Forums

Having a macaw as a pet

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Having a macaw as a pet

Postby jsr » September 2nd, 2009, 10:29 am

Is there a legal way to have a macaw as a pet?

permits etc?

whats the process?

haydn28
Riding on 17's

Postby haydn28 » September 2nd, 2009, 10:40 am

it have ah wild one does come by my house for food and water , and i doh have no permit :lol:

.:PROZAC:..
punchin NOS

Postby .:PROZAC:.. » September 2nd, 2009, 10:44 am

Enter Caucaut.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » September 2nd, 2009, 11:26 am

caucaut was on holiday

RoTaRyBoYz
Shifting into 6th

Postby RoTaRyBoYz » September 2nd, 2009, 11:29 am

If your get caught they will take it away and they end up either back in the wild in South America or in a gigantic bird cage in Valsayn :wink: ... On the other hand, if the warden find the bird to be over domesticated, meaning if it can't survive on it's own in the wild, then they (warden) might let you keep it. I was talking to someone about implementing some sort of bird permit system in Trinidad, but she said " Trinidadians are to dam cheap"

My bird permit plan was only for the local caught Orange Wing parrots, not Macaw's

Check Pantins pet shop in woodbrook.. I believe he is the only person that breeding Macaws, so I don't see why it will be a problem obtaining one that was hatched locally. Yes he's more expensive than yuh parder in Cedros, but at least yuh getting paper work etc to prove yuh bird legal

On the other hand... Make sure you have a cage big enough for the bird to fully open his wings, plus plenty on toys and proper food. None ah that sunflower seed only bullsheit. Imagine I feed you fig and sunflower seed for the rest of yuh life, yuh think yuh will be well nourished?

Some forking Trinidadians have dem birds lock up in small cages and feeding them scraps :roll:

d spike
Riding on 18's

Postby d spike » September 2nd, 2009, 1:02 pm

" Make sure you have a cage big enough for the bird to fully open his wings, plus plenty on toys ... "

This guy is right regarding the toys. Macaws are highly intelligent birds and need new and interesting stimuli to keep them happy. You will need to change his toys regularly. If you hear about pet macaws who have started biting, then you are hearing about a bird going mad due to lack of mental stimulation (yeah, they can go mad). Room to move about and things to manipulate make for an alert and happy bird. :D

Dragist
punchin NOS

Postby Dragist » September 2nd, 2009, 1:28 pm

Why will you want to do that , they look happy to be free out there . Do you know that out local population of Macaws was in jeopardy up to recently because of ppl like you that wanted them as "PETS"

Leave them Free and wild where they supposed to be .
Last edited by Dragist on September 3rd, 2009, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby jsr » September 2nd, 2009, 1:46 pm

thanks for your replies

i will stick to my one pet parrot
:lol:

TURBOT
punchin NOS

Postby TURBOT » September 2nd, 2009, 5:39 pm

them green parrot like dog....... they love a drumstick bone tooo bad...
i know one who love bread and butter too

wall
Street 2NR

Postby wall » September 2nd, 2009, 6:27 pm

haydn28 wrote:it have ah wild one does come by my house for food and water , and i doh have no permit :lol:
how long this been happenin? i used to have a macaw a blue and gold that used to do the same thing for about a yr he used to fly from plamiste to bel air n evan made it as far as claxton bay one time where we ended up bringin him back home n letting him go again.

Freelander
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Freelander » September 2nd, 2009, 6:29 pm

my parrot used to eat eggs and bacon and a cup of coffee in the morning .

devrat
12 pounds of Boost

Postby devrat » September 2nd, 2009, 6:41 pm

I have a neighbour who is a macco..do not feed it though it fugly

Cid
Riding on 17's

Postby Cid » September 2nd, 2009, 7:08 pm

i have a blue and gold and a scarlet red and a CauCaut in ah 8ft cage....., they are really nice pets....its not legal tho, you need a permit to have them, i applied a few months ago for my permit..

they require alot of food , my birds eat about 5 bananas daily, together with 3 whole corn, a few plums , oranges , and any other fruits...i also give them nuts and sunflower seeds about 3 times a week cause its kida expensive for those type of foods...

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » September 2nd, 2009, 7:08 pm

Freelander wrote:my parrot used to eat eggs and bacon and a cup of coffee in the morning .

so... stueps mines does eat cherios and milk...

:lol: :lol:

Dragist
punchin NOS

Postby Dragist » September 2nd, 2009, 7:11 pm

You know hot they get them as pets ? they cut down the Trees kill the parents and take the babies .

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » September 2nd, 2009, 7:16 pm

there is someone in south valsayn with a huge cage and lots of cawcauts

red

that is all

Freelander
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Freelander » September 2nd, 2009, 7:21 pm

^^^

i thought they were all stolen a few years back?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » September 2nd, 2009, 7:43 pm

yeah right

the only thing i can see stolen is probably the land that is the extended back yard

RoTaRyBoYz
Shifting into 6th

Postby RoTaRyBoYz » September 2nd, 2009, 9:44 pm

SR, I not getting into the part of the people land etc but I do know that they have used their time & money to fight for the animals of Trinidad & Tobago. They have worked harder than anyone else in T&T to make sure our native animals are protected for future generations to see.

Yes the Macaw cage is huge, but those birds have their own caretaker and get the right diet and care. I can put my head on a block that they get better care now than if they were left with the person than smuggled them into the country. I've vacationed there several times, so I know what I'm saying.

I doh see no other business person leaving their company into the hands of others, so they can dedicate 100% of their time & MONEY to help protect our animals. Not only to protect them, but to protect the wildlife of other countries in the region.

We planning on coming to Trinidad soon to start a parrot raid... I take parrot cruelty very serious, Yuh think is joke!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 2nd, 2009, 9:48 pm

i hear the real rare bird to have is toucan

RoTaRyBoYz
Shifting into 6th

Postby RoTaRyBoYz » September 2nd, 2009, 9:58 pm

yes but they have a sorta more complex diet than a parrot... If given the wrong diet, they will not live their full life span due to a build of Iron and other imbalances in their body.

wall
Street 2NR

Postby wall » September 2nd, 2009, 10:28 pm

RoTaRyBoYz wrote:SR, I not getting into the part of the people land etc but I do know that they have used their time & money to fight for the animals of Trinidad & Tobago. They have worked harder than anyone else in T&T to make sure our native animals are protected for future generations to see.

Yes the Macaw cage is huge, but those birds have their own caretaker and get the right diet and care. I can put my head on a block that they get better care now than if they were left with the person than smuggled them into the country. I've vacationed there several times, so I know what I'm saying.

I doh see no other business person leaving their company into the hands of others, so they can dedicate 100% of their time & MONEY to help protect our animals. Not only to protect them, but to protect the wildlife of other countries in the region.

We planning on coming to Trinidad soon to start a parrot raid... I take parrot cruelty very serious, Yuh think is joke!
it is good to see atleast some ppl care in this country

d spike
Riding on 18's

Postby d spike » September 2nd, 2009, 10:59 pm

‘Why will you want to do that , they look happy to be free out there . Do you that out local population of Macaws was in jeopardy up to recently because of ppl like you that wanted them as "PETS"..’
I thought he was referring to a ‘pet-shop bred’ bird
:oops: - I would hate to think that he was considering a wild-caught macaw as ours are endangered.

“i hear the real rare bird to have is toucanâ€

wall
Street 2NR

Postby wall » September 2nd, 2009, 11:02 pm

i could safely say i care more for animals than most of these jack@sses we r forced to put up with everyday.

eurogirl
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby eurogirl » September 2nd, 2009, 11:23 pm

Guy's I've recently been to the south valsayn house ..

is not 1 cage now nah

is CAGESSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spanning the whole back yard .. :shock:

He treat's the birdies rell good :)

ChristianRD
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ChristianRD » September 3rd, 2009, 12:01 am

[quote="d spike"]‘Why will you want to do that , they look happy to be free out there . Do you that out local population of Macaws was in jeopardy up to recently because of ppl like you that wanted them as "PETS"..’
I thought he was referring to a ‘pet-shop bred’ bird
:oops: - I would hate to think that he was considering a wild-caught macaw as ours are endangered.

“i hear the real rare bird to have is toucanâ€

RoTaRyBoYz
Shifting into 6th

Postby RoTaRyBoYz » September 3rd, 2009, 12:45 am

eurogirl are you related to them or something? BTW the cages has been there for over 10 yrs now

Anyways.. Trinidad eh have no "pet shop bred" parrots, all dem forking birds were taken from the wild.. Every March/ April dem fellas does pluck out the baby orange wing from the nest and sell them in the market or to pet shops.

I think the worst thing is to see a parrot in a small hanging "chicken wire" cage and the poor fella only getting fig and a few scraps of roti to eat. When yuh go ape sheit on the owner, the first thing he does say "boy, is yuh know how long I mineing bud.. I used to feed all my parrot that"

Ah next thing is the bread & milk they does feed the baby parrots... What these kants doh realize is that parrots are lactose intolerant, so fairly large doses of milk is a no-no. Ever notice they does sheit like crazy once they finish eat the bread & milk?? Well now yuh now why

The bottom line is, treat any pet the way you would treat one of your kids or yourself because they don't have a mouth to tell you where it hurts or the ability to defend themselves!

Now these are 2 happy parrots... walk-in indoor cage, proper food, plenty of toy and most importantly, lots of love.

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby jsr » September 3rd, 2009, 1:10 am

i saw a guy with some toucans

but i think he has a permit

SUPAstarr
punchin NOS

Postby SUPAstarr » September 3rd, 2009, 6:33 am

African greys are my favorite closely followed by the double yellow head amazon, rotaryboyz u are win, what an excellent setup, make me miss my yellow shouldered

jsr
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby jsr » September 3rd, 2009, 12:22 pm

any exotic birds you can have as pets legally?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”