Forums

*** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 19th, 2015, 11:46 am

While I know power is not equal to loudness, the Marantz is for an office and I'll probably go with the 600 deftechs. Not really looking to shakedown the place.

Mostly just a video clip or feature occasionally.

I have an older setup at home with a Pioneer Elite TXH-23 and Klipsch Quintet SL and a Klipsch 10" sub and honestly I watch movies at most at -20db but usually around -30db on the volume knob. Never felt the need for external amps on a HT setup. It's for me, not the neighbour.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: *** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

Postby 16 cycles » February 19th, 2015, 12:37 pm

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi ... -Amplifier

^ a decent amp that can integrate into the apple ecosystem....

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 19th, 2015, 7:40 pm

The amps won't necessarily be for power. HT amps are designed a bit differently to DJ amps in that they tend to offer optimal amplification at frequencies more suitable for movies and soundtracks. DJ amps may have a wider or narrower frequency response. So in my case adding an amp will give power and more loudness, yes, but it will also make the soundtracks sound crisper and clearer at say dialogue frequencies. So in won't necessarily be amplifying for loudness which is what the crown amps will offer... Sheer brute strength is what DJ amps give vs "sonic finesse" in the HT amps.

So a sunfire or outlaw is not necessarily cause I want one cause of the name or the good reviews but more for my application and need. If I was listening to music a lot then by all means I think those crowns would work.

I'm not sure I'm an audiophile but I like movies and tend to pick up on crappy audio...

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 22nd, 2015, 12:07 am

most of the insane DIY HT builds use pro audio amps for the subwoofer mainly the behringer inuke, crown xls and the labgruppen clones...

saying that dj amps have wider or narrower frequency response is not quite true since they all play a given bandwidth 20hz-20khz, some may go 10hz-40khz...and frequency response will depend on the crossover pts and slopes, and eq if any
there are ppl who get under 10hz in their HT set up, ( i know they use multiple subs ) and guess what kinda amps they use...

while the ht amp may have a slight effect on the sound of the LCR part of the system since each amp adds its own characteristics to the sound( class A, tubes, ab, etc) in terms of warmth, less colouration, transient response etc, they will still play the same bandwidth whether its a HT amp or Pro audio amp and in most blind tests, few ppl can actually identify which amp is used

sounding crisper, clearer at dialogue frequencies will depend more on the speakers, eq, xo than the amp use to power it....

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 22nd, 2015, 1:05 am

X_Factor wrote:most of the insane DIY HT builds use pro audio amps for the subwoofer mainly the behringer inuke, crown xls and the labgruppen clones...
I think that's the key part here; most of the builds discussed here are in less than 20x20 rooms and are really part of a living room, not a multi row, purpose built theater

but good point on the freq response and sound of the amp. And then continuing that same reason some people prefer Yamaha over Pioneer or Denon, where the Yamaha tend to be warmer sounding etc.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 22nd, 2015, 1:58 am

yeah, read that about the yamaha, but its all about psycho-acoustics and the perception of sound
i am sure u do a blind test or put the pio in a yamy chassis and they may still say the "yamaha" is warmer

now class A's and tubes are a whole different ball game and i did hear a difference when i switched an alpine to a denon pure class A ( in a car audio environment)

the guys in most of those HT forums who have mid range to high end stuff say that separates do sound way better than a receiver alone since most barely put out a good 30-40wrms all channels driven, and while it will power ur speakers it could well be clipping in some dynamic movie scenes

i hope to go separates sometime in the future

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 22nd, 2015, 12:35 pm

No doubt, separates and proper power, even at lower volumes will sound better.
But your situation would have to warrant it and I think for the vast majority of practical home theater setups, a good receiver with 5 or 7 speakers and a powered sub is the perfect fit.

Might be mind over matter with the Yamaha in truth, but I've heard audio people cringe when they heard my Pioneer Elite and Klipsch Quintet SL, the former known for being very digital and the latter for being very bright, but they are great for movies especially those done in Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD MA, not for so much for music.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 23rd, 2015, 7:51 pm

Not too sure that I agree on the Yamaha over the Denon. My first HT receiver was a Pioneer and the second was a Yamaha and now I own a Denon. The only thing I can say is that the speakers the Yamaha were driving were different to the Denon. I did drive the Yamaha and the Pioneer on the same speakers and I thought that the Yamaha sounded better that the Pioneer.

One thing that was not my cup of tea with the Yamaha is the variety of sound programs that exist and the effect the had on the sound quality. As I said, it was not for me but I am sure others like that.

As for the Denon however, although the speakers are different, I think the Denon blows the Yamaho out of the water... Better sound calibration, better sound decoding and more customizable features that allow the sound to be tailored to my preference. And I personally believe that music sounds great as well...

I agree with Xfactor though - separates do sound better and that's what I am working my way up to precisely to get a quality sound reproduction. Plus I don't own a rack so rack mounted gear won't aesthetically do well with my setup.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 23rd, 2015, 9:26 pm

http://stereointegrity.com/product/hs24-24-subwoofer/

check this fcker out!!...10-15cu ft SEALED.....ha!

thinking about getting one of these though
http://stereointegrity.com/product/hst12-12-subwoofer/

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 23rd, 2015, 9:27 pm

Most audiophiles do not like the sound of music on HT setups.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 23rd, 2015, 9:31 pm

Hearing comments on Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha, no one uses Onkyo?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 23rd, 2015, 9:47 pm

rollingstock wrote:Hearing comments on Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha, no one uses Onkyo?
yup, people who shop at RadioShack. Nah there are good Onkyo receivers but on the pricey end. And when you get up to that price there are other and sometimes better options than Onkyo.

Also check out Marantz, Integra and Anthem a/v receivers

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/t ... -receivers

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 23rd, 2015, 9:50 pm

Nah just always used Onkyo and never had an issue with them, found it weird that no one mentions them in this thread. Thought I was the guy with the elephant in the room.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 23rd, 2015, 9:51 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Most audiophiles do not like the sound of music on HT setups.

quite true....a simple 2.1 with some high end stuff and they are pleased

gimme house shaking HT anyday!!

onkyo has some good stuff but imo their higher end stuff seems to be getting all the good reviews compared to the mid line in the other brands

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » February 23rd, 2015, 9:54 pm

rollingstock wrote:Nah just always used Onkyo and never had an issue with them, found it weird that no one mentions them in this thread. Thought I was the guy with the elephant in the room.

My choice was between Onkyo and Yamaha actually for my receiver

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 23rd, 2015, 9:56 pm

I outdated as fuark, still using a TX-SR604, does what I need it to.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 23rd, 2015, 9:59 pm

Sure right about ht over 2.1. Onkyo are ok. Onkyo and integra are the same company except integra are the high end line. You research onkyo and integra and they have pretty much other same features. You can't buy integra like u wud an onkyo as integra are not sold online....

Point is that onkyo are ok.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 23rd, 2015, 10:06 pm

Morpheus wrote:
rollingstock wrote:Nah just always used Onkyo and never had an issue with them, found it weird that no one mentions them in this thread. Thought I was the guy with the elephant in the room.

Why'd you narrow down to those options and which did u get?

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » February 23rd, 2015, 10:50 pm

Good info here gents, I have a harmon kardon 1610 5.1 reciever and I think it sounds ok, more for movies than music tho but it was within my budget

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » February 24th, 2015, 8:42 am

X_Factor wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Most audiophiles do not like the sound of music on HT setups.

onkyo has some good stuff but imo their higher end stuff seems to be getting all the good reviews compared to the mid line in the other brands

Errrmmm. Good audio is good audio. "House shaking" HT should sound equally good with music.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 24th, 2015, 9:35 am

crazybalhead wrote:
X_Factor wrote:

Errrmmm. Good audio is good audio. "House shaking" HT should sound equally good with music.
Errrmmmm no.
There is a reason there are formats for 5.1 /7.1 audio like DTS and Dolby. Pro Logic for music is different from Pro Logic for movies.
Music listening setups are often in stereo to match the way the audio was produced. Movie / HT setups focus more on the center channel and also have LFE channels. You'd be surprised how little audio is sent to the front left and right in a movie scene compared to a music track.
Music mastered for 5.1 will sound great on a HT setup, but most music is produced in stereo.
If you have space for floor standers and you listen to music a lot on your HT setup then by all means buy some good music towers for your front left and right, switch your av receiver to stereo and it will sound great.
But then that's no longer an HT setup.
Also many HT setups use smaller satellites which are great for movies as they all work together but not as good for stereo listening.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 24th, 2015, 9:36 am

the formats and audio mixes are different when u shift from strict audio to ht
u ever saw an audio track in 5.1

mind u the same system will be able to reproduce good music once it is tuned over to music which is usually 2.1 format

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » February 24th, 2015, 10:57 am

TV reach and is set up as advised...
In case there is any doubt as to who is in control in my world....1st thing we watched was a cookie monster vid off of you tube :| :? :lol:

Jr has gone from dominating the ipad to watch soca vids off of you tube to dominating the TV so he can watch soca vids off of you tube.
Put some old Sparrow on and he is quiet for hrs.(until he starts his performance)

That said we had an watershed moment last night when he wanted to watch a documentary over sponge bob or Curious George...

So Thanks again for the info...

I took a trial with Smart DNS and have the TV for sure(manually selected DNS) and the I believe the router using their DNS.

Used paypal to set up Netflix (not geographic in terms of card address)

Noob questions
Im trying to set up Amazon Prime Video but I, not seeing it as an option in the Samsung App store.
I am missing something basic-so any advice is appreciated
Also I havent been able to get the audio that is run through the optical cable into the Denon AVR1801 receiver.
I made a quick first run at it ....nothing intensive ..Ive run through all the inputs on the receiver nothing yet...the receiver works on the DVD/CD setting, so its working Ive selected the right output on the TV so its pushing the audio to the AVR but Im not getting it out of the AVR

Speaker wire make a significant difference???

I will run the rear SS speakers this weekend probably so I might need to buy some this week.

Thanks again

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » February 24th, 2015, 11:01 am

carluva wrote:
Morpheus wrote:

Why'd you narrow down to those options and which did u get?

:lol: Price and reviews (Amazon)....

Can't judge performance properly because I'm using speakers from previous stereo system.

I bought this in December....

Yamaha RX475

simplejack
Sweet on this forum

Postby simplejack » February 24th, 2015, 11:31 am

Speaking of noob, I intend on buying a tv soon and was wondering what was the best budget audio set up to get? your thoughts on sound bars since i'd be playing most of my movies either streaming or via a flash drive. I've also heard of people who use pc speakers as there audio set up on their tv.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 24th, 2015, 12:10 pm

simplejack wrote:Speaking of noob, I intend on buying a tv soon and was wondering what was the best budget audio set up to get? your thoughts on sound bars since i'd be playing most of my movies either streaming or via a flash drive. I've also heard of people who use pc speakers as there audio set up on their tv.
http://www.cnet.com/topics/speakers/best-speakers/sound-bars/

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 24th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Redman wrote:Noob questions
Im trying to set up Amazon Prime Video but I, not seeing it as an option in the Samsung App store.
I am missing something basic-so any advice is appreciated
Also I havent been able to get the audio that is run through the optical cable into the Denon AVR1801 receiver.
I made a quick first run at it ....nothing intensive ..Ive run through all the inputs on the receiver nothing yet...the receiver works on the DVD/CD setting, so its working Ive selected the right output on the TV so its pushing the audio to the AVR but Im not getting it out of the AVR

Speaker wire make a significant difference???

I will run the rear SS speakers this weekend probably so I might need to buy some this week.

Thanks again
Is the Denon set to the SPDIF IN?

any decent 16 gauge oxygen free wire should work for your setup

lancer3
Sweet on this forum

Postby lancer3 » February 24th, 2015, 1:58 pm

anyone tried out sling tv yet..

thatlife
Sweet on this forum

Postby thatlife » February 24th, 2015, 3:32 pm

need some suggestions guys

upgrading my setup in the bedroom which is basically a LED TV and a matricom Gbox

going with the new matricom xbmc box http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHL ... OLR8YDGC0J
supports 1080p, 4k and so on

now I want to use a drop down motorized screen with a projector
any suggestions?

My ceiling is gypsum and I have access to inside the ceiling where I can hide all the wires and stuff, so the projector screen will drop down infront of the bed and projector will be front or rear facing, not sure if they would be a loss in quality from the rear?

my reason for going with this is so that I can continue using the current TV set up for short use and whenever I want to watch a movie or something in HD I can use the projector and screen, I also want to keep it very discrete

this is the projector I was looking at
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD26-Theat ... +projector

thoughts?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 24th, 2015, 7:47 pm

lancer3 wrote:anyone tried out sling tv yet..
yes!

I am using it currently and I'm also using USTVNOW
https://www.ustvnow.com/

I am using them both on the Roku 3 and Sling only on iPad / iPhone

they are similar services but feature different content.

I think Sling has better content and a more intuitive interface

I also want to try Flow's new IP based service

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”