Friend on mine has a starting problem with '98 BMW E36:
1. Turned the key no start, dashboard lights dimming...
2. check battery (doesn't appear to be properly rated for vehicle) topped up water.
3. check and cleaned battery poles.
4. After market alarm reset after battery reconnected.
5. Turned key in ignition again. nothing from engine. long and short beeping sounds from dash, guage needles going up and down, whirring noise coming from engine area near fuse box while this is happening.
6. No power to windows, headlamps faint, etc...
7. Tried ignition again. still nothing from engine. one long beep from dashboard then nothing. mileage appears and disappears. Alarm barely chirping. have to lock/unlock doors manually now.
I think this sums it up.
Can anyone offer any insight to this problem?