TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Religion Discussion

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7001
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby bluefete » May 4th, 2019, 6:28 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :rofl: :rofl:

That is why atheists are so wealthy. Non-profits also live off of money.

zoom rader wrote:
bluefete wrote:Atheism, by definition, is a religious view.

Religion comes from the Latin word - religare - (re-back; ligare - to bind).

This means that one is bound to one's belief which guide one's actions.

Religion includes the belief that there is no supernatural realm.

Isaac Asimov - was an atheist "who believed that the universe is comprehensible within the bounds of natural law."

Does it not take belief to believe that the universe started with a big bang? Was anyone of us there to see it? If we were not, why do so many people believe what we never saw?

MGMan: Isn't that much like believing in God?
Bull chit

Atheism is a non profit organisation

All religion live off of money

Advertisement
User avatar
mero
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5319
Joined: September 29th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Location: The Life of Pablo

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby mero » May 4th, 2019, 6:57 pm

matr1x wrote:
MaxPower wrote:
matr1x wrote:Max powers probably have no one that loves him



Religious holidays are like religious people apologies for being little c****t


You implying that you love me?


You got that from my post?


Silly Nal1ni, he is implying that you are a nobody, but you too stupid to know that lmao

matr1x
punchin NOS
Posts: 3164
Joined: February 25th, 2017, 7:46 am

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby matr1x » May 5th, 2019, 10:43 am

mero wrote:
matr1x wrote:
MaxPower wrote:
matr1x wrote:Max powers probably have no one that loves him



Religious holidays are like religious people apologies for being little c****t


You implying that you love me?


You got that from my post?


Silly Nal1ni, he is implying that you are a nobody, but you too stupid to know that lmao



Hey, just because you like piggy, doesn't mean everyone going to celebrate it.

User avatar
Slartibartfast
punchin NOS
Posts: 4583
Joined: May 15th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Location: Magrathea

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby Slartibartfast » May 6th, 2019, 3:15 pm

bluefete wrote:Atheism, by definition, is a religious view.

Religion comes from the Latin word - religare - (re-back; ligare - to bind).

This means that one is bound to one's belief which guide one's actions.

Religion includes the belief that there is no supernatural realm.

Isaac Asimov - was an atheist "who believed that the universe is comprehensible within the bounds of natural law."

Does it not take belief to believe that the universe started with a big bang? Was anyone of us there to see it? If we were not, why do so many people believe what we never saw? Evidence and proof.

MGMan: Isn't that much like believing in God? Where is the non-circumstantial evidence and proof for God?


Quick question bluefete.... what word/s would you use to describe someone that lives independently of God?
Secular/ secularist?
Humanist?
Secular humanist?

I only ask because I find that a lot of the arguments about Atheism stem from semantics instead of the actual belief/ lack thereof.

So, let's say that God has as much of an impact on me as unicorns have on you. I don't believe that God exists and you (correct me if I am wrong) don't believe that unicorns exist. I don't attribute any importance to God and you (again correct me if I am wrong) don't attribute any importance to unicorns. I live my life completely independent of God and you (I hope) live your life completely independent of unicorns. My morality is not based off God and your morality is (sadly) not based of unicorns. I may think about God from time to time and you (really should) probably think about unicorns as well but God and the idea of God is ultimately of no consequence to me and unicorns (again correct me if I am wrong) are of no consequence to you.

Now how would you describe my lack of a belief in God in a way that is comparable to your lack of belief in unicorns? If unicorn is a bad example you can replace it with something else more misaligned to your beliefs.

User avatar
eitech
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2647
Joined: November 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby eitech » May 6th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
bluefete wrote:Atheism, by definition, is a religious view.

Religion comes from the Latin word - religare - (re-back; ligare - to bind).

This means that one is bound to one's belief which guide one's actions.

Religion includes the belief that there is no supernatural realm.

Isaac Asimov - was an atheist "who believed that the universe is comprehensible within the bounds of natural law."

Does it not take belief to believe that the universe started with a big bang? Was anyone of us there to see it? If we were not, why do so many people believe what we never saw? Evidence and proof.

MGMan: Isn't that much like believing in God? Where is the non-circumstantial evidence and proof for God?


Quick question bluefete.... what word/s would you use to describe someone that lives independently of God?
Secular/ secularist?
Humanist?
Secular humanist?

I only ask because I find that a lot of the arguments about Atheism stem from semantics instead of the actual belief/ lack thereof.

So, let's say that God has as much of an impact on me as unicorns have on you. I don't believe that God exists and you (correct me if I am wrong) don't believe that unicorns exist. I don't attribute any importance to God and you (again correct me if I am wrong) don't attribute any importance to unicorns. I live my life completely independent of God and you (I hope) live your life completely independent of unicorns. My morality is not based off God and your morality is (sadly) not based of unicorns. I may think about God from time to time and you (really should) probably think about unicorns as well but God and the idea of God is ultimately of no consequence to me and unicorns (again correct me if I am wrong) are of no consequence to you.

Now how would you describe my lack of a belief in God in a way that is comparable to your lack of belief in unicorns? If unicorn is a bad example you can replace it with something else more misaligned to your beliefs.



Apologies for hijacking your question but i will loan you my 0.02c : Firstly i understand what ur tryin to mean by “independently” so i will answer in that regard. I prefer the term “unbelievers”. Simple as that.
Secondly, no one lives independently of God. It might seem so to you but he doesn’t wish for anyone to perish and tries to reach out to you in all sorts of ways. But the more you harden ur heart, the more distant you move. God doesn’t hide from man, it’s man who hides from God.
Thirdly, i am pretty sure you don’t believe in unicorns either but i see what you did there. Lol. Your lack of belief in God and unicorns comes from a lack of scientific proof. I”ll support you as far as unicorns go. What unbelievers fail to grasp is that once you exercise that faith FIRST, only then u realise what is the truth. I’ve come to realize it’s so simple yet so complex for the unbeliever.

User avatar
hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5021
Joined: February 4th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby hydroep » May 6th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Saw this on AGT some time ago. Very moving performance...


User avatar
maj. tom
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6615
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: watching for Pigs on the Wing.

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby maj. tom » May 6th, 2019, 8:21 pm

eitech wrote:Apologies for hijacking your question but i will loan you my 0.02c : Firstly i understand what ur tryin to mean by “independently” so i will answer in that regard. I prefer the term “unbelievers”. Simple as that.
Secondly, no one lives independently of God. It might seem so to you but he doesn’t wish for anyone to perish and tries to reach out to you in all sorts of ways. But the more you harden ur heart, the more distant you move. God doesn’t hide from man, it’s man who hides from God.
Thirdly, i am pretty sure you don’t believe in unicorns either but i see what you did there. Lol. Your lack of belief in God and unicorns comes from a lack of scientific proof. I”ll support you as far as unicorns go. What unbelievers fail to grasp is that once you exercise that faith FIRST, only then u realise what is the truth. I’ve come to realize it’s so simple yet so complex for the unbeliever.


So just because you don't believe in the Great Crab Baboo in invisible outer space you're an unbeliever. You need to have faith in his delicious curry butter to understand him ok.

Let's do a thought experiment please. Imagine you are born 5000 years in the future. We have such amazing technology and wonders of medicine and science and deep space exploration. All discovered and done by man, through centuries of hard work and our own spilt blood. And in such a time when you were growing up as a child, no one told you about God. Anything you wanted to know, we more or less know how most of the natural world works and could explain almost every observable phenomena with a proper understanding of the basic structure of matter and energy. And your parents tell you everything you need to know, every question your expanding mind wants to understand, because humanity understands a lot more that we know now, down to the limits of probability of entropy.

And no one ever one told you about God.
How do you discover God on your own? How are you going to discover what faith in God is? Not faith in gravity, not faith in the sunrise every morning. Faith in God. That you don't know exists. Just tell me. Please tell me that you have the capacity to do such a thought experiment. And that in all your life you have actually had a thought outside of the brainwashing that was given to your from your birth.

Share the results of the thought experiment with us please.

To further the experiment a bit more, pretend that you visit the museum-library 5000 years in the future, and you encounter ancient writings: the Bible. And you read it, and can't understand how this was something people understood 5000 years before and truly believed in. Just like how we read ancient Greek and Roman history and classical literature today about all their Gods and temples and worship that they truly believed in 2000 years ago. What would you really think of those stories in 5000 years?

User avatar
eitech
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2647
Joined: November 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby eitech » May 6th, 2019, 8:55 pm

maj. tom wrote:
eitech wrote:Apologies for hijacking your question but i will loan you my 0.02c : Firstly i understand what ur tryin to mean by “independently” so i will answer in that regard. I prefer the term “unbelievers”. Simple as that.
Secondly, no one lives independently of God. It might seem so to you but he doesn’t wish for anyone to perish and tries to reach out to you in all sorts of ways. But the more you harden ur heart, the more distant you move. God doesn’t hide from man, it’s man who hides from God.
Thirdly, i am pretty sure you don’t believe in unicorns either but i see what you did there. Lol. Your lack of belief in God and unicorns comes from a lack of scientific proof. I”ll support you as far as unicorns go. What unbelievers fail to grasp is that once you exercise that faith FIRST, only then u realise what is the truth. I’ve come to realize it’s so simple yet so complex for the unbeliever.


So just because you don't believe in the Great Crab Baboo in invisible outer space you're an unbeliever. You need to have faith in his delicious curry butter to understand him ok.

Let's do a thought experiment please. Imagine you are born 5000 years in the future. We have such amazing technology and wonders of medicine and science and deep space exploration. All discovered and done by man, through centuries of hard work and our own spilt blood. And in such a time when you were growing up as a child, no one told you about God. Anything you wanted to know, we more or less know how most of the natural world works and could explain almost every observable phenomena with a proper understanding of the basic structure of matter and energy. And your parents tell you everything you need to know, every question your expanding mind wants to understand, because humanity understands a lot more that we know now, down to the limits of probability of entropy.

And no one ever one told you about God.
How do you discover God on your own? How are you going to discover what faith in God is? Not faith in gravity, not faith in the sunrise every morning. Faith in God. That you don't know exists. Just tell me. Please tell me that you have the capacity to do such a thought experiment. And that in all your life you have actually had a thought outside of the brainwashing that was given to your from your birth.

Share the results of the thought experiment with us please.

To further the experiment a bit more, pretend that you visit the museum-library 5000 years in the future, and you encounter ancient writings: the Bible. And you read it, and can't understand how this was something people understood 5000 years before and truly believed in. Just like how we read ancient Greek and Roman history and classical literature today about all their Gods and temples and worship that they truly believed in 2000 years ago. What would you really think of those stories in 5000 years?


Is over 2300 pages, go back and read. If you wanna believe in d curry baboo, go ahead lol

User avatar
maj. tom
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6615
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: watching for Pigs on the Wing.

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby maj. tom » May 6th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Hmm, ok I see. I'm not going to ridicule your awkward went over your head reply because I believe that you actually did try the thought experiment. And you telling me to read the 2300 pages before is one of those typical lame beaten replies people give as a default when they're stuck. Why don't you read them and you would see everything is repeated every 10 pages? You encountered a block in your psychology. It's quite common and ALL of us experience cognitive dissonance at some point over some stuck ideas that we have.

I do hope that you can start a very daring journey of critical analysis of the world around you by continuing such thought experiments.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/cognit ... nance.html

User avatar
eitech
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2647
Joined: November 11th, 2006, 10:03 am

The Religion Discussion

Postby eitech » May 6th, 2019, 10:25 pm

maj. tom wrote:Hmm, ok I see. I'm not going to ridicule your awkward went over your head reply because I believe that you actually did try the thought experiment. And you telling me to read the 2300 pages before is one of those typical lame beaten replies people give as a default when they're stuck. Why don't you read them and you would see everything is repeated every 10 pages? You encountered a block in your psychology. It's quite common and ALL of us experience cognitive dissonance at some point over some stuck ideas that we have.

I do hope that you can start a very daring journey of critical analysis of the world around you by continuing such thought experiments.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/cognit ... nance.html


Haha. Ok curry babooo. Oook. I chose not to beat the same lame explanation over and over as has been done in the last umteen pages. Sorry for not bowing to ur attention deficit. I will say no more

User avatar
maj. tom
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6615
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: watching for Pigs on the Wing.

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby maj. tom » May 6th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Any reason why u are acting like a child now? Can't you just share the results of the original question posed above instead of throwing a tantrum?

Any other takers on the thought experiment?

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1005
Joined: March 2nd, 2005, 10:54 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby Kasey » May 7th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg

FordeG
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 156
Joined: February 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby FordeG » May 7th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Kasey wrote:Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg


If you cannot see the difference between the Bible and a napkin then you deserve hell for your stupidity.

The Bible is a book that billions have and will follow, our entire morality and viewpoint of the model is shaped from the God inspired Bible. We owe almost everything we have to this so called 'fairy' tale.

You all remind me of one of those privildged spoil children, who succeeded in life all on their own. They forget it had anything to do with being rich, going to good schools, prayer to God, their parents sacrifices. No, everything they have now, they 'earned' it and owe none else.

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13789
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby sMASH » May 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Trump win election, and brexit won majority. The nazi party was the most popular party in Germany.

Public support isn't a measure of legitimacy


Ur God cursed a fig tree to die for not having figs to eat. Too petty to be a God.

User avatar
MG Man
2NRholic
Posts: 22410
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 1:31 pm
Location: trying to make a cinco-moti sandwich

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby MG Man » May 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm

FordeG wrote:
Kasey wrote:Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg


If you cannot see the difference between the Koran and a napkin then you deserve hell for your stupidity.

The Koran is a book that billions have and will follow, our entire morality and viewpoint of the model is shaped from the Allah inspired Koran. We owe almost everything we have to this so called 'fairy' tale.

You all remind me of one of those privildged spoil children, who succeeded in life all on their own. They forget it had anything to do with being rich, going to good schools, prayer to Allah, their parents sacrifices. No, everything they have now, they 'earned' it and owe none else.
Last edited by MG Man on May 7th, 2019, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MG Man
2NRholic
Posts: 22410
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 1:31 pm
Location: trying to make a cinco-moti sandwich

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby MG Man » May 7th, 2019, 1:24 pm

FordeG wrote:
Kasey wrote:Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg


If you cannot see the difference between the Bhagavad Gita and a napkin then you deserve hell for your stupidity.

The Bhagavad Gita is a book that billions have and will follow, our entire morality and viewpoint of the model is shaped from the Bramha inspired Bhagavad Gita . We owe almost everything we have to this so called 'fairy' tale.

You all remind me of one of those privildged spoil children, who succeeded in life all on their own. They forget it had anything to do with being rich, going to good schools, prayer to Bramha, their parents sacrifices. No, everything they have now, they 'earned' it and owe none else.
Last edited by MG Man on May 7th, 2019, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11104
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby Dizzy28 » May 7th, 2019, 1:35 pm

FordeG wrote:
Kasey wrote:Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg


If you cannot see the difference between the Bible and a napkin then you deserve hell for your stupidity.

The Bible is a book that billions have and will follow, our entire morality and viewpoint of the model is shaped from the God inspired Bible. We owe almost everything we have to this so called 'fairy' tale.

You all remind me of one of those privildged spoil children, who succeeded in life all on their own. They forget it had anything to do with being rich, going to good schools, prayer to God, their parents sacrifices. No, everything they have now, they 'earned' it and owe none else.


Setting aside the Atheists, agnostics and the like for now there are Billions of Hindus, Buddhists and persons of other non Abrahamic religions? Generally their societies function, they are not running amok killing (any more than Christians, Jews and Muslims) all wily nily and they have lots of thriving individuals - think Lakshmi Mittal, the Ambanis, Ju Yung (Hyundai chaebol) etc.

If it is possible to function as a normal human being with proper morals and ethics without the "book" then that "book" can't be that important to start with

matr1x
punchin NOS
Posts: 3164
Joined: February 25th, 2017, 7:46 am

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby matr1x » May 7th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Whenever religious groups ask for money, I ask why don't they ask God.

Best response I got was, God told them to come to me.


I laughed, shook his hand and closed my gate. What, did he think I was going to give him money?

FordeG
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 156
Joined: February 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby FordeG » May 7th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
FordeG wrote:
Kasey wrote:Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg


If you cannot see the difference between the Bible and a napkin then you deserve hell for your stupidity.

The Bible is a book that billions have and will follow, our entire morality and viewpoint of the model is shaped from the God inspired Bible. We owe almost everything we have to this so called 'fairy' tale.

You all remind me of one of those privildged spoil children, who succeeded in life all on their own. They forget it had anything to do with being rich, going to good schools, prayer to God, their parents sacrifices. No, everything they have now, they 'earned' it and owe none else.


Setting aside the Atheists, agnostics and the like for now there are Billions of Hindus, Buddhists and persons of other non Abrahamic religions? Generally their societies function, they are not running amok killing (any more than Christians, Jews and Muslims) all wily nily and they have lots of thriving individuals - think Lakshmi Mittal, the Ambanis, Ju Yung (Hyundai chaebol) etc.

If it is possible to function as a normal human being with proper morals and ethics without the "book" then that "book" can't be that important to start with


Have you ever seen what goes on in these countries? People have no moral compass, they are corrupt, schemish thrives. God will deal with them, it is funny you brought them up like I'm supposed to 'see' that places can function without Christianity.

Christianity has been the greatest gift to humanity. The evidence is so obvious yet many of you fail to see it.

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11104
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby Dizzy28 » May 7th, 2019, 8:14 pm

FordeG wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
FordeG wrote:
Kasey wrote:Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg


If you cannot see the difference between the Bible and a napkin then you deserve hell for your stupidity.

The Bible is a book that billions have and will follow, our entire morality and viewpoint of the model is shaped from the God inspired Bible. We owe almost everything we have to this so called 'fairy' tale.

You all remind me of one of those privildged spoil children, who succeeded in life all on their own. They forget it had anything to do with being rich, going to good schools, prayer to God, their parents sacrifices. No, everything they have now, they 'earned' it and owe none else.


Setting aside the Atheists, agnostics and the like for now there are Billions of Hindus, Buddhists and persons of other non Abrahamic religions? Generally their societies function, they are not running amok killing (any more than Christians, Jews and Muslims) all wily nily and they have lots of thriving individuals - think Lakshmi Mittal, the Ambanis, Ju Yung (Hyundai chaebol) etc.

If it is possible to function as a normal human being with proper morals and ethics without the "book" then that "book" can't be that important to start with


Have you ever seen what goes on in these countries? People have no moral compass, they are corrupt, schemish thrives. God will deal with them, it is funny you brought them up like I'm supposed to 'see' that places can function without Christianity.

Christianity has been the greatest gift to humanity. The evidence is so obvious yet many of you fail to see it.
Christianty has probably done more to keep back human progress in the past thousand years than anything else. Think crusades, inquisition, papal sanctioned colonization and genocide of native populations.

Galileo had to lie and do his experiments. That is your master ideology?

apole69
Street 2NR
Posts: 52
Joined: February 20th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby apole69 » May 7th, 2019, 8:24 pm

FordeG wrote:
Kasey wrote:Its how the fanatics respond when they cant properly articulate a sensible response. Name calling, attacking personality traits, and saying, "go back and read".

Circular logic: the bible says its right, so it has to be right.

napkin.jpg


If you cannot see the difference between the Bible and a napkin then you deserve hell for your stupidity.

The Bible is a book that billions have and will follow, our entire morality and viewpoint of the model is shaped from the God inspired Bible. We owe almost everything we have to this so called 'fairy' tale.

You all remind me of one of those privildged spoil children, who succeeded in life all on their own. They forget it had anything to do with being rich, going to good schools, prayer to God, their parents sacrifices. No, everything they have now, they 'earned' it and owe none else.

The "Holy Bible "condones Slavery .It describes how to treat your slave including how to punish them! It's ironic that we cherish the coloniser's tool which was used to strip us of our humanity.
Some sort of sick Stockholm's syndrome.

matr1x
punchin NOS
Posts: 3164
Joined: February 25th, 2017, 7:46 am

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby matr1x » May 7th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Christianity is as much a gift as "rape in a box".



I mean racism, slavery...all fully sanctioned by the bible. But maybe he condones child molesters since they priesthood is full of them

FordeG
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 156
Joined: February 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby FordeG » May 7th, 2019, 8:42 pm

You all haven't read the Bible. There is not evil condoned by God.

Also I was saying a 17 year old is not a child, she is a fully developed woman. Only our legal system makes them a minor, at that age they not stupid trust me. To think having sex with a conscenting 17 year old is rape is ludicrous. It's immoral, but let's use the word rape correctly please.

User avatar
MG Man
2NRholic
Posts: 22410
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 1:31 pm
Location: trying to make a cinco-moti sandwich

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby MG Man » May 7th, 2019, 11:54 pm

FordeG wrote:You all haven't read the Bible. There is not evil condoned by God.

Also I was saying a 17 year old is not a child, she is a fully developed woman. Only our legal system makes them a minor, at that age they not stupid trust me. To think having sex with a conscenting 17 year old is rape is ludicrous. It's immoral, but let's use the word rape correctly please.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
clearly you haven't

User avatar
Slartibartfast
punchin NOS
Posts: 4583
Joined: May 15th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Location: Magrathea

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby Slartibartfast » May 8th, 2019, 12:10 am

eitech wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
bluefete wrote:Atheism, by definition, is a religious view.

Religion comes from the Latin word - religare - (re-back; ligare - to bind).

This means that one is bound to one's belief which guide one's actions.

Religion includes the belief that there is no supernatural realm.

Isaac Asimov - was an atheist "who believed that the universe is comprehensible within the bounds of natural law."

Does it not take belief to believe that the universe started with a big bang? Was anyone of us there to see it? If we were not, why do so many people believe what we never saw? Evidence and proof.

MGMan: Isn't that much like believing in God? Where is the non-circumstantial evidence and proof for God?


Quick question bluefete.... what word/s would you use to describe someone that lives independently of God?
Secular/ secularist?
Humanist?
Secular humanist?

I only ask because I find that a lot of the arguments about Atheism stem from semantics instead of the actual belief/ lack thereof.

So, let's say that God has as much of an impact on me as unicorns have on you. I don't believe that God exists and you (correct me if I am wrong) don't believe that unicorns exist. I don't attribute any importance to God and you (again correct me if I am wrong) don't attribute any importance to unicorns. I live my life completely independent of God and you (I hope) live your life completely independent of unicorns. My morality is not based off God and your morality is (sadly) not based of unicorns. I may think about God from time to time and you (really should) probably think about unicorns as well but God and the idea of God is ultimately of no consequence to me and unicorns (again correct me if I am wrong) are of no consequence to you.

Now how would you describe my lack of a belief in God in a way that is comparable to your lack of belief in unicorns? If unicorn is a bad example you can replace it with something else more misaligned to your beliefs.



Apologies for hijacking your question but i will loan you my 0.02c : Firstly i understand what ur tryin to mean by “independently” so i will answer in that regard. I prefer the term “unbelievers”. Simple as that.
Secondly, no one lives independently of God. It might seem so to you but he doesn’t wish for anyone to perish and tries to reach out to you in all sorts of ways. But the more you harden ur heart, the more distant you move. God doesn’t hide from man, it’s man who hides from God.
Thirdly, i am pretty sure you don’t believe in unicorns either but i see what you did there. Lol. Your lack of belief in God and unicorns comes from a lack of scientific proof. I”ll support you as far as unicorns go. What unbelievers fail to grasp is that once you exercise that faith FIRST, only then u realise what is the truth. I’ve come to realize it’s so simple yet so complex for the unbeliever.


Unbeliever is an ok word I guess, just really vague. According to your description though it appears that God cannot live indepedently of me (and by extention man). This goes against your intended meaning but ironically unintentionally makes sense to me.

Also, although the lack of belief is due to lack of scientific proof, there are also many personal and philosophical benefits that I have experienced since leaving the faith. I used to be deeply religious, even contemplated becoming a priest at one point. I have found life much more rewarding and fullfilling since I gave up that idea and decided to live a secular life. We can get into that if you are interested.

As far as faith goes, I believe that faith is nothing more than a willful self induced placebo. I used to be very anti-religious after leaving the church but I've found myself becomming more tolerant recently after rebuilding myself independent of the teachings of the church (again, I don't mind going more in depth if you are interested).

In short, I have zero faith and zero belief in religion and God. However, I am not anti religious as I once was as I have come to recognise that good and bad are perpetuated by people regardless of their belief or non-belief. There are atheists that I will cringe to be associated with and priest that to this day I still hold in the highest regard and trust 100%. There are also priests that pedophiles and atheists that I admire.

My main issue is with anyone that claims that they have a monopoly on truth and that their truth is non-falsifiable. That always leads to ignorance before long.

FordeG
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 156
Joined: February 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby FordeG » May 8th, 2019, 1:29 am

Just throwing it out there, Christians believe (myself included) that Jesus is the only way to salvation. This is why, we often come across as hard-line. But, when you have our faith and you know it is the true path, we are forcing our beliefs to save you. Please understand we want you to go to heaven.

Also, I will get flack for this I'm sure, but I don't see this debate as a religion vs atheist debate.

Being a Hindu to me, is even worse than being a non believer because you're opposing God's wishes even more. Might as well pray to Satan.

User avatar
De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12091
Joined: January 27th, 2004, 3:49 am
Location: Enjoying my little miracles............

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby De Dragon » May 8th, 2019, 5:50 am

FordeG wrote:Just throwing it out there, Christians believe (myself included) that Jesus is the only way to salvation. This is why, we often come across as hard-line. But, when you have our faith and you know it is the true path, we are forcing our beliefs to save you. Please understand we want you to go to heaven.

Also, I will get flack for this I'm sure, but I don't see this debate as a religion vs atheist debate.

Being a Hindu to me, is even worse than being a non believer because you're opposing God's wishes even more. Might as well pray to Satan.

You're a fool. If, you have your faith, and it is so strong as you claim, then why worry about others who according to you "pray to Satan?" Are you so insecure in your beliefs that you have to demonize (literally in this case) someones else's?

matr1x
punchin NOS
Posts: 3164
Joined: February 25th, 2017, 7:46 am

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby matr1x » May 8th, 2019, 6:06 am

FordeG wrote:Just throwing it out there, Christians believe (myself included) that Jesus is the only way to salvation. This is why, we often come across as hard-line. But, when you have our faith and you know it is the true path, we are forcing our beliefs to save you. Please understand we want you to go to heaven.

Also, I will get flack for this I'm sure, but I don't see this debate as a religion vs atheist debate.

Being a Hindu to me, is even worse than being a non believer because you're opposing God's wishes even more. Might as well pray to Satan.



And? You have proof satan bad?

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11104
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby Dizzy28 » May 8th, 2019, 6:54 am

^^^Your not only illogical but also a bigot. How do you treat co workers who are Hindu if you have this distaste for them so?

User avatar
zoom rader
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 19038
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 12:39 pm
Location: Grand Cayman

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby zoom rader » May 8th, 2019, 7:36 am

FordeG wrote:Just throwing it out there, Christians believe (myself included) that Jesus is the only way to salvation. This is why, we often come across as hard-line. But, when you have our faith and you know it is the true path, we are forcing our beliefs to save you. Please understand we want you to go to heaven.

Also, I will get flack for this I'm sure, but I don't see this debate as a religion vs atheist debate.

Being a Hindu to me, is even worse than being a non believer because you're opposing God's wishes even more. Might as well pray to Satan.
Dizzy28 wrote:^^^Your not only illogical but also a bigot. How do you treat co workers who are Hindu if you have this distaste for them so?
Bro PNM ppl see all Hindus as idols and devil worship. Once you look injun then you Hindu and UNC .

They are ingronant

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dohplaydat, Google Adsense [Bot], maj. tom and 71 guests