Mountain Biking

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 9th, 2019, 9:11 am

pugboy wrote:If you use strava and have cadence and gps on your bike computer

You can see what rpm you spun etc on the road segment you did the efforts on and compare if you getting faster over it, also heart rate
It can become obsessive though and takes away from the enjoyment.
Good computers allow you to press a timer to track efforts.

This is how ppl who hire coaches online/abroad are trained.

Monk BANzai wrote:Good stuff gents..

Yea that strava data addictive. I always want to improve. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » October 9th, 2019, 9:23 am

You can see what rpm you spun etc on the road segment you did the efforts on and compare if you getting faster over it, also heart rate

Yeah i have strava but not that hardcore....still just enjoying the rides and the behaviors of both bikes...i set a rule for myself...once its less than 5km away and i dont have to brign anything back with me...i ride.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 9th, 2019, 9:44 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:

Yea that strava data addictive. I always want to improve. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just keep ridding at least 5 to 6 days and you will see improvements as the weeks go by.

Just build your aerobic engine for now and as you get fitter you can do the interval stuff for later.

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » October 10th, 2019, 4:14 am

What does doing “spin class” do for building img you long distance riding capability? Reading the comments about push vs spin, I think I may have it wrong. The spin motion sometimes feels foreign, like in a spin class I can’t seem to keep up with that spinning motion. Should I try more spin classes to build this type of momentum?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 10th, 2019, 7:37 am

PapaC wrote:What does doing “spin class” do for building img you long distance riding capability? Reading the comments about push vs spin, I think I may have it wrong. The spin motion sometimes feels foreign, like in a spin class I can’t seem to keep up with that spinning motion. Should I try more spin classes to build this type of momentum?

There's a lot of science to this and is a long topic.

Spin Classes helps only to a certain extent, it helps to build your cardiovascular system. In cycling you need to get out and ride its the only way you can build muscular endurance. Riding outdoors faces your legs and cardiovascular system with the resistances of the road. Spinning indoors vs spinning outdoors is not the same. Bang for buck you need to ride outdoors its the best way to improve.

Spinning on a Bike means going around 88 to 100 rpm on the road. In a spin class it is higher. To spin also means you need to have the fast twich muscle fibers for fast activation. Don't worry about spinning in a class.

Everyone has a different cadence to spin and their body has a limit as it all depends on what you where born with. Pushing on a bike outdoors means you use a lot of fuel cause the work is hard unless you are a Pro cyclist. You will quickly deplete your glycogen stores that's why with spin training on the road you use your cardiovascular system which will use your fat fuel.

Endurance training is just get out and ride at conversational pace , don't ride any harder that that. It is based on time and not miles . You start by doing 1 hour a day until you can ride around 2hr or depending on your course distance. Always try to aim to 1 and half times your distance in training , eg if course is 20 miles you train to cover 30 to 40 miles.

You may ride at 16mph and hold a conversational but a pro could ride at 24mph and hold a conversation, if you did that you will be out of breath and would certainly not be able to keep that pace for long.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » October 10th, 2019, 7:51 am

zoom rader wrote:
PapaC wrote:What does doing “spin class” do for building img you long distance riding capability? Reading the comments about push vs spin, I think I may have it wrong. The spin motion sometimes feels foreign, like in a spin class I can’t seem to keep up with that spinning motion. Should I try more spin classes to build this type of momentum?

Spin Classes helps only to a certain extent, it helps to build your cardiovascular system. In cycling you need to get out and ride its the only way you can build muscular endurance. Riding outdoors faces your legs and cardiovascular system with the resistances of the road. Spinning indoors vs spinning outdoors is not the same. Bang for buck you need to ride outdoors its the best way to improve.

Spinning on a Bike means going around 88 to 100 rpm on the road. In a spin class it is higher. To spin also means you need to have the fast twich muscle fibers for fast activation. Don't worry about spinning in a class.

Everyone has a different cadence to spin and their body has a limit as it all depends on what you where born with. Pushing on a bike outdoors means you use a lot of fuel cause the work is hard unless you are a Pro cyclist. You will quickly deplete your glycogen stores that's why with spin training on the road you use your cardiovascular system which will use your fat fuel.

Endurance training is just get out and ride at conversational pace , don't ride any harder that that. It is based on time and not miles . You start by doing 1 hour a day until you can ride around 2hr or depending on your course distance. Always try to aim to 1 and half times your distance in training , eg if course is 20 miles you train to cover 30 to 40 miles.

You may ride at 16mph and hold a conversational but a pro could ride at 24mph and hold a conversation, if you did that you will be out of breath and would certainly not be able to keep that pace for long.
So zoom how hard is it to pass someone on a trail? I find most trails in chag are so narrow that passing someone in a race seems almost impossible

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 10th, 2019, 8:01 am

the young new zealand chap Joel Yates who won the Beacon cycling on ave last night has his strava data public
the break group lapped the field

Man average 298watts for 55minutes over 35 laps
each lap taking about 1:35
and in each lap on the hard section would go at 400w for 40-50seconds

He is at a very high level, he came 4th in New Zealand national road race this year against good competition
there are new zealanders who race at the highest world pro level, tdf etc.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2776887020/overview

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 10th, 2019, 8:05 am

metalgear2095 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

So zoom how hard is it to pass someone on a trail? I find most trails in chag are so narrow that passing someone in a race seems almost impossible

It all depends on your positioning skills in the race and most important your ability to quickly pass.

You must have a fast kick to overtake a guy which means you need to do interval drills, eg doing hard to sprint efforts of about 5 to 10secs. Do a couple of that in training and get use to the effort and pain. Best to overtake guys on the uphill part of the course. In cycling you have bully your way to overtake a guy, you have to have the power to pass a guy

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 10th, 2019, 8:39 am

pugboy wrote:the young new zealand chap Joel Yates who won the Beacon cycling on ave last night has his strava data public
the break group lapped the field

Man average 298watts for 55minutes over 35 laps
each lap taking about 1:35
and in each lap on the hard section would go at 400w for 40-50seconds

He is at a very high level, he came 4th in New Zealand national road race this year against good competition
there are new zealanders who race at the highest world pro level, tdf etc.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2776887020/overview

His Normal power is around 300watts which means hes just an avg Cat 2 cyclist at international level
His 400 watt at 1min is still avg, at pro level those guy can do 550 plus . Hes a normal racing cyclist but seems hes has better bike skills.

Hes not pro material as yet , he needs to clock over 350watts at threshold. Pro Tour guys clock 400 plus watts

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 10th, 2019, 12:01 pm

You saw the vids of the crashes ?
One looked intentional

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 10th, 2019, 12:30 pm

pugboy wrote:You saw the vids of the crashes ?
One looked intentional
Nah, have not been to local racing for a while. I am only going from his power profile.

Kinda dropped out from the local scene cause it's the same BS. Local road guys are not improving. These guys are just pretty and full of air.

All these fvckers have the best equipment and some use power meters but they don't know what to do or how to use it.

I watched the worlds under 23 championships and the locsl guy they sent would not have even placed in the Caribbean championships. These guys are wasting time and money.

Even the in women's worlds race only Campbell was on world level as she is more of a pro rider now. The other girl should stick to Carribean championships.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 10th, 2019, 12:53 pm

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » October 10th, 2019, 1:39 pm

zoom rader wrote:
One looked intentional
Nah, have not been to local racing for a while. I am only going from his power profile.

Kinda dropped out from the local scene cause it's the same BS. Local road guys are not improving. These guys are just pretty and full of air.

All these fvckers have the best equipment and some use power meters but they don't know what to do or how to use it.

I watched the worlds under 23 championships and the locsl guy they sent would not have even placed in the Caribbean championships. These guys are wasting time and money.

Even the in women's worlds race only Campbell was on world level as she is more of a pro rider now. The other girl should stick to Carribean championships.
Would you say it was somewhat of a waste of time and money sending old riders to that caribbean mountain bike thing as well?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 10th, 2019, 2:04 pm

metalgear2095 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:
One looked intentional

Would you say it was somewhat of a waste of time and money sending old riders to that caribbean mountain bike thing as well?
If they are up to regional level then yes send them.

Our regional level will be alot different to world championships.

You start by doing championships to your level and then move on to the higher levels. Like below

Win National Champs then
Win Carribeam Champs then
Win Pan Am Champs then
World Champ , commonwealth, Olympics.

A 40 year old won Tour de France before.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

pugboy wrote:https://m.facebook.com/chris.govia.3?tsid=0.5427464792611228&source=result
Damm

First the sonic rider has his bike set wrong, his seat is too low he can't seen to have full control of his bike. The bike is riding him. When you pedal with your knees out your saddle Is too low.

Second point, the rider that fell had no right to be in the back. You have to stay up front to advoid crashes and missing a break away.

I think he should be given a 6 mnt bann

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 10th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I believe he represented us recently at track

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 10th, 2019, 11:22 pm

pugboy wrote:I believe he represented us recently at track
If I think who he is then he's an inexperienced junior rider.

His road coach or who ever he is, is a waste of time to have him riding with his knees out.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 11th, 2019, 8:00 am

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/10/11/breakaway-cry-foul/

zoom rader wrote:

His road coach or who ever he is, is a waste of time to have him riding with his knees out.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 11th, 2019, 8:35 am

Saw the 2 vids, looked a bit intentional.
it's easy to misinterpret a millisecond tho

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 11th, 2019, 8:54 am

I'm making decent progress in terms of time and I'm still learning as I go along - so I setup my bike on my own and still occasionally tweak dropbar angles, seat position and seat height. Think I need to raise it another 10-15mm.

I can prob go faster with a full road bike instead of this gravel bike with thicc 32c tyres. I can probably be more efficient and crank up power and pace if I use clipless pedals, but I'm more comfortable (mentally) with platform pedals.

It's only about 10 months since I've transitioned from a flatbar MTB to a gravel bike and I'm seeing plenty improvements. Even on the recent coast to coast, I took all the hills on my 50T chainring - I powered through like a MF. Last year on my MTB, I recall having to drop to my 22T chainring for the manzan climbs. For some people this is small thing, but for a pleb like me I felt like a bite up shilling. It shows progress

This is my typical midweek ride after work. A small 15k circuit down my side that I hit 2 laps. Mostly flat, but has some heavy headwinds that make me work hard.

I try to get at least one midweek ride and a midweek run to mix things up
Ride-stats.png

My Sunday rides are a bit longer. This is where I go cross country and explore new routes of varying terrain/climbs then try to improve times on these routes. I usually ride solo, so I try to stick to roads where I can be rescued in case of emergency.

Ride-stats-2.png

Side note, for people that ride solo - check out the Glympse app. It allows you to broadcast a live GPS location where your people can track you.

The power figures are strava's guesstimates, and I don't know anything about it. I don't use a meter or anything, because I'm not a pro cyclist. LOL

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

pugboy wrote:https://newsday.co.tt/2019/10/11/breakaway-cry-foul/

zoom rader wrote:

I was a council member of TTCF and just like UCI alot of politics will play off in this.

All that will happen he may receive a bann, but compensation is no go. When you sign to race you sign for anything that will happen in your race. You enter a race on your own accord. As a licenced cyclist you are covered by TTCF insurance.

The promoter has to take part blame for allowing a juinor to race among the Elites . The TTCF suppose to enforce UCI rules on allowing juniors to race in those group.

In tour de France Mark Renshaw was booted out of the race for head butting Julian Dean in a final sprint

Sprinters normally have a killer mentally and they push for an all out win at what ever cost. The juinor seems to have the same mentally. The killer mentally is what makes a good sprinter. British cycling did alot of research on this and this was their findings.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 11th, 2019, 9:12 am

The trend recently has been to just run two races
Elite 1 for the big boys
And elite 3 for anybody else

to save time and organization

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 11th, 2019, 9:16 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:I'm making decent progress in terms of time and I'm still learning as I go along - so I setup my bike on my own and still occasionally tweak dropbar angles, seat position and seat height. Think I need to raise it another 10-15mm.

I can prob go faster with a full road bike instead of this gravel bike with thicc 32c tyres. I can probably be more efficient and crank up power and pace if I use clipless pedals, but I'm more comfortable (mentally) with platform pedals.

It's only about 10 months since I've transitioned from a flatbar MTB to a gravel bike and I'm seeing plenty improvements. Even on the recent coast to coast, I took all the hills on my 50T chainring - I powered through like a MF. Last year on my MTB, I recall having to drop to my 22T chainring for the manzan climbs. For some people this is small thing, but for a pleb like me I felt like a bite up shilling. It shows progress

This is my typical midweek ride after work. A small 15k circuit down my side that I hit 2 laps. Mostly flat, but has some heavy headwinds that make me work hard.

I try to get at least one midweek ride and a midweek run to mix things up
Ride-stats.png

My Sunday rides are a bit longer. This is where I go cross country and explore new routes of varying terrain/climbs then try to improve times on these routes. I usually ride solo, so I try to stick to roads where I can be rescued in case of emergency.

Ride-stats-2.png

Side note, for people that ride solo - check out the Glympse app. It allows you to broadcast a live GPS location where your people can track you.

The power figures are strava's guesstimates, and I don't know anything about it. I don't use a meter or anything, because I'm not a pro cyclist. LOL

Hey bro, your wattages are looking pretty good for newbie at cycling. You probably hitting a threshold around 220 to 230 watts. If you like this kind of cycling then you on track, if you want to race then you gonna need to train to bring your wattage up to around 280W for local racing.

Just keep riding and over time your wattage will increase as you get fitter. Add some tempo (semi ridding hard) and sprints efforts on your ride and you should see those values increase. Remember after hard ridding you need to recover for adaptation to take place.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 11th, 2019, 9:23 am

pugboy wrote:The trend recently has been to just run two races
Elite 1 for the big boys
And elite 3 for anybody else

to save time and organization

That is not a recent trend it has being happening since I started to race donkeys, promoters are just milking it.

Once money involved they change the rules, its part reason why I dropped out of local cycling .
Promoters are making a killing on staging Cycling events at the expenses of cyclist.

Tour of Tobago is another rotten race

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 11th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Folks, this ride is coming up.
North coast, Arima to Las Cuevas.

https://centralspokescycleclub.redpodiu ... lenge-ride

I'm thinking about trying it. It's a bucket list ride for me and this is prob the best group to do it with. Great guys and support vehicles in tow. I think it's limited to 40 ppl max.

Might register this week.

Hope a couple of y'all fall in.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 12th, 2019, 6:48 am

Sunday 10th October 2019.
The one day I would be able to complete the ride and live.
:D

The top says Nov 11
Down below says Oct 11

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 12th, 2019, 10:31 am

Larry and them are a good group of guys
not on ego trip like most other cycling groups.

on those long climbs you need to know what intensity you can go at for 20-30mins at a time and not crack but be fairly comfortable and at what gearing/rpm you are comfortable climbing at, not grinding a hard gear

many times you will see guys go very hard early and after running at their max pop after 3-4 mins and you end up passing them.

VexXx Dogg wrote:Folks, this ride is coming up.
North coast, Arima to Las Cuevas.

https://centralspokescycleclub.redpodiu ... lenge-ride

I'm thinking about trying it. It's a bucket list ride for me and this is prob the best group to do it with. Great guys and support vehicles in tow. I think it's limited to 40 ppl max.

Might register this week.

Hope a couple of y'all fall in.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 12th, 2019, 11:03 am

Redman wrote:Sunday 10th October 2019.
The one day I would be able to complete the ride and live.
:D

The top says Nov 11
Down below says Oct 11
Prob a typo I'll let them know. It's Nov10 for sure. Larry and co are some realllll good guys for real

blacklight
Sweet on this forum

Postby blacklight » October 15th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Hey peeps I'm selling my 19.5 (large) TREK X CALIBER 9 (2018) for $8000 neg. Gene currently have this for $13,000. I have another bike and this is being under used.

https://youtu.be/GuzKtX-C7gs

https://www.thebikelane.com/product/tre ... 8229-1.htm

I can be contacted at 703-8484
20180429_071251.jpeg
20190120_073956.jpeg
20190811_064938.jpeg

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 19th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Going to head up Gran Couva in the morn - some hill conditioning for the north coast challenge ride.

Long time i haven't hit up that side, but I gotta clock some vertical numbers before next month.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”