TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Religion Discussion

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 6th, 2009, 6:50 pm

I agree that it is difficult to believe in a supernatural being without solid, empirical evidence or a personal intervention.

DFC - Your arguments have a lot of merit. My question is -

Do you depend on yourself to choose your death as you depend on yourself to live?

Are you in control of the moment of your death, logically and empirically?

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 6th, 2009, 6:51 pm

TrinbagoMan wrote:. It is not only Christians who have been affected by the dominance of Judeo Christianity but also Muslims, Hindus, non-Christians.. even atheists.

soo umm...how?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 6th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Even Atheists believe in something.

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » September 6th, 2009, 6:58 pm

bluefete wrote:I agree that it is difficult to believe in a supernatural being without solid, empirical evidence or a personal intervention.

Do you depend on yourself to choose your death as you depend on yourself to live?

bluefete, your entire argument seems be based on the notion that some sentient entity has to be in control of forces like life and death.

But there's no reason to believe that. Life and death is just the presence and absence of energy in a body. Energy finds many reasons to move around that don't depend on some predetermined celestial plan.

And where does this, "Well if God doesn't exist, we must be gods" concept originate? That is totally non sequitur...it doesn't follow any sort of reasoning. You haven't established why any kind of god needs to exist in the first place. You're just assuming that.

At the very most, your questions lead to, "I don't know who or what controls life and death." That's a far cry from accepting the existence of God, especially the existence of God as outlined in any religious text.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 6th, 2009, 7:01 pm

bluefete wrote:I agree that it is difficult to believe in a supernatural being without solid, empirical evidence or a personal intervention.

Death is inevitable....it is a must for the world to continue.
i have some control on how long i live....if i take goodcare of my health and excersize..then yes..i will live long.

if i smoke and drink..i am shortening my life..so we do have some measure of control..

we are not in contol of our birth or death (YET)
Its natural occurrence.

But i see where u are going with this....if we are not in control of birth or death..then who is?
is it logical to blame it on god and dismiss it right there?
its convenient to make god the scapegoat.
but what other options are there?

one day science will find a way for us to live and die as we want.

everything that is mysterious we blame it on god....
if a good man dies young..."god snatched him away"
of if a healthy baby is born amidst tremendous problems "oh..it was god"

if i was god..i would be vex that every shiet happens ...i get blamed for it.

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » September 6th, 2009, 7:02 pm

bluefete wrote:Even Atheists believe in something.

I don't think that's what he meant.

I think he means that atheists often come to their state of disbelief because they're not satisfied with or convinced by the Judeo-Christian concepts of God and spirituality. Their decision to be atheists, therefore, is directly influenced by the dominant religion around them.

It's absolutely wrong to imply that atheists believe in some form of God. That's projecting your beliefs on someone else, and it's not objective debate in the least.

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » September 6th, 2009, 7:05 pm

the_DFC, death is not necessary for the world to continue. I don't think people have any idea how inconsequential humanity is to the status of this planet. Humanity and all other living beings. The planet sustains life...not the other way around.

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » September 6th, 2009, 8:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... d+delusion

^The god delusion, by Richard Dawkins...

that posted..my best encounter would have to be the time i helped MG stash his body at 3am

ZeroOne
12 pounds of Boost

Postby ZeroOne » September 6th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Wayys 4 pages over God?? Didnt know tuners so holy.

Mitsubishi Maniac
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Mitsubishi Maniac » September 6th, 2009, 8:47 pm

bluefete wrote:To Those Who Believe in God; No Explanation is Necessary. And To Those Who Do Not Believe in God; No Explanation is Possible.
- Author Unknown

MitsuM: Very well written. Worth much more than $0.20.

I wonder if MG, DFC et al are trying to take the Mickey out of this thread?

:D

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 6th, 2009, 9:22 pm

altec wrote:MG Man, your idea on God can be found in most sociology books, so who is to say that you are not fooled into thinking that way? Just looking at it from another perspective, not playing ethug.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
u serious jed?
I was brought up in a very religious caring environment......was taught to respect all religions yadda yadda............. I don't need textbooks to demonstrate the nonsensical concept of god.....
as I said before, some people need to believe in something higher than themselves to give their life meaning *shrugs*
As for the devil............if u dumb enough to believe in god, something has to be there to scare u into not questioning it..........

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Atheists and agnostics have their arguments founded in the scientific method. Using this method, it’s currently impossible prove the existence of a higher power to their satisfaction. By the same token however, they must acknowledge the limitation of modern science and concede that they may not yet be able to detect such a presence. Logic suggests therefore that no atheist can make a statement that “Godâ€

Peanut Punch
2NRholic

Postby Peanut Punch » September 6th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I believe in Karma'' ... live a good life, make the best decisions possible, think positive, work hard, be honest with yourself' & u'll see your way' 8-)

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » September 6th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Mrs Peanut Punch wrote:I believe in Karma'' ... live a good life, make the best decisions possible, think positive, work hard, be honest with yourself' & u'll see your way' 8-)

I think your general intent is good, but that is utter bull. That is the general good intentioned approach to life which many people have, which simply allows them to live in a stage of conditioning unawareness, while unconsciously contributing to many social ills.

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » September 6th, 2009, 10:24 pm

But just because the believer’s method cannot currently withstand the scrutiny of the scientific method does not make it any less real.

An unexplained feeling or experience isn't necessarily a supernatural feeling or experience. I'm sure some people really believe they experienced something incredible when they survived a car crash or made a "prophecy"...that doesn't mean that, upon closer investigation, something incredible actually happened.

A great local example is sleep apnea being interpreted as jumbie sitting on people's chests.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2009, 10:30 pm

^^You're falling into your own trap by assuming that only science can explain certain phenomenon. Can you say for certain that it's not being caused by a supernatural being?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 6th, 2009, 10:33 pm

this is too funny
my skepticism has nothing to do with science etc.........it's just a stupid concept

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » September 6th, 2009, 10:36 pm

[quote="hydroep"]My own view is that many of the “modernâ€

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 6th, 2009, 10:41 pm

the_DFC wrote:why do god wants us to beg him all the time?
and sing his praises and worship him?
to satisfy his ego?
is he that full of himself?
an ego-tyrant is what he is!

it's cuz we all jus the equivalent of a primary school kid growing a red bean in a cup with wet tissue paper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'god' is some higher life form's kid playing with his project....or we cud all be just random germs in their drain outside...........

waits for the emo crew to reply

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » September 6th, 2009, 10:45 pm

hydroep wrote:Can you say for certain that it's not being caused by a supernatural being?

A) We have evidence that sleep apnea causes that feeling.

B) We have no evidence that the feeling isn't caused by a supernatural being.

You want to ignore the presence of evidence in A to embrace the absence of evidence in B. You're dismissing certainty for uncertainty. That doesn't make sense.

As an aside, where did I say only science can explain certain phenomena? Please don't put words in my mouth. If the phenomena can't be explained, it's unexplained. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know."

Damien
punchin NOS

Postby Damien » September 6th, 2009, 10:47 pm

thank you god :!:

larafan

Postby larafan » September 6th, 2009, 10:48 pm

i think the adam and eve thread should be bumped...

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Actually Humes, that wasn't an off the cuff remark. That's based on my own encounters with atheists over the years. I think it's justified.

BTW, when you talk about not making assumptions about the fundamental parts of anyone just be aware that you're implicitly doing the same thing here:

Humes wrote:It's something I think believers take comfort in.

:wink:

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » September 6th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Acknowledged.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 6th, 2009, 11:05 pm

I have a question that's been making me think.

When God made Adam and Eve and everything on this great Earth, why did he make it a planet?

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » September 6th, 2009, 11:11 pm

LOL...

Humes wrote:
hydroep wrote:Can you say for certain that it's not being caused by a supernatural being?

A) We have evidence that sleep apnea causes that feeling.

B) We have no evidence that the feeling isn't caused by a supernatural being.

Via the scientific method yes. But believers don't use the scientific method. I thought that was clear from my post.

You want to ignore the presence of evidence in A to embrace the absence of evidence in B. You're dismissing certainty for uncertainty. That doesn't make sense.

Not at all. I'm not denying anything. All I'm asking you is whether or not you can you say for certain, that it's not being caused by a supernatural being? And the answer is no.

As an aside, where did I say only science can explain certain phenomena? Please don't put words in my mouth. If the phenomena can't be explained, it's unexplained.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You've done that yourself. What are you saying here?

Humes wrote:A great local example is sleep apnea being interpreted as jumbie sitting on people's chests.

Aren't you saying that though the scientific method it has been determined that the problem is sleep apnea and not a jumbie sitting on people's chests? That's the same thing as saying that only science can explain this particular phenomena and if a believer says it's a jumbie then they are clearly wrong.

There's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know."

That's true and I shall when appropriate... 8-)

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » September 6th, 2009, 11:23 pm

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 7th, 2009, 3:25 am

Humes wrote:
bluefete wrote:Even Atheists believe in something.

I don't think that's what he meant.

It's absolutely wrong to imply that atheists believe in some form of God. That's projecting your beliefs on someone else, and it's not objective debate in the least.

Humes: I did not mean that Atheists believe in God. I meant that they believe in the absence or non-existence of God. Again, your arguments are quite rational.

Razka wrote: ^The god delusion, by Richard Dawkins...

Richard Dawkins was the man who said that life most likely started in mud ...

This is a man who is as atheistic as they come but how is it after all that logic that the best he can do is parrot Genesis 2:7 - "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground ..." and Genesis 3:19 - "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground, for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return."

How can an animate object evolve from an inanimate object?

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » September 7th, 2009, 3:28 am

everyone is entitled to their opinion..... but god exists and giving you all non believers time to accept or stay in denial....

sometimes its only when something incredible and life changing happens that you believe.....

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 7th, 2009, 3:35 am

Word.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”