TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

OIL COOLERS

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

dcarman
Street 2NR

OIL COOLERS

Postby dcarman » February 26th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Hello All

does any one here have experience with the additional of an additional oil cooler on a transmission on a skoda octavia? and what the cost is like?
any recomendation/advice?

thanks

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: OIL COOLERS

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » February 26th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Its not necessary as the valve body is made of aluminum so doesn't attract as much heat,plus its aircooled

What I can tell you is the pistons within the valve body are metal, so it would benefit and prolong transmission to use Nuetral gear at each stop light as once gear is in Drive, the oil pump still pumps oil while foot is on the brakes....over time of this there would be wear to the piston bores on the valve body which means rough gear change later on say 200,000km etc
Last edited by EcoTune Trinidad on March 3rd, 2015, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalcio
Riding on 13's

Postby Dalcio » March 3rd, 2015, 12:11 am

There is some debate on this subject, as any alterations to factory design will bring about red flags in the minds of most vw owners. If your Skoda was built on the same platform as the MK4 VW line
I would have had two bad experiences with those transmission oil coolers on vw Boras. The units burst internally,allowing coolant to enter the transmission.You would identify at first by a pink creamy substance in your expansion tank and obvious the start of trans problems.Its already too late. Costly to you as the manual then recommends the replacement of trans oil, filter,clutch disc and cleaning of valve body and additional flushing of the coolant system and new coolant.
I would recommend the addition of and air cooled system being cooled by the radiator fan.This has worked for me and gives the comfort of not having to deal with that unnecessary disaster.
you can research on line for guild lines about the sizes and application before you just buy any oil cooler. The other main difficulties are the correct treading and fittings to adapt to your trans bore.You can check places like Trinidad Hose, that carry hydraulic fittings.Hoses, you have the option of making permanent crimped hose or push lock reusable fittings and hose.
I have done this on both cars for the past five years and so far no issues

purple_heart77
Sweet on this forum

Postby purple_heart77 » March 3rd, 2015, 8:05 am

This is why I like this forum!
Informative and up to date GOOD info.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”