TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Official VAG DSG/Dual Clutch Transmission Thread

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

vseepaul
Riding on 13's

Re: Official VAG DSG/Dual Clutch Transmission Thread

Postby vseepaul » September 7th, 2016, 10:15 am

Good day All, am new to the site but was reading thru the thread and I must say that I have experienced alot of what you all speak of. Earlier this year my Jetta, a PCZ, started to shudder on the highway, pulled aside, wrecked it to the firm only to find out that one of the piston chambers had lost compression and I would require an engine rebuild. My car remained at the firm for 2mths+ until they awaited word from Germany as to if they could foot the bill for the parts n rebuild. Luckily I got it done at a total cost of $2,500.00 for labour and with a 6mth warranty. NOW, on a couple occasions, when it's time for the Turbo to engage the seems to lose power as soon as the RPM goes over 3000. So far I think it's happened on 4 occassions, all when I've left home after the car's been parked overnight.

Any advice before I go in to Best Auto and get on like meh usual self and loud dem up?...lol... It just seems like it's from one to the next with this car...

It seems you guys know alot about the workings and intricacies of the VW engines.....thanks in advance for any useful info....

VS

vseepaul
Riding on 13's

Postby vseepaul » September 7th, 2016, 10:19 am

Ohhh....and #2...my reverse screen won't come up now...when I gear into reverse, there's only a long, loud beep but teh screen doesn't come nor do the sensors work...is it that the sensors are malfunctioning or is it something to do with the connection between the gear and the screen?

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » September 7th, 2016, 10:23 am

@vseepaul welcome to the forum 1st thing you should do is invest in a Ross tech interface also did you get the car scanned what codes came up?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 7th, 2016, 10:31 am

vseepaul wrote:Good day All, am new to the site but was reading thru the thread and I must say that I have experienced alot of what you all speak of. Earlier this year my Jetta, a PCZ, started to shudder on the highway, pulled aside, wrecked it to the firm only to find out that one of the piston chambers had lost compression and I would require an engine rebuild. My car remained at the firm for 2mths+ until they awaited word from Germany as to if they could foot the bill for the parts n rebuild. Luckily I got it done at a total cost of $2,500.00 for labour and with a 6mth warranty. NOW, on a couple occasions, when it's time for the Turbo to engage the seems to lose power as soon as the RPM goes over 3000. So far I think it's happened on 4 occassions, all when I've left home after the car's been parked overnight.

Any advice before I go in to Best Auto and get on like meh usual self and loud dem up?...lol... It just seems like it's from one to the next with this car...

It seems you guys know alot about the workings and intricacies of the VW engines.....thanks in advance for any useful info....

VS

The 3000 rpm limitation is because the car senses a problem with possibly a few parts. If your supercharger is not engaging properly the car will not let you rev over 3000. Another possibility is the flap in the intake that switches air between the supercharger and the turbo might be stuck. The car knows these things and goes into a sort of failsafe mode.

Easiest way to diagnose would be with a Ross Tech VCDS cable. You can also check for coolant leaks. The clutch that engages the supercharger is part of the waterpump and if the pump is going the symptoms can look like supercharger issues.

Neither of these scenarios is as bad as an engine rebuild though. If I had to guess without looking at the car I would bet it's a supercharger clutch problem requiring the waterpump to be replaced.

What's the colour of your coolant?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 7th, 2016, 10:34 am

vseepaul wrote:Ohhh....and #2...my reverse screen won't come up now...when I gear into reverse, there's only a long, loud beep but teh screen doesn't come nor do the sensors work...is it that the sensors are malfunctioning or is it something to do with the connection between the gear and the screen?

This can be a lose connection. I've seen this happen when I disconnected my front sensors. A VCDS scan would show the error easily whether it's the front or rear sensors that have an issue.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » September 11th, 2016, 8:56 am

Somebody spamming across all forums?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » September 20th, 2016, 6:08 pm

So 3 months later after what was supposed to be a 3 week repair, car was picked up today. Gearbox was replaced and car is back to driving again. It feels somewhat different but it could be because I've driven so many other vehicles over the past 3 months.

As A2BE has said before, Good Will is real. VW covered 100% of the cost of parts ($30K+) and 50% labour [a most unexpected move].

BA did provide a courtesy vehicle for the last 3.5 weeks (this only happened after I wrote to VW international). Car trouble of this magnitude esp with a relatively new vehicle can be disenchanting.... and it was. The courtesy vehicle helped, and it was a big surprise that the bill for all the work was relatively small.

Will post part numbers later.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 21st, 2016, 6:22 am

Glad you finally got it back. 3 months is fackin rough. I could never see it as 3 weeks cuz the dealer and manufacturer real pull stones when it comes to ordering. Still, thank god for goodwill.

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » March 22nd, 2017, 12:18 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
vseepaul wrote:Good day All, am new to the site but was reading thru the thread and I must say that I have experienced alot of what you all speak of. Earlier this year my Jetta, a PCZ, started to shudder on the highway, pulled aside, wrecked it to the firm only to find out that one of the piston chambers had lost compression and I would require an engine rebuild. My car remained at the firm for 2mths+ until they awaited word from Germany as to if they could foot the bill for the parts n rebuild. Luckily I got it done at a total cost of $2,500.00 for labour and with a 6mth warranty. NOW, on a couple occasions, when it's time for the Turbo to engage the seems to lose power as soon as the RPM goes over 3000. So far I think it's happened on 4 occassions, all when I've left home after the car's been parked overnight.

VS

The 3000 rpm limitation is because the car senses a problem with possibly a few parts. If your supercharger is not engaging properly the car will not let you rev over 3000. Another possibility is the flap in the intake that switches air between the supercharger and the turbo might be stuck. The car knows these things and goes into a sort of failsafe mode.

Easiest way to diagnose would be with a Ross Tech VCDS cable. You can also check for coolant leaks. The clutch that engages the supercharger is part of the waterpump and if the pump is going the symptoms can look like supercharger issues.

Neither of these scenarios is as bad as an engine rebuild though. If I had to guess without looking at the car I would bet it's a supercharger clutch problem requiring the waterpump to be replaced.

What's the colour of your coolant?

A2be the color of the coolant has a part to play determining what condition the water pump is in?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 23rd, 2017, 12:43 pm

Coolant colour can help determine what is going wrong sometimes. If it's black it could mean the water pump's plastic impellers are disintegrating. They are made from a black plastic and can discolor the coolant as they break down.

paddyo
Riding on 13's

Postby paddyo » August 4th, 2017, 10:54 am

Hi all, anyone experienced this fault:
005947 - position sensor 2 for gear selector
P173B - 000 - Implausible Signal

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » August 4th, 2017, 11:07 am

paddyo wrote:Hi all, anyone experienced this fault: