PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nicholasfabulous
Street 2NR

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby nicholasfabulous » June 10th, 2019, 9:12 pm

HCCA wrote:
nicholasfabulous wrote:Anyone has a used 1155 socket motherboard for sale resonable I had a asus pro series that got a surge need a board ASAP

What CPU u have?

Intel 3770k

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 11th, 2019, 12:08 pm

good day fellahs. have a game-related question, but before i will pre-answer expected questions;
1) yes, i was living under a big boulder dat fall off a JS truck for the last few years
2) I don't care for a gaming console as i have a pc.

Are all PC games coming thru Steam/ digital download only now? No CD?
I downloaded CODMW3 in 2012 thru 'torrents' but that was on a laptop. for reasons, i don't want to add a PCI card on the tower, as well i don't want a CC.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 11th, 2019, 12:11 pm

viedcht wrote:good day fellahs. have a game-related question, but before i will pre-answer expected questions;
1) yes, i was living under a big boulder dat fall off a JS truck for the last few years
2) I don't care for a gaming console as i have a pc.

Are all PC games coming thru Steam/ digital download only now? No CD?
I downloaded CODMW3 in 2012 thru 'torrents' but that was on a laptop. for reasons, i don't want to add a PCI card on the tower, as well i don't want a CC.
Pretty much... If it's on PC it's going to be digital distribution.

What is the PCI card you don't want to add?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 11th, 2019, 12:19 pm

kamakazi wrote:

Don't want to sound paranoid, but i paranoid, haha...
i just want to keep my tower offline, i mostly use it to keep accounts, do taxes, and game. since i unemployed as of this month, was going to catch up on some gaming. came across this game Scorn, and was thinking of getting it.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » June 11th, 2019, 12:23 pm

viedcht wrote:
kamakazi wrote:

Don't want to sound paranoid, but i paranoid, haha...
i just want to keep my tower offline, i mostly use it to keep accounts, do taxes, and game. since i unemployed as of this month, was going to catch up on some gaming. came across this game Scorn, and was thinking of getting it.

Once you not Overclocking you should be fine.

I use my pc for work also and it's overcloked. I have yet to experience fail.

If you are worried about losing work. I bought a small Synology nas that backs up my data in raid

You more likely to have hard drive failure that cpu and gpu

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 11th, 2019, 2:39 pm

src1983 wrote:
Once you not Overclocking you should be fine.

I use my pc for work also and it's overcloked. I have yet to experience fail.

If you are worried about losing work. I bought a small Synology nas that backs up my data in raid

You more likely to have hard drive failure that cpu and gpu

hey thanks... will try that

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 11th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I'm guessing you are referring to a wireless adapter... Cause most boards have a built in network connector.

Understood man.

While most games are digitally distributed... Most don't require the machine to be connected to the internet to play unless the game has a multiplayer element.

Besides steam, there is GOG which distributes DRM free games; must say, you are never really sure what has been tampered with if you download a pirated game.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 11th, 2019, 7:30 pm

kamakazi wrote:I'm guessing you are referring to a wireless adapter... Cause most boards have a built in network connector.

Understood man.

While most games are digitally distributed... Most don't require the machine to be connected to the internet to play unless the game has a multiplayer element.

Besides steam, there is GOG which distributes DRM free games; must say, you are never really sure what has been tampered with if you download a pirated game.

Sorry about that... yeah the board has a slot for the card. got a laptop for my online stuff so i guess i can d/d'load on that

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » June 22nd, 2019, 6:23 pm

for gaming should i be looking at upload or download speed

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 23rd, 2019, 12:00 am

Kinda depends on the game... The most important thing is usually ping to the game server or host. Honestly not sure about what speeds are required but I've never run into problems with speed

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » June 23rd, 2019, 6:23 am

fred1266 wrote:for gaming should i be looking at upload or download speed

Latency your greatest foe.

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » June 23rd, 2019, 7:14 am

dont start up e.d. on that topic again please.

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » June 23rd, 2019, 9:17 am

dean_spleen09 wrote:dont start up e.d. on that topic again please.

can you point me to where e.d spoke about it seem i missed that topic

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » June 23rd, 2019, 9:21 am

src1983 wrote:
fred1266 wrote:for gaming should i be looking at upload or download speed

Latency your greatest foe.

i know the term but don't quite understand it

here is the problem i have i most play FIFA so alot of people saying it the connection to the servers cause the lag etc so i was wondering what can help me reduce it

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » June 23rd, 2019, 9:31 am

Lag is due to high latency, since we are in Trinidad and connect to us servers most times I have never seen a ping less than 50

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » June 23rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

src1983 wrote:Lag is due to high latency, since we are in Trinidad and connect to us servers most times I have never seen a ping less than 50

ok so am guess 50 is high

so currently my internet is 100 D 20 U, thinking more speed would help i upgraded to 300 D 30 U am i just wasting my money buy taking the higher speed

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 23rd, 2019, 3:08 pm

fred1266 wrote:
src1983 wrote:Lag is due to high latency, since we are in Trinidad and connect to us servers most times I have never seen a ping less than 50

ok so am guess 50 is high

so currently my internet is 100 D 20 U, thinking more speed would help i upgraded to 300 D 30 U am i just wasting my money buy taking the higher speed

that is actually plenty and yes you are wasting your money, unless you make your living on the internet doing youtube/live streaming.

So starting from the top
I have no idea what system you are playing on (PS/Xbox/PC) but there are a lot of things that can contribute to what you experience as lag.

TV input and signal processing; from the time you enter a command on your controller to when the action is displayed on the screen.

Settings too High for the system; generally a problem with PC where there are a lot of settings that can be adjusted and can be set higher than the system can reasonably handle.

Connection to the internet; wired connections are the way to go and I really hope you aren't doing this over wireless as this increases latency and it can be made even worse if you are using a range extender.

The location of the servers you connect to also plays a part in increasing latency or what you experience as lag, as sending and receiving data to a server halfway around the world generally takes longer than one that is located closer to you.

And then there is the game itself as certain games have what is referred to as poor/bad netcode where playing online is difficult in general regardless of available bandwidth. In addition to that real time games tend to suffer the most from latency as against turn based games (generally Collectible Card Games)

I am simplifying a bit and I might have forgotten some things but I hope this helps.

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » June 23rd, 2019, 6:30 pm

ok thks

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » June 23rd, 2019, 11:05 pm

Whats the cheapest printer to run for a home use? need something to print between 1-30 pages per month. Ending up with issues of ink drying up, printing getting super unreliable and ink going up till 120 per unit.

best bet is to buy a cheap AIO printer and some bulk ink? anyone has any of those modded heads with the external inks in a inkjet printer?

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » June 24th, 2019, 7:17 am

Buy a cheap laser printer, toner powder won't dry out like ink

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » June 24th, 2019, 10:32 am

second that.
it'll be the same story with cheap inkjet aio's

best bet is to find a cheap laser printer especially if you're just printing word documents, downside it'll be a good bit more expensive but toners will last you a lot longer and generally more durable

don't recommend stock piling ink btw, that way if you happen to get a dud (which happens a lot) you can still get it changed
Last edited by Spitfir3 on June 27th, 2019, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 26th, 2019, 3:59 pm

so guys just an update for you microsoft was updated windows 10 yet again in line with their 6 month refresh cycle.

the latest edition of windows 10 is 1903 ....seems ok... not seeing anything new added in ....thry fixed a couple things from 1803 ..

all in all is ok.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 22nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

Anybody on a Digicel connection getting signed out from the Playstation Network?

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » July 23rd, 2019, 1:25 pm

Anyone know of the most reputable place to fix a Dell Inspiron laptop? It's shorting out when the lid is moved to open or close it and I don't need a place where every problem is that, "the motherboard blow".

HCCA
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby HCCA » July 23rd, 2019, 2:04 pm

DTAC wrote:Anyone know of the most reputable place to fix a Dell Inspiron laptop? It's shorting out when the lid is moved to open or close it and I don't need a place where every problem is that, "the motherboard blow".

Sounds like the display ribbon cable (signal and or power leads)
Skylinechild might be able to assist u.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 23rd, 2019, 5:55 pm

HCCA wrote:
DTAC wrote:Anyone know of the most reputable place to fix a Dell Inspiron laptop? It's shorting out when the lid is moved to open or close it and I don't need a place where every problem is that, "the motherboard blow".

Sounds like the display ribbon cable (signal and or power leads)
Skylinechild might be able to assist u.

lol...

thanks boi HCCA....thanks eah .... :lol:

DTAC, you need to define "shorting out" for me.
-- is the screen turning on and off?
while the laptop itself remains on ? is the screen flickering ??

HCCA is totally correct - its usually the signal cable / power ribbon cable that needs to be replaced itself.

depending on what type / model of inspiron you got - it may be just one cable -

the cable that leads from the main board and passes through the hinge area and up into the screen.

if you can send me your laptop service tag i can show you the cable that MAY be causing the issue.

DTAC, pm me if necessary.

just finished fixing a toshiba that took a bad tumble... it would even open up to get access to the keyboard.
had to use a drill and etc etc etc etc.

replacement parts and a new SSD later - laptop working again....

have another toshiba that just came in on sunday (21st) for repairs.

Its dead - no power light no nothing ...pressing power button does nothing.
checked the mainboard fuses and DC power jack with meter and they all good board is getting power.

going to turn my attention to the power switch now.

if you guys wanna see some of my repair stuff let me know

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 25th, 2019, 3:28 am

so I recently upgraded my rig and had the opportunity to observe a couple of things.

1. My Hexa-core still feels like my dual-core from before - Kinda happens when most of your tasks are single thread only

2. Spend just a little more on quality components - Certain components transcend builds (like a good case or CPU cooler) but this is only the second time where I spent a little more on my MB and my PSU. The step-up in quality is quite a bit. Motherboard has better fan speed control and more headers. The PSU came with a plugin tester, (instead of having to short the pins yourself) bags to place extra cables, and velcro tie straps.

3. Motherboard marketing is over the top - counting components on a board is no longer a good indication of quality, with redundant cheap parts being placed on the board to make it seem more robust (fake power phases, double chokes, inferior controller chips etc.)

4. I still don't like LEDs - Unfortunately, this is the direction that modern systems are taking with lighting built into the boards as well as RGB controllers. Can't seem to get away from that now.

Current Rig:
EVGA G3 550watt psu
Ryzen 5 2600 (using my old Xigmatek Dark knight S1283 for cooling/not using the stealth cooler)
MSI B450 gaming plus
HD 7790
16gb*2 memory
Samsung 850EVO 500gb (also have 3 other drives with spinning rust.)

Got to thank AMD for keeping intel honest this time around.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » July 25th, 2019, 6:48 am

kamakazi wrote:so I recently upgraded my rig and had the opportunity to observe a couple of things.

1. My Hexa-core still feels like my dual-core from before - Kinda happens when most of your tasks are single thread only

2. Spend just a little more on quality components - Certain components transcend builds (like a good case or CPU cooler) but this is only the second time where I spent a little more on my MB and my PSU. The step-up in quality is quite a bit. Motherboard has better fan speed control and more headers. The PSU came with a plugin tester, (instead of having to short the pins yourself) bags to place extra cables, and velcro tie straps.

3. Motherboard marketing is over the top - counting components on a board is no longer a good indication of quality, with redundant cheap parts being placed on the board to make it seem more robust (fake power phases, double chokes, inferior controller chips etc.)

4. I still don't like LEDs - Unfortunately, this is the direction that modern systems are taking with lighting built into the boards as well as RGB controllers. Can't seem to get away from that now.

Current Rig:
EVGA G3 550watt psu
Ryzen 5 2600 (using my old Xigmatek Dark knight S1283 for cooling/not using the stealth cooler)
MSI B450 gaming plus
HD 7790
16gb*2 memory

Pics??

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 25th, 2019, 3:52 pm

The rig rev.6.jpg

The rig ext rev.6.jpg

Yes, cable management is non-existent, but it works for me.
While the board and the CPU cooler fan has LEDs, I can't see them.

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » July 26th, 2019, 9:20 am

kamakazi wrote:so I recently upgraded my rig and had the opportunity to observe a couple of things.

only if you doing heavy gaming and want higher than 60fps youd see the difference alot more with CPU

yup higher end parts excluding GPU and CPU doesnt cost alot more for a better quality PSU or storage and RAM...even MOBOs can be had at decent price for mid level stuff over the price you wouldve paid for basic entry level

i stick mostly with MSI and ASUS for this same reason...Gigabyte decent too but heard their BIOS updates not all that

RBG is life dawg wam to u? :lol:

Current Rig:
EVGA G3 550watt psu
MSI B450 gaming plus
HD 7790
16gb*2 memory

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”