TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

DSG failure twice in less than 3 years!

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

DSG failure twice in less than 3 years!

Postby svramoutar » July 25th, 2013, 8:05 am

So, just an update folks, my VW Jetta (MK5) wouldn't start on Monday, lever wouldn't shift out of Park, only to be told it was the mechatronic unit gone bad again for the second time in less than 3 years. The first time it went was when the car was one week old, and then I was told that a batch of them had to be swapped for the updated ones. So, the updated ones are giving trouble now? Honestly, I'm so frustrated with my car, just had too many issues. All I want is a reliable vehicle, and so far this has been the most unreliable one I have ever owned. I really tried hard to love my car, just can't anymore. As sad as it makes me, I'm actually contemplating putting it up for sale, sniff!

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: DSG failure twice in less than 3 years!

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 25th, 2013, 9:32 am

How much you selling it for?

gohtraw
Street 2NR

Postby gohtraw » July 25th, 2013, 10:58 am

Don't mean to knock you bro but are you sure they installed the new DSG from the upgraded set released by VW?

Gool
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Gool » July 26th, 2013, 7:49 am

Dont blame the car bro.. Blame Giles! lol

The Dealership ( service dept) is mainly to blame. u sure they actually changed it? Let someone else have a look at the car and run some diagnostics.

I also have an MK5 that WAS dealership maintained. but not since i bought it :P

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » July 26th, 2013, 8:51 pm

how much you would sell it for?

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 26th, 2013, 9:54 pm

gohtraw wrote:Don't mean to knock you bro but are you sure they installed the new DSG from the upgraded set released by VW?

Well, how would I know? I assumed they changed it then? I guess I just have to wait and see what happens now, as the car already up by BA waiting for the part. I just hope this time they do the correct thing.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 26th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Gool wrote:Dont blame the car bro.. Blame Giles! lol

The Dealership ( service dept) is mainly to blame. u sure they actually changed it? Let someone else have a look at the car and run some diagnostics.

Giles wasn't d man in charge then, so I can't really blame him, however some shady things occurred then with respect to my car so I really don't know what to believe. I would love to run a diagnostic on the car however it's already up by BA waiting for the part to arrive. I myself have stopped servicing up at BA since car out of warranty. I used to be scared to send my car there as every time it came back out, it came with a scratch or ding or something not right. Who do you service by now?

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 26th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:How much you selling it for?

Not really sure, car is in excellent condition and is under 3 years old. The hard part is finding something else just as nice and the only thing I see that I like is the 3 series and d wife might kill me, lol!

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 26th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Pointman-IA wrote:how much you would sell it for?

Not quite sure how much I would get for it. It's less than 3 yrs old and in excellent condition.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 26th, 2013, 10:08 pm

There are cheaper options than the 3 series with decent performance too...Think of A new THREE pointed star...OR you could trade up for the mk6 Jetta lol. Ah mean I really haven't heard any horror stories with it yet and it's been here for about 2 years now.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 26th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:There are cheaper options than the 3 series with decent performance too...Think of A new THREE pointed star...OR you could trade up for the mk6 Jetta lol. Ah mean I really haven't heard any horror stories with it yet and it's been here for about 2 years now.

I heard there are some horror stories with the MK6. I think this time I staying away from VW. Don't like the dsg at all now, don't see the benefit of it to be honest.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 26th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Share the stories nah man. That's what the forum for.

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » July 26th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Share the stories nah man. That's what the forum for.

Bunny..Your VW is the MK6 right?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 27th, 2013, 12:05 am

Yeah

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » July 27th, 2013, 12:10 am

It is the majority of the Mk5s that are having the mechatronic issues?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 27th, 2013, 3:15 am

I can't say for sure.

The majority of mechatronic unit replacement stories I have heard were mk5 related here. I have heard of one mechatronic unit replacement on a mk6 vs the 5 stories from different mk5 owners even though mk5 dsg equipped jettas sold in smaller numbers. Some owners with multiple replacements too.

Gool
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Gool » July 27th, 2013, 6:37 am

svramoutar wrote:

Giles wasn't d man in charge then, so I can't really blame him, however some shady things occurred then with respect to my car so I really don't know what to believe. I would love to run a diagnostic on the car however it's already up by BA waiting for the part to arrive. I myself have stopped servicing up at BA since car out of warranty. I used to be scared to send my car there as every time it came back out, it came with a scratch or ding or something not right. Who do you service by now?

I was joking about Giles eh! :P

I have no major issues with the car cuz i recently bought it. Regarding vw mechs on the outside thers is Ainsley in Arima, Anand in Couva, Dole in cunupia. Even mechs in Southern Sales can work on the car as its basically an Audi A3.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 27th, 2013, 8:22 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Share the stories nah man. That's what the forum for.

I heard about a couple people with dsg issues as well, but you may be right, not as many as the mk5.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 27th, 2013, 8:24 am

Gool wrote:
svramoutar wrote:

I have no major issues with the car cuz i recently bought it. Regarding vw mechs on the outside thers is Ainsley in Arima, Anand in Couva, Dole in cunupia. Even mechs in Southern Sales can work on the car as its basically an Audi A3.

A3 or A4?

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 27th, 2013, 8:32 am

gohtraw wrote:Don't mean to knock you bro but are you sure they installed the new DSG from the upgraded set released by VW?

Not sure how the diagnostic works, but would it tell me if the mechatronic was in fact changed or not the first time the car went in with the issue? Also, as the vehicle is up by BA right now waiting on the part, can they modify info on the car so that the diagnostic says it was in fact changed? I'm asking because I brought up the issue with the service manager concerning the mechatronic failing twice in under 3 years especially since I'm supposed to have the upgraded one. His reply was you can never tell when these parts may fail. I find that really scary. So due to the fact that I asked that, not sure if they would want to modify info on the car to save their asses. If it wasn't changed the first time, bet your bottom dollar I will sue their asses.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 27th, 2013, 9:21 am

From what I read (take that how you wish) mechatronic units aren't something dealers can repair. They swap out units and aren't supposed to try to open it up as it's complex stuff inside. Even a small oil leak on a mechatronic unit leads to the unit being replaced as opposed to trying to stop the leak and refill oil.

I would easier believe they changed the MU and it failed again on you rather than they didn't change it and just repaired. One other option is that the MU needed a software update. I believe there might be a way to physically read the date of manufacture on the MU but I'm not sure.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 27th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:From what I read (take that how you wish) mechatronic units aren't something dealers can repair. They swap out units and aren't supposed to try to open it up as it's complex stuff inside. Even a small oil leak on a mechatronic unit leads to the unit being replaced as opposed to trying to stop the leak and refill oil.

I would easier believe they changed the MU and it failed again on you rather than they didn't change it and just repaired. One other option is that the MU needed a software update. I believe there might be a way to physically read the date of manufacture on the MU but I'm not sure.

You are quite correct. Spoke with Giles earlier on today and he said that they don't open up the units at all, they replace them. He also said it was changed the first time, he remembers doing it, I trust him. He was been straight forward with me right through so need for me not to trust him now. I guess I'll wait and see if the new one holds out.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 27th, 2013, 5:03 pm

It would be useful if you could ask him what seems to be the reason for failure for yours (or anyone else's). Even though they don't open them up I think they are sent back to VW to be analyzed. Maybe Giles might have gotten feedback on what issues failed MU here had.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 27th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:It would be useful if you could ask him what seems to be the reason for failure for yours (or anyone else's). Even though they don't open them up I think they are sent back to VW to be analyzed. Maybe Giles might have gotten feedback on what issues failed MU here had.

I did, I have been asking that question since the first time. All they ever tell me is that it's an electronic part and can go without warning.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 27th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:It would be useful if you could ask him what seems to be the reason for failure for yours (or anyone else's). Even though they don't open them up I think they are sent back to VW to be analyzed. Maybe Giles might have gotten feedback on what issues failed MU here had.

When I asked Dole why it should go twice in under 3 years, his response was " so what wrong with that?"

Gool
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Gool » July 27th, 2013, 8:05 pm

svramoutar wrote:
Gool wrote:
svramoutar wrote:

A3 or A4?

Audi A3, Skoda Octavia, VW jetta all are identical platforms. once the platform model year corresponds. The engine, drivetrain, electronics, suspension etc are the same. with some minor slight variances for certain things. if u need a part ( ie a radiator) and massy dont have in stock, jus go southern sales and buy one for the A3, or sterling and buy one for the octavia - it will be identical)
So the mechanics at sterling and southern sales wont be any strangers to the jetta. same build and guts except for the body shell.

hence the term VAG.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » July 27th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Gool wrote:
svramoutar wrote:
Gool wrote:
svramoutar wrote:

A3 or A4?

Audi A3, Skoda Octavia, VW jetta all are identical platforms. once the platform model year corresponds. The engine, drivetrain, electronics, suspension etc are the same. with some minor slight variances for certain things. if u need a part ( ie a radiator) and massy dont have in stock, jus go southern sales and buy one for the A3, or sterling and buy one for the octavia - it will be identical)
So the mechanics at sterling and southern sales wont be any strangers to the jetta. same build and guts except for the body shell.

hence the term VAG.

Cool, I learnt something today.

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » August 1st, 2013, 5:30 pm

svramoutar wrote:So, just an update folks, my VW Jetta (MK5) wouldn't start on Monday, lever wouldn't shift out of Park, only to be told it was the mechatronic unit gone bad again for the second time in less than 3 years. The first time it went was when the car was one week old, and then I was told that a batch of them had to be swapped for the updated ones. So, the updated ones are giving trouble now? Honestly, I'm so frustrated with my car, just had too many issues. All I want is a reliable vehicle, and so far this has been the most unreliable one I have ever owned. I really tried hard to love my car, just can't anymore. As sad as it makes me, I'm actually contemplating putting it up for sale, sniff!

hopefully you get a good part this time
i'm on number 4, dont have any other info on the older units
but this is the current unit HW/SW numbers, etc
haven't had any problems so far,(except a recuring 006012 fault code)

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 0AM-300-04x.lbl
Part No SW: 0AM 300 048 N HW: 0AM 927 769 D
Component: GSG DSG AG7 431 2681
Revision: 00043014 Serial number: CU501211135667
Coding: 0000020
Shop #: WSC 07737 898 02089
VCID: 3B75EB8F7A4194C69BB

maybe u can compare the part numbers to see whether its a newer unit.
and maybe an Mk6 owner who hasn't had any problem can provide similar info just for comparison
since both Mk5 & 6 use 118kw engines (CAVD & CTHD)

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 1st, 2013, 6:09 pm

syncrod wrote:
svramoutar wrote:So, just an update folks, my VW Jetta (MK5) wouldn't start on Monday, lever wouldn't shift out of Park, only to be told it was the mechatronic unit gone bad again for the second time in less than 3 years. The first time it went was when the car was one week old, and then I was told that a batch of them had to be swapped for the updated ones. So, the updated ones are giving trouble now? Honestly, I'm so frustrated with my car, just had too many issues. All I want is a reliable vehicle, and so far this has been the most unreliable one I have ever owned. I really tried hard to love my car, just can't anymore. As sad as it makes me, I'm actually contemplating putting it up for sale, sniff!

and maybe an Mk6 owner who hasn't had any problem can provide similar info just for comparison

Here is mine. Mk6 Jetta. CAVD engine.

Part No SW: 0AM 300 053 HW: 0AM 927 769 D
Component: GSG DSG AG7 431 3029
Revision: 00043014 Serial number: CU501112056516
Shop #: WSC 02069 000 90108
VCID: E9F7E4F9C0C01D56B97

No fault code found.

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » August 1st, 2013, 6:15 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
syncrod wrote:

Here is mine. Mk6 Jetta. CAVD engine.

Part No SW: 0AM 300 053 HW: 0AM 927 769 D
Component: GSG DSG AG7 431 3029
Revision: 00043014 Serial number: CU501112056516
Shop #: WSC 02069 000 90108
VCID: E9F7E4F9C0C01D56B97

No fault code found.

based on the serial number i may have a newer model
Hw number remains the same/ sw versions diff (maybe the reason for my fault code??!?! :?: )
so when u get get the car back check the hw/sw numbers

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”