TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

What the Best Split level AC Units...Carrier LG, Panasonic?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: What the Best Split level AC Units...Carrier LG, Panasonic?

Postby gastly369 » May 1st, 2019, 8:30 am

nervewrecker wrote:
gastly369 wrote:Remove ac use lasko
eitech wrote:Any ideas how to deter birds from building nest around ac?

want me sell you two lasko for the shop?
Once it deter birds from building nest

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 1st, 2019, 8:36 am

Will rent you my tabby

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 4th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Worked on a katashi today.
Must say, it is of very good quality

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » May 15th, 2019, 3:57 pm

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 20th, 2019, 2:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: This randomly came up on my feed. I think AC men will appreciate it.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » May 20th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Any feedback on experiences with the current gen Carrier inverter mini splits?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 20th, 2019, 8:55 pm

maj. tom wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: This randomly came up on my feed. I think AC men will appreciate it.

I need a room temp room. This gree inverter killing me :oops: :oops:
Went to see if I can get a 9000btu, salt.

The amount of sh1t work I cleaning up eh. Cant believe allyuh tax paying dollars spend for it.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 20th, 2019, 9:00 pm

NR8 wrote:Any feedback on experiences with the current gen Carrier inverter mini splits?

Supposed to be good. Saw a set in brentwood. No difference in quality you can get elsewhere afaik.
The corrosion protection / coil coating Ansa offers, I sell it as well. Its an option at an added cost.

https://www.facebook.com/ParsotanAC/

Bosse
Street 2NR

Postby Bosse » May 20th, 2019, 9:07 pm

I saw Courts selling LG duel inverter units.

Any thoughts on those?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 20th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Bosse wrote:I saw Courts selling LG duel inverter units.

Any thoughts on those?

I know the LG units to be good units. What can make it bad is the installers. Kind of dotish work I seeing out here.
I have a Gree unit about 5 years now. No issues, it in immaculate condition.
I know someone with the same unit barely 2 years oldand it leaking refrigerant because the copper weak. When they dont vacuume the system prior to opening the valves and it has air in it the water vapour reacts with the coil and it breaks down into an acid. The acid breaks down the copper from inside and it starts leaking, is best to throw it away.
the guy who taught me this trade has a Green Energy at home, no issues. The problem is not so much the units, its the installers.
Also, no vacuume = no warranty.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 20th, 2019, 10:01 pm

— We Keep hearing about servicing and hearing some cheap cheap cheap prices.
People think a service is just wash out the evaporator filters and spray down the condenser and that’s exactly what they get from the $100.00 and $150.00 service. That nonsense is non existent here, our prices stand because it reflects on what we give.

— What a proper service entails -

¦ Full scrap down of the evaporator. Face removed, louver removed, coils, blower wheel and drain pan washed, drain line flushed, back of coils washed, filters washed, body washed out and reassembled. People who service and don’t wash the rear drain pan cause a buildup of material there and eventually it gets clogged. Where is it located? Behind the evaporator against the wall. When things get to that stage we have to remove it and scrap down the whole thing for a complete service.

¦ Scrap out of the condenser, coils washed from inside and outside to remove any material in it.

— Effects of not servicing your air conditioner system:
› Reduced efficiency – Your Air conditioner is a heat exchange system. It does not “blow cold air”, it removes heat from a room. With dirty coils you are reducing air flow across the coils and its ability to pick up heat (in the evap) and reject heat (condenser). As a result your system has to run longer to do the job. You have increased electrical consumption and unnecessary strain on the system now.

Chances of system failure have been increased:

› The compressor runs hotter and coil winding insulation may fail and cause electrical failure from short circuit

›Oil breakdown may start to occur and reduce lubrication of moving parts causing mechanical failure

› Oil may start to breakdown and turn acidic reacting with the copper coils weakening them and causing leaks.

› As the systems ability to dissipate heat is inhibited, heat buildup will occur and pressures will rise. Mechanical failure from blowout at the weakest point becomes a possibility.

›Air constantly passing over these coils carry various spores and airborne microbes. These are way smaller than the pores on the filters. When they settle on the coil they start to multiply because it a favorable environment. What you now have are various colonies of organism that are detrimental to your health.

NOTE: People installing these systems close to the ceiling, says a lot about them. If the cover cant open to take the evaporator body off, what kind of service they do? Think about it a bit.

NOTE: Systems do not need refrigerant (gassing up / gyassing up). The refrigerant charge remains in the system for its entire lifespan and is part of a cycle – the refrigeration cycle. If your system looses refrigerant due to one of the aforementioned causes or slack connection, bad connection etc we rectify the problem and then add back refrigerant as needed. It’s a one time cost.
People who “topping up” facilitate the venting of refrigerant into the atmosphere. The R410A refrigerant has an extremely high global warming potential. We urge people to not facilitate and promote this slackness.

ALSO: Not servicing voids warranty.

Sharing this here to separate nonsense from sense.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 21st, 2019, 7:22 am

So a full service like that is supposed to be done how often then? Is all that in a 3 month service that the company calls about, because just washing the filters is what i have seen in all the servicing I ever experienced. Or those guidelines you wrote, is that a 12 month service?

And then obviously the cost... that's going to cost much more than the $250 fee that they advertise. So how often should we do a full service like that if the unit is run every night?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 21st, 2019, 7:29 am

That is the same service we hit you every 3 to 6 months. And same $200.0 to $250.00 you have to pay. $200.00 if is an easy back to back with condenser right by evap, it easy to access and not stink and dutty. Anything else is $250.00.
I'd say anything between 3 to 6 months if used regularly (every night). Have some units I meet that gets really dirty every 3 months.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » May 23rd, 2019, 1:25 am

nervewrecker wrote:
NR8 wrote:Any feedback on experiences with the current gen Carrier inverter mini splits?

Supposed to be good. Saw a set in brentwood. No difference in quality you can get elsewhere afaik.
The corrosion protection / coil coating Ansa offers, I sell it as well. Its an option at an added cost.

Thanks.

Is this a Heresite type coating you are referring to?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am

NR8 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Thanks.

Is this a Heresite type coating you are referring to?

Yes, did a dry run on an old ac that going to the scrap heap.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 24th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Pair of Inverter 18000 btu for a high profile client that has a property close to the sea.

Say bye bye to coil degradation.

Also doing aluminum intercoolers and radiators.

Protect your investment with heresite vr 514.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

dredman1
Riding on 18's

What the Best Split level AC Units...Carrier LG, Panasonic?

Postby dredman1 » May 25th, 2019, 8:55 am

nervewrecker wrote:
Toyo1777 wrote:Are inverters really woth the extra money.

Hi, I forgot to comment.

Depends on what you using them for. People like me who rarely home and use AC for a few hours, no (but then I dont pay to install or service mines ). Plus I set my temps high so my compressor dont run at full load.

If its a place that needs precision cooling and will be running for long periods, then yes. I have a pic of a 24000btu at about 6A current draw (compressor not at full tilt, already slowing down. Normal 24000 btu units pull approx 10A (the ones I sell at least), others are more, I saw an 18000 btu of another brand pulling 11A.

But as to the extra cost, you get what you pay for.

Not much of these systems come with any form of protection anymore besides thermal on the compressor and by that time oil and compressor motor coil insulation already started breaking down.
Inverter type will shut down if it has a refrigerant leak and protects the system. Will throw an error code as well. That's just one form of protection the others dont have.
The drive circuit on the motor is completely isolated from the mains so in case of power surges a comp wont fry. They very flexible WRT current fluctuations and the compressors coil insulation can handle way more heat (iirc, beyond 100 degrees centigrade).

And yes, there are technicians that can troubleshoot them (besides myself).

You can contact me for any further info on them. Id be happy to answer your questions and address your concerns.

Good info.

I’ll probably need to replace my split unit in time (LG 24000btu, installed late 2006, used daily for 10-12hrs). It still works fine, and has needed minor repairs of mainly replacing capacitors a few times over the years, and a temperature sensing bulb last year. It’s just a bit noisier now. Than when new obviously.

After the first few times watching technicians do a clean/service, and the capacitor replacements when necessary over the years, I started to do those things on my own.

Only 1 “major” repair recently I had to get a technician to fix was when the unit wouldn’t power off - had to do so from the breaker. That was a relay on the board that needed replacing (because it “fused” from cycling too frequently due to the faulty temp sensor). But now if that happened again I think I am able to replace it myself after seeing it done.

Anyway, long and short is I’m by no means an a/c technician (heck I do office work and work with figures by profession) but like to think of myself as a DIYer and thus was able to pick up how to service and do MINOR repairs to my unit myself, which has saved me money over the years.
Even a second unit we bought about 2 years ago (standard 12000btu Amana Distinctions) I’m able to service on my own without seeing anyone do it, because of the experience from my LG unit.

Then again, these standard units are fairly simple.

So my question is (since I’m looking at inverter units for when my existing unit will eventually need replacing) how difficult will it be to do the things I know how to do now for myself on an inverter? I know its obviously more complicated than the standard non-inverter units, but would I still be able to do the things Like the basic cleaning/service myself?

Note while I like to think of myself as kinda “mechanically” inclined, when it comes to electrical thats a whole different game for me, because I fraid shock bad , and I’m sure those inverters probably are a maze of wires and PCBs when they are opened.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 25th, 2019, 12:20 pm

dredman1 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Hi, I forgot to comment.

Depends on what you using them for. People like me who rarely home and use AC for a few hours, no (but then I dont pay to install or service mines ). Plus I set my temps high so my compressor dont run at full load.

If its a place that needs precision cooling and will be running for long periods, then yes. I have a pic of a 24000btu at about 6A current draw (compressor not at full tilt, already slowing down. Normal 24000 btu units pull approx 10A (the ones I sell at least), others are more, I saw an 18000 btu of another brand pulling 11A.

Not much of these systems come with any form of protection anymore besides thermal on the compressor and by that time oil and compressor motor coil insulation already started breaking down.
Inverter type will shut down if it has a refrigerant leak and protects the system. Will throw an error code as well. That's just one form of protection the others dont have.
The drive circuit on the motor is completely isolated from the mains so in case of power surges a comp wont fry. They very flexible WRT current fluctuations and the compressors coil insulation can handle way more heat (iirc, beyond 100 degrees centigrade).

You can contact me for any further info on them. Id be happy to answer your questions and address your concerns.

Good info.

I’ll probably need to replace my split unit in time (LG 24000btu, installed late 2006, used daily for 10-12hrs). It still works fine, and has needed minor repairs of mainly replacing capacitors a few times over the years, and a temperature sensing bulb last year. It’s just a bit noisier now. Than when new obviously.

After the first few times watching technicians do a clean/service, and the capacitor replacements when necessary over the years, I started to do those things on my own.

Only 1 “major” repair recently I had to get a technician to fix was when the unit wouldn’t power off - had to do so from the breaker. That was a relay on the board that needed replacing (because it “fused” from cycling too frequently due to the faulty temp sensor). But now if that happened again I think I am able to replace it myself after seeing it done.

Anyway, long and short is I’m by no means an a/c technician (heck I do office work and work with figures by profession) but like to think of myself as a DIYer and thus was able to pick up how to service and do MINOR repairs to my unit myself, which has saved me money over the years.
Even a second unit we bought about 2 years ago (standard 12000btu Amana Distinctions) I’m able to service on my own without seeing anyone do it, because of the experience from my LG unit.

So my question is (since I’m looking at inverter units for when my existing unit will eventually need replacing) how difficult will it be to do the things I know how to do now for myself on an inverter? I know its obviously more complicated than the standard non-inverter units, but would I still be able to do the things Like the basic cleaning/service myself?

Note while I like to think of myself as kinda “mechanically” inclined, when it comes to electrical thats a whole different game for me, because I fraid shock bad , and I’m sure those inverters probably are a maze of wires and PCBs when they are opened.
An inverter is simply a frequency controller that is used to vary the speed of the compressor motor.

Temperature sensing is essentially similar between fixed and variable speed air conditioning units.

I doubt that you would notice much difference between the two.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 25th, 2019, 1:18 pm

folks should also put radiant barrier insulation in the roof if possible and make sure ceiling is well sealed.
I recently barrier in a shed we have and the difference is huge.

I installed it below the purlins so there is a 4" air gap to the roofing sheets which acts as a bigger insulator.
Most roof builders put the barrier between the purlins/lats and the roof sheets which is not optimal as the barrier is aluminium foil which is a good conductor of heat so it will transfer the roof sheet heat directly even though it is blocking the radiant heat.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 25th, 2019, 10:33 pm

dredman1 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Hi, I forgot to comment.

Good info.

I am doing a writeup on my page in a few on these. Scrapped one complete to do the anti-corrosion coating and took pics of all the parts etc, what they are and what they do.
Do take into consideration hat they do vary a bit in the design.
I'd strongly advise against interfering with them because if you dont know what you doing you can easily damage the boards. A tech had to replace one for a very big company owner recently. He has since been fired and my company now handles that company as well as all the managers, directors, owners etc.
The tech played smart and took the unit, he asked for the tech to return it and he did. It will be in my possession from Monday.
Also, the operating voltages exceed 300V DC in those, so if you fraid voltage....you know nah.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 25th, 2019, 10:37 pm

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ParsotanAC/ ... 6759402696

Pics uploaded, write-up tomorrow after they are installed.

Notice the voltage on the motor?

Same motor in the lennox and daikin afaik, not sure of the gree. My gree have some years so motors may have changed since.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 25th, 2019, 10:43 pm

adnj wrote:
dredman1 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Hi, I forgot to comment.

Good info.

An inverter is simply a frequency controller that is used to vary the speed of the compressor motor.

Temperature sensing is essentially similar between fixed and variable speed air conditioning units.

I doubt that you would notice much difference between the two.

Its somewhat that in a nutshell, but a bit more to it than that.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 25th, 2019, 10:45 pm

pugboy wrote:folks should also put radiant barrier insulation in the roof if possible and make sure ceiling is well sealed.
I recently barrier in a shed we have and the difference is huge.

I installed it below the purlins so there is a 4" air gap to the roofing sheets which acts as a bigger insulator.
Most roof builders put the barrier between the purlins/lats and the roof sheets which is not optimal as the barrier is aluminium foil which is a good conductor of heat so it will transfer the roof sheet heat directly even though it is blocking the radiant heat.

This is also what I advise new home owners to do.
When we sizing systems and estimating heat load, we usually downsize a bit when there is insulation.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » May 25th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Whats the recommendation on a good split unit for a 150ish sf bedroom?
I have a pioneer that on its way out and i going to get it replaced entirely soon.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 25th, 2019, 10:55 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:Whats the recommendation on a good split unit for a 150ish sf bedroom?
I have a pioneer that on its way out and i going to get it replaced entirely soon.

If on the westside, a 12000 btu may work. I'd need to see to make sure.
But surely an 18000 btu will work.
We now offer standard units as well as standard units with the anti-corrosion treatment on the coils at an added cost.

12000 btu lennox and daikin are $2700.00 installed, $3000.00 with the treatment.
18000 btu lennox and daikin are $3700.00 installed, $4000.00 with the treatment.

Usually, the coils start to fall apart 5 years down the road. Compressor, condenser fan etc and evaporator still good and coils falling apart outside. Depends on where it installed though, may not need the coating.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » May 26th, 2019, 2:05 am

nervewrecker wrote:
dredman1 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Hi, I forgot to comment.

Good info.

I am doing a writeup on my page in a few on these. Scrapped one complete to do the anti-corrosion coating and took pics of all the parts etc, what they are and what they do.
I'd strongly advise against interfering with them because if you dont know what you doing you can easily damage the boards. A tech had to replace one for a very big company owner recently. He has since been fired and my company now handles that company as well as all the managers, directors, owners etc.
The tech played smart and took the unit, he asked for the tech to return it and he did. It will be in my possession from Monday.
Also, the operating voltages exceed 300V DC in those, so if you fraid voltage....you know nah.

Thanks. After looking at the pics you posted its really not as different as I was thinking.

Seems like I could do my regular cleaning of the coils on the outside unit. But thats usually the easier one to clean. And I aint touching the boards on the right side until I see someone else do it .

If the general layout of the inside unit is similar, soi can clean the coils, fan and drainage,I’ll be ok with that. If something electrical goes wrong will call in the experts like yourself.

blitz83
Street 2NR

Postby blitz83 » May 26th, 2019, 2:12 am

All that ring rong. Is only two fidy the man is charge to service!
Screw it up and is more than that to pay to fix.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » May 26th, 2019, 3:01 am

blitz83 wrote:All that ring rong. Is only two fidy the man is charge to service!
Screw it up and is more than that to pay to fix.

:shock:

u serious? the last AC service man i hired charged me $350 per unit and firetruck up my units proper...ice forming, drained clogged...etc. not to mention d bastard was messy as hell....wet up my whole house. :evil:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 26th, 2019, 9:56 am

dredman1 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
dredman1 wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Hi, I forgot to comment.

Good info.

Thanks. After looking at the pics you posted its really not as different as I was thinking.

Seems like I could do my regular cleaning of the coils on the outside unit. But thats usually the easier one to clean. And I aint touching the boards on the right side until I see someone else do it .

If the general layout of the inside unit is similar, soi can clean the coils, fan and drainage,I’ll be ok with that. If something electrical goes wrong will call in the experts like yourself.

You will be calling me right after.
Disconnecting the power will not save you either.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » May 27th, 2019, 12:38 am

^^^Thats what I was trying to find out.

If its too much of a risk I wont try it myself. Thanks again for the info and heads up.

And blitz83, its not just saving the money. Its also the convenience of having it done on your own time and the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing its done properly.

Obviously if I cant do it myself I’ll call in an expert and not risk damage to the unit or injury to myself.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”