Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Chimera » October 21st, 2017, 12:26 pm

lol yes my bad

thanks for the advice

Dylz305
Street 2NR

Postby Dylz305 » October 22nd, 2017, 11:06 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:yeah he doh rly wanna spend more money, i see the ddr4 ram starting at $100 USD

what would be the best options if he using the ddr3 ram he has now?

If I had to use DDr3, i would go with an i7 4770/4790 which would still last a couple years again.
Even an i5 4590 etc would not be too bad if he's strapped on cash since its quad
Also, Ryzen requires high speed RAM to run at it's best, which would require even more cash...

Any basic 80plus bronze/silver PSU from EVGA will hold out since the 1050ti doesn't need additional power.

And cooler....well Hyper 212 Evo ftw...

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 22nd, 2017, 5:23 pm

It is so difficult to recommend someone spend good money behind bad. As DDR3 is considered old news... All the tech that used ddr3 has gone up in price as they stopped making them.

What games does he play BTW

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 22nd, 2017, 5:45 pm

ok guys heres the problem ,

my moms old desktop pc was given to me by a friend i'm a tech guy so i refurbished it a while back - yrs ago -

it originally had
1. intel p4 2.4 GHZ processor
2. 256 mb DDR1 ram
3.no HDD
4. DVD rom and non working CDRW
5 .xp home.

so i refurb it and it now has
1. intel 2.8 GHZ processor
2.2 gig DD1
3.120 SSD
4 optical drives remained as is.
5 win 7 32 bit OEM
6 geforce 8400GS PCI video card

problem is win 7 was working fine over the yrs but now with all the latest updates and software out for it is now too much strain for it and is over taxing ..sometimes even doing a simply thing like light multi tasking takes alot.

so my plan is to use chrome OS on it and give it new life.

the aim is to keep it running as its maxed out performance wise. and no i not buying any parts or spending any $$$ on it nor am i chopping it for parts.

any tuners ever did a chrome OS install and can give tips advice ??

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 22nd, 2017, 6:16 pm

U want to try Linux?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 22nd, 2017, 8:04 pm

Xp ftw

What feature is their in windows 7 that XP doesn't have

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 22nd, 2017, 8:42 pm

sMASH wrote:U want to try Linux?

ummm yes....chome os is based on linux kernel... :roll:

kamakazi wrote:Xp ftw

umm regular security updates and an antivirus that works with that o.s and is able to update and protect effectively... :lol:

iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby iM@st@1 » October 22nd, 2017, 9:57 pm

kamakazi wrote:It is so difficult to recommend someone spend good money behind bad. As DDR3 is considered old news... All the tech that used ddr3 has gone up in price as they stopped making them.

Ddr3 is still relevant today not sure what you talking about spending bad $. I posted a video some pages back highlighting this.

Paired with a 4790k you will have a decent gaming experience for some time.

Also there are many other options other than Amazon to purchase these parts at reasonable prices. You won't purchase brand new ofc.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 22nd, 2017, 10:25 pm

iM@st@1 wrote:
kamakazi wrote:It is so difficult to recommend someone spend good money behind bad. As DDR3 is considered old news... All the tech that used ddr3 has gone up in price as they stopped making them.

Ddr3 is still relevant today not sure what you talking about spending bad $. I posted a video some pages back highlighting this.

Paired with a 4790k you will have a decent gaming experience for some time.

Also there are many other options other than Amazon to purchase these parts at reasonable prices. You won't purchase brand new ofc.

Spending good money behind bad.
Let me spell it out

Let's say you purchase a board and a 4770k... And yes I'm looking at brand new parts as I have no idea of the history of used parts that can be overclocked to within an inch of their life. You might get a solid two maybe three yrs and then your memory decides to call it a day. You are now left with a very expensive processor and a board looking for ddr3 memory, whose price will now be through the roof.

That doesn't make any sense to me... To be chasing after old parts to repair a system... Better to start anew.

In my experience, motherboards don't have a lot to give after 3 yrs of continuous use. Certain parts carry over but processor memory and motherboard aren't among them.

Let's look at the core components you have for sale. If and when that lga1155 motherboard goes...a new replacement is pretty expensive right now and you have no history and no real warranty if you buy used. The same goes for all the parts except the SSD (cause that is a carry over part)

If we take that same money and sink it into new, up to date components... We can be guaranteed easier availability should anything fail and we know the history cause it is brand new.

iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby iM@st@1 » October 22nd, 2017, 11:58 pm

Ofc building with the latest is the way to go there's no dispute there.

But he wants to use the existing ram which is ddr3 to build around, don't know if you missed that part. I've had great experience purchasing used & if you building around ddr3 i would buy all the parts used. You just need to shop carefully is all.

If you only getting 3yrs out of your components in your experience, you need to invest in higher quality parts. My Sandy bridge components btw are rock solid after what 5yrs. Not saying it gonna last forever but sure there's a couple yrs of life left in it.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 23rd, 2017, 1:55 am

No...I didn't miss the ddr3 statement and if you go back you will see statements to that effect.
My machine runs 24/7... So after 3 yrs the reliability of these items aren't what they used to be. Might be closer to 5 if I had it on for half the time... My point is that overclocking and long operational time cut into the longevity of components and they have a finite life cycle.
Without knowing the history of said component (how it was used)...I have no idea how much more usable life the component has. "Investing" or paying more is also no guarantee of quality.

Pick components wisely...

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » October 23rd, 2017, 9:35 am

kamakazi wrote:Xp ftw

I could allow you with 7

but XP is ridiculously outdated that bringing it up is a bad idea

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 23rd, 2017, 1:10 pm

It is outdated yes... But it is still an option...
If all you are doing is surfing the net, writing emails, using word and Excel etc. You good.
However Windows XP doesn't have Trim and garbage collection support for the SSD. But if you only have 2gb of RAM guess what windows is using for the memory that it needs. And I believe windows 7 needs more than XP.

Regarding updates... Microsoft has shown that if the problem is serious enough they will address it.... Cause people still use XP.

Antivirus programs also still work with xp. Resurrected an old Pentium 3 system for a client earlier this year... The only thing is they didn't want it to connect to the internet... Not yet anyway.

Would like to know how the chrome experiment goes

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » October 23rd, 2017, 1:25 pm

windows 7 runs fine on 2GB of RAM

regardless of OS, you won't be able to do much with that little RAM
also software is dropping support for XP, it's still a bad option regardless

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 23rd, 2017, 5:07 pm

Forget that ram... Pipe it out to someone who is in the same situation that he will be in in a little while.

angelic
Ricer

Postby angelic » October 23rd, 2017, 5:15 pm

I still run xp cause my printer/cutter only works on xp stable.

Dylz305
Street 2NR

Postby Dylz305 » October 23rd, 2017, 9:39 pm

Can someone recommend where I can get a controller to use on my PC? Can be Bluetooth or wired doesn't matter....Or if someone's selling theirs thanks

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » October 23rd, 2017, 10:15 pm

Dylz305 wrote:Can someone recommend where I can get a controller to use on my PC? Can be Bluetooth or wired doesn't matter....Or if someone's selling theirs thanks

I use a ps4 control, works fine

SergioP
Ricer

Postby SergioP » October 24th, 2017, 12:29 am

iM@st@1 wrote:Ofc building with the latest is the way to go there's no dispute there.

But he wants to use the existing ram which is ddr3 to build around, don't know if you missed that part. I've had great experience purchasing used & if you building around ddr3 i would buy all the parts used. You just need to shop carefully is all.

If you only getting 3yrs out of your components in your experience, you need to invest in higher quality parts. My Sandy bridge components btw are rock solid after what 5yrs. Not saying it gonna last forever but sure there's a couple yrs of life left in it.

thought it would have lasted longer...

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » October 24th, 2017, 8:22 am

anybody bought FIFA 18? is the latest PES as good?

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » October 24th, 2017, 8:36 am

desifemlove wrote:anybody bought FIFA 18? is the latest PES as good?

Yeah ah have it but ah piss on it.. yuh still wah it?

iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby iM@st@1 » October 24th, 2017, 9:49 am

SergioP wrote:
iM@st@1 wrote:Ofc building with the latest is the way to go there's no dispute there.

thought it would have lasted longer...

Never said it didn't, it's still working to this day.

ragzinc
Street 2NR

Postby ragzinc » October 24th, 2017, 3:04 pm

If you looking for parts on sale, check https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/
You can get some great deals here
Amazon doesn't have to be your first choice for parts since sales tax is applied to most parts
I started ordering from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ - they only charge sales tax in NY and NJ and their price is sometimes even better than Amazon
Downside, you don't get free 2 days shipping (if you have Amazon Prime)

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » October 24th, 2017, 9:52 pm

or check Chiney, I got all my parts from him (secondhand) at good prices, all of them wukkin bess, and my system can handle anything I throw at it

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 25th, 2017, 7:36 am

kamakazi wrote:It is outdated yes... But it is still an option...
If all you are doing is surfing the net, writing emails, using word and Excel etc. You good.
However Windows XP doesn't have Trim and garbage collection support for the SSD. But if you only have 2gb of RAM guess what windows is using for the memory that it needs. And I believe windows 7 needs more than XP.

Regarding updates... Microsoft has shown that if the problem is serious enough they will address it.... Cause people still use XP.

Antivirus programs also still work with xp. Resurrected an old Pentium 3 system for a client earlier this year... The only thing is they didn't want it to connect to the internet... Not yet anyway.

is not like i only have 2 GB of ram...the machine is maxxed out... 2 GB is MAXXXX !!! :lol:
and yep windows 7 needs alot more RAM than XP.. even disabling visual themes and other nonsense it still eats close to 1/2way thru the total amt of ram ( checked via task manager)

Agreed - XP doesnt natively support TRIM and garbage collection however the software optimization tools that ship with SSD actually has this most if not all SSD manufacturers put out software for their drives - we just choose to ignore it cause the O.S does everything.

will definitely keep u in the loop.... i already got the O.S..just need time now to install it...and see...

ismithx wrote:windows 7 runs fine on 2GB of RAM

see ram quote above... :cry:
yes to XP...only way i'll go bk to XP is if they solely going to use the pc offline. ( ie not internet)

angelic wrote:I still run xp cause my printer/cutter only works on xp stable.

youre just tooo lazy to look into virtualization / VMware.

get a newer pc with a solid performer processor - intel i5 once it supports SSE2 SSE3 SSE4 SSE4.1 SSE 4.2
EMT 64 NX/ND VT-x

install virtualization software and then O.S and then your printer.

angelic
Ricer

Postby angelic » October 25th, 2017, 7:58 am

skylinechild wrote:
kamakazi wrote:It is outdated yes... But it is still an option...

is not like i only have 2 GB of ram...the machine is maxxed out... 2 GB is MAXXXX !!! :lol:
and yep windows 7 needs alot more RAM than XP.. even disabling visual themes and other nonsense it still eats close to 1/2way thru the total amt of ram ( checked via task manager)

Agreed - XP doesnt natively support TRIM and garbage collection however the software optimization tools that ship with SSD actually has this most if not all SSD manufacturers put out software for their drives - we just choose to ignore it cause the O.S does everything.

will definitely keep u in the loop.... i already got the O.S..just need time now to install it...and see...

ismithx wrote:windows 7 runs fine on 2GB of RAM

see ram quote above... :cry:
yes to XP...only way i'll go bk to XP is if they solely going to use the pc offline. ( ie not internet)

angelic wrote:I still run xp cause my printer/cutter only works on xp stable.

youre just tooo lazy to look into virtualization / VMware.

get a newer pc with a solid performer processor - intel i5 once it supports SSE2 SSE3 SSE4 SSE4.1 SSE 4.2
EMT 64 NX/ND VT-x

install virtualization software and then O.S and then your printer.

Lol done that printer takes like forever to finish a job

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 25th, 2017, 11:02 am

angelic wrote:Lol done that printer takes like forever to finish a job

get rid of printer then.... :lol: :lol:

on a real thou what brand and model of printer / cutter. ???

some of those printer / cutter comes with standard memory amount.
try looking into expanding the amt of system memory on the printer to allow it to do more jobs.
some MAY allow you to do just that - my old office printer @ work actually used SD memory and it could have held up to 256 MB of memory and that was alot of memory for a basic network non color printer / scanner / copier.

the problem is the printer was a big bob marley fan and it was really slow too on top of that.
unit was replaced with a non marley fan.....HP is the brand.

if the printer itself slow....cyah help yuh ey.....throw out printer / cutter and get a faster one.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 25th, 2017, 4:53 pm

When he say printer cutter... Is it a plotter or a machine that cuts stickers?

Made a mistake earlier.
The system that is still running XP is a Pentium D with 2gb of memory and a 40gb hard drive.

roguegun
Street 2NR

Postby roguegun » October 27th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Ne one know where locally has replacement ink for a canon pixma ts9020?

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » October 30th, 2017, 4:16 pm

desifemlove wrote:anybody bought FIFA 18? is the latest PES as good?

i have 18

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”