*** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: *** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

Postby bluefete » November 26th, 2017, 10:42 pm

2ndChance:

Thanks so much. You have described exactly what I am hearing. And you are correct. I was expecting to hear the higher frequency associated with the other 2 speakers.

It is quite soft and totally not what i expected a sub-woofer to be.

I do not think that this system comes with a sub-woofer adjustment knob. It is simply to plug into the main system like the other speakers.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » November 26th, 2017, 11:10 pm

bluefete wrote:2ndChance:

Thanks so much. You have described exactly what I am hearing. And you are correct. I was expecting to hear the higher frequency associated with the other 2 speakers.

It is quite soft and totally not what i expected a sub-woofer to be.

I do not think that this system comes with a sub-woofer adjustment knob. It is simply to plug into the main system like the other speakers.

You're welcome bluefete. I'm curious though, not even a volume control for the sub? What's the model number of the speaker system?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » November 27th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Model # is SB-AKW880 - this is on the back of the subwoofer speaker.

The model # on the other 2 speakers is SB-AKX880

SC-AKX880 is the model number of the Panasonic System.

It says in the instructions that "Subwoofer Ch - 500 W per channel ( 2 amperes), 100Hz, 30% THD.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » November 27th, 2017, 3:27 pm

30% THD O_O

Blue fete. This might sound stupid, but go and listen up close to the sub and see if it sounds like what you expect up close.

A subwoofer is meant to be non localised and the sound should appear to come only from the left and right speaker you have there. Since the satellite speakers are physically smaller, the sub adds the lower frequencies meant to come from the two channels, but that they can't physically reproduce. The human ear has a hard time localising sub bass, which technically is 80Hz and below. That "sub" is likely just producing the second octave at 40-100hz or so, so more upper bass than true sub bass. Just setting your expectations. This is fine for 99% of music and will add a nice effect for music.

Now here's a little trick. Try to put the sub close to where you would normally sit to watch TV or listen to music. Play some bass heavy tracks and get down close to the ground and move around your room. When you find a spot where the sub sounds great, swap positions. Put the sub there. That way, you will avoid any null spots near your listening position. Corner loading, putting it directly in the corner of the room, will make it louder, but possibly boomy and indistinct too. So move it around a bit.

For the stereo speakers, try to get them about 6-7 feet apart with your listening position about 8 feet away in the middle of the two for the best effect. Try, if possible to get the sub near the same wall as these two to get it to blend, but it doesn't have to be too close, and can be off to one side.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » November 27th, 2017, 5:59 pm

bluefete wrote:Model # is SB-AKW880 - this is on the back of the subwoofer speaker.

The model # on the other 2 speakers is SB-AKX880

SC-AKX880 is the model number of the Panasonic System.

It says in the instructions that "Subwoofer Ch - 500 W per channel ( 2 amperes), 100Hz, 30% THD.

That's a full hifi system, not just speakers. All your controls should be on the main unit. You can adjust the amount of base by adjusting the EQ and DBASS settings. Check your user manual for the section on "sound effects".

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » November 28th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Correct. The controls are on the main unit. I just did not recognize the Subwoofer (SW) when I saw it.

My cousin took a look at it and re-iterated what you said.

The problem with the speakers is that the cords for this model are not very long, so you are basically restricted to moving them a maximum of about 4-5 feet.

The SW does offer something called 'surround sound' which does sound pretty good when it is turned on.

I will do some experimentation over the weekend and get back to you.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » December 3rd, 2017, 6:29 am

What you HT pros think of this ???

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 3rd, 2017, 8:58 am

I have been eyeing these Nakamichis for some time now and am planning to get one for our bedroom next year. Maybe not the 9.2 but likely the 7.2 or even the older 7.1. I read pretty much all the reviews as well as looked at pretty much all the vids i can find and have never found any negative review of these. All reviews are positive, with some quirks of course, but nothing that makes it appear as a bad deal. I say go strong and get it, if you are planning to, and then let me know what its like.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » December 4th, 2017, 4:39 am

Yup, I got the sound bar with the puny 6 inch woofer and the sound bar is pretty loud, clean and crisp.....compare to my Bose cinemate. I currently use the nakamichi sound bar and the Bose sub and it's pretty decent in soundquality and bass.

I'm really eyeing the 9.2 for the 2 separate 10 inch subs ( sure it'll make mass in the tv room ) lol.

Will let u know if I go thru with it.

( Not gonna spend no 15-20k and upwards ........at this time )

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » December 4th, 2017, 4:49 am

Nakamichi in the game a long time now...Used to make some world renowned equipment...Not sure at present with all the acquisitions through the years with audio companies...But they should be good..

innovative audio
Sweet on this forum

Postby innovative audio » December 12th, 2017, 3:07 pm

hey guys i jus bought a new set of pioneer andrew jones 5.1 home theatre speakers ( not the elite)
i'm looking for a good receiver (7.2 for dolby atmos later on) to power this but around the $500us budget line

any suggestions?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 12th, 2017, 3:48 pm

^ the Pioneer Elite VSX LX 102 is US$499 on Amazon
The Marantz NR1607 is slim and is a really good receiver but it's US$569

I have a slim NR 1403 in the office and aa slightly older Pioneer Elite VSX 23TXH at home. Both brands offer good bang for the buck in sound and features.

innovative audio
Sweet on this forum

Postby innovative audio » December 12th, 2017, 4:00 pm

what do you think of the Sony STR-DN1080 based on reviews and the denon avr 2400h?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 12th, 2017, 4:07 pm

^ don't have experience with those brands, so i can't say

This link may help
https://www.lifewire.com/best-home-thea ... 00-1846332

Zim
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Zim » December 15th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Zim wrote:
turboturnsmeon2 wrote:Does anyone have a pair of front towers and center speaker for sale ?
or something like the ELAC B6 Debut Series at a reasonable price.

Considering selling my BIC towers & centre channel speakers, if u interested. Amps still for sale tho :)

Doh bother. These were all stolen. Sorry for any inconvenience caused

Zim

Postby Zim » December 15th, 2017, 4:34 pm

innovative audio wrote:hey guys i jus bought a new set of pioneer andrew jones 5.1 home theatre speakers ( not the elite)
i'm looking for a good receiver (7.2 for dolby atmos later on) to power this but around the $500us budget line

any suggestions?

Not a fan of newer Pioneer stuff. The Denon units are great. If u wanna go with separates msg me. I may have some items u like.

Guys if anyone wants some nice home music gear, msg me. I have 3 amps to sell right now.

Zim

Postby Zim » December 16th, 2017, 4:52 am

Details here. Sorry pics too large to upload.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=715788&p=9655602#p9655602

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » December 16th, 2017, 1:16 pm

I have been looking at the comments in this thread and even if 90% is like a foreign language, I have found the infor quite interesting.
The end result is, I have invested in a Sharp Aquos, 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 60" Class and married this unit with a Samsung Sound Bar (4 series).
Well folks I am happy 'like pig in mud'.
BTW, took full advantage of Best Buy thanksgiving special and shipped sea freight on 30/11 sailing (already enjoying results).

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 16th, 2017, 2:10 pm

^ nice!!!

post pics and a review of the TV and soundbar

Zim wrote:Details here. Sorry pics too large to upload.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=715788&p=9655602#p9655602

use the free mobile app to upload images from your phone

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » December 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm

I had to return the brand new Panasonic system because the main unit was malfunctioning.

I took an LG instead but I have not put it up as yet.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » December 16th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ nice!!!

OK, I suppose is only fair I do some work, since thus far contributions made here by others did assist me in determining my best fit.
Please give me a couple days to get proper images, product model numbers and even costings for those who are conservative novices like myself.

Zim

Postby Zim » December 17th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Toyo as longvas u happy n get what you want is all that matter mate. Glad 4 u. Many ppl invest and set up stuff and are unhappy with what they got. Been a victim of that myself.

Duane ok thanks for the tip. I will most likely resize dem in work and upload dem. Rather use a PC for those things. Not knocking the app.

Anyone interested in a pair of Polk Audio R15 speakers? Tweeters are shot but otherwise in swell condition

turboturnsmeon2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby turboturnsmeon2 » December 20th, 2017, 9:17 am

Added a couple speakers last night,
2x RTi-A5 floorstanding speakers
1x CSi-5 center speaker
2x Mono price bookshelf speakers (front presence)

Will add the rest over the weekend.
2x RTi-6 bookshelf speakers
2x RTi-4 bookshelf speakers

Got to get a TV.

Zim

Postby Zim » December 20th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Nice setup buddy! I've been eying those Rti speakers for quite some time. How are they compared to the regular line? What you using to drive them?

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » December 20th, 2017, 4:47 pm

toyolink wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ nice!!!

The following are images of:
- Packaging with Model #'s etc
- Installed Television & Sound Bar
- Copy of invoice for actual FOB cost

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » December 20th, 2017, 5:14 pm

innovative audio wrote:what do you think of the Sony STR-DN1080 based on reviews and the denon avr 2400h?

Am thinking of getting the DN 1080. I have earlier iterations of both Sony and Denon receivers and am impressed by the Sony's audio quality and timing. Thiz iz primarily what I look for in a receiver.

Both units have gotten good reviews. If I do get the 1080 i will advise my impressions.

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1080/review
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... ver-review
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VfYZOtKcJ ... N1080.html
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-str-dn1080/review/

https://www.whathifi.com/denon/avr-x2400h/review

turboturnsmeon2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby turboturnsmeon2 » December 21st, 2017, 12:06 pm

@zim, Nice setup buddy! I've been eyeing those Rti speakers for quite some time. How are they compared to the regular line? What you using to drive them?

The RTi sound great so far, although I've had nothing particularly good to compare them to "i had mono-price book shelf speakers a while now". When i 1st set them up all were set to large speakers, the bass was so good i didn't even know the sub wasn't playing until a couple minutes in. After setting speakers to small, cross over change to 80Hz, re-watching movies is a different experience.

I'm using a RXV-675 to drive them, once i get a TV sorted out i'll change out the receiver.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » December 24th, 2017, 3:01 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:When buying a NEW TV what are the features you want ?

Some you SHOULD have are as follows :

1. Plenty HDMI Ports [ These are the ports that connect to your cable box, your gaming system, your Apple TV, Roku and other products ]

2. HDR [ You'll get more light in darker scenes, meaning it's easier to see the content ]

3. Refresh Rates [ 120 Hz or better . More is better ]

No, no and no

1. In a proper setup you only need one HDMI input as you should be using a AV receiver and the TV is just a display. The AV receiver should have tons of HDMI inputs.

2. HDR is only as good as the source material (GIGO), anything further is digitally making something that is not here.

3. Most movies are filmed at 24 or 30 FPS, the 120Hz or 240Hz is actually produced by the TV digitally, like digital zoom, unless it's for gaming it creates a "soap opera effect" which is generally considered undesirable.

Hey Duane. Do receivers have considerable input lag? I connect my PS4 directly to the TV and use opitcal out from TV to the receiver. My other devices go through the receiver though.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 24th, 2017, 10:58 am

^ no lag at all, that's what HDMI is for.

Optical cannot handle the high bandwidth of HD audio and surround sound that HDMI can.
You would be better off connecting the PS4 to the receiver via HDMI and connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI, no need for optical.

"HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical."
https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-optic ... on-to-use/

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » December 25th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ no lag at all, that's what HDMI is for.

Optical cannot handle the high bandwidth of HD audio and surround sound that HDMI can.
You would be better off connecting the PS4 to the receiver via HDMI and connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI, no need for optical.

"HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical."
https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-optic ... on-to-use/

Thanks man

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”