TriniTuner 24-7

Re: *** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

Postby X_Factor » February 15th, 2015, 3:53 pm

^having the same error sometimes as well while posting pics

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » February 15th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Building a gaming/home theater room. Room is about 14x14.

Gonna be putting a Wall Mounted TV
Haven't made up my mind if I'm doing 5.1 or 7.1.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
Brb trying to read thru thread...

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 15th, 2015, 10:39 pm

X_Factor wrote:^ 2 things
1) apart from a seperate processor --outlaw, emotiva
whats the latest receiver with pre-outs for the 5.1/7.1/2 mix?
not really seeing any atm..
why pre-outs? you don't want to use the amp on the receiver?

X_Factor wrote:2) is 5k a good price for a pair of used RF 82's ( one owner, had it in a 2.1 more audiophile set up)
what kind of condition?

Is it the 82 or the 82 II?
It's US$800 per pair for the RF-82 II on Amazon

most people say they sound the same, though Klipsch claims they used better materials and crossovers on the II

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 15th, 2015, 10:46 pm

yeah, eventually i will wanna run an external amp but u hardly see receivers with pre-outs any more

i saw pics and they looked pretty good but u never know what the condition will be in person
the 82 not the 82II

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 15th, 2015, 10:57 pm

X_Factor wrote:yeah, eventually i will wanna run an external amp but u hardly see receivers with pre-outs any more
Receivers today are made mainly for movie watching and so they work well with their own amplifiers with most 5.1 setups for that purpose.

I think most audiophiles stay away from HT receivers and go for stereo receivers that depend on external amps

I'm currently looking at this for a small setup in the office. It has 2.1 pre-outs
Marantz NR1403
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages ... tId=NR1403

X_Factor wrote:i saw pics and they looked pretty good but u never know what the condition will be in person
the 82 not the 82II
people on ebay are calling crazy prices for the 82 and 82II so it's hard to tell what they go for used.

consider the hassle you will have to go through if you order new, sea freight, customs etc - the TT$5k might be worth it!

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 15th, 2015, 11:04 pm

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 16th, 2015, 12:20 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
X_Factor wrote:yeah, eventually i will wanna run an external amp but u hardly see receivers with pre-outs any more
Receivers today are made mainly for movie watching and so they work well with their own amplifiers with most 5.1 setups for that purpose.

I think most audiophiles stay away from HT receivers and go for stereo receivers that depend on external amps

I'm currently looking at this for a small setup in the office. It has 2.1 pre-outs
Marantz NR1403
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages ... tId=NR1403

nice, kinda on the pricey side for a "small set up"

what speakers u considering?

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » February 16th, 2015, 5:28 am

i saw pics and they looked pretty good but u never know what the condition will be in person
the 82 not the 82II

Rf82's for that price is a steal once it's in good condition. Even at sea freight you might end up paying close to 10k after custom duties and vat.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 17th, 2015, 6:46 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:get the Roku 3 now if you can.

Duane, would u say that the Roku can replace cable to a certain extent?

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » February 17th, 2015, 6:53 am

Dave wrote:

Was planning to ask this very thing...

Cable's SD video makes owning big HD tv quite distressing and seems like a waste.

I'm so ready to "Get rid of cable".

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » February 17th, 2015, 7:10 am

Same here....I'm interested in the cost comparisons

IMHO basic cable here with movies and Netflix and or Amazon means you would have plenty content but also save a bundle...

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » February 17th, 2015, 7:13 am

^ it can to a extent guys. Once you have a Hulu plus and Netflix subscription you should be good to go. Or just pay for a good newsgroup subscription and have sickbeard on a HTPC and tv shows get downloaded, organized and renamed directly to xbmc folders without you having to do anything. Just wake up and watch last nights episode of whatever you want.

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » February 17th, 2015, 7:57 am

wheelbarrow wrote:Building a gaming/home theater room. Room is about 14x14.

If you're building the room from scratch wire it for 7.1 one time. Not going to cost you much and you'll have the option of using it. When looking at a receiver get the best you can afford at the moment. Even if you're not using 7.2 you can get a zone B from the extra channels or bi amp you mains.

My 2¢

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 17th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Anton wrote:

If you're building the room from scratch wire it for 7.1 one time. Not going to cost you much and you'll have the option of using it. When looking at a receiver get the best you can afford at the moment. Even if you're not using 7.2 you can get a zone B from the extra channels or bi amp you mains.

My 2¢
good advice IMO

I'd use 2" conduit or large trunking for the in-wall section between the TV and the media center. Remember you have to fit plugs through there.

My rule of thumb: the height of the wall mounted TV is where the center of the TV should be the height of your eyes when you are sitting. The front left and right speakers tweeter should be at the height of your ears when you are sitting. The height of the rear speakers tweeters should be the height of your ears when you are standing. The center channel should be the height of your ears when you sitting but that would put it in the middle of the TV so just below the TV or just above it should be fine. Surround speakers should be at the side of you and slightly behind you, not at the back of you.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 17th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Morpheus wrote:
Dave wrote:

Was planning to ask this very thing...

Cable's SD video makes owning big HD tv quite distressing and seems like a waste.

I'm so ready to "Get rid of cable".
If you have a receiver that upscales the SD content to 1080p or 720p it won't seem that bad

I won't say it can completely replace cable because you still need a way to get local channels esp the those that are not free-to-air.

But it can depending on your requirements. It's not free though.

I have a Roku 3 and for FREE you get aggregated news from multiple sources easily, PBS, PBS Kids, CNET, Smithsonian etc etc
https://www.roku.com/channels#!browse/most-watched

On the Roku I currently pay for the following:

Netflix US$7.99/mo- older movies and TV series (Netflix now has their own new TV series like Marco Polo)

Hulu Plus US$7.99/mo - New and old TV series (has just about everything except Big Bang Theory)

Plex US$4.99 - This might seem like overkill but if you run Plex server on your PC attached to the same network as your Roku, phone or tablet then you can stream movies that you download to your TV, phone or tablet and it organises it with movie posters, ratings, actors, reviews etc and it also has features similar to XBMC for accessing US based channels.

USTVNOW US$19/mo up to $99/mo depending on what channels you want. This is the closest to actual cable. There is a TV guide and you watch LIVE streaming Tv with US ads exactly as the US cable providers show it and always in english. This is not pre-recorded, this is LIVE TV. It is in HD and you can rewind and pause. Catch a show half way through the show, no problem, just rewind to the beginning and watch from there. You can also record future shows just like a DVR for $10/mo more.
The $99/mo package includes HBO etc. I pay for the $19/mo package currently.

The channel lineup is limited but they keep adding new ones as they get licensing I guess. Another option I have to look into is Sling TV

All of these are apps that run on the Roku 3 and are 100% legal, non pirated (except for the XBMC-type part of PLEX).

Check this too http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-roku-c ... -2133.html

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 18th, 2015, 8:03 am

I am thinking along the same lines as a previous tuner... I myself would have gone a bit further. Altho not offered on any soundtracks as yet, there are quite a couple of systems that are 11.2. And now there's Dolby Atmos.

I was planning a media room rebuild (about the same size as yours), but then my wife and I decided that it was more effective and cheaper to do over our existing TV room into a media room. That was wired for 7.2 but currently I am running 7.1. Would add the extra sub this year to complete the 7.2. Anyhow my plans for my media room were based on 11.4 wiring but initially I would have started as 7.1 and later upgrade the system.

My suggestion is to plan the room for 11.2 and possibly Dolby Atoms. Its not gonna cost much right now as you can place the spare cans in the wall, stuff them with old cement bags, plaster over them and then dig them out when you are ready later.

One tip though.... Plan, Plan and Plan properly. Make sure you know exactly where your TV is going and your rack too. Also, it would also be a good idea to know what furniture you are getting too. All of this will help you to locate the where your gear will be spotted. And on the gear - make sure you have an idea on your choice of receiver/amp and speakers.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 18th, 2015, 9:25 am

For those looking for speakers, don't forget to check the paradigm brand. there is a local dealer and prices are reasonable.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 18th, 2015, 9:35 am

carluva wrote:

I am thinking along the same lines as a previous tuner... I myself would have gone a bit further. Altho not offered on any soundtracks as yet, there are quite a couple of systems that are 11.2. And now there's Dolby Atmos.

I was planning a media room rebuild (about the same size as yours), but then my wife and I decided that it was more effective and cheaper to do over our existing TV room into a media room. That was wired for 7.2 but currently I am running 7.1. Would add the extra sub this year to complete the 7.2. Anyhow my plans for my media room were based on 11.4 wiring but initially I would have started as 7.1 and later upgrade the system.

My suggestion is to plan the room for 11.2 and possibly Dolby Atoms. Its not gonna cost much right now as you can place the spare cans in the wall, stuff them with old cement bags, plaster over them and then dig them out when you are ready later.

One tip though.... Plan, Plan and Plan properly. Make sure you know exactly where your TV is going and your rack too. Also, it would also be a good idea to know what furniture you are getting too. All of this will help you to locate the where your gear will be spotted. And on the gear - make sure you have an idea on your choice of receiver/amp and speakers.
nice! What speakers and receiver do you have on your 7.1 setup?

11.4 might be overkill in a 14x14 room IMO

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » February 18th, 2015, 9:52 am

Thanks for the advice fellas.
I will pipe it out for 7.1 and I hadda agree with Duane 11 channels seems kinda overboard for such a small room.

I will also upgrade the pipes from rack to ceiling to 2"

Keep the advice/suggestions coming!

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 18th, 2015, 11:17 am

wheelbarrow wrote:Thanks for the advice fellas.
I will pipe it out for 7.1 and I hadda agree with Duane 11 channels seems kinda overboard for such a small room.

I think for a room that size 7.1 with speaker placement for Dolby ProLogic IIz is the most you can do. IIz adds front height channels and many new receivers come with it.

in the second photo, is that the surrounds?
if so how come one is on the side wall and the other is on the back wall?
where is the main seating going?
Can you post a floor plan of the room?

turboturnsmeon2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby turboturnsmeon2 » February 18th, 2015, 11:54 am

does anyone have a damaged yamaha RX V675 ? i need a working operations board.

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » February 18th, 2015, 12:39 pm

How did yours get damaged if you don't mind me asking?

turboturnsmeon2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby turboturnsmeon2 » February 18th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Reciever fell and the circuit board got cracked. I soldered the part that are visibally bamaged and the unit switches on but doesnt operate for a long period, maybe 30min.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 18th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
carluva wrote:

@duane - I have 4 deftech promonitor 1000, deftech pro center 2000, deftech sr8040bp and supercube 2000. It's being driven by a denon avrx4000.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 18th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
wheelbarrow wrote:Thanks for the advice fellas.

I think for a room that size 7.1 with speaker placement for Dolby ProLogic IIz is the most you can do. IIz adds front height channels and many new receivers come with it.

in the second photo, is that the surrounds?
if so how come one is on the side wall and the other is on the back wall?
where is the main seating going?
Can you post a floor plan of the room?

In addition to the dolby pro logic iiz I think u need to look at audyssey which is what my receiver has. The audyssey offers different variations of the 7.1 and will calibrate the room accordingly. Compared to my previous yamaha receiver (dolby iiz) which had the ypao, the audyssey calibration is by farrrrr superior and measures up to eight points vs ypao which only measures one. The audyssey is flexible and offers, in order of preference, front wides, front heights and surround backs.

@ wheelbarrow what receiver u had in mind? I agree with Duane... Post some more pics and we'll give u some more tips. I love this and will be glad to give my two cents... Oh yeah and be sure to at least wire a second sub cause you will only think bigger once u start this... This is my hobby and my wife and kids love it!!!! And by far a better hobby than drinking and liming too and probably cheaper as well. And one last tip dude... Don't forget juice ie electricity. My advice is to wire a dedicated mains panel or a sub panel off your existing mains. Depending on your thirst for power, some amps need a dedicated 15A or 20A breaker. Andre remember power conditioning too.

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » February 18th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Duly noted about the power. I am putting 4 - 30Amp circuits to power the equipment.
I haven't made up my mind about receiver or TV yet.

I will post the a room layout when I can. And those paint marks on the back of the room are not final placement.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 18th, 2015, 11:55 pm

carluva wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
carluva wrote:My suggestion is to plan the room for 11.2 and possibly Dolby Atoms. Its not gonna cost much right now as you can place the spare cans in the wall, stuff them with old cement bags, plaster over them and then dig them out when you are ready later.

@duane - I have 4 deftech promonitor 1000, deftech pro center 2000, deftech sr8040bp and supercube 2000. It's being driven by a denon avrx4000.
very very nice

looking at a Def Tech pro cinema 800 or 1000 with a Marantz NR1403 rx right now for a 17x14 room. I'm cool with 5.1 for this setup though.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 19th, 2015, 12:07 am

wheelbarrow wrote:Duly noted about the power. I am putting 4 - 30Amp circuits to power the equipment.
I haven't made up my mind about receiver or TV yet.

I will post the a room layout when I can. And those paint marks on the back of the room are not final placement.
that might be a bit much
but over compensation is ok.

I currently have:
the plug outlets for the entertainment center on it's own 20amp circuit.
a 20 amp for the AC
15 amp for about 9 downlighters / dimmable LEDs
20 amp for the 3 other plugs around the room for probably a table lamp etc

Get a Panamax M5400-PM or similar voltage regulator

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 19th, 2015, 6:11 am

For sure.... I have the mr4300 and this works good. I plan to add an amp later this year and have eyes for an outlaw or emotiva amp. Tell me smtgh though - are there any online retailers who sell sunfire amps?

The nr1403 may is nice but for the deftechs, I think you'd see them blossom with some more power. The nr1403 is only 50w with two channels driven so driving all 5 channels you'd prob get round 20ish watts per channel. My receiver puts out 125w with 2 channels driven so I'd really get about 50-65w driving all seven channels. With that power the deftechs sound good but they can handle up to 200w.

It'd really depend on your need and application but I think for the price of the nr1403, you could get a yamaha or even a pioneer with more power and drive the speakers better. Point to note with the nr1403 is that it has no Preouts so u can't add an amp later. But again it really depends on your application, need and budget.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 19th, 2015, 7:26 am

my personal thoughts on having an external amp since i am no audiophile and
unless you are an audiophile or just want a sunfire/krell/emotiva ec amp

i will always choose say 3 crown xls 1000 for HT and @ approx. 250USD a pop way under a good new 5.1 amp

i will have super amts of power with good enough quality and use the extra to get better speakers since the speakers will have more effect on overall sound quality than an amp

not to mention the rack of crowns will look badasss for HT!!!
but thats just my thoughts

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”