TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Hikers Missing?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » July 14th, 2008, 2:35 pm

didnt the hike leader if its a professional body look at a current weather satellite ?the amount of simple technology there is available.
isnt this a uwi thing?.... realy sad...i blame the hikers gruop leader....should be charged for manslaughter...

Advertisement
NST
Riding on 17's

Postby NST » July 14th, 2008, 2:35 pm

larafan, pioneer do you guys always have to insert some jackass smart aleck post in to everything?..here we have 2 people with bright futures ahead of them dead and all you can talk about is people being stupid for going on a hike in bad weather...is not necessarily stupidity but inexperience, don't confuse the two. Agreed the organisers and the gude should be held accountable..but the dead can't defend themselves...

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » July 14th, 2008, 2:42 pm

some ppl try to appear smart, better than everyone else but in reality u analyz em as jackasses ... and in many posts they sift out themselves....

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » July 14th, 2008, 2:51 pm

i went to a couple of hikes in bad weather, it was a challenge but was still fun and safe, because the hike leaders were prepared and they had the good sense to advise ppl that were unsure to go back home
it was not this group though.

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » July 14th, 2008, 2:53 pm

having said that though it was quite possibly unavoidable, so if that is the case the group should take this as a lesson learned and focus on the root cause of the incident and leave the blame game out of it.

A33_VQ35
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby A33_VQ35 » July 14th, 2008, 3:07 pm

Ppl should really keep negative comments to themselves. If u have nothing good to say DON'T!!!

I was listening to paul and nickie this morning and a guy called into the program who is a guide. He said that the people had reached their destination and were swimming and whatever, when the weather started to go south, but it was a big group.

When they tried to gather everyone ready to leave there were some who insisted on "staying a lil longer" and this kept them back so by the time they were ready to leave the river they had to cross had already risen because according to him the river rises fast but also recedes jus as fast.

so on the way back they experienced difficulites which resulted in the 2 ppl gettin swept away. also the others who didn't make it across had to wit 4 the river to recede which resulted in the story of them "missing"

W2J
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby W2J » July 14th, 2008, 7:14 pm

riderz wrote:Folks the news article is incorrect.

I was there as part of the S&R. Up to 6pm some had not come out but the emerged at 8pm or sometime there after.

We took a nex hr getting the manifest corrected and accounting for everybody by name. Two were missing and searches are continuing as I am typing this now.

We are still hopeful.

As for the safety harnesses etc, both were wearing a harness, one had on a life jacket. The one with the jacket fell in and pulled the other one as they were tied together.

People stop jumping to conclusions and use that energy to pray for the missing and their families.

did any of the helicopters with the bright lights help out with the search?

the khan
Ricer

Postby the khan » July 14th, 2008, 8:18 pm

this is a pic of the river in the dry season and it's nech deep and im about 5feet 9 inches. a beautiful river but it can get very dangerous wit those rocks in the rainy season. sorry to hear about that :(

W2J
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby W2J » July 14th, 2008, 8:50 pm

the khan wrote:Image

this is a pic of the river in the dry season and it's nech deep and im about 5feet 9 inches. a beautiful river but it can get very dangerous wit those rocks in the rainy season. sorry to hear about that :(

looks like macawel territory

G-T
3NE 2NR for life

Postby G-T » July 14th, 2008, 8:59 pm

these Hikers did not have a guide to lead them to alternative routes?
that is so depressing ,I hope they find the few survivors.. :|

soundboy101
Street 2NR

Postby soundboy101 » July 14th, 2008, 10:29 pm

@ pioneer and larafan, all those stupid comments you all made, just goes to show the state of our society, with little or no information all yuh saying, they deserve what they get, they stupid, man all yuh have to be the most senseless, incensitive, cold hearted people around, The couple was trying to get to higher ground, they wasnt crossing the river, and they had their safety gear on, but one slipped and fell in, up to news time the girl is still missing they only found the body of the boy, i hope and pray they find her safely, if not, i hope and pray her family makes it through this ordeal easily

soundboy101
Street 2NR

Postby soundboy101 » July 14th, 2008, 10:33 pm

'haha that's massive damage

crossing a swollen river

how stupid can you get'

' in this case the stupid are killed'

W2J
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby W2J » July 14th, 2008, 10:38 pm

soundboy101 wrote:@ pioneer and larafan, all those stupid comments you all made, just goes to show the state of our society, with little or no information all yuh saying, they deserve what they get, they stupid, man all yuh have to be the most senseless, incensitive, cold hearted people around, The couple was trying to get to higher ground, they wasnt crossing the river, and they had their safety gear on, but one slipped and fell in, up to news time the girl is still missing they only found the body of the boy, i hope and pray they find her safely, if not, i hope and pray her family makes it through this ordeal easily

actually the new cast that I saw said that they went for higher ground and one slipped according to eye witnesses and the other jumped in trying to help.

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » July 14th, 2008, 10:44 pm

I DOH GET LOST IN THE BUSH , i does get lost in residential areas

rolandk

Postby rolandk » July 15th, 2008, 12:49 am

NST wrote:larafan, pioneer do you guys always have to insert some jackass smart aleck post in to everything?..here we have 2 people with bright futures ahead of them dead and all you can talk about is people being stupid for going on a hike in bad weather...is not necessarily stupidity but inexperience, don't confuse the two. Agreed the organisers and the gude should be held accountable..but the dead can't defend themselves...

Hmmmm....................you sound inexperienced my friend. If the hikers are inexperienced, then they should at least know that the leaders of the hike have the experience.

If the leaders lie about their experience, or think they are more experienced than they really are, then they are stupid.

either way, stupidity prevailed in this scenario!!!

if you go play football on d highway, who will have sympathy for you when you get bounce down, will people say that you are inexperienced?

if you go take walk though d beetham at midnight, see who will have sympathy for you when you get rob.

I say - what a bunch of jackasses.

IMO all ah dem shouda ded for being so fcukin stupid.

with d kind of rain we've been seeng over the past few weeks...................!!!

and besides, who d hell does hike in d rainy season?

the organiseres of this hike should be jailed for their stupidity.

Invisible
Sweet on this forum

Postby Invisible » July 15th, 2008, 12:49 am

However it happened, it happened.

May the deceased RIP. My condolences are with the respective families and I do hope they can cope with their loss.

A lesson should be learned from this experience especially for future hikers.
Last edited by Invisible on July 15th, 2008, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

rolandk

Postby rolandk » July 15th, 2008, 1:04 am

pioneer wrote:Apparently most hikes are during the rainy season for some reason...i rememeber years ago we went salybia and we were up to your knees in mud along de trail :roll:

:?

what a ting.

being an experienced hunter, I can say that most trails that I know of are either close to, or are small streams and waterways and can be walked up in the dry season, when they are dry........not when it rains.

you stay away from them when it rains. You stay away from waterways when it is raining upstream. Cuz I have seen many rivers "come down" when the area is dry............up to 12 feet, with just a few seconds warning. (you actually hear it.....very frightening if you don;t know what it is)

You generally stay away from steep slopes because of a risk of falling trees in the rainy season. (trees don't just fall on the roads to maracas)

you live and learn!!...........hikers abide by a different logic I guess

honda4life

Postby honda4life » July 15th, 2008, 1:12 am

R.I.P. markus and aiyana

condolence to KiD and Kaiger...for the lossof your schoolmate
sorry to hear that men...

rolandk

Postby rolandk » July 15th, 2008, 1:14 am

pioneer wrote:yeah i heard it once...then u see logs n debris being washed away...scary as hell :|

they coulda wait and call for help...i sure dey had supplies to make it tru the nite

and not like our forests have bears and tigers that will kill u :|

ok buts snakes n spiders...aggghhh :shock:

it have more scary tings out there..............like babooman......but seriously,

d amount of trap guns and boobie traps I does see in d forest..........I surprise hikers ent et kill by dem as yet.

I bounce up at least 10 on a busy trail in d northern range a few months ago.

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » July 15th, 2008, 7:35 am

BOTH WERE FIRST TIME HIKERS
NUFF SAID
that hike is by no means a lengthy one, the guide should have had them out of the bush as soon as possible, not procrastinating. You have to move to suite the weather, that talk bout ppl insisting to stay longer is rubbish, the hike leader should have done better

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » July 15th, 2008, 7:40 am

it have more scary tings out there..............like babooman......but seriously,

d amount of trap guns and boobie traps I does see in d forest..........I surprise hikers ent et kill by dem as yet.

I bounce up at least 10 on a busy trail in d northern range a few months ago.[/quote]

fur real ehh, i see level trap gun on de north coast in de back ah las cuevas. Never come off the trails up there unless you know the area...

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » July 15th, 2008, 10:29 am

i hearing new reports that the young lady's body was found in wallerfield, cannot confirm though.

It is really tragic for the families directly affected but really, why go hiking in this weather? Experienced group or not, why risk it?

JM
3NE 2NR for life

Postby JM » July 15th, 2008, 10:36 am

But ent on the like the first page of this thread someone said both were found?!
how come news still saying the girl missing..
and now allyuh saying dey find she again...dead..again...?
What really going on..?

Yes these things coulda been avoided..but ppl dont realize how easy it is to lose a life..
From reckless/inconsiderate/frustrated/rushing to get home drivers...
to silly antics..

noshownogo
punchin NOS

Postby noshownogo » July 15th, 2008, 11:02 am

de question is, why the hell you hiking in this weather :!: This hike took place Sunday right? As far as I am aware, it was raining throughout the country since Saturday morning. What will possess you to get out of bed to go hiking in weather like that?

The guide/s really has some explaining to do, such an unfortunate situation.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pugboy » July 15th, 2008, 12:17 pm

for sure them hiking groups gonna have indemnity forms to sign before you start

kg494EJ-1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kg494EJ-1 » July 16th, 2008, 12:44 am

R.I.P boy Marcus, was a real quiet and cool fella knew him for 6years from lessons in SACC, horrific way to go, and to believe he didnt want to go on the hike,Rest In Peace partner. R.I.P Aniya

Sumana.00
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Sumana.00 » July 16th, 2008, 7:37 am

Email Sent to Trinidad Alumni Chapter of UoL

Good morning to all Alumni members. As you know; a hike was scheduled to Guanapo Waterfalls yesterday morning - Sunday 13th July. A total of 78 people (not including the hike leaders) ventured into the forest.

The hike started off well - beautiful sunny weather which was perfect for hiking. Upon arrival at the waterfall itself (some 4 hours later); sudden heavy rainfall caused flash flooding in the area. This confusion resulted in the group being split into two smaller groups. One group ended up with all of the hike leaders while the other group was forced to fend for themselves.

The group without hike leaders were stranded for approximately 2 hours before hike leaders located us at around 6.15pm. When we were found, we proceeded to hike back to the starting point despite being surrounded by total darkness. Search and rescue eventually found us at approximately 9.00pm and they assisted us out of the forest. A head count was done.

Two people were swept away in the waters. This morning, reports confirm that the body of the young man was recovered. They are still trying to locate the body of the young lady. Please note that these two persons were not members of the Trinidad Chapter. All of our members are alive and well.

Thank GOD that our lives were spared and that we got out in one piece. It is very unfortunate that such a fantastic hike was marred by this tragedy.

I will keep you all posted as I get information.

Have a great day and GOD Bless!

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » July 16th, 2008, 8:02 am

HIGH RISK HIKING
Second body recovered
Joel Julien jjulien@trinidadexpress.com

Wednesday, July 16th 2008

grim find: Homicide detectives look at the body of Aiyanna Baksh, which was found submerged head first in some debris in a river at Lalla Trace Wallerfield, yesterday. Baksh, and her boyfriend Markus Smith were swept away by gushing water during a hike to the Heights of Guanapo on Sunday. -Photo: ABRAHAM DIAZ

SOME ten miles from where raging river water swept away Aiyanna Baksh, her body was discovered yesterday morning, bringing to an end a two-day search and washing away all hope for her safe return.

On Sunday, Baksh, 21, and her 22-year-old boyfriend, Markus Smith, were carried away by a swollen river, while on a hike to a waterfall in the Heights of Guanapo, off Arima.

The couple, who were both students of the University of the West Indies (UWI), were on a hike organised by Hike Seekers, and not the UWI Hiking Society, as previously reported.

Just after midnight that night, Smith's body, which was naked except for a sneaker on his right foot, was discovered stuck under a concrete bridge in the densely forested area.

And just after 6 a.m. yesterday, Pooran Mahabir Ram, a farmer attempting to clear a waterway used to irrigate a water cress field, discovered the second half of "the quiet couple".

Speaking with the Express yesterday, Ram explained that just after the break of dawn, he went to clear the man-made waterway of any debris that may have been stuck from the weekend's heavy showers.

And it was during this routine check, Ram said, he "saw two feet sticking out from some slush that had been deposited". He immediately believed it was "the girl from the news", Ram said.

Baksh's body was found some 50 metres away from the area known as "the double-bridge" on the Eastern Main Road just after the road used to get to the Heights of Guanapo.

Baksh's body was discovered behind the water cress plantation, which is located on Lalla Trace. She was dressed in red track-pants and a multi-coloured bathing suit top and a pair of sneakers.

And the heavy rains which triggered Sunday's double-tragedy, yesterday also threatened to stall the removal of Baksh's body from a watery grave, as the water level rapidly increased.

And while Baksh was being unearthed, her parents, Steve and Carol, who were oblivious to the discovery, continued their search in the forest and along the river bank for their firstborn. However, the search ended abruptly after news of the discovery spread. Baksh's uncle, Larry Mooteeram, identified the body.

In a telephone interview yesterday, Mooteram admitted although "the ideal thing was to find her alive", the family was grateful for the closure and "now have the ability to move ahead".

And with the circumstances surrounding the discoveries, the questions as to the responsibility for the duo's death began.

A member of one of the country's protective services who was on Sunday's fatal hike explained yesterday that the hike master Laurence "Snake" Pierre, from Hike Seekers, who led the hikers, "acted very responsibly".

Requesting anonymity, he said many of the people on the hike failed to follow instructions from either Pierre, the other hike instructors or himself.

When contacted yesterday, Pierre explained that while the group were at the waterfall, there was no rain at the time, but after hearing thunder, he signalled to the hikers that it was time to leave the area. He said many of the hikers refused this order to leave because they were in the water for only half an hour.

Pierre said he believes that delay cost the hiking party to lose two valuable lives and valuable time in trying escape the forest.

However, in a statement to the Express yesterday, former meteorologist Robin Maharaj questioned why a mountain hike was planned during July, one of the country's rainiest months for the year, in the first place.

And in the midst of the clouds hanging over responsibility for the deaths, Baksh's family were faced with another problem, as they were unable to complete her autopsy because of a mix-up with the location of the body.

The family were back and forth between the morgue at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope and the Forensic Science Centre in Federation Park, Port of Spain.

The autopsy to determine the cause of Baksh's death is expected to be performed at Forensic Science Centre today.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl ... =161352872

squares
Street 2NR

Postby squares » July 16th, 2008, 9:47 am

yea boy marcus RIP. was a real kool fella

Maserati
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Maserati » July 16th, 2008, 11:32 am

pioneer wrote:
However, in a statement to the Express yesterday, former meteorologist Robin Maharaj questioned why a mountain hike was planned during July, one of the country's rainiest months for the year, in the first place.

This is my question too?

And...how could people jus be "swept" away by a river?

They didn't see it and walked into it?

they probably underestimated how fast the current was when they were crossing it

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”