

http://www.fueltechexperts.com/2008/07/ ... e-booster/

BRB. other peoples experience not fact again.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » October 2nd, 2012, 2:33 pm

So did I but I have career that causes me to be able to migrate at a moments notice. Even with a give away price my car might stay on the market for a long time.

Hopefully super and diesel will raise next year to narrow the disparity.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 2nd, 2012, 2:43 pm

What car you have again Habit?

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 2nd, 2012, 4:48 pm

Habit7 wrote:Its nearly 50% more to fuel most of our euro spec engines.

Still hope to sell your car this year and make a decent profit?

Make a profit? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ztune
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ztune » October 3rd, 2012, 12:54 am

if super had raised, a thread such as this would not be in the mazda, toyota, nissan etc etc sections...

kg494EJ-1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kg494EJ-1 » October 3rd, 2012, 7:05 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:I bought my vehicle with the intention of keeping it for at least 5 years. Resale value isn't high on my priorities.

Same here but its been 6 years and I not looking back love meh rings so ah keeping it and hopefully next year will add another they are not discouraging me from being comfortable I am making my sacrifices and no one will stop me from reaping the rewards.

cqk4
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cqk4 » October 12th, 2012, 9:24 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:I bought my vehicle with the intention of keeping it for at least 5 years. Resale value isn't high on my priorities.

Same here.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 12th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Actually this is the first budget that devalued vehicles like mine rather than increase them. Was actually considering changing next year, but probably won't be able to sell.
The other good side is that you can probably get a newer model used for less now so it really depends on what your individual situation is. If you're looking at selling to go brand new, that'll probably be a bigger loss than pre-budget. But if you're going used to newer but used, they'll both be devalued, and the newer ones probably by more.

Krystal Car Part Imports
Sweet on this forum

Postby Krystal Car Part Imports » October 22nd, 2012, 11:04 pm

Trinis are always calling gloom and doom. The audi you see today, has equipment your japanese car is going to get as standard in the next 10 years. I used to be a hater on euro cars just liek you guys who never owner or drove one, till i unexpectedly got a bargain. im in love with my euro car now. plenty power, comfort and fantastic handling. I dont care if the resale value drops. and i dont care if it calls for parts. ill do my research and fix as necessary. My next car is definitely going to be a german car, thats for sure!

The value proposition for a japanese car has fallen. You have to understand when you compare the cost of parts for a sylphy (dog bone , and engine mounts, tensioners and wheel bearing) not that much difference in price for parts for a skoda or a vw. has nothing to do with the country of origin: has to do with the changes in the price of foreign exchange. that why japanese cars seem so much more expensive NOW than ever before.

Krystal Car Part Imports
Sweet on this forum

Postby Krystal Car Part Imports » October 22nd, 2012, 11:13 pm

Right now, id advise any of you to go buy a USED audi or a passat. ive seen some guys selling cars MINT condition. paint . A/C fully powered. everything working, low mileage for small change. 90k, 100k and 150k. all these cars are 7 years or less. Trust me. buy one. Keep to you service schedules and find a good mechanic (i can recommend one, but if u prefer to stick to your bamboo patch sr20 grease monkey, make sure they know how to read and use the internet) and you wont regret it.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » October 23rd, 2012, 8:36 am

Silly question as this may be, (and main topic of the thread [fuel cost] considered), why do European vehicles lose value so much faster than their Japanese counterparts?

Yes I know maintenance and parts are a bit more costly, but as kantoine rightly pointed out, most of them have features that are light years ahead of the japanese.

I'd pick more expensive but less frequent maintenance over cheap monthly maintenance anyday

TriniVdub
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TriniVdub » October 23rd, 2012, 12:25 pm

the prize of OEM parts for most VW and Audi vehicles are on par and sometimes cheaper than Japanese OEM parts.

Mazdout
Sweet on this forum

Postby Mazdout » October 23rd, 2012, 2:31 pm

TriniVub that's very true.

5onDfloor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 5onDfloor » October 23rd, 2012, 11:47 pm

neexis wrote:Silly question as this may be, (and main topic of the thread [fuel cost] considered), why do European vehicles lose value so much faster than their Japanese counterparts?

Yes I know maintenance and parts are a bit more costly, but as kantoine rightly pointed out, most of them have features that are light years ahead of the japanese.

I'd pick more expensive but less frequent maintenance over cheap monthly maintenance anyday

it all has to do with demand and economy

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 24th, 2012, 7:34 am

another factor in some cases is...market value and resale value are two completely different things...eg. an A4 B7 can have a resale value of 170k but market dictates 130-160k save for the overall condition or how soon would an owner want to sell IMO.

I did a small survey on overall resale values as the local insurance companies sees it and found that a Jetta after 5yrs holds at 50% showroom cost at 110k,similarly an octavia II holds at 85k at 50% after 6yrs etc.....as for pricing of fuel affecting these cars,I guess we shall see again how the impact would be on insurance values :/

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 24th, 2012, 8:06 am

TriniVdub wrote:the prize of OEM parts for most VW and Audi vehicles are on par and sometimes cheaper than Japanese OEM parts.

Especially if you have a model that's sold in the US. My car parts are cheaper than the gf's Mazda 3's parts. Actually, her brother has an A6 which is also from Southern sales and many of his parts are cheaper than the mazda's.

nes123 wrote:another factor in some cases is...market value and resale value are two completely different things...eg. an A4 B7 can have a resale value of 170k but market dictates 130-160k save for the overall condition or how soon would an owner want to sell IMO.

I did a small survey on overall resale values as the local insurance companies sees it and found that a Jetta after 5yrs holds at 50% showroom cost at 110k,similarly an octavia II holds at 85k at 50% after 6yrs etc.....as for pricing of fuel affecting these cars,I guess we shall see again how the impact would be on insurance values :/

Insurance varies too widely by many factors on the vehicle. Of course if your purchase price is lower for a used vehicle it will often have cheaper insurance. Actually, in some cases euros have a huge advantage. For example it's easier to insure a turboed or 2 door euro car than a JDM turbo or 2 door.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 24th, 2012, 8:37 am

nemesis wrote:
TriniVdub wrote:the prize of OEM parts for most VW and Audi vehicles are on par and sometimes cheaper than Japanese OEM parts.

Especially if you have a model that's sold in the US. My car parts are cheaper than the gf's Mazda 3's parts. Actually, her brother has an A6 which is also from Southern sales and many of his parts are cheaper than the mazda's.

nes123 wrote:another factor in some cases is...market value and resale value are two completely different things...eg. an A4 B7 can have a resale value of 170k but market dictates 130-160k save for the overall condition or how soon would an owner want to sell IMO.

Insurance varies too widely by many factors on the vehicle. Of course if your purchase price is lower for a used vehicle it will often have cheaper insurance. Actually, in some cases euros have a huge advantage. For example it's easier to insure a turboed or 2 door euro car than a JDM turbo or 2 door.

Point noted, but what I was illustrating was showroom prices and the resale of JDMs vs Euros after 5-6s years.... In the economy class vehicle, MY2006 + Euros generally maintain a decent 50% or above resale value..versus the JDM which resells for about the same 50% of it's initial showroom value after 5-6yrs in some cases.

In this regard, Euros are on par with their JDM equivalents for the economy cars segment and sometimes the Euros hold 55-60% value after same period in the luxury department than the JDM luxury department....hope I explained what I meant correctly.

5onDfloor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 5onDfloor » October 24th, 2012, 9:06 am

Two Euros i know for sure hold their value are Benz & BMW...Although of late am seeing a lot of E90 3 series on sale between the $140k - $160k range and these are 2006 models.

i think gone are the days when people in general sell a car to just get it sell...everyone seems to want to make a profit, for me i call a price i think would get my car sold.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » October 24th, 2012, 9:54 am

5onDfloor wrote:i think gone are the days when people in general sell a car to just get it sell...everyone seems to want to make a profit, for me i call a price i think would get my car sold.

how exactly will anyone make a profit on a used vehicle?

nes123 wrote:as for pricing of fuel affecting these cars,I guess we shall see again how the impact would be on insurance values :/

I think this fuel thing might become less of an issue with time, at least till everyone adapts. Then we'll be buying premium norms as we did when the price was $4/L

All this being said, then a well maintained (assuming the owner was regular with service and that the car was not in any accidents etc) used Euro might not be a bad deal then

Russellgold
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Russellgold » October 24th, 2012, 10:15 am

i normally mixes my fuel on a 1.8t a6
ratio of 70/30 % super/unleaded
is it safe ..?

Krystal Car Part Imports
Sweet on this forum

Postby Krystal Car Part Imports » October 24th, 2012, 10:20 am

Resale values for a lot of european marques are low for several reasons:

In the case of french cars, low because they just not very good and poorly built.
in the case of german cars , VAG cars in particular, you have to understand, that a lot of cars being sold less than 7 years old for small money are cars bought for managers. They probably going to get a newer , audi, vw or skoda, and so, they just selling them off, which is why i say, those are good cars to buy: usually driven by one person, highway mileage and serviced by southern sales (i dont know if thats a consolation)

But then again, its all abbout market forces: Understand, Trinis are like Americans when it comes to cars: we just drive them and beat them around and only fix them whenthey broken. That attitude will cause you headaches if you plan to own a german car. we accustomed to abusing japanese cars and fixing them, partly because of availability of cheap core parts (engines, transmissions etc). Our culture is 'Corolla is built by god' so the resale values stay artificially high.But really and truly, the value proposition of asian cars is not very good. And if you want a lexus or subaru, you will pay the price

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 24th, 2012, 10:20 am

consensus seems to be 1.8T engines on VW and Audis can use 100% super.

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 24th, 2012, 11:34 am

kantoine wrote:Resale values for a lot of european marques are low for several reasons:

In the case of french cars, low because they just not very good and poorly built.
in the case of german cars , VAG cars in particular, you have to understand, that a lot of cars being sold less than 7 years old for small money are cars bought for managers. They probably going to get a newer , audi, vw or skoda, and so, they just selling them off, which is why i say, those are good cars to buy: usually driven by one person, highway mileage and serviced by southern sales (i dont know if thats a consolation)

Way boi, yuh ponging yuh european cousin so hard? :lol: :lol:
What is amazing is that people misunderstood the european engineering behind the Renaults. A perfect example is this: The owners manual specifically said that coolant is to be put in the bottle. I have seen people fill up the bottle with water and run the car with this. When disaster strikes, who is to blame? The manufacturer or the owner?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 24th, 2012, 11:36 am

Pointman-IA wrote:
kantoine wrote:Resale values for a lot of european marques are low for several reasons:

What is amazing is that people misunderstood the european engineering behind the Renaults. A perfect example is this: The owners manual specifically said that coolant is to be put in the bottle. I have seen people fill up the bottle with water and run the car with this. When disaster strikes, who is to blame? The manufacturer or the owner?

Daiz renault fault :lol:
They should have been more specific. "No water here. Only G12 coolant"
Technically water can be considered coolant.

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 24th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
Pointman-IA wrote:

It is stated...
Will you introduce NP Engine Oil to your VW or stick with Castrol?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » October 24th, 2012, 12:15 pm

aye.. NP ULTRA is blended to international standards! .....said the billboard

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 24th, 2012, 12:18 pm

neexis wrote:aye.. NP ULTRA is blended to international standards! .....said the billboard

Which firm uses NP ULTRA? This is a damn good question.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 24th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Pointman-IA wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
Pointman-IA wrote:

It is stated...
Will you introduce NP Engine Oil to your VW or stick with Castrol?

No. VW doesn't list NP Ultra as a recommended engine oil. The initial impression given was Renault just said "coolant".

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”