TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

BMW KEYS LOCKED IN TRUNK FIX.

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

B11 e16 bison
Street 2NR

BMW KEYS LOCKED IN TRUNK FIX.

Postby B11 e16 bison » March 17th, 2017, 7:25 am

Disclaimer I am not to be responsible for any damage you my cause to your car should you follow this method. Do at your own risk.
Greetings,
I own a BMW E46, great car , however I managed to lock my only set of keys in my trunk. I search many forums and questioned many experts in the field to help me with my situation. One expert suggested I break a back light another one told me to get a drill and drill out the key barrel and a locksmith was charging $2,500 just to do a visit to the car and he was uncertain if he could get the trunk open.I said ok i'll take that risk but days passed and he was always busy so I looked for a way around all these suggestions and luckilly I found one.

I noticed when you look into the trunk from the to point closest to the glass on the driver's side there is a housing for a harness. The clearance was maybe less that a cm. I had some long tweezers in my house some where so I managed to break apart the tweezers and unclip the harness safely to expose the wires. From there I knew if I supplied 12Vdc to the correct wires I could get the actuator to pull the latch and open the tunk. All I needed to know was which wire did what. I got that info from this website http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511230.

Image (credits bluebee @ http://www.bimmerfest.com)

I then got an old battery charger 12v connected the leads to the pointed tweezers and slightly punctured the appropriate wires just enough to make electrical contact but not damage the wires. I then heard the truck make a click sound and the alarm went off. I successfully retrieved my keys without any damage to my car.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: BMW KEYS LOCKED IN TRUNK FIX.

Postby Dave » March 19th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Kudos to you!

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Re: BMW KEYS LOCKED IN TRUNK FIX.

Postby pjfred » March 19th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Another fix is to keep a spare key.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”