TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

BMW 316i oil consumption

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

soulreaver
Ricer

BMW 316i oil consumption

Postby soulreaver » March 3rd, 2016, 3:51 pm

My e46 uses about a quart of oil for approx 2000miles, at present im using castrol full syntec 5w50. ive read that according to bmw standards this is normal. also i don't really see any signs of leaks. Also read that it could be my crankcase ventilation valve on the way out. Anyone else had similiar issues? I have the N42 engine

drecon23
Riding on 13's

Re: BMW 316i oil consumption

Postby drecon23 » March 11th, 2016, 8:44 pm

yeah they say its normal 1 qrt per 1000km...check your pcv valve in case its being sucked out also our local driving conditions are considered harsh so consumption will be higher...also make sure the castrol you are using is Euro spec which is the one in the gold bottle available in 4L (can be bought from Automotive Supplies Company in POS...if that doesnt work Liqui Moly fully syntec in the purple bottle is also high quality to reduce burn off in our hot conditions with stop go driving.

having a similar issue with my N45 engine but i have a slight rear main seal leak recently switched to shell helix ultra with pure plus technology 5w-40 to see how i can reduce the burn off in this heat.

soulreaver
Ricer

Postby soulreaver » March 11th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Thanks for your feedback, I actually changed oil today and was told to use shell helix hx7 full syntec 10w30 so I'm keeping an eye on it, car now doing 144***, also added liqui moly oil additive, I inspected under the engine and noticed a slight oil dribble on the side of oil pan. Wondering if that's the culprit. Presently reside in Tobago so I'm limited to good access to Euro oil.

rcpmal
Ricer

Postby rcpmal » April 6th, 2016, 12:30 pm

soulreaver wrote:Thanks for your feedback, I actually changed oil today and was told to use shell helix hx7 full syntec 10w30 so I'm keeping an eye on it, car now doing 144***, also added liqui moly oil additive, I inspected under the engine and noticed a slight oil dribble on the side of oil pan. Wondering if that's the culprit. Presently reside in Tobago so I'm limited to good access to Euro oil.

How the sell working? I find that oil consumption was too much. I have the N46 engine and every 5000k or so I will need to add 1/2 quart. Using Royal Purple HPS though

soulreaver
Ricer

Postby soulreaver » April 7th, 2016, 10:31 pm

rcpmal wrote:
soulreaver wrote:Thanks for your feedback, I actually changed oil today and was told to use shell helix hx7 full syntec 10w30 so I'm keeping an eye on it, car now doing 144***, also added liqui moly oil additive, I inspected under the engine and noticed a slight oil dribble on the side of oil pan. Wondering if that's the culprit. Presently reside in Tobago so I'm limited to good access to Euro oil.

How the sell working? I find that oil consumption was too much. I have the N46 engine and every 5000k or so I will need to add 1/2 quart. Using Royal Purple HPS though

The Shell is good but still encountered the same oil usage. However I'm wondering if it's the rocker cover gasket, though I'm not really noticing much oil along the edges except for under the oil pan, don't know if that's it or maybe valve seals need changing

rcpmal
Ricer

Postby rcpmal » June 2nd, 2016, 11:13 am

Hi Bro found I got best performance from the RP HPS oils so I bought Royal Purple High Performance Oils in bulk now. Selling for my partners going for $85 per quart. http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/prod ... motor-oil/

Let me know if any of your friends want.

soulreaver
Ricer

Postby soulreaver » June 3rd, 2016, 2:31 pm

Do you have it in 20w50

Rastajorge
Ricer

Postby Rastajorge » November 14th, 2016, 11:15 pm

Use a schaeffer's moly oil treatment, it cleans and unsticks your rings and increases the temperature at which your oil burns out. It also reduces/eliminates blow by.contact 620-4779 for your schaeffer's range of products.

RWD
3NE 2NR for life

Postby RWD » November 30th, 2016, 3:17 am

Do a compression test and check for oil leaks..

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”