Forums

:: The official TOOLS thread ::

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: :: The official TOOLS thread ::

Postby pugboy » January 29th, 2019, 8:22 am

consider yourself lucky to not have major eye damage.

The dewalt cordless lithium I have is pretty strong and gets a good few cuts with a 4.0ah battery
I use it all the time when buying steel to cut them in half to transport on pickup.

Angle grinder technique is indeed something to always be mindful off esp with cutting
I always try to cut standing over to direct the fragments between my legs and behind me.

I prefer to use the very thin cutting discs as they cut faster at the expense of shorter life.

I had a 7" grinder and sold it because i was afraid of power and danger.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 29th, 2019, 8:34 am

If you know how i hate using angle grinder eh.
I does have my m12 fuel hackzall in the car at all times. That cutting tru everything that i might need to cut tru

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 8:58 am

pugboy wrote:consider yourself lucky to not have major eye damage.

The dewalt cordless lithium I have is pretty strong and gets a good few cuts with a 4.0ah battery
I use it all the time when buying steel to cut them in half to transport on pickup.

Angle grinder technique is indeed something to always be mindful off esp with cutting
I always try to cut standing over to direct the fragments between my legs and behind me.

I prefer to use the very thin cutting discs as they cut faster at the expense of shorter life.

I had a 7" grinder and sold it because i was afraid of power and danger.

Smart. If a grinder "kicks," it will kick in the direction opposite to where the sparks are flying.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 29th, 2019, 11:03 am

already have that m12 fuel hackzall with d 4.0 batt on my list to buy ... i see it online for around us$134

i saw diablo makes some nice carbide teeth blades for it ^ so i will be buying that too

for 4.5" grinders get d thin 1\16-1\8" for cutting & thicker 3\16-1\4" made for grinding - dont use them vice versa , this is why i own 2 machines so i dont have to waste time changing out blades

it will kick back is if d discs get squeezed between metal or ur using d machine at a odd angle while d blade is in motion , allow d machine to work & not force it

u can always get a face shield for more protection that just safety glasses , ear muffs makes a grinder sound way less noisy

we all know what safety equipment to get but in d heat of d moment we forget it until u get damage ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 29th, 2019, 11:13 am

we used to have a 9" old skool bosch grinder that was over 20yrs old , that machine was a killer , it never met any thing it couldnt go thru , had to brace urself to control it , had some good weight to it too ... lent a relative it , bandits held them up & stole it & a milwaukee 4.5" i had too .... :(

hadda get back a heavy duty grinder for d tough jobs ...

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 11:37 am

I need an excuse to get one of these:Image

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » January 29th, 2019, 1:15 pm

hydroep wrote:Plenty people (mihself included) does "take a chance" running equipment without guards, not wearing safety equipment etc. because it is usually more convenient...until something happens that is.

As they say, yuh does have to "burn to learn".

That is not something to chance. especially them wackermen operating without the guard on the machine face shield etc. oh the machine doesn't wuk good with the guard on. there's no compromise to safety.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 1:38 pm

^^ I see some people wrapped head to toe but with no hearing protection.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 29th, 2019, 2:03 pm

^ people don't realize that even a hammer on a nail could go up to 120dB, repeatedly.
I using a 3M earmuffs right through for everything.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 3:08 pm

maj. tom wrote:^ people don't realize that even a hammer on a nail could go up to 120dB, repeatedly.
I agree. If you aren't using hearing protection every time, the damage just gets worse.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » January 29th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Eyes , limbs , not putting on proper shoes / gloves and then running in hospital ahead of everyone else grandmother when they come in bleeding. Don’t forget the classical on/off switch not working so men have to pull the plug to start and stop a machine

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 29th, 2019, 3:52 pm

It's not only the damage but the mental fatigue
I always wear earplugs when using a chop saw or lot of angle grinder

The difference in mental tiredness from the loud noise later is very noticeable.

adnj wrote:
maj. tom wrote:^ people don't realize that even a hammer on a nail could go up to 120dB, repeatedly.
I agree. If you aren't using hearing protection every time, the damage just gets worse.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 29th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Was never a fan of earmuffs, I prefer earplugs.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » January 29th, 2019, 4:27 pm

a respirator and ear plugs/muffs are must have when cutting or sanding wood/mdf

i cant do without a ear muff/plug when using hammer drill, grinder etc...

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 5:09 pm

X_Factor wrote:a respirator and ear plugs/muffs are must have when cutting or sanding wood/mdf

i cant do without a ear muff/plug when using hammer drill, grinder etc...

Sounds like you may be okay. The ability to withstand loud noises is a key indicator of hearing loss.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 29th, 2019, 5:28 pm

boy I sure i have damaged my hearing

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » January 29th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Ordered this from Amazon and got it today. I use this to look at brakes on cars without taking off the wheels etc had one before but I forgot it in someone's engine bay and it "disappeared" according to them lol
IMG_20190129_184252.jpeg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 1st, 2019, 11:18 am

anybody here own a mortiser machine ?

thinking of buying 1 just for d fun of doing wood working projects ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 1st, 2019, 3:43 pm

I built a router mortise jig to use with my plunge router but never really got started on it
Did buy all the necessary bits to make the loose tenons though

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 2nd, 2019, 12:27 pm

^^^i read\saw that option too but if i decide to buy it i rather a dedicated machine

was reading up\youtube on d FESTOOL DOMINO - sweet machine that makes life plenty easier but at us$1000 i doubt a hobbyist springing for that , if i was somebody doing a living wood working for a living i wud close my eyes & buy it though

looking at a biscuit cutter too , at around us$180 for a dewalt that eh so bad ... for power tools i really dont like buying d lesser know name brands

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 2nd, 2019, 12:43 pm

^^ Companies like Festool, Metabo and Fein tend to be very well made and very expensive. If you don't benefit from their dealer network and service after the sale, you miss a lot of the benefits of the premium brands.
Last edited by adnj on February 2nd, 2019, 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 2nd, 2019, 1:02 pm

Festool pricing really kinda hot even for professional shops.

I have looked at the diy versions of the festool domino and they actually not hard to make use use a small laminate trimmer type router instead of a big heavy plunge router.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUstwp ... sFb8s79bWs

I plan to get my router mortise jig working soon.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 2nd, 2019, 6:58 pm

aah i see u watch stumpy nubs too - great channel , he was a bit corny back then but i more like his todays a lil older more mature style

i rather buy something at a reasonable justified cost than macgyver up something that may work so-so some of d times or u gotta keep fiddling with it to get it to work right ... thats just me

like across all fields there are always that handful of quality priced products 5 times or more above d next below level of brands that most of us wouldnt ever own , so we comfort ourselves saying it over priced , used to say that in earlies when i had black & decker or skil then made d leap to stuff from makita\dewalt\bosch\milwaukee etc , when u use d much better built good stuff is like kicking urself , shuda done it yrsss ago & u never going back

anyway will continue working with my good brands for now & 1 day will try d elite stuff ...

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 2nd, 2019, 7:08 pm

M_2NR wrote:Tool Store (L&G) in POS has the Toro blowers (originally $300) on a sorta sale for $150. Limited stock. They are not in box because the box was damaged. The blowers working great still though. At $150 that is more than a steal.
I meant to say thanks for posting this earlier. I had been planning on buying one and your post came up just in time.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 2nd, 2019, 8:01 pm

Macgyver lol

Rovin wrote:aah i see u watch stumpy nubs too - great channel , he was a bit corny back then but i more like his todays a lil older more mature style

i rather buy something at a reasonable justified cost than macgyver up something that may work so-so some of d times or u gotta keep fiddling with it to get it to work right ... thats just me

like across all fields there are always that handful of quality priced products 5 times or more above d next below level of brands that most of us wouldnt ever own , so we comfort ourselves saying it over priced , used to say that in earlies when i had black & decker or skil then made d leap to stuff from makita\dewalt\bosch\milwaukee etc , when u use d much better built good stuff is like kicking urself , shuda done it yrsss ago & u never going back

anyway will continue working with my good brands for now & 1 day will try d elite stuff ...

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » February 2nd, 2019, 9:54 pm

got this for a good price
the hammer works surprisingly good
20190202_204903.jpeg

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » February 2nd, 2019, 10:39 pm

i recently got a Milwaukee 2656-20 M18 1/4 Inch Lithium Ion Hex Impact Driver to replace my non fuel 1/4 m12. size isnt much of a jump, quality of the the m12 is much more impressive, its a first gen.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2019, 10:06 am

been looking at all the diy festool domino videos and the design seems to work well.
I gonna make one soon, just ordered a bosch small router for it.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 5th, 2019, 11:08 am

i have a bosch trim router a few yrs going , works good

may order another router , i dont like to stop working to change out bits

i read in a youtube comment a while back how a guy has 35 routers : 1 for each type of bit he uses .... i eh so extreme , i mainly use about 5 types of bits

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 5th, 2019, 4:03 pm

The only catch with the diy Domino is that those trim routers only come with 1/4" shaft and the biggest plunge bit will be 3/8", so limited to 3/8 tenons.
Also the nice upcut spiral full carbide bits don't come in 1/4"

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”