Forums

The guitar string (thread)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Sky
punchin NOS

Re: The guitar string (thread)

Postby Sky » April 15th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Hmm. Do we really need to pay all that money for a Gibson?
Any owners here could say truly that The extra over an Epiphone is worth it?

rocknrolla
Riding on 18's

Postby rocknrolla » April 15th, 2013, 1:56 pm

afaik what u pay for is the exotic woods which gibson sources. it's a vintage brand for vintage players.. worth? really depends on ur value for guitars. theres alot of good builders out there some lesser known than others.. ex gibson ibanez etc all doing there own thing. i would say hand built is definitely better than some kinda machine run.

but basically i think gibson does put in that extra care to sand everything down to perfection. but still not worth it for me. pretty happy with my washburn , schecter and fender for now.

InDeForest
Riding on 18's

Postby InDeForest » April 16th, 2013, 1:00 am

Gibson is still great stuff when you are paying $3000us and up, the 'cheaper' models 800-2000 range suffer from corner cutting in the fretwork and paintjob, I often see these models show up brand new with very roughly sanded fretboards, file marks on the frets and binding, fine scratches and unbuffed areas on the finish. Epiphones will have none of these problems but are admittedly not built with the same quality parts, electronics woods and finishes that are considered the standard best choices.. Are they worth it? Not for our economy, alot of what you are paying for is retailer markups, shipping, duties, etc. and your money is less invested in the quality of the guitar. Gibsons in the US are great for holding resale value etc but good luck with that in tt.

I personally build guitars like these on a regular basis and the focus is to stay away from frivolous cost inflating features and focus on premium wood selection, finish quality, fretwork, the integrity of truss rods and neck stability etc etc, no sad stories, they are costly to produce but a handbuilt guitar will always give you more value since there is more focus on the features you actually deem necessary and less money is diverted to numerous middlemen markups

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » April 16th, 2013, 7:53 am

InDeForest wrote:
I personally build guitars like these on a regular basis

Post some of your work nah.

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » April 17th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Sky wrote:Hmm. Do we really need to pay all that money for a Gibson?

I'll let you know.
Just bought one for the hell of it.
You really can't go wrong for $399 shipped.

I have learned that the good stuff is coming from the far east. Fallen in love with Edwards guitars and if i still played as much as I did a few years ago I would have already replaced my entire line with their stuff.

speedmelter
18 pounds of Boost

Postby speedmelter » April 17th, 2013, 10:50 pm

i have an epiphone and its quite good, i cant complain. sadly ive never played any other guitar to compare it to

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » April 18th, 2013, 12:18 pm

rocknrolla
Riding on 18's

Postby rocknrolla » April 18th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Cjruckus wrote:

I'll let you know.

I have learned that the good stuff is coming from the far east. Fallen in love with Edwards guitars and if i still played as much as I did a few years ago I would have already replaced my entire line with their stuff.

a 399 guitar from epiphone still wont be the same as a $3000 Gib. expect some uneven frets, cheap pickups, a poorly finished neck or frets that jot out at the side or not being perfectly flush, wont use the same quality woods, or finish etc. but with the right craftsman u could finetune those inefficiencies to a point where it really doesnt matter. if u feel u require all that expert level crafting that is.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » April 18th, 2013, 7:07 pm

turbotusty wrote:
Cjruckus wrote:

I'll let you know.

a 399 guitar from epiphone still wont be the same as a $3000 Gib. expect some uneven frets, cheap pickups, a poorly finished neck or frets that jot out at the side or not being perfectly flush, wont use the same quality woods, or finish etc. but with the right craftsman u could finetune those inefficiencies to a point where it really doesnt matter. if u feel u require all that expert level crafting that is.

Dunno what CJ got for 399, but I ordered the standard plus top pro yesterday after about a week of combing through reviews. Not one review spoke about uneven frets, cheap pickups, a bad finish or fretwire jotting out.
It is a fact that more attention is paid to detail, selecting the wood for the Gibsons, and they use a thicker slab of maple for the top. The finish is also done differently. But it ends there if I'm not mistaken.
You may get bad action, intonation, or the nut may need dressing. But not what you mentioned.
Nothing 20 min visit to InDeForest can't fix.
Btw, there is no guitar brand that guarantees a perfect setup off the shelf. Not even PRS.

Take this in.

rocknrolla
Riding on 18's

Postby rocknrolla » April 18th, 2013, 7:12 pm

oh goar i not dissin the guitars inno. like i say it really dont matter what guitar as long as u comfortable. i just listed a few of the issues common to guitars cheaper than the $2000 price range. cheaper truss rods etc. i mean u simply cant get the same product for 399 that u would for 3000. but is if those little things that are fine tuned matter to u.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » April 18th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Naw not sayin you dissin them. Just being informative. I took in a lot about these axes lately.
The beatles and bob marley used them.
I played a shitty Gibson in Simon's already. But it was the setup.
The Gibsons ARE better, but worth the price?
Imo the Gibson, Fender and PRS american models names have all surpassed their quality, and now too expensive for what you get. Most of the price is for an american building it instead of an asian. Btw, Gibson ran out of good wood a while now lol. They didn't hoard like prs, and Fender doesn't give a crap. They just give you two pieces instead of three lol.

InDeForest
Riding on 18's

Postby InDeForest » April 18th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Les Bain, wha yuh want

More?

InDeForest
Riding on 18's

Postby InDeForest » April 18th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Epiphones and other Korean and far east guitars really are fantastic value, there is no question. But be prepared to replace the occasional volume pot or pickup switch, or try different tones with new pickups, normal stuff.

speedmelter
18 pounds of Boost

Postby speedmelter » April 18th, 2013, 8:37 pm

forest your sick dudde :)

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » April 18th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Whoa.
More InDeForest.
Loving the tele body one.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » April 19th, 2013, 12:28 pm

InDeForest that is some real TOP work there. You wouldn't happen to be that guy from the Long Circular Road/Maraval area wouldn't you?

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » April 23rd, 2013, 12:29 am

turbotusty wrote:a 399 guitar from epiphone still wont be the same as a $3000 Gib. expect some uneven frets, cheap pickups, a poorly finished neck or frets that jot out at the side or not being perfectly flush, wont use the same quality woods, or finish etc. but with the right craftsman u could finetune those inefficiencies to a point where it really doesnt matter. if u feel u require all that expert level crafting that is.

Oh damn, I didn't know. Looks like I got burnt.
C'mon kid, I've been down this road before. If you saw my main rig you'd probably sheit yourself.

Sky i got a new one on the eBay for 399 in transblue flame.
Should be coming later this week. I'll probably take some time and give it a set up this weekend.

rocknrolla
Riding on 18's

Postby rocknrolla » April 23rd, 2013, 10:18 am

Cjruckus wrote:
turbotusty wrote:a 399 guitar from epiphone still wont be the same as a $3000 Gib. expect some uneven frets, cheap pickups, a poorly finished neck or frets that jot out at the side or not being perfectly flush, wont use the same quality woods, or finish etc. but with the right craftsman u could finetune those inefficiencies to a point where it really doesnt matter. if u feel u require all that expert level crafting that is.

C'mon kid, I've been down this road before. If you saw my main rig you'd probably sheit yourself.

Should be coming later this week. I'll probably take some time and give it a set up this weekend.

unlikely that id sheit myself since ive been in some of the largest studios in the country including amar studios back in the day. or unless ur a friend of mine that has a full fledged studio with professional soundproofing, voice recording room, mesa boogie amps, and like 20 guitars.. i dunno.. i sheit myself when i saw that. can u top it?

i wasnt going a competition of gear anyway. my gear is exclusive gear. one of my guitars is one of 50 made in the entire world. both of them retailed at $1000 each. im happy with them until i get my custom built by ranguitars. quote came in at approx $30,000 including customs and duties.
really i have nothing to look for in brand name models. and if ud read a little further ud see where i said i just quoted a few of the common shortcomings of cheaper guitars. dont know what i said wrong but are u telling me ud get the same level of quality in everything from a 399usd guitar that u would from a $3000usd guitar? cuz that was my point.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » April 23rd, 2013, 10:42 am

Buying a high end guitar won't make you play better and a crappy one certainly won't help, getting something that's comfortable and feels great when you play is first priority, I can't play gibsons/epis because they don't feel good to me compared to a strat. In this day and age, sub par equipment can get you a sound that's good as any(except live). If you have money for the top shelf stuff, you know for sure your gonna get quality to last a lifetime at least. And nice work forest, are your guitars the ones for sale in simons? I know they say some are from a local builder.

rocknrolla
Riding on 18's

Postby rocknrolla » April 23rd, 2013, 12:22 pm

^all points made earlier. comfort is more important than fanciness. i however must admit like a bit of artistic value in my instruments, rarity etc. aint a guitar God, dont practice enough for that. but i love music. so as much as my gear is decent. my home studio is mainly a hobby.

Mr Krogh has made papers for his work and ive seen his work first hand. he is an absolute professional at what he does having done some customizing work on my guitars ive always felt very comfortable leaving my gear with him to work on over a couple days or even a week. something id never do with anyone else in the local repair scene for sure. since he doesnt seem to be around to answer ur questions the answer is yes to all of them.. that's the guy :)

InDeForest
Riding on 18's

Postby InDeForest » April 23rd, 2013, 2:29 pm

Yeah guilty.. thanks for the words of support gentlemen.
Don't worry I always come back to this thread, I really can talk about guitars whole day.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 23rd, 2013, 2:33 pm

what's your price on a 5 string bass?

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » April 23rd, 2013, 10:56 pm

turbotusty wrote:
Cjruckus wrote:

unlikely that id sheit myself since ive been in some of the largest studios in the country including amar studios back in the day. or unless ur a friend of mine that has a full fledged studio with professional soundproofing, voice recording room, mesa boogie amps, and like 20 guitars.. i dunno.. i sheit myself when i saw that. can u top it?

i wasnt going a competition of gear anyway. my gear is exclusive gear. one of my guitars is one of 50 made in the entire world. both of them retailed at $1000 each. im happy with them until i get my custom built by ranguitars. quote came in at approx $30,000 including customs and duties.
really i have nothing to look for in brand name models. and if ud read a little further ud see where i said i just quoted a few of the common shortcomings of cheaper guitars. dont know what i said wrong but are u telling me ud get the same level of quality in everything from a 399usd guitar that u would from a $3000usd guitar? cuz that was my point.

This right here ladies and gentlemen is why I refuse to participate with any member of local musician elite.

With age I've scaled back my gear spending. Compared to when I started in 97, you can get an amazing instrument for next to nothing. A lot of lower end guitars are playing on comparable levels to their expensive counterparts. The gap has closed, significantly. Same thing with Amps.

No need to assume I didn't know these things before buying.
Gear is meant to be played, not extend ones penis. With that being said, I think my stuff makes my penis look pretty damn big.

rocknrolla
Riding on 18's

Postby rocknrolla » April 23rd, 2013, 11:26 pm

Cjruckus wrote:
turbotusty wrote:
Cjruckus wrote:

This right here ladies and gentlemen is why I refuse to participate with any member of local musician elite.

With age I've scaled back my gear spending. Compared to when I started in 97, you can get an amazing instrument for next to nothing. A lot of lower end guitars are playing on comparable levels to their expensive counterparts. The gap has closed, significantly. Same thing with Amps.

No need to assume I didn't know these things before buying.
Gear is meant to be played, not extend ones penis. With that being said, I think my stuff makes my penis look pretty damn big.

i dont understand what ur saying..

first u bash the so-called elite, claim they use their gear to extend their penis as the reason, then state how proud u are that ur gear makes ur penis look big?

first of all im no member of any musician elite. it's a hobby. one that pleases my soul greatly. so i really dont know why u went off on such a tangent. personally the fact of the matter is, i dont care about the price of a guitar if i think it suits my needs. if ranguitars quoted my custom guitar at 299usd i wouldnt like it any less. it's my design and everything the way i specify. and that's what i want.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » April 23rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

one string guitar !!

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » April 26th, 2013, 11:24 am

Spent some hours with the epiphone last night.

Initial impressions are for the price you can't go wrong. Decent factory set up out of the box, does however need a lil work. Pickups are alright, but not great. A little muddy under moderate gain, won't win any awards for metal players, but it does the classic rock thing to a T. I want to double check one of the push pull pots cause I believe the bridge pick up may be stuck in single coil mode from factory. Didn't get a lot of time to play last night. Only ran it through the mesa, will try it in the smaller amps later to see how it performs.

Construction isn't bad, the vaneer top looks stunning, inlays are all aligned, guitar has some weight like every LP should. Neck profile isn't as meaty as my sg which is a good thing, but the fre wire does feel smaller than a gibson standard, haven't checked it side by side to tell. But its not a deal breaker by any means. I honestly prefer slightly smaller frets. Best thing, No tuning problems and the hardware feels solid. Even with the sheit factory strings

In all I'm telling myself I should have gotten an LP Years ago. Don't know why I stuck?

Will change strings and set up this weekend.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » April 26th, 2013, 12:31 pm

InDeForest have some nice amps too. Can you post some of those and possibly a pricing/price range?

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » April 26th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Cjruckus wrote:Spent some hours with the epiphone last night.

Initial impressions are for the price you can't go wrong. Decent factory set up out of the box, does however need a lil work. Pickups are alright, but not great. A little muddy under moderate gain, won't win any awards for metal players, but it does the classic rock thing to a T. I want to double check one of the push pull pots cause I believe the bridge pick up may be stuck in single coil mode from factory. Didn't get a lot of time to play last night. Only ran it through the mesa, will try it in the smaller amps later to see how it performs.

Construction isn't bad, the vaneer top looks stunning, inlays are all aligned, guitar has some weight like every LP should. Neck profile isn't as meaty as my sg which is a good thing, but the fre wire does feel smaller than a gibson standard, haven't checked it side by side to tell. But its not a deal breaker by any means. I honestly prefer slightly smaller frets. Best thing, No tuning problems and the hardware feels solid. Even with the sheit factory strings

In all I'm telling myself I should have gotten an LP Years ago. Don't know why I stuck?

Will change strings and set up this weekend.

Changing the pots to 500k would deal with the muddy issue. It's a preference thing, not a fault.
Can't wait to get mine :D

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » April 26th, 2013, 9:40 pm

i just opened it up to try and figure out a phasing problem im getting with the bridge pick up. The pots are already 500k so you wont need to upgrade them.

I am having a problem with the bridge pickup refusing to be a humbucker regardless of how i push an pull. The difference in sound is supposed to be noticed. I push, pull, no change with the bridge, but the neck works fine. So i opened it up, used the quick connects and switched to the other pot to see if that is the problem.. same problem happens again, the bridge pickup refuses to "untap itself." Which is a bummer, but not a deal breaker. This axe has a lifetime warranty and I have contacted the seller and gibson about the matter.

If nothing comes from it I'll just upgrade the pickups sooner than expected. No love lost.

If anyone is willing to share some suggestions on how to fix, feel free.

on a side note the wiring job done on this guitar was pretty good. Was surprised to see quick connects, not even my Fender or gibson has those. We've come a long way.

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » April 26th, 2013, 10:12 pm

ok for those of you who are interested. I think i found the problem with the pickup. Turns out the factory didn't connect the wire for the bridge in the center position of the toggle switch, so I will be going through the schematic with a fine tooth comb trying to figure out what was missed.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”