Forums

Lets talk CNG

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Lets talk CNG

Postby hustla_ambition101 » September 9th, 2013, 10:39 am

Makes no sense when the prices of conversion keep climbing. I was searching for cng roros, didn't really find any.

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz
Location: ......takin it easy on the road we call "Life".....

Postby wagon r » September 9th, 2013, 11:54 am

...I have seen a number of Sporteros imported CNG on the road. See them reg. at the Brentwood gas station refuleing.

As a pickup owner, adapting CNG wouldn't bother me, it's the tank. I like to use my tray and a tank, takes up a lot of useable space....and mounting that undercarriage...is a no no.

I agree that the gov't should convert most if not all of their fleet to CNG as well as PTSC and lead by example....but seeing that this plan is being looked at for years and still to bear and fruit....the public at large will find it hard to switch.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » September 9th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I wonder if bavarian, sterling or lifestyle (dem porch and dem nah) bringing in dem fancy car and dem with CNG. Dem ting hah big trunk.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 9th, 2013, 2:30 pm

The government going to make a swap over to cng. Starting soon. I heard it's almost 15 new gas stations. And inspectors and installers going to be trained. Trying to get a work in the installation process

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » September 9th, 2013, 2:39 pm

installation > inspection?

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » September 9th, 2013, 4:57 pm

massy has been testing cng on some of the new model stuff. problems like hell. extensive tuning needed for some and costs.

btw. is it illegal to make ur own E85 locally? been doing alot of reading and i think i want to give it a try. its a win win. cng is a total waste imho.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » September 9th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Death-Row wrote:. . . btw. is it illegal to make ur own E85 locally? been doing alot of reading and i think i want to give it a try. its a win win. cng is a total waste imho.

I'm almost sure that you would need to get a license from the Ministry of Energy for this undertaking.

What is your source for ethanol?

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » September 9th, 2013, 5:20 pm

sugarcane or old fruit. has the all in one machine for 10k usd to do the process or can go home made setup. gotta be on point to get engine grade ethanol. now this is on a personal level. not a business. my car uses a sr20det motor. would have been interesting to get a e85 tune.

govt should also have alot more bicycle friendly paths. i would love to use a bike for business in too far to walk but short drive scenarios.

sorry for straying, yea, cng sucks. ill just drive less

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » November 26th, 2013, 10:24 am

C
hasing CNG a waste of energy Guardian Today
Published:
Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Text Size:

Now that it has arisen in Parliament once again, now is a good time to reinforce a point about green cars. CNG has failed to catch on in developed countries because the relatively scant savings cannot justify the cost of adoption. It requires special filling stations, extra time at the pump and half your trunk space. Yet still, the mileage promised is significantly less than your average hybrid electric vehicle. This technology failed to catch on in T&T in the past. Why are we at it again?

For this reason, hybrids have proliferated in the automotive world (even Porsche has one!). Take, for example, the first Toyota Prius hybrid. It was introduced in Japan 15 years ago (fuel economy: 42 mpg)! Today the Prius sells at a rate of three million every year worldwide and some versions average 95 mpg. Infrastructure needed: petrol stations.

Fast on the heels of hybrids are electric vehicles. These are now mainstream and come with rave reviews and ranges of 100 miles (or up to 300 miles in some cases). These would be a no-brainer for a country that is only about 50 miles in length at most. Even clean diesels, which have been an economical and fuel-efficient European staple for decades, are surging forward (the Honda Civic diesel gets 60 mpg while the CNG version gets about 31 mpg). Infrastructure needed: electric outlets and diesel pumps.

One of the advantages of being a developing country is that we can observe what does or does not work in developed countries and at least then have a base to work from, saving us a lot of time, money and mistakes. Fifteen years after the first hybrids have proven themselves, we’re still fiddling here in T&T. All this to say that CNG is just not a basket into which we should be putting our eggs.

Evron Legall
Tunapuna

This person is right thinking as we have said before clean diesel , hybrid and electric are much better options.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » November 26th, 2013, 10:44 am

Death-Row wrote:massy has been testing cng on some of the new model stuff. problems like hell. extensive tuning needed for some and costs.

btw. is it illegal to make ur own E85 locally? been doing alot of reading and i think i want to give it a try. its a win win. cng is a total waste imho.

I wanna do this too

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » November 26th, 2013, 8:37 pm

saw a black pcz lancer cng. Did not know there was such an option locally..

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » December 3rd, 2013, 11:23 am

The CNG Sporteros and Lancers are mostly NGC company vehicles. They were mandated to use only CNG for their new fleet. As far as I know there are no private owners. Although these cars will end up on the market after the 2-3 year fleet replacement( staff has the option of buying their company cars at minimal cost)

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » December 3rd, 2013, 12:45 pm

j.o.e wrote:. . . As far as I know there are no private owners. . .

I saw a TCX registration series CNG powered Triton. I don't know which dealer brought that in.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » December 3rd, 2013, 1:15 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

I saw a TCX registration series CNG powered Triton. I don't know which dealer brought that in.

It's about a year now NGC made the switch. Started in the TCX Sportero /triton

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » December 3rd, 2013, 2:55 pm

The NGC initiative shouldnt be used as an example relevant to private individuals who wish to go CNG.
The fact in the NGC case is that tenders were done and suppliers retro-fitted the vehicles with CNG equipment produced by manufacturers who are independent of the vehicle brand.
The supply arrangements also included service abilgations and the provision of backup units.
Actually the unit cost per vehicle under these arrangements would be outside the reach of the average citizen.
My infor. from Toyota Corp. is that no dedicated CNG units are available,but I suppose Toyota may consider this option if a Govt or large enough Corp. wishes to order under contract a few thousand.This infor I believe applies to all Motor vehicle Manufacturers.
Unfortunately, with the kind of investment most brands are making into Hybrid Tech its unlikely that they are going to promote CNG which would compete and put their investment at risk.
Hybrid tech. is significantly about reducing dependence on all forms of carbon based fuels globally (since most countries dont have oil or gas).

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » February 26th, 2014, 6:35 am

Chinese CNG for TT vehicles
Stories by Sasha Harrinanan in Beijing, China Wednesday, February 26 2014

THIS country’s multi-million dollar fuel subsidy could become a thing of the past, without motorists ever having to pay full price at the pump for gasoline or diesel. How? By TT partnering with China’s ENN Group of Companies to make compressed natural gas (CNG) readily available, at a very low price, at fuelling stations across the country.

This was proffered by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar as she delivered the feature address yesterday at the China-TT Business and Investment Forum in Beijing, China.

More than 140 Chinese companies sent representatives to the event, which was hosted by InvesTT in collaboration with the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT).

“An agreement was signed on Sunday between our National Gas Company and ENN for construction of CNG filling stations in TT. This agreement will have a major and positive impact on my country’s energy and transport industries by making CNG a more viable fuel option for our motoring public.

“This is very important to us, because my Government spends $4 billion; which I’m told is equivalent to your currency, the Yuan (¥), $4 billion per year in subsidising fuel. If we can (remove) that subsidy, not by giving people petrol at a higher price but by instead using cheaper-to-produce CNG, then I can save $4 billion which I can then put into hospitals, schools and roads,” Persad-Bissessar told the forum.

Noting that in China, the term “match-making” refers to forging of business relationships and agreements, Persad-Bissessar encouraged the Chinese and TT business delegations to use their “Match-making Meeting” yesterday afternoon to form partnerships in the energy sector and further.

Partnerships were also sought by the PM to increase the export of asphalt and bitumen, two items that are in high demand internationally.

“We have the asphalt in the ground but we do not seem to have enough capacity to extract it fast enough to meet demand. Again, we can partner to modernise the asphalt plant down in La Brea because many of the countries I travel to have asked to buy our asphalt yet we cannot sell. Not because we don’t have but because we are not taking it out of the ground fast enough,” Persad-Bissessar said.

The Chinese delegates listened intently as Persad-Bissessar outlined a similar investment opportunity regarding the production and sale of bitumen by State-owned energy company, Petrotrin.

“Many countries also want to buy bitumen from us but Petrotrin can’t make enough. It’s not because we do not have the resources. I think, respectfully, that the capacity to monetise needs improvement.”

Tourism was a third area in which the PM expressed a strong desire to see a Sino-TT partnership. Having previously spoken about wanting to partner with Chinese businesses to upgrade the Magdalena Grand Hotel in Tobago and build a new hotel along Trinidad’s north-west coast, Persad-Bissessar yesterday revealed the Hilton Trinidad in Port-of-Spain was also up for refurbishment/upgrade consideration by potential Chinese investors.

“In Tobago we have the Magdalena Grand already, so we can get that going very quickly should we find a partnership, a proper match. That’s the ‘sun, sand and sea’ aspect of our tourism product.

“In Trinidad, we have the Hilton, located in the heart of PoS; our capital city. We can ‘lift it’ and we can ‘rise’ together, with respect to business tourism in Trinidad.”

Should a potential investor be more inclined to build a new hotel, the TT Government “can offer the equity on the lands.”

Having made her pitch for future foreign direct investment (FDI) in TT, Persad-Bissessar made sure to inform the “China-TT Business Forum” attendees about four deals signed that morning between various Chinese companies and State enterprises/ministries in TT.

Persad-Bissessar also sought assistance yesterday on construction and design of six new Economic Zones in TT, development of a trans-shipment Port and Dry Dock in south Trinidad, early processing of a loan agreement with China Exim Bank so these projects can be expedited and construction of two new hospitals.

Kamla: We can save $$ by switching to CNG
By Juhel Browne Beijing
Story Created: Feb 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM ECT
Story Updated: Feb 25, 2014 at 11:29 PM ECT
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar told Chinese investors at a business forum in Beijing yesterday if her administration can “take out” the $4 billion subsidy on gasoline and diesel by providing compressed natural gas (CNG) on a wider scale, then the Government could spend that money on hospitals, schools and roads.
“Listen, our cars, we cannot import them fast enough, they just sell. We go through them by the month. So many new vehicles come into the country so the fuel is well used and over used,” Persad-Bissessar said to the Chinese investors while speaking through a translator.
She spoke on the matter while delivering the feature address at a business forum hosted by InvesTT at the Great Hall of the People, less than three days after Energy Minister Kevin Ramnarine said “there will not be any adjustment in the price of gasoline or diesel” in the next two years, as the Government is working on establishing a nationwide CNG network as a solution to the annual $4 billion fuel subsidy.
Ramnarine made the statement in Beijing on Sunday during the signing of a memorandum of understanding between the National Gas Company (NGC) and China’s ENN Group meant to help accelerate Trinidad & Tobago’s CNG programme.
“This agreement will have a major positive impact on my country’s energy and transport industries by making CNG a more viable fuel option choice for the motoring public, now this is very important to us,” Persad-Bissessar said.
She said through this project, Trinidad and Tobago and China can partner in two ways.
“One, of course, will be the stations to be built but we can look for partners with respect to the supply of conversion kits into CNG for the vehicles,” Persad-Bissessar said.
She then made reference to the $4 billion now being spent annually on the fuel subsidy.
“If we can take that subsidy out not, by giving people the petrol at a higher price, but by instead using CNG which is cheaper for us to produce, then I can save $4 billion which I can then put into hospitals, into schools, into roads, whilst at the same time offering fuel, the CNG at a reduced cost to our public,” Persad-Bissessar said.
On Sunday, ENN Group president Yip Sang Cheung said that ENN has been involved in the natural gas industry in China for over 25 years.
Ramnarine had said in 2013, the Cabinet approved a $500 million proposal from the NGC for phase one of the expansion of the CNG distribution network.
“That has two parts to it, one is the construction of 22 dispensing points and the other is the conversion of 300 buses and some high-use vehicles and maxi taxis and so on,” Ramnarine said.
NCG chairman Roopchan Chadeesingh said on Sunday that NGC is “going to concentrate in the first two years” targeting fleet owners, some Government vehicles such as those belonging to the police and the regiment.

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » February 26th, 2014, 6:40 am

Kamla and crew missing the point that people are not going to dish out thousands of dollars to convert their vehicles which in turn in going to inconvenience the pocket and comfort.

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » February 26th, 2014, 7:34 am

hustla_ambition101 wrote:Kamla and crew missing the point that people are not going to dish out thousands of dollars to convert their vehicles which in turn in going to inconvenience the pocket and comfort.

They cud do some craziness come nex budget and raise premium to $7 and super to $5 den man might start rushin to get cng.
Jus sayin...

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » February 26th, 2014, 7:45 am

1UZFE wrote:
hustla_ambition101 wrote:Kamla and crew missing the point that people are not going to dish out thousands of dollars to convert their vehicles which in turn in going to inconvenience the pocket and comfort.

They cud do some craziness come nex budget and raise premium to $7 and super to $5 den man might start rushin to get cng.
Jus sayin...

She already said no increases for the next 2 years, besides that will just drop another nail in the PP's coffin for elections next year, I doubt she so dotish

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » February 26th, 2014, 7:59 am

hustla_ambition101 wrote:
1UZFE wrote:

Jus sayin...

She already said no increases for the next 2 years, besides that will just drop another nail in the PP's coffin for elections next year, I doubt she so dotish

I think the only way cng could catch on is if the govt make it mandatory for "H" vehicles to use cng. This of course would cause an uproar by the various taxi co operations. But in order to reduce our carbon footprint hardline measures like this would need to take place.
This also could be easier when inspection time comes for taxis. If LO wasnt so corrupted then alot of taxis and maxis would not be on the road. Barring or banning them for delapidated vehicles that pollute the atmostphere could coerce taxi owners to switch to cng.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » February 26th, 2014, 8:31 am

“This is very important to us, because my Government spends $4 billion; which I’m told is equivalent to your currency, the Yuan (¥), $4 billion per year in subsidising fuel. If we can (remove) that subsidy, not by giving people petrol at a higher price but by instead using cheaper-to-produce CNG, then I can save $4 billion which I can then put into hospitals, schools and roads,” Persad-Bissessar told the forum.

Ok,
The subsidy exists because there is a difference between the international prices of the fuel vs what is charged locally.

AFAIK CNG prices will be correlated to NAT GAS prices which we dont control.

Anybody knows how the price at the pump for CNG will be determined???

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 26th, 2014, 9:37 am

they should give rebates (let's say 50%) plus offer an interest/tax free loan for converting

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 26th, 2014, 10:16 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Something defiantly up with the one I saw. Level black smoke from the exhaust.

car_man
Riding on 13's

Postby car_man » April 7th, 2014, 11:26 am

Hear dis nah... I hav a 626 PAY Model wit a complete CNG Kit. My problem is dat it vibrates the car wen it's on CNG, and wen on gas it cuts off wen slowing dwn or coming to a stop! Wats my problem?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » April 7th, 2014, 12:12 pm

This is your problem.

Subject: Where to get CNG???

car_man
Riding on 13's

Postby car_man » April 7th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Bought the car wit it.... a mth ago!

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 7th, 2014, 8:13 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Something defiantly up with the one I saw. Level black smoke from the exhaust.
I think they mix the cng with diesel in the tritons

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 7th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Saw another recently and no smoke.

All of them have tcx plates I seen so far

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » April 8th, 2014, 7:50 pm

I know many people are going on about power loss using CNG, but just note that CNG added to a turbo diesel engine has a similar effect to nitrous on a gas engine.

Just a thought.

ad man
Street 2NR

Postby ad man » January 24th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Does anyone know if a 2012 Toyota wish is compatible with CNG kits in Trinidad?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”