TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Official VAG DSG/Dual Clutch Transmission Thread

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

karl
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Official VAG DSG/Dual Clutch Transmission Thread

Postby karl » March 29th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Not very but loud enough to be noticeable for a few seconds just after you switch off. Ruled out the a/c as it does it regardless of use of a/c. Also allowed enough spool down time so it's not the turbine spinning ...

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 29th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Diverter valve releasing pressure? I dunno. When I switch off all I hear are the fans. How long does the breathing go for?

karl
3NE 2NR for life

Postby karl » March 29th, 2014, 2:48 pm

I would say about 5 seconds then it dies off ....sometimes less

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 29th, 2014, 3:04 pm

karl
3NE 2NR for life

Postby karl » March 29th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Last edited by karl on May 4th, 2017, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » March 30th, 2014, 1:02 am

Hear it every time I switch off, don't know what it is. Never heard it on the mk6

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » March 30th, 2014, 5:34 pm

I think that's the turbo timer. It usually runs for a bit after switching off the car to cool things down.
There's actually no need to let the car idle for spool down because of this.

I've gotten that exact same sound on mine after switching off ever since. I've never actually heard a fan running.

fastredcar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby fastredcar » April 1st, 2014, 9:28 pm

Hey guys,

Have an update regarding the failing DSG on my Jetta:

Another sign...is when you put in gear and it doesn't register as a gear gone in...feels as though it is in neutral.

So I put in back into Park, waited a couple of seconds then put it back in gear...and it catched.

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » April 12th, 2014, 11:13 am

So I now leave the gas station
In D mode stepped abit heavy nothing out of the ordinary
Just as its abit to shift to 3
All hell break loose
Lost power for a few seconds.
And then it went into some sort of limp mode flashing gear icons and 2nd gear max no more than 60kmph

Made it home, now gonna try and diagnosis the problem

Update 1: fault code 6009 transmission input shaft 1
Over speed

Gonna clear and diagnosis again

Update 2: Problem solved, i'm guessing that my worn clutch slipped during upshift and caused the issue.
only thing to do now is to replace the clutch pack and get it done with

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 12th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Sorry to hear that. You gonna get BA to do it? What's the mileage on it?

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » April 12th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Sorry to hear that. You gonna get BA to do it? What's the mileage on it?

Yeah might have to go with BA
Was trying the baby the issue but looks like I'll have to change them soon than I wanted

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 12th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Ask for goodwill even though it's wear and tear item...not like if you have control of the clutch pedal to govern wear and tear yourself.

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » April 14th, 2014, 6:41 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Ask for goodwill even though it's wear and tear item...not like if you have control of the clutch pedal to govern wear and tear yourself.

Car is at 31k and some change
You know of anyone who has the correct tools and can perform the task?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 14th, 2014, 10:46 am

syncrod wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Ask for goodwill even though it's wear and tear item...not like if you have control of the clutch pedal to govern wear and tear yourself.

Car is at 31k and some change
You know of anyone who has the correct tools and can perform the task?

No clue apart from BA. DSG is relatively new to TnT.

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » April 14th, 2014, 7:02 pm

syncrod you can try dole 6842057

Jon Gill
Street 2NR

Postby Jon Gill » April 16th, 2014, 11:46 am

Was thinking on purchasing a Bora but I think these Mexican built vehicles are very inferior & VW does not want to admit..

an intresting read:

I spoke at length with VWoA and NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) representatives.

VWoA claims they will NOT voluntarily issue a Safety Recall on the DSG/Mechatronics Unit even with the recent surge in DSG failures. "There's no reason for it", they said. Nor would they comment on the actual number of DSG failures they have on record or if anyone has reported a serious incident like many here on VWvortex.

They did admit to a parts shortage for the components needed to build replacement Mechatronic Units back in Germany. But their official excuse for the long delay is that replacement Mechatronic Units are made custom VIN specific. That may be, but some believe this firmware flash could be reloaded into the Mech.U. here in the USA. VWoA said the current lead time is approx. 4-8 weeks to deliver replacement Mech.U.'s to each service center. Whatever the truth is, it's causing a severe repair backlog at dealerships and long hardship delays for owners. It's going to hit critical mass, especially now since Mech.U. that were recently replaced are beginning to fail again. Repeated failures are being reported country wide. Some owners have even reported 2 or 3 Mech.U. before a whole new tranny does the trick! But even then, some new DSG replacement transmissions are reported failing soon after they are installed. (Does anyone else hear taps being played off in the distance?)

VWoA said they will continue to repair faulty DSG's or Mechatronic units under warranty but only "as they fail". For those out of warranty, they will need to pay for the rather steep repair out of pocket. ($3 to $4,000.00) (But what about the safety factor for those either in or out of warranty?) VWoA would not admit that these documented DSG failures point to a possible reliability issue, or at least to an inherent design flaw that may reduce the DSG's overall lifespan or produce repeated component failures. (Most defect-free DSG's are lasting between 50 and 100,000 miles before some type of failure occurs. As brilliant as this design may be, it's clear that this transmission may not have been ready for prime-time, especially when measured against today's longevity standards.)

It was no surprise that VWoA would not acknowledge that this defect could pose a safety risk to the owners and occupants of their cars as well as to other motorists. This type of PR suicide is what every business should fear most but VWoA is not budging. One would think that parent VW-AG would take this ticking time bomb a little more seriously before it hits the media with blood on their hands! (Remember what happened to Ford and their flipping Explorer?... or to Firestone and their crummy tread-less tires?) It's only a matter of time. They're obligated by the terms of their warranty to repair defective cars, but we're talking about preventing serious injury and loss of life here.*

The NHTSA appears to be VERY interested in our DSG cars. They said that we should each file a Safety/Defect Complaint with them On-Line ASAP... that these reports SEND UP MORE RED FLAGS FASTER than a written petition... that we should tell them EVERYTHING we have experienced along with our fears if this defect is allowed to go unchecked. They were clearly eager to hear our stories.

Therefore, my thanks to all those who have voted thus far... but PLEASE file your complaint directly with the agency... & please pass the word to other Vortex members or to other Forum Sites. We should stand together on this. It appears to be worldwide.

Here is the LINK to the NHTSA form. If you are one of the many with DSG issues, please take the time and fill one out. It should take no more than 10 min. tops:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ure-Update

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » April 18th, 2014, 8:42 pm

The Jetta is assembled in Mexico... yes.

The DSG 7, DQ200 is made in Germany, and is also present in the local 1.8TSI Passat.

I'd take that post with a grain of salt as VWoA's vehicles are quite different from the ones we get down here.

fastredcar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby fastredcar » April 20th, 2014, 11:44 pm

Hey guys...

So yesterday I encountered something very similar to syncrod...

Mashed the gas...my car stuttered...slowed all the way down to 0...the EPC light came on the dash and well..yeah it was limp mode from then on.

Found a safe place to stop, switched off my engine then started back, felt ok..but then as I mashed the gas again it happened...

Guess my DSG Mechatronic unit is finally going..for good. Drove it today and it was fine, but I did not kick down etc....and I real 'pet it"...

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 21st, 2014, 12:23 am

I thought you got yours swapped already...?

fastredcar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby fastredcar » April 21st, 2014, 1:08 pm

Nope...was not swapped...they don't know if the part arrived etc..they were supposed to call me back etc but no luck. Will call them first thing tomorrow though.

Dealing with Kirk, real nice guy, know him from the drag circuit etc long time, but he can only work as best as the company allows..if you know what I mean.

Oh well..

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » April 22nd, 2014, 8:38 pm

fastredcar wrote:Nope...was not swapped...they don't know if the part arrived etc..they were supposed to call me back etc but no luck. Will call them first thing tomorrow though.

Dealing with Kirk, real nice guy, know him from the drag circuit etc long time, but he can only work as best as the company allows..if you know what I mean.

Oh well..

i waiting on them to call me back on the clutch pack prices but they taking to long, might just order it from germany

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 23rd, 2014, 9:31 pm

:agrue: :evil:
Trinidad too small... Earlier a friend of mines made a post using my car as a guineapig for why VW sucks and trying to justify why Japanese cars are the way to go (which may or may not be true depending on how you look at the glass). A colleague of mines from BA called me (thinking it was me making the post) and told me about it. I then had my friend remove his irrational statements from this thread since it reflects badly on me and possibly could cause issues with me sorting out my car with BA now...

Not being one to post (as you can see from my post count) I'll simply state that I also experienced this mechatronic unit issue and was discovered pretty much the same as fastredcar - car bucked and downshifted for itself then after switching off then on again, wouldn't pass 4th gear. Car's exactly 3 years old doing 60,000k.

BA sorting out the issue though and car's been in for two weeks now. The problem is that the part's not in stock and just a waiting game now to get feedback on the ETA for the part from Germany. It's an inconvenience to not have my car, but I guess the silver lining is that better to be inconvenienced and be told the straight and honest truth instead of being bs'd and given false expectations (which is something that their Management should be commended on, IMO). Am also hopeful that the mechatronics unit would get replaced on goodwill (which I think is a real A+ having benefitted from it on a clutch replacement).

Just thought I'd share my experience and clear the air on an irrational post.

On that subject though, I am selling this car - looking for something a lil less technologically advanced (which would inevitably be Japanese) or perhaps something more stable from VW (like a Tiguan or Golf GTI with the 6 speed wet clutch DSG). Would anyone be interested? (PCS Passat comfortline, 60,000km, $180k ONO). Make an offer - who knows, I just may bite.

fastredcar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby fastredcar » April 23rd, 2014, 10:10 pm

Hello guys..well, I hear you all..and the truth is, I am staying European, unless its a Subaru. This was my first taste of the Euro feel, and I must say that I like it..just this issue and stuff, but overall I really like it. Just hope that BA can sort it out as soon as though.

Two weeks you say? Wow...well I am hoping..really. Did you get a replacement car to drive in the meantime?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » April 23rd, 2014, 10:58 pm

@carluva: sorry to hear about your problems. You're probably the second case of a Passat with DSG issues that I'm hearing of. I heard of one a few months ago with similar issue: mechatronic went bad few months outside of warranty, but was replaced under goodwill. I hear the car works better now. Also a PCS registration...
Did they provide a courtesy car?

@fastredcar
I hear ya on going Euro and not looking back. I share the same sentiment. Is there any going back?

On a related note, got a PCR Tribeca in the family (bout 3 years old, doing about 20k km) and I'm now hearing of issues with the transmission, juddering and jerkiness from the start. Checked by the dealer many times and never resolved.
Also the interior plastics seem to be a bit flimsy with a clips breaking and pieces coming loose. For a 600k vehicle that's been mild to moderately used, I am not impressed. Owner is frustrated and can't wait to sell.

Is Subaru really supposed to be better among the Japs? I used to think so, but now I don't feel so confident.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 24th, 2014, 9:19 am

@ fasteredcar @neexis
Two weeks and counting - I think it's be at least two-three weeks until the new part comes in. When life gives you lemons you make lemonade - I appreciate BA's honesty and service so far, despite the inconveniences, and I know they have boundaries within which they can operate - that's my lemonade. I think if it were different circumstances - no feedback or false expectations, I'd be a whole lot more annoyed and more like a lemon.

I've not yet been provided with a courtesy car. BA have told me that all the courtesy vehicles are out and they expect to get back some soon. Once they get one back, I'd be given a courtesy car. Again - an inconvenience, but honesty prevails.

I agree that the Euro cars are leagues superior to the Japanese counterparts... I was planning to sell my car this year with the hope to change to a Golf GTI (for me to enjoy) or a Tiguan (for the family and me to enjoy). After extensively reading on the www about mechatronics and DSG issues it seems that most are related to this DQ200, 7-speed wet clucth DSG found on the passat 1.8TSI. The GTI and Tiguan both have the 6-speed wet clutch DSG which have fewer reported issues so I think that's a + in their books. Given these facts though, if I'm buying a new car, I think there's a due diligence that once should exercise and this requires consideration of Japanese cars and perhaps the Audi's (A4 and Q5).

I do like my car and parting with it would be difficult. I think one year ago I was 100% pro-Euro. Now I'm probably 80% pro-Euro. That number could well have been 50-60% pro-Euro but one thing for me that has saved some grace is BA's representation and after-sales service. Yes I've had a couple of issues and yes a run in with persons, but that's life and reality. In past situations, BA have understood my issues and I benefitted from the VW goodwill (which is a really excellent service that I am hopeful I can benefit from on this mechatronics issue). IMO, this is great for service and something most of the Japanese car dealers don't have or are now instituting (i.e. quality service) and this is why I'm not totally against the Euro or VW for that matter. These cars are like computers - occassional updates and a reboot one or twice. I consider this mechatronics issue a reboot and have no doubt that the car would perform like a beast once more. But as I said earlier - I need another beast and just given the cost of these cars, due diligence is in order.

I'll keep you all posted on how this turns out, but in the meantime if anyone's interested in buying this car, let me know.

4Motion
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 4Motion » April 24th, 2014, 11:30 am

carluva wrote:I've not yet been provided with a courtesy car. BA have told me that all the courtesy vehicles are out and they expect to get back some soon. Once they get one back, I'd be given a courtesy car. Again - an inconvenience, but honesty prevails.

Haha courtesy car. I'm sure they have, they just don't like giving them out just so particularly out of warranty. Once a complaint is made to the higher powers they magically appear.... They even have Tiguans & Passats if you make a big enough of a fuss. :) I've been told the same as you about them being out etc and when they come back......

Be prepared I know ppl with dsg problems and their car has been down for 2 months. I'm thankful everyday that my Tiguan didn't come with a DSG.

Best of Luck! Good move to sell before the bills start to add up.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 24th, 2014, 12:10 pm

4Motion wrote:
Haha courtesy car. I'm sure they have, they just don't like giving them out just so particularly out of warranty. Once a complaint is made to the higher powers they magically appear.... They even have Tiguans & Passats if you make a big enough of a fuss. :) I've been told the same as you about them being out etc and when they come back......

What other higher powers? I really in no mood to make any fuss.

4Motion
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 4Motion » April 24th, 2014, 12:28 pm

carluva wrote:
What other higher powers? I really in no mood to make any fuss.

I agree about not liking to make a fuss. That's why when I send my Tig in I have a contingency plan as BA is terribly understaffed. I'm lucky enough to have another car.

If you are being inconvenienced without a car I would recommend speaking to the GM and be firm about it. So at least he is aware of what's going on and things take longer than planned. Otherwise it depends on who you know and your friends know. I know many who just go straight to the CEO N&M Automotive. But I feel that going to high up unless things are going catastrophic.

It's something that really annoys me about car dealers in t&t you to often have to make a fuss to get things rolling

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 24th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Agreed - I know the GM and to be honest the feedback came from him. So I am not pursuing it as vociferously as others may think I should cause I also have a loaner that I can use in the meantime. It's based on principle though and that is where I'll agree with you... The problem with the vehicle is VW's not mines (as is clear by many of the recalls for this part in Asia/Oceania) so as a responsible company the right thing is to sort out the issue (as quickly as humanly possible) and provide for any inconveniences too. I think this is BA's approach but just that they have constraints and I understand and accept - hence the reason I am not fussing over it and cause I have a car at my expense when needed. All things considered, and I mean all from the last three years, it's not worth a fuss nor do I think that this is the responsible thing for me to do. My approach is to let the ppl do their job and getthe feedback in a timely manner (or touch base with them from time to time). Escalation is onley required when things go, as you say, catastrophically wrong and even so, there is a chain of command to follow.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 24th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Spoke to a former Service Manager who used to work there. The first thing he asked me was how was my dsg and if I had any problems with it. He mentioned that when he was there they had a lot of problems locally with mechatronic units for the mk5 Jetta. They would change them and then they would fail again.

According to him VW at the time would send down units one one which basically frustrated the dealer and customer due to the downtime. Eventually the dealer convinced VW to send down batches of mechatronic units to smoothen and speed things up.

I found the story interesting even if I can't vouch for the authenticity of the material.

I always found dealers should be more forthcoming with how the system works. Being upfront about saying it will take two weeks to get a part is fine but not calling back after weeks have passed doesn't make the dealer look good at all especially if they don't really know where the part is or when it will be delivered.

No explanation of what the real constraints are just leaves a void open for speculation and bad press. You really think the dealer has no idea when a multi thousand dollar part won't be delivered? Said multi thousand dollar part doesn't have a tracking number when it is being shipped? Without a proper explanation as to how parts are ordered I find that very hard to believe. These are the sought of issues that send persons away to purchase other manufacturers simply due to peace of mind.

To those in this thread with dsg issues I hope you get it sorted ASAP.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”