TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

TSTT WiMax 4G/Hotspot and HSPA+ Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » May 3rd, 2010, 11:31 am

^^ you can only purchase it depending on if they say service is in your area.
If you have a landline you don't have to pay for the modem, if you don't then they would consider you prepaid and you pay for the modem.

Wonder if I could borrow the lady one and test it by me :?

demented
Riding on 17's

Postby demented » May 3rd, 2010, 11:35 am

I sugned up over a month now and I am still waiting for Blink to connect me. :?

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » May 4th, 2010, 5:43 am

^^ You should call them to find out if your application is there and the status...cud be like mine and they didnt have it in the system.

shottah_crew
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: TSTT WiMax - review

Postby shottah_crew » May 12th, 2010, 7:21 pm

There is the EVDO (3G) and the WIMAX (4G) on the device. You can connect to either of the networks, whichever is available (just says "Searching 4G networks" on my Modem). Unfortunately I am not living in a 4G area so I can't says how well that works, but the EVDO works just as the previous version, just there is no limit.

achillies
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby achillies » May 12th, 2010, 8:16 pm

WiMAX from TSTT, hmmm wonder how it would work when customers really start using it and start putting load on the system..

punisher
Ricer

Postby punisher » May 12th, 2010, 8:29 pm

inefficiency of TSTT again

heshere2001
Street 2NR

Postby heshere2001 » May 12th, 2010, 10:25 pm

You would think that the place so small that these reception issues could be sorted out and a real mobile network, even 3gish could be deployed......

But no.

Thanks Tstt. Thanks Digicel. Wimax for the fail.

LTE is the future.

shottah_crew
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby shottah_crew » May 13th, 2010, 10:09 am

heshere2001 wrote:Thanks Tstt. Thanks Digicel. Wimax for the fail.

LTE is the future.

Future? Yeah, but maybe when they have 6G and 7G at the rate them goin...

ado15mk3
Trinituner Peong

Postby ado15mk3 » June 3rd, 2010, 8:34 am

Can someone tell me how to go about setting up a wireless network using this wimax antenna:
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/p ... treeId=742

Can you also recommend a router and a cost?

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » June 4th, 2010, 6:43 am

I thought it was already wireless? The woman who has it uses wifi and she didnt buy anything extra.

Well now everyone on her street getting it and I, the one who did the application for her, have none .
So I went into TSTT and asked if service in my area yet and was told no. I asked when is it expected and the usual response is they dont know but tht 2nd phase should start.

More sounds like dont know if you would ever get service .

So they trying to push Blink on the Go on me but why would I pay almost $500 for tht.

eekipoo
Sweet on this forum

Postby eekipoo » June 5th, 2010, 1:53 pm

I've been using the Blink on the go for about a month now. So far so good no problems except for reception in some area like where i live. When i'm outside the country i get good signal. I was able to connect to the 4g network once or twice most of the times it says searching for signal, but when i was connected i downloaded a 2.46GB file in about 2hr so i guess thats pretty good for a wireless device. I cant really complain it's working fine and i'm not paying for it.... :-)

Kish
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Kish » June 24th, 2010, 3:49 pm

my speed test results on the 4G WiMAX
i've tested the evdo and got about 1/2 to 3/4 that bandwidth. mostly use the 4G anyway. the modem can do both

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » August 22nd, 2010, 9:07 am

Blink on the Go price is reduced and now unlimited but tht also not working by me so they said it's not recommended.
And the usual story from TSTT, 'we are doing upgrades'.

noobie
Street 2NR

Postby noobie » August 22nd, 2010, 11:20 am

shottah_crew wrote:

LTE is the future.

The developed countries like the US and Europe are going with LTE.

Over 40 manufacturers are going with LTE. So all the latest phones will be using LTE first, and maybe a WiMAX version later, if ever.

So manufacturers are now dumping WiMAX on third world and developing nations, citing cheaper costs and rollout fees.

The thing is that once LTE reaches critical mass (2011), there isn't going to be a cost advantage to WiMAX anymore.

LTE 4G can handle both top end Phones and Rural internet.

Analysts are already calling this battle in favor of LTE. Pretty soon we are going to have the equivalent of HD-Dvd in the Caribbean when everyone else is using BluRay.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » August 22nd, 2010, 1:33 pm

noobie wrote:
shottah_crew wrote:

LTE is the future.

Over 40 manufacturers are going with LTE. So all the latest phones will be using LTE first, and maybe a WiMAX version later, if ever.

So manufacturers are now dumping WiMAX on third world and developing nations, citing cheaper costs and rollout fees.

The thing is that once LTE reaches critical mass (2011), there isn't going to be a cost advantage to WiMAX anymore.

Analysts are already calling this battle in favor of LTE. Pretty soon we are going to have the equivalent of HD-Dvd in the Caribbean when everyone else is using BluRay.

LTE phones won't be affordable to the common man till 2013. The big providers need to push this technology to bring down the cost, then our local providers will follow suit.

noobie
Street 2NR

Postby noobie » August 22nd, 2010, 2:21 pm

shaneelal wrote:
noobie wrote:
shottah_crew wrote:

LTE is the future.

LTE phones won't be affordable to the common man till 2013. The big providers need to push this technology to bring down the cost, then our local providers will follow suit.

They already have brought the price down. With all the rollouts going on around the world, and the fact that manufacturers are already ramping up for production of these new phones, they are NOT going to be any more expensive than the smartphones with 3G on the market today.

We could start seeing LTE phones at retail by the end of this year and definitely early 2011.

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » August 22nd, 2010, 6:35 pm

noobie wrote:
shaneelal wrote:
noobie wrote:
shottah_crew wrote:

LTE is the future.

They already have brought the price down. With all the rollouts going on around the world, and the fact that manufacturers are already ramping up for production of these new phones, they are NOT going to be any more expensive than the smartphones with 3G on the market today.

We could start seeing LTE phones at retail by the end of this year and definitely early 2011.

Not true....LTE phones will be significantly higher than the current 3G phones because, 3G phones right now are dirt cheap.....LTE radio module is gonna cost at least 3 to 4 times as much as the current 3G radio modules. Remember, it's a new technology with more stringent requirements and processing.

LTE phones are coming, but they're not going to be mass market until may later 2011......also unless Iphone is brought to Verizon, an Iphone 4G is atleast 2 years away as AT&T is almost 2 years behind Verizon in 4G deployment.

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » August 22nd, 2010, 6:49 pm

noobie wrote:
shottah_crew wrote:

LTE is the future.

Again, this isn't totally true.....WiMAX won't die. While it will never become a mainstream Cellular Broadband format, it was always meant for more fixed wireless applications and wireless broadband (not on phones, but on laptops). Look at the what Sprint and Clearwater have deployed in the US....you think TSTT's Blink on the go WiMAX will disappear once the launch LTE? Why would they clog up the system with Mobile phone users and real internet users? Keep them separate and not congest the system.

You must also realize that WiMAX network deployment is not significantly cheaper than 3G. In fact, if TSTT or Digicel were to go 3G they'd save money in the long run in terms of Network Capex as a lot of the same equipment is easily upgraded to LTE from 3G.....not so with WiMAX.

WiMAX however made sense to 'poorer' nations because, the user devices are cheaper than 3G devices which are already dirt cheap, so you can imagine how cheap they are. These devices are always a significant cost. TSTT is giving away Blink on the Go 4G modems...

Also, WiMAX and LTE share very similar technology and therefore can achieve almost equal speeds.....and one is here now (WiMAX) and readily available, the other is still a year away from being commercially launched.

There's an even bigger factor at play here.....TATT.....which has awarded large amounts of spectrum in the 2.5GHz band for WiMAX.....I think both TSTT and Digicel has 50 MHz each....which allows for very fast data rates and a lot of capacity for growth.

TATT hasn't awarded any significant amount of spectrum for LTE. Therefore, even if TSTT or Digi were to launch LTE, they'd have such limited spectrum that the max speeds would be 1mbit.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » August 22nd, 2010, 8:26 pm

Smokey wrote:
noobie wrote:
shottah_crew wrote:

LTE is the future.

Again, this isn't totally true.....WiMAX won't die. While it will never become a mainstream Cellular Broadband format, it was always meant for more fixed wireless applications and wireless broadband (not on phones, but on laptops). Look at the what Sprint and Clearwater have deployed in the US....you think TSTT's Blink on the go WiMAX will disappear once the launch LTE? Why would they clog up the system with Mobile phone users and real internet users? Keep them separate and not congest the system.

You must also realize that WiMAX network deployment is not significantly cheaper than 3G. In fact, if TSTT or Digicel were to go 3G they'd save money in the long run in terms of Network Capex as a lot of the same equipment is easily upgraded to LTE from 3G.....not so with WiMAX.

WiMAX however made sense to 'poorer' nations because, the user devices are cheaper than 3G devices which are already dirt cheap, so you can imagine how cheap they are. These devices are always a significant cost. TSTT is giving away Blink on the Go 4G modems...

Also, WiMAX and LTE share very similar technology and therefore can achieve almost equal speeds.....and one is here now (WiMAX) and readily available, the other is still a year away from being commercially launched.

There's an even bigger factor at play here.....TATT.....which has awarded large amounts of spectrum in the 2.5GHz band for WiMAX.....I think both TSTT and Digicel has 50 MHz each....which allows for very fast data rates and a lot of capacity for growth.

TATT hasn't awarded any significant amount of spectrum for LTE. Therefore, even if TSTT or Digi were to launch LTE, they'd have such limited spectrum that the max speeds would be 1mbit.

Very informative post. During RFI presentations by the big players in the LTE market Alcatel, Nokia Siemens etc.. they stated that LTE phones etc won't be cheap as current phones are until approx. 2013. Most people in Trinidad have non smart phones and those that do a small portion actually use the features. If any company in Trinidad has to adopt this technology, the devices will have to be cheap such that it won't have to be heavily subsidized.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » September 15th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Is it true that the WiMax is currently prepaid? just spoke with someone working tstt..not in that sector tho and she said that it's currently prepaid and u pay per bandwidth use..is that true?
i was of the notion that u pay a fixed price for the 2mb package...unlimited!

Kish
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Kish » September 15th, 2010, 7:19 pm

the on the go turbo is unlimited, but if u want the wifi router w/ wimax at home that one is prepaid.

kinda doh make sense but anyhow..... these nights i gettin trouble to get an ip address on the wimax though.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » September 15th, 2010, 7:20 pm

scotty_buttons wrote:Is it true that the WiMax is currently prepaid? just spoke with someone working tstt..not in that sector tho and she said that it's currently prepaid and u pay per bandwidth use..is that true?
i was of the notion that u pay a fixed price for the 2mb package...unlimited!

There are both prepaid and unlimited packages-

http://www.blinkbroadband.tt/index.cfm/1,106,0,0,html/BLINK-for-Home#/ajax/home_all_packages.cfm?previewid=0

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » September 15th, 2010, 7:28 pm

dude, which one is wimax..cuz i not seeing any there..jus the normal broadband modem and blink on the go
but thanks geekerzone..that really doh make sense for real eh..guess il go wit blink on the go for now

Kish
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Kish » September 15th, 2010, 7:30 pm

on the go TURBO is wimax and evdo using the usb dongle. the prepaid one is wimax at home using a wimax router

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » September 15th, 2010, 7:53 pm

ohh ok ok i see it now..sorry..my bad :lol:
thanks!

Nighttroll
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nighttroll » September 16th, 2010, 8:17 am

I went to TSTT to find out if there is service for the wimax in my area and if there is then I wanna sign up...
They located my house on google map with the signal strength shown bordering yellow and green and said i'm good to go with wimax.
Then said, this is only for users that signed up for blink that they cannot provide the service to because of lack of facilities in their exchange.
So the woman went and talk to a few people and came back and said that my area has no more provision to provide blink to any more customers. This i know about a year ago because i enquired about blink and they said the same. I do not have a lan line. My neighbours have lan line and have no choice but to go with greendot since there is no more provision for additional blink customers in my area.
So they have confirmed that i cannot get blink on a lan line.
They said the only way i can get the wimax modem is to apply for a lan line, then apply for blink , wait for them to tell me no more blink in my area and only then i will get the wimax modem. Then disconnect the lan line.
I said doesn't make sense to apply for a lan line when both of us already know that i can't get the blink over a lan line. That is the only way i'm going to get it they said.
They going to make me waste $200 and more to apply for a lan line that we know doesn't work for blink, waste their technician time to come install the lan line, i'll have to pay again to have the lan line disconnected when i do get the wimax. So much unnecessary steps , time and money wasted.
I said this lan line is no use for me if i can't get blink on it. That is the only way to get the wimax modem.
Eventually i got the demo modem for a day to check for the signal at home and it was excellent and signed up for the lan line the next day...
That is a real stupid way to do business, waste everybody time and make me waste my money.. I even offer to pay to apply for a line and pay to get it disconnected but have no technician to come install it .They said i have to go with procedure.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » September 24th, 2010, 6:09 am

They have demo modem?
I was told tht no wimax service in my area but she said if I knew someone with the wimax modem I could borrow it to see if itstill works because tht can happen.
She said they doing upgrades, I asked when...she said knowing tstt I doubt it would ever upgrade.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » September 24th, 2010, 6:27 am

Remember that they have to deploy at a alot more sites than CDMA due to higher frequency of WimAX being used. It'll take them time to roll out to more than 300 sites.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » September 24th, 2010, 6:44 am

Seems to me they have wimax in areas tht already have Blink.
They should come in areas like mine to upgrade.....we have no Blink, wimax or Blink on the go service and also no Flow. So other option is Greendot....

demented
Riding on 17's

Postby demented » September 25th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Nighttroll wrote:I went to TSTT to find out if there is service for the wimax in my area and if there is then I wanna sign up...
They located my house on google map with the signal strength shown bordering yellow and green and said i'm good to go with wimax.
Then said, this is only for users that signed up for blink that they cannot provide the service to because of lack of facilities in their exchange.
So the woman went and talk to a few people and came back and said that my area has no more provision to provide blink to any more customers. This i know about a year ago because i enquired about blink and they said the same. I do not have a lan line. My neighbours have lan line and have no choice but to go with greendot since there is no more provision for additional blink customers in my area.
So they have confirmed that i cannot get blink on a lan line.
They said the only way i can get the wimax modem is to apply for a lan line, then apply for blink , wait for them to tell me no more blink in my area and only then i will get the wimax modem. Then disconnect the lan line.
I said doesn't make sense to apply for a lan line when both of us already know that i can't get the blink over a lan line. That is the only way i'm going to get it they said.
They going to make me waste $200 and more to apply for a lan line that we know doesn't work for blink, waste their technician time to come install the lan line, i'll have to pay again to have the lan line disconnected when i do get the wimax. So much unnecessary steps , time and money wasted.
I said this lan line is no use for me if i can't get blink on it. That is the only way to get the wimax modem.
Eventually i got the demo modem for a day to check for the signal at home and it was excellent and signed up for the lan line the next day...
That is a real stupid way to do business, waste everybody time and make me waste my money.. I even offer to pay to apply for a line and pay to get it disconnected but have no technician to come install it .They said i have to go with procedure.

What area is this? I was told something similar...got the land line installed (only worked for total 3 non consecutive weeks) and applied for blink broadband. Up to now ( after I give back up the landline because it not working, techs come about 5 times to reapir and not getting through, and bills coming with all sorts of calls being made) no Blink rep come by me or even call. TSTT is the worst!!!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”