TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

TSTT WiMax 4G/Hotspot and HSPA+ Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 2nd, 2010, 7:16 am

For those of you with this service, did someone come to your house to check for reception?
I was told tht after you apply, someone from TSTT would come to your place to check reception there (like Greendot does??). Also they said there is a shortage of the boxes right now :roll:

So I guess this is a next setta waiting :roll:

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » April 2nd, 2010, 10:01 pm

Smokey wrote:My gf has a test unit and I must say when it works it works good....much better than the EVDO stick she has, BUT!!!

In most areas the coverage sucks balls....I live a mere 1km from a cell tower and when you're next to it, its amazing, but when ur at my home (1km from cell tower, which you can see from the porch), EVDO works better!

I can't believe TSTT wasted millions on this as its really not that much of an upgrade over EVDO.

I forsee a lot of people not liking it.

Don't even know why TSTT bothered to do this.....no one really wanted this, it's f*cking 3G the nation is begging for!

Imagine loading a page on my Ipone taking 2 to 5mins....I've seen my cousin's Iphone loading up the same site in 10secs or less in FL on AT&T's much bad mouthed 'slow' 3G network.

F*CKING 2G EDGE!!! is the best we can do in Trini??? eh?

And I read Digicel want to do WiMAX too? Are these companies stupid or are we trini's just dumb and don't know what we're missing out?

what does the cell tower hav to do with WiMax tech?...can 3g and 4g support 100 Mbps+?

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » April 3rd, 2010, 1:20 am

bushwakka wrote:
Smokey wrote:My gf has a test unit and I must say when it works it works good....much better than the EVDO stick she has, BUT!!!

In most areas the coverage sucks balls....I live a mere 1km from a cell tower and when you're next to it, its amazing, but when ur at my home (1km from cell tower, which you can see from the porch), EVDO works better!

I can't believe TSTT wasted millions on this as its really not that much of an upgrade over EVDO.

I forsee a lot of people not liking it.

Don't even know why TSTT bothered to do this.....no one really wanted this, it's f*cking 3G the nation is begging for!

Imagine loading a page on my Ipone taking 2 to 5mins....I've seen my cousin's Iphone loading up the same site in 10secs or less in FL on AT&T's much bad mouthed 'slow' 3G network.

F*CKING 2G EDGE!!! is the best we can do in Trini??? eh?

And I read Digicel want to do WiMAX too? Are these companies stupid or are we trini's just dumb and don't know what we're missing out?

what does the cell tower hav to do with WiMax tech?...can 3g and 4g support 100 Mbps+?

Uh....where do you think the WiMAX antennas are? on the cell towers, duh.

Those 100mbps+ speeds quoted are always very misleading, they depend on so much factors and resources all being dedicated to one user. TSTT does not have the spectrum, equipment capacity and devices capable of achieving anything past 10mbits....on their 4G WiMAX....that's why it's being capped at 1, 2 and 4mbit packages.

If they were to do 3G expect even slower speeds.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » April 3rd, 2010, 9:37 am

^ok....but doesn't the wimax technology natively support higher speeds than 4g? even though it isn't well implemented here....is that a reason to shoot down the technology?

does the wimax signal drop faster the further u move away from the access pt than the 4g signal?

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » April 3rd, 2010, 9:42 am

bushwakka wrote:^ok....but doesn't the wimax technology natively support higher speeds than 4g? even though it isn't well implemented here....is that a reason to shoot down the technology?

does the wimax signal drop faster the further u move away from the access pt than the 4g signal?

WiMAX is 4G, don't confuse it with LTE which is also 4G but a different set of standards etc. Both roughly capable of the same speeds.

And yes, TSTT's WiMAX use the 2.5GHz spectrum which definitely progates less than existing GSM and EVDO Networks. Thus the poor signal strength seen right now.

I'm not shooting down the technology per say, I'm just letting you know that 100mbits speeds are definitely not realistic at all.

I've used TSTT's WiMAX and it's not a huge improvement over the existing EVDO.

That's why I would have prefered 3G UMTs so that I can finally use my phones browser outside my WiFi access points, because EDGE is just tooo freaking slow for any serious web browsing.

$NOCTURNAL$

Postby $NOCTURNAL$ » April 9th, 2010, 12:52 am

I applied for d service and evrything..d representative i spoke to said go yesterday for d router..when i went dey have none...steupss....but hear dis na...anyboy have a workin numbr for sando tstt branch so i cud find out wen dey get? d numbr i got from d representative not workin....werd

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 9th, 2010, 6:38 am

I was told within 24-48hrs a TSTT rep wud contact me..am still waiting and its over a week now.
Someone I had applied for at the same time I applied for mine, got a call from TSTT and was told tht they out of stock right now.

Is it TSTT on St. James Street in Sando tht dealing with this?

$NOCTURNAL$

Postby $NOCTURNAL$ » April 9th, 2010, 10:19 am

well when u call dey say to go to the nearest tstt office an TSTT on St. James street is the closest to me.. They nevr even told me about a rep contactin me...they said that when they get the stock which would"might" be next to weeks, i would have to go bak and collect it..their numbr isnt even workin so i wudnt even knw if they got i not goin an make a waste run wuite down dere...dey givin me a headache yes

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 9th, 2010, 12:43 pm

I called 6411 for directory assistance and was told the only # they have for TSTT was 824TSTT :roll:
I had called to ask for Trincity TSTT # :roll:

benko
Ricer

Postby benko » April 9th, 2010, 12:57 pm

summary of package ad I got recently:

Blink On the Go is a 3rd generation 3G only data services that offers a mobile wireless data solution. It provides users with typical download speeds of up to 700 Kbps. Blink On the Go service packages are limited in usage.
Blink On the Go Turbo offers mobile wireless data services on both TSTT 3G and 4G networks. It provides users with typical download speed of up to 2Mbps. Blink On the Go- Turbo service packages are unlimited in usage.

BLINK ON THE GO TURBO Pricing and Terms
• Activation fee $690.00
• Blink on the go Turbo modem $1,610.00
– No Activation Fee and Free Modem with 1 year contract or more
• Monthly Access Fee
– 1yr contract $475.00
– 2 yr contract $429.00
All Prices Vat Inclusive

Only 3G/4G modems supplied by TSTT can be used for Blink On the Go Turbo
** only a USB modem is mentioned since it is meant to be mobile service

noobie
Street 2NR

Postby noobie » April 9th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Sky wrote:I was told that Digicel will be using this locally soon also.

God I hope not.

This Technology is going to phase out very soon.

The one that mobile operators should move to is LTE 4G, not WiMAX.

$NOCTURNAL$

Postby $NOCTURNAL$ » April 9th, 2010, 4:18 pm

today i called TSTT and they said that they received an email yesterday stating that the WiMAX roters/modems were to arrive at the various offices sumtime this evenin...but yet still..is tstt and i sure dey aint get it yet... :cry:

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » April 9th, 2010, 5:40 pm

benko, i believe that is the usb dongle? wrt to on the go turbo.

weedja2

Postby weedja2 » April 9th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Aye peeps the wii is the best console!!!!!!!!!!

ado15mk3
Trinituner Peong

Postby ado15mk3 » April 10th, 2010, 8:47 pm

UPDATE:

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 12th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Anyone called or checked TSTT today abt the modem? :?:

cphider
Street 2NR

Postby cphider » April 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Yes I called, they said Wednesday.

jaceson
Street 2NR

Postby jaceson » April 12th, 2010, 8:54 pm

was getting those low speeds since last night but the problem seems to have been sorted out. from what I've seen in another thread, TSTT did some kind of modem upgrade for blink routers. maybe that was the cause

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » April 13th, 2010, 8:39 am

where are the collection points for this...was supposed to pick it up last fri but they said they dint have any left over when i went..check back this thurs

$NOCTURNAL$

Postby $NOCTURNAL$ » April 13th, 2010, 10:05 am

i called about the modems too yesterday nd dey told me dis month end they were supposed to receive the shipment... so0 i really dunno wen dey actually gettin it

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 13th, 2010, 12:40 pm

So I had called on 1st April 2010 and applied thru 824TSTT and was told within 24-48hrs someone would contact me for more info etc.
I got no call. So today I went in to TSTT St James St and met with a woman there who want to give me attitude abt I should know how I spoke to and to call them back to ask abt my application because she not seeing any record of my application.
I said since I already at TSTT I want to redo the application now. She said she cannot do tht and tht I should call and find out who I spoke to before. I was like WTF. I told her thanks for nothing and left.
I called 824TSTT and got same spanish sounding woman. I told her I made application and no one contacted me. She asked if I gave ID# etc before. I said no you told me someone would contact me for that.
So she said well I can take the application now but she wants to check if I have service in my area.
So after all this she comes back to say no wimax service in my area and I could try other option such as Blink on the Go. :roll:

So nothing for me yet again. :roll:

shottah_crew
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby shottah_crew » April 24th, 2010, 11:02 am

Let me Preface by saying I literally have no internet choices apart from Data sim. The phone lines messed up and TSTT not changing them so we does hardly hear over the phone far less for BLINK. Also FLOW coming for the last year, finally reach, set up the hotspot in Church's and nuttin after that. Nuff said bout dat.

Had decent EVDO reception when I as with them.Took the Blink turo ting, but now I getting 2-3 bars 3g (not sure the max amt of bars to depict full signal) and connecting at 230Kbps while 4G forever searching for signal. Funny thing is that according to the map on the website, I in a 4G area...

Anyone can confirm 4G in their area, at least close to me? Any better than just the 3G surfing?

I created my own therad cuz I did a search for 4G and didnt come up with much.

My thread: {Here}

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » April 24th, 2010, 8:04 pm

I see the Blink prepaid is really the wimax. You have to pay $599 for the modem.
But depends on if service in your area.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » May 1st, 2010, 4:25 pm

The lady I applied for, she got a call to collect her modem last week. She said she's happy with the service and cud take the modem anywhere and get service.
Don't know when service would reach in my area. I don't understand wht service is needed? If its cell reception I have great reception where I live.

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » May 1st, 2010, 4:30 pm

Gem_in_i wrote:The lady I applied for, she got a call to collect her modem last week. She said she's happy with the service and cud take the modem anywhere and get service.
Don't know when service would reach in my area. I don't understand wht service is needed? If its cell reception I have great reception where I live.

From what I understand, WiMAX is only installed on about 100 cell towers. And even still, the coverage is half of what GSM signals carry.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » May 1st, 2010, 4:34 pm

Oh, they have to install something on a cell tower :?
Well then tht might never reach by me. :shock:

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 2nd, 2010, 4:04 pm

but even if u not getting the 4g wimax signal it would still work on 3g right? and thus get prepaid service via the 3g network

15devils
Trinituner Peong

Postby 15devils » May 2nd, 2010, 5:45 pm

^^^nope...wimax only 4g......blink on the go turbo,which is $475 per month,unlimited access,use anywhere,uses both 4g and 3g

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » May 2nd, 2010, 6:11 pm

redmanjp wrote:but even if u not getting the 4g wimax signal it would still work on 3g right? and thus get prepaid service via the 3g network

Nope....unless they start selling dual mode devices.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 2nd, 2010, 6:37 pm

blink website:

yeah i know wimax only uses 4g, but I saw a pic of the on the go Turbo modem which has both a wimax & evdo signal light- but there is also another square black box- so is it that with prepaid u only getting d box not the usb modem so u would only get 4g signals with it?

http://www.blinkbroadband.tt/index.cfm/ ... reviewid=0

http://www.blinkbroadband.tt/index.cfm/ ... 0,html/FAQ

FAQ

How do I sign up for Blink Broadband Prepaid?

New Prepaid Subscribers can visit any bMobile retail store or TSTT Public Office to apply for this service. Customers will have to purchase their Blink Broadband WiMAX modem for $599.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”