Forums

Energy Sector Thread - Operators, Engineers, Technicians Et Al

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Plant Process Operator Job

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2017, 10:45 pm

they need to talk to the union for the particulars... i only connecting the dots whit what i overhear....

contact the dirty dozen.... or take ur vsep, or wait it out.

the reason to number cut is because of the mothballing. last year was the mothballing of the ay you emm too .
u hadda remember, since 2012 the germs bought some plants in 'meria as pilot projects. and because of the shale gas and the canadian pipelines, the raw materials are readily available in 'merica. so why produce it here, and pay a crap tonne in shipping, when they have the natural reserves already where they need to sell their product.?
the supervisors and seniors didn't go kansas to commission sweety plants......

the union, when envisioned since 2010, wasn't to negotiate salary and make people get fat. no. it was to establish a collective agreement, for WHEN THIS TIME HERE REACH, to not come out with the bare minimum, as they did us last year.

my fadda worked permanently in mittal for 5 years as a plant attendant, and i worked for 13 years and left as a senior, and we got practically the same pay offs...

but, no.. they fraid wills watch them hard, so they aint full out no union forms...

blasted cowards.

sinister_14
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sinister_14 » March 4th, 2017, 11:42 pm

Word on da estate is that after this wave on the 13th, another wave to hit in june due to raw material problem for the 3rd of M...then 2018 a complex is gonna be down for the same reason germz playing hardball. Many blue boiz gonna be on the bread line, as for the first wave it seem as if the 1st and 2nd of the M workers have to take the hit due to pending court cases from the dirty dozen, WORKERS FROM RUNNING PLANT WILL HAVE SOLID CASES AGAINST management if sent home and workers from 1&2 plant replaces them, IT WILL NEVER STAND IN COURT...management get wise if u notice no one from 1&2 plant has been cross trained on other plant. NOTICE before mel close down guys were distributed and trained on other plant... 8-)

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » March 4th, 2017, 11:52 pm

Hold strain vene gas coming soon..
I member the time wills drive thru the plant in he Suv normal normal lol.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2017, 11:54 pm

hadda change from eating curry duck to duck curry...lolz

sinister_14
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sinister_14 » March 5th, 2017, 12:00 am

Curtms wrote:Hold strain vene gas coming soon..
I member the time wills drive thru the plant in he Suv normal normal lol.

Hold strain....men done sheit themselves...men wok jumping up and all management did was keep the sheep clam until they ready to get slaughter...ruff time to be an estate worker...

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » March 5th, 2017, 12:03 am

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 5th, 2017, 12:11 am

^^^^^

sinister_14
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sinister_14 » March 5th, 2017, 12:14 am

so anyone knows if the dirty dozen will win their cases against management....???...cause it was said SL and KPI are not reasons for workers to be retrench..once their plant are in production...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 5th, 2017, 1:50 am

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2017-03-04/methanol-holdings-closes-two-plants-offers-vsep-workers
guardian wrote:
Anthony Wilson
Published:
Sunday, March 5, 2017

About a year after Caribbean Ispat closed its iron and steel facility on the Point Lisas Industrial Estate, Methanol Holdings Trinidad Ltd confirmed yesterday that it is mothballing two of its five methanol plants on the estate and offering voluntary separation packages to dozens of workers.

A spokesman for MHTL said “Negotiations over the last five years with NGC to supply sufficient gas to operate all our plants have to date been unsuccessful.

“Even after exhaustive negotiations and exploring possible supply alternatives, unfortunately, we now have no option but to close two of our plants.

“MHTL deeply regrets the negative impact this will have on its work force.”

The announcement was made at a meeting on Friday afternoon between workers and the operator of the methanol complex, Industrial Plant Services Ltd (IPSL).

One of the workers who attended the meeting told the Sunday Guardian that about 100 employees are going to be separated, but the spokesman said he could not confirm that number.

The company’s five methanol plants situated on the Point Lisas Industrial Estate in Trinidad have a combined annual production capacity of 4.1 million tonnes.

MHTL was once majority owned by CL Financial, the massive local conglomerate that collapsed in January 2009 under the chairmanship of former billionaire, 83-year-old Lawrence Duprey.

CL Financial and its insurance subsidiary, Clico, were forced to sell their 56 per cent stake in the petrochemical complex to MHTL’s minority shareholders for US$1.175 billion in 2014, following the outcome of a bitter international arbitration battle in London.

The arbitration battle has left Proman, a Switzerland-headquartered company, as the majority shareholder of the complex.

MHTL, like many other petrochemical plants at Point Lisas, has been impacted by natural gas shortages (called gas curtailment) over the last five years.

The shortages have been caused by declining gas production at T&T’s offshore gas fields, which are dominated by global multinationals Shell, BP and BHP Billiton.

MHTL brings together production in Trinidad with a global supply chain that includes storage facilities in key global locations and a vessel fleet of 12 chemical tankers.

MHTL diversified its operations in 2010 with the start-up of its AUM operations on the estate, producing annually 647,500 tonnes of Ammonia for use as feedstock for its downstream operations which comprise a UAN plant producing 1,483,500 tonnes of UAN (42 per cent) solution and two ]Melamine plants with a combined capacity of 60,000 tonnes of melamine.

caglowe
3NE 2NR for life

Postby caglowe » March 5th, 2017, 4:27 am

Wow sad news indeed

4a70
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 4a70 » March 5th, 2017, 8:14 am

Well its hit the press soooo

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2017-03- ... ep-workers

Knowing the managment they try a smart shot and send ppl home. And it would end in court as all there dismissals do.

But am i the only one observing that the one company that had been taken over against the will of the trinidad government is the one suffering this much? Could this be a strong hand tactic to force the current owners out of town? These guys have the resources however to chop up and relocate so idk how this would play out......

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » March 5th, 2017, 8:36 am

What about N200 or CNC?

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » March 5th, 2017, 8:38 am

Actually I'm not really surprised by this. The Germans just want to make back thier investment at any means necessary. There was always skeleton crew in most departments so if they had to fire more people the plant would need to shut down. Plus if you look at the age and condition of some of these plants especially M1 it is probably best they shut it down and salvage what they can. Besides M5 is the real money making plant anyways.
Strange thing is that I remember a meeting management had with staff saying that they would rather shutdown the plant temporarily and move the workers to the other existing plants than have to fire people. Guess that changed...

Feel for them workers though, had a good bit of friends working there...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 5th, 2017, 9:23 am

sniper2000. pm made the round shedding doom and gloom in there over this week end, there. the only thing is, with they shareholding being different, is up to them to decide what they want. the thing is the koch bros ARE american, to it is in their favor to have all more expensive production move to america... so i predict in the coming years they will lock their gates too.

dont mind the turn arounds.. those things are just like changing oil and brakes pads.. u hadda do it when u hadda do it, even though u might be selling the car.

4a70 the germs already have interests in america... so why fight up with high prices locally? they tried to get it as low as they could, and they didnt so just winding down operations. i wouldn't be surprised if they do this same thing next year.

vaiostation the local peeps would not be in any decision making capacity.. they just take the news and pass it on as they get it. is shultz and them calling the big shots.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » March 5th, 2017, 10:02 am

sad sad times

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » March 5th, 2017, 11:42 am

tr1ad wrote:sad sad times

very ... sad .. feeling it for some friends

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » March 5th, 2017, 12:37 pm

A friend is mines who is a plant supt their actually told me that they were going to do this march as it's one year since the last cut due to some laws somthing like that he was explaining, they had also called for appraisals for workers....sad to know work is so hard and ppl getting cuts.

sinister_14
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sinister_14 » March 5th, 2017, 1:30 pm

I think that the germz are looking for a buy out...

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 5th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Rough times all about the place...I'm not an estate worker but my question is how much more these workers can handle sure many of em have families and mortgages to see about..sorry to hear these news

sinister_14
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sinister_14 » March 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Well the government has a big part to play in this game of monopoly that they are playing with the germz and they refuse to lower gas prices and give them better contracts. Now the people have to suffer...they choose to sell all natural resources to Atlantic than supply gas to the estate..trinidad is goin down the drain and the rottweiler just sit in his dog house and do nun about it...ppl in trinidad to stupid they should shut down the country and force the government to make better decision so the ppl cud benefit and not the government and their padnas..but everyone just decide to sit back and say WAH WE GO DO....this country in a mess because of both admin...they all choose to steal and fatten their pockets...while all of us suffer...these bandits for politiciation we have here should work for minimum wage, if the average person cud work for that and survive they should too..ITs about time we see all government officials who are criminals of theft be JAILED and strip of all their assets....wake up ppl please....

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 6th, 2017, 8:22 pm

the methanol plants have the legacy names, ttmc, cmc, ttmc2 trinidad and tobago methanol compay, 1 and 2, and carribbean methanol company. that was before the the separate foreign shareholders formed a single body CEL consolidated energy limited, which formed another shareholding body with the locals, named MHTL....

... if i remember correctly.

i think the former energy minister had this history of events in mind when saying that more could be done.
especially seeing as one of u pointed out that it seems as though the germz are playing for buyout.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 6th, 2017, 8:35 pm

So tomorrow vseps will be offered. The deadline for those who wish to accept is the 13th. From the 14th, they will be making up the balance, depending on who accepted vseps, aka retrench in effect. However they said that u can be denied if u apply for vsep as well, depends on ur job position

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 6th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Sad sad day for the energy industry and Point Lisas.

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » March 6th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I'm not really sure whose is in the wrong here, I mean the germz own the methanol plants and they desire to run the plants, however due to the gas issues they can't. When I was there some of the plants could only run at half rates and that is after shutting down probably 1 or 2 of the plants and sending thier capacity to the remaining plants. This was going on for to long... Plus the gas shortage is one thing, but remember that your equipment such as the reformer needs to operate under certain conditions otherwise the equipment will be damaged, so i kinda see where management is coming from.

Plus apparently Atlantic does get first preference over de estate, and even them does hadda run half rates sometimes too. Honestly the government needs to make a decision when it comes to Atlantic cause de rate it going Atlantic is probably de only one who kinda benefiting at the expense of estate companies.. I mean they're basically sucking up the gas, liquifying it, nothing else, Atlantic have four massive trains to do just that. I mean it started with one train, then two trains, then a third one, an now we have a forth one. Maybe they should have stopped at 3 plants and give another company a bligh or save some gas for the future. Yes its extremely profitable, but you don't want to rely on only one company for your income, when workers suffer in the rest of the plants in point Lisa's.

But getting back to the topic, it's easy to put the blame on the germz, I personally don't like them or even Wilson for the matter but I think they have no other choice. I feel for my soldiers in de estate but it's the eat ah food mentality from the politicians that have us here today...

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 6th, 2017, 9:26 pm

^^^ NGC real sickening these days with gas curtailments. I really thought that when I was in the methanol industry, that I'd retire there because the culture was so great. I mean the money wasn't on par, but you couldn't beat the work experience then.

phreakazoid
Trinituner Peong

Postby phreakazoid » March 6th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Everyone knows that juniper will come onstream soon and help with the gas shortage problem.... There is more that meets the eye I gather.... Why can't they hold again for a few more months?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 6th, 2017, 9:36 pm

im all for saving the gas for the future... i always thought that the atlantic lng was just giving away a precious non renewable resource.. at least with methanol u got a lot of money for that precious resource.

we should look more to wards the direction of the AUM, and avenues like that... down stream products using the amonia and methanol, and manufacture products based on those down stream products.
instead of making large amounts of ammonia and methanol, probably should reduce to just the 5000 and one other efficient plant. and just keep the aum upstream, and maybe the n2k.

then what would happen to those workers of the other mothballed plants?

develop the down stream smaller complexes like the aum, but for other chemicals, and redeploy them there.

if someone wants a spot sale of ammonia and methanol, u can sell it and make use of the unusual high price.
but the main intent should be local diversification.

that would take a lot of entrepreneurial foresight, that no one in the government has the competency to undertake. and it would take more than the rotating door 5 year ministerial term to get it going. especially as they take 1 year just to learn where the pencils are.

the world of supply and demand is changed from when those plants were conceived. we need to divert and divest inorder not to continue down this road to irrelevancy

sinister_14
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sinister_14 » March 6th, 2017, 10:01 pm

So they say gas shortage rite..???..so how come the methanol plant in la brea got a 25year gas contract..??..where they getting gas for them..??...there is more to this...let just say the rightful owner of the plants is back in the country and he wants his plants back....after the government bail him out the last time he was here...so in a few months those plants are going to be restarted by him cause its magically going to have gas to run the plants...check mate...its all a game the government playing with the germz...cause the germz have there oilfields and was denied access to run there pipeline to supply their plant cause this dupps want he plant.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » March 6th, 2017, 10:26 pm

train 4 might be going down soon eh... all the trains running at reduced capacity even though they have the preference....

as for MHI.... well that would tie into the planned NUI from off of Pt Lisas and the vene deal....(the latter has no funding .. yet)

just all part of the plan

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 7th, 2017, 4:26 am

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2017-03-07/pm-govt-looking-mhtl-situation

guardian wrote:
Gail Alexander
Rosemarie Sant
Published:
Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Government is working on “other developments” regarding workers of the Methanol Holdings Trinidad Ltd (MHTL) if it comes to a point when the company cannot carry workers, as it appears, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said yesterday. He said hopefully that “development” will bear fruit.

He made the comment in Parliament as he answered questions relating to an exclusive Sunday Guardian story about the closure of two MHTL methanol plants over the weekend, saying Government was trying to prevent losses at Pt Lisas.

Rowley said he did not have a figure for the number of workers affected since the company hasn’t reported the situation to Government. But he said the matter had been facing T&T for since late last year and Government had tried to get the company to avoid it, “but it appears it cannot be carried any more.”

He said the reason for the closure of the two out of MHTL’s five plants was a shortage of gas. He said two had to be shut down so that the other three could continue.

Rowley said in 2009 the state was aware of gas shortage issues, but nothing was done even up to 2014. He said the Juniper platform is aiming to provide gas in 2018, but T&T was still “behind the eight ball.” Government, he said, was trying to provide gas from in T&T or outside.”

Commenting on the issue yesterday, former energy minister Conrad Enill said the closure of plants was “a worrying development, and signals that if companies cannot get gas there will be more of this to come in the future.”

Another former energy minister, Kevin Ramnarine, said he fears “there will be a contagion effect, with other companies in Point Lisas entertaining similar thoughts.”

He is of the view that “Government must intervene in negotiations between MHTL and the National Gas Company to keep the plants going and save jobs.”

The National Gas Company, in a statement yesterday, said MHTL had contracts that had expired, but notwithstanding this NGC “continues to supply MHTL with as much gas as is available from upstreamers given the prevailing gas supply environment.”

A spokesman for MHTL told the Sunday Guardian: “Negotiations over the last five years with NGC to supply sufficient gas to operate all our plants have to date been unsuccessful. Even after exhaustive negotiations and exploring possible supply alternatives, unfortunately, we now have no option but to close two of our plants.”

Yesterday, NGC told the T&T Guardian that in the current environment of gas curtailments, contractual priority must be accorded to downstream companies with existing contracts. It said: “Failure to honour these contracts will expose NGC to onerous consequences, including claims and penalties for breach of contract.” NGC said it would “continue to act fairly, reasonably and in good faith towards MHTL, and to negotiate terms that are beneficial to MHTL, NGC and the people of Trinidad and Tobago.”

Enill said: “The National Gas Company needs to tell the country what is the situation with the supply of natural gas. We knew there would have been challenges but we did not think it would be long term.”

He said Government needs to decide by policy how to address the issue, adding the unfortunate thing is that there has been unease’ in the sector because there is no information on a policy plan.

Both Enill and Ramnarine have raised questions about what has become of the Gas Master plan. Enill said the plan will outline “how much gas is available and how it will be used. The plan needs to be rolled out so that the energy sector has some direction.”

Ramnarine said “the plan was completed in 2015 and on assuming office the People’s National Movement decided they wanted to review it. It is now eighteen months!”

Efforts to contact acting Energy Minister Colm Imbert were unsuccessful yesterday.

But the Ministry of Energy’s website indicated that the plan is before the Cabinet for review. It said Government initiatives to support the industry will be revealed in the new Natural Gas Master Plan.

since last year 75 of us were let go, without even the numbers being in any reports when companies were shedding workers...
how long they expect to be looking?

clue-less.. but was expected.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”