TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Mountain Biking

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS
Posts: 3136
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 11:10 am
Location: San Juan

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 16th, 2018, 12:21 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
V2NR 3.0 wrote:WTF I reading here - all yuh men is horse. 12 miles a day ! Jesus pieces. That’s like San Juan to Chaguanas


You eh see Vexx Dog stats?? - 60kms. That's Port of Spain to San Do and on hills none the less.


Dammmmmm - wtf all yuh men eating !

Advertisement
User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11079
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: @fsociety

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 16th, 2018, 10:04 am

I'm an amateur eh. just over 1 year on the saddle.
My average speed is slower because I'm on a MTB, so it averages out to about 20km/h when I'm on hilly terrain. Bike has decent gearing for road tho, so I'm glad.

Them kitted fellas with road bike does move with pace! I barely have gear.
I ride with a long sleeve cotton tee ( beats sunburn) and a normal shorts and sneakers :)
helmet for safety, and gloves for comfort.

My longest ride to date was 70km.

If I could make it up to 100, I could try the coast to coast ride from Waterloo to Manzan, but I'll need a ride home lolol

User avatar
V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS
Posts: 3136
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 11:10 am
Location: San Juan

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 16th, 2018, 11:43 am

I ride 6 miles and wanted to "dead out"

User avatar
ismithx
punchin NOS
Posts: 3970
Joined: August 12th, 2010, 11:46 am
Location: riding till the wheels fall off

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby ismithx » April 16th, 2018, 1:49 pm

keep at it, in a few months you'll be there... also make sure and lube your chain every... 50km or so... it does help a lot. make sure your tyre pressure is as high as possible. these things will make sure you can move fast and without unnecessary effort

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7387
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 21st, 2018, 11:07 pm

I ride 15 miles on Saturdays without stopping. It's actually impressive for me considering how fat I am. But I lose 17 pounds so far since the beginning of the year but I still have 60 pounds left to lose.

I have experience riding bicycle on the roads and I have been in many accidents during my life on a bike, what I learned is to ALWAYS expect the unexpected from drivers when you are on a bike.

The amount of times drivers pulled into roads left of me while I was riding to the far left of them and ended up having me run into them is quite something. I learned that a headlight flashing during daylight is important, I learned that 10% of Trini drivers try to spite you when you lane split on a bicycle, I assume its the same with motorbikes. They purposely pull on you to knock you over or stop you from advancing. I learned to be extremely careful when overtaking cars in traffic because you never know when a car up ahead is coming out of a side road in your blind spot. I learned that when crossing parked cars at traffic lights across a road to be very careful of a shoulder lane that allows cars to exit onto a mainroad as they come speeding down the road.

I learned that riding on the Highway Shoulder lane is much much SAFER than riding on mainroads as there is a way bigger chance of a vehicle knocking you down on a mainroad since there isn't enough space to ride at the side of the roads and simply too many side roads and too many opportunities to be knocked down.

I pass police and roadblock VERY often on the highway and I have NEVER been pulled over for riding on a highway. Which leads me to believe those signs on the Southern Highway that says "NO Animals, Bicycles etc" is just a load of sh!t. If riding on the shoulder was a crime someone would have been charged already.

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7387
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 21st, 2018, 11:16 pm

ismithx wrote:keep at it, in a few months you'll be there... also make sure and lube your chain every... 50km or so... it does help a lot. make sure your tyre pressure is as high as possible. these things will make sure you can move fast and without unnecessary effort


Yeah but my MTB can only hold around 60 PSI. High pressure really is key but that wind is nasty it does push me back HARD. I wonder how easier a roadbike is against wind compared to a MTB.

User avatar
ismithx
punchin NOS
Posts: 3970
Joined: August 12th, 2010, 11:46 am
Location: riding till the wheels fall off

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby ismithx » April 21st, 2018, 11:26 pm

drop handles on a roadbike plus the higher gearing will allow you to get a more aerodynamic position and pedal faster.... you still gonna have to deal with wind

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7387
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 21st, 2018, 11:30 pm

ismithx wrote:drop handles on a roadbike plus the higher gearing will allow you to get a more aerodynamic position and pedal faster.... you still gonna have to deal with wind


So you saying the wind will ALWAYS be a MAJOR issue no matter what bike you buy?

Except a motorbike that is.

User avatar
30hz
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 265
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 7:20 am

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby 30hz » April 22nd, 2018, 12:06 am

e.d.
I saw you today, headed south on the st helena bypass. i recognized the bike from your uploads, my 29er have the same paint. try to invest in a helmet nah.

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7387
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 22nd, 2018, 12:15 am

30hz wrote:e.d.
I saw you today, headed south on the st helena bypass. i recognized the bike from your uploads, my 29er have the same paint. try to invest in a helmet nah.



Yeah that was me was coming back home from my 15 mile ride I went Caura. Never really thought about a helmet before to be honest, but seeing as my friend died with a head injury just last week I feel is bess I really invest in a helmet.

And yeah I love that Satin / Matte Paint finish a lot more than gloss

User avatar
30hz
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 265
Joined: August 15th, 2008, 7:20 am

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby 30hz » April 22nd, 2018, 12:31 am

mine looked like this new....... upgraded the peddals n grips
Attachments
nevada-29-19-main-photo-lowres.jpg

Redman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5478
Joined: August 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby Redman » April 22nd, 2018, 4:14 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
30hz wrote:e.d.
I saw you today, headed south on the st helena bypass. i recognized the bike from your uploads, my 29er have the same paint. try to invest in a helmet nah.



Yeah that was me was coming back home from my 15 mile ride I went Caura. Never really thought about a helmet before to be honest, but seeing as my friend died with a head injury just last week I feel is bess I really invest in a helmet.

And yeah I love that Satin / Matte Paint finish a lot more than gloss


Ed check out blue sky cycling...the have plenty stuff on sale..I got a good helmet fairly cheap.

User avatar
ismithx
punchin NOS
Posts: 3970
Joined: August 12th, 2010, 11:46 am
Location: riding till the wheels fall off

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby ismithx » April 22nd, 2018, 6:28 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
ismithx wrote:drop handles on a roadbike plus the higher gearing will allow you to get a more aerodynamic position and pedal faster.... you still gonna have to deal with wind


So you saying the wind will ALWAYS be a MAJOR issue no matter what bike you buy?

Except a motorbike that is.


Yep, because a bike doesn't have much material to make it unaerodynamic, but your body presents a target for wind to push against. Now if you get a motorbike it's the same problem all again with the different styles and positions, but this time it's because of air resistance and not wind. Being a motorized vehicle though, the problem won't be as pronounced there.

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7387
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 22nd, 2018, 8:13 am

Ooh thanks

BTW guys do you think Helmets work in an instance of a crash? I was doing some research and it seems as though Helmets won't do anything if you are going fast on a bike, the only thing that seems to be proven to actually work is a motorbike helmet.

Redman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5478
Joined: August 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby Redman » April 22nd, 2018, 11:17 am

ultimately nothing will work if you hit something HARD, hard enough-or ride off a cliff..or under a vehicle.
You know the type of riding you do- select based on that.

and try not to hit anything.

rspann
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5553
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Location: San Juan

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2018, 11:36 am

Fat people have more surface area so are less aerodynamic. Lose the 60 more pounds as you said. You'll go faster.

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11079
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: @fsociety

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 22nd, 2018, 7:39 pm

ED, you riding without helmet?
nah dawg, spend that couple hundred asap. A little tumble could be bad, and something is better than nothing!

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7387
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 22nd, 2018, 8:09 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:ED, you riding without helmet?
nah dawg, spend that couple hundred asap. A little tumble could be bad, and something is better than nothing!


Yeah I will order a Helmet from Amazon. I ride 6 days a week and 180 miles a month, never bought a helmet before because I never saw the need until I saw my friend died last week from riding into a truck, had no idea a bicycle was so dangerous cause the truck slowed to 7MPH and he still died from head injury.

The thing is his mouth was also destroyed, I also believe his neck. So I am wondering if those bicycle helmets are any good, but I am sure it does indeed do a lot to protect.

Motorbike helmets would be perfect but would be impossible on a bicycle on the road since you would sweat too much.

User avatar
foots
Street 2NR
Posts: 72
Joined: November 24th, 2004, 8:13 pm
Location: Chaguanas

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby foots » April 22nd, 2018, 8:22 pm

If bicycle helmets were so useful, countries where cycling is mainstream, like the Netherlands, would enforce their use.

There is lots of evidence to show that seatbelts do a great deal to save your life in a car accident. But there is very little evidence that a helmet helps very much if a car/truck hits or crushes you. It will definetly help if you fall off of your bike and manage to smack headfirst into the ground though. I wear one anyways still, so I can look lil responsible and safety conscious.

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7387
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 22nd, 2018, 8:35 pm

^ yeah studies have shown that when people were forced to wear helmets in Australia the death rate actually went up including injury rate. Apparently helmets cause people to feel safer and take greater risks and it makes car drivers drive closer to cyclists.

I think though you are right a helmet is better than no helmet in the event you fall of a bike in a minor accident and you hit your head on the ground, or maybe if you ride into some idiot on his BMX who riding on the wrong side of the road and both your heads collide from the impact.

User avatar
bgh
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 319
Joined: September 29th, 2004, 12:45 pm
Location: Arima
Contact:

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby bgh » April 23rd, 2018, 9:07 am

ismithx wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
ismithx wrote:drop handles on a roadbike plus the higher gearing will allow you to get a more aerodynamic position and pedal faster.... you still gonna have to deal with wind


So you saying the wind will ALWAYS be a MAJOR issue no matter what bike you buy?

Except a motorbike that is.


Yep, because a bike doesn't have much material to make it unaerodynamic, but your body presents a target for wind to push against. Now if you get a motorbike it's the same problem all again with the different styles and positions, but this time it's because of air resistance and not wind. Being a motorized vehicle though, the problem won't be as pronounced there.
If still using the MTB tyres, think about changing to Cityslick tyres to reduce your rolling resistance.
They are not road slick as there a series of grooves depending on your preference.

Option...
Kenda 163026 Big City Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire, Blackwall, 26 x 1.95" (PAIR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01596R7J6/re ... 3AbZEM3WDP

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9083
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby De Dragon » April 24th, 2018, 12:34 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:I'm an amateur eh. just over 1 year on the saddle.
My average speed is slower because I'm on a MTB, so it averages out to about 20km/h when I'm on hilly terrain. Bike has decent gearing for road tho, so I'm glad.

Them kitted fellas with road bike does move with pace! I barely have gear.
I ride with a long sleeve cotton tee ( beats sunburn) and a normal shorts and sneakers :)
helmet for safety, and gloves for comfort.

My longest ride to date was 70km.

If I could make it up to 100, I could try the coast to coast ride from Waterloo to Manzan, but I'll need a ride home lolol

Vexx, you seem to be from my general area judging by your ride paths, let's do a ride sometime soon nah?

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11079
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: @fsociety

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 24th, 2018, 12:53 pm

De Dragon wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:I'm an amateur eh. just over 1 year on the saddle.
My average speed is slower because I'm on a MTB, so it averages out to about 20km/h when I'm on hilly terrain. Bike has decent gearing for road tho, so I'm glad.

Them kitted fellas with road bike does move with pace! I barely have gear.
I ride with a long sleeve cotton tee ( beats sunburn) and a normal shorts and sneakers :)
helmet for safety, and gloves for comfort.

My longest ride to date was 70km.

If I could make it up to 100, I could try the coast to coast ride from Waterloo to Manzan, but I'll need a ride home lolol

Vexx, you seem to be from my general area judging by your ride paths, let's do a ride sometime soon nah?

wah side you from?
no biggie, could fall in from any point. I know the ride good enough to estimate what time I reaching any area on my route :)

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9083
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby De Dragon » April 24th, 2018, 3:05 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:I'm an amateur eh. just over 1 year on the saddle.
My average speed is slower because I'm on a MTB, so it averages out to about 20km/h when I'm on hilly terrain. Bike has decent gearing for road tho, so I'm glad.

Them kitted fellas with road bike does move with pace! I barely have gear.
I ride with a long sleeve cotton tee ( beats sunburn) and a normal shorts and sneakers :)
helmet for safety, and gloves for comfort.

My longest ride to date was 70km.

If I could make it up to 100, I could try the coast to coast ride from Waterloo to Manzan, but I'll need a ride home lolol

Vexx, you seem to be from my general area judging by your ride paths, let's do a ride sometime soon nah?

wah side you from?
no biggie, could fall in from any point. I know the ride good enough to estimate what time I reaching any area on my route :)

I could meet you somewhere close to Preysal flyover. Just give me a couple weeks to get the bike re-tuned (didn't ride for a few weeks) and the rear tyre replaced, and to get in a few rides to get back that 36 mile condition :lol:

User avatar
blacklight
Sweet on this forum
Posts: 284
Joined: July 19th, 2011, 10:24 am

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby blacklight » April 25th, 2018, 4:19 pm

De Dragon wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:I'm an amateur eh. just over 1 year on the saddle.
My average speed is slower because I'm on a MTB, so it averages out to about 20km/h when I'm on hilly terrain. Bike has decent gearing for road tho, so I'm glad.

Them kitted fellas with road bike does move with pace! I barely have gear.
I ride with a long sleeve cotton tee ( beats sunburn) and a normal shorts and sneakers :)
helmet for safety, and gloves for comfort.

My longest ride to date was 70km.

If I could make it up to 100, I could try the coast to coast ride from Waterloo to Manzan, but I'll need a ride home lolol

Vexx, you seem to be from my general area judging by your ride paths, let's do a ride sometime soon nah?

wah side you from?
no biggie, could fall in from any point. I know the ride good enough to estimate what time I reaching any area on my route :)

I could meet you somewhere close to Preysal flyover. Just give me a couple weeks to get the bike re-tuned (didn't ride for a few weeks) and the rear tyre replaced, and to get in a few rides to get back that 36 mile condition
When y'all moving PM me.... Ain't mind giving up the trails for a lil long ride

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11079
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: @fsociety

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 25th, 2018, 5:09 pm

I on the road Sunday if anyone wanna link. I usually pass Preysal high school about 7ish if anyone wants to fall in. Route takes us to Brasso junction, then down the caparo road, with options to take the Freeport route or the carlsen field route. Home is Waterloo for me eh :)

If y'all want to end back up where we met, we could pass thru the Freeport road, then take the chickland road back to Preysal. Slight climbs

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9083
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby De Dragon » April 25th, 2018, 10:52 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:I on the road Sunday if anyone wanna link. I usually pass Preysal high school about 7ish if anyone wants to fall in. Route takes us to Brasso junction, then down the caparo road, with options to take the Freeport route or the carlsen field route. Home is Waterloo for me eh :)

If y'all want to end back up where we met, we could pass thru the Freeport road, then take the chickland road back to Preysal. Slight climbs

What distance is that approximately?

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11079
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: @fsociety

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 25th, 2018, 10:53 pm

50-60k ish

User avatar
shogun
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11843
Joined: May 6th, 2008, 12:24 pm
Location: Gone Rogue.

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby shogun » April 26th, 2018, 12:35 am

Ah boy! Men eh playin'

Nice.

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9083
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby De Dragon » April 26th, 2018, 9:55 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:50-60k ish

Don't think I could make that as a first ride after such a long layoff :oops: Gimme a couple weeks like I said.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shake d livin wake d dead and 36 guests