PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby nervewrecker » September 29th, 2018, 9:37 am

Truth be told its a few months old..
I learn my lesson about men who beat their chest and say they can do x y or z.
My pc had crashed some time back. Bought a chromebook to do receipts and invoices on. My shift relief said he does pc builds so he collect ut and bring it back next time around he have to relief me.
Cost just over $1k.
New board, processor, ram and windows.
I find it slow in front my s8. The way he talk I say is some decent stuff in here. But you get what you pay for.
Really not in the mood to throw a set of money behind it again.
Willing to use back my power supply, cd drive, 2 ssd and if possible the board. So a decent processor and ram should be all I need? Asking

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » September 29th, 2018, 9:58 am

nervewrecker wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:Anyone has some old DDR2 RAM laying around by chance?
Have a very old PC with 4GB Gskill @ 1066 that could use a hand.
If you have anything that can work, hit me up please. Thanks.
I may have, will check.

Thanks man.

This desktop is still running on a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with a AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB on Windows 7 Ultimate. Old, like I said :mrgreen:

HCCA
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby HCCA » September 29th, 2018, 11:02 am

nervewrecker wrote:
HCCA wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:Normal desktop duties.
Recommend me a better processor guys.
So just drop in another 4gb stick and a new processor then?

Have an A10 6800K 4.1ghz stock/4.4ghz turbo Quad core and a single 4GB Kingston 1333Mhz DDR3 ram module for $500 if you interested in upgrading,
Don't really see much quad core apus for this socket often.

Your motherboard supports the APU as well.
Can that ram work with mine that I have right now to give me 8gb?
Also, is just to drop in the processor? Or do I need to do anything like reinstall windows or some software stuff?

Well if your ram is 1333mhz then mine will work fine, if it's 1600mhz then your stick will default to 1333mhz but the capacity will double to 8gb total.

Yes the cpu is a direct drop in replacement. My CPU will be recognized right away as the bios that supports your current chip also supports mine. No windows reinstall will be necessary but maybe a graphics driver update for the onboard GPU may be necessary.

Also I can swap your existing cooler with a better amd stock which will cool my CPU better at no additional cost.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 29th, 2018, 1:12 pm

HCCA wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
HCCA wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:Normal desktop duties.
Recommend me a better processor guys.
So just drop in another 4gb stick and a new processor then?

Have an A10 6800K 4.1ghz stock/4.4ghz turbo Quad core and a single 4GB Kingston 1333Mhz DDR3 ram module for $500 if you interested in upgrading,
Don't really see much quad core apus for this socket often.

Your motherboard supports the APU as well.
Can that ram work with mine that I have right now to give me 8gb?
Also, is just to drop in the processor? Or do I need to do anything like reinstall windows or some software stuff?

Well if your ram is 1333mhz then mine will work fine, if it's 1600mhz then your stick will default to 1333mhz but the capacity will double to 8gb total.

Yes the cpu is a direct drop in replacement. My CPU will be recognized right away as the bios that supports your current chip also supports mine. No windows reinstall will be necessary but maybe a graphics driver update for the onboard GPU may be necessary.

Also I can swap your existing cooler with a better amd stock which will cool my CPU better at no additional cost.

Nerve is this the same old desktop i did for u a few yrs ago..??
if so then HCCA is more or less correct.... update the processor and swap in some more RAM.
also get a proper SSD - the silicon power SSD drive you have is garbage.
use crucial or intel or western digital
no to samsung. samsung SSD software does not play nicely with AMD processors.

HCCA i got thru with the thermal compound - i got the artic MX4 thingy
going to use that and if the temps is not where i want it to be i'll get this newer cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-SILENT-witho ... dpSrc=srch

its a aluminum and copper core. should cool effectively.

also where has good 3 or 4 wire case fans.??
locally seems to have none.
looking for a 80mm case fan 4 wire prefably....3 wire if you have it.

wizz has fan but they want over $200 for a fan and its 120mm fan they have....
the case i working on does not accomodate that size of fan.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 29th, 2018, 2:21 pm

I can understand wanting to keep your cash, so:
Try not to have many (more than 3 or 4) web pages (some pages load code that runs as a local program) or programs open at a time.

Watch for:
Hard drive indexing which costs processor headroom.
Windows 10 upgrades that run in the background.
Antivirus apps running in the background.

Add memory first. Match the memory for brand and type. You may get lucky by mixing memory but there is typically a timing delay even when they seem to match.

Update your BIOS. Download the file from the motherboard manufacturer's webpage. Check the PC after you burn the new ROM.

If that's not enough, open the case and vacuum out the inside. Swap out the processor and add thermal paste. Lots of info on the web on this.

The best that you can expect will still be slow compared to any recently sold Gateway, Dell or HP. Black Friday is two months away. You may be able to buy a much nicer system at a good price that will keep you happy for a few years. And you'll still have your old PC to sell or repurpose.

nervewrecker wrote:Truth be told its a few months old..
My pc had crashed some time back. Bought a chromebook to do receipts and invoices on. My shift relief said he does pc builds so he collect ut and bring it back next time around he have to relief me.
Cost just over $1k.
I find it slow in front my s8. The way he talk I say is some decent stuff in here. But you get what you pay for.
Willing to use back my power supply, cd drive, 2 ssd and if possible the board. So a decent processor and ram should be all I need? Asking

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 29th, 2018, 2:31 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Truth be told its a few months old..
Cost just over $1k.

but nerve you coulda check meh and i woulda handle you... and wouldnt have cost you nothing except RAM...and well processor - which is what u end up getting now.

btw when u hav time to come check i man boi meh ac nuh workin almost 2 yrs now..... i suffering....

Soul Collector wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:Anyone has some old DDR2 RAM laying around by chance?
Have a very old PC with 4GB Gskill @ 1066 that could use a hand.
If you have anything that can work, hit me up please. Thanks.
I may have, will check.

Thanks man.

This desktop is still running on a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz with a AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB on Windows 7 Ultimate. Old, like I said :mrgreen:

just FYI an intel QX 9775 is still a beast of a processor and can do alot of heavy multitasking / threading / encoding etc ... and ur processor is just like a few steps under that .....so you still should be able to do alot.

only thing thats ur limiting factor is DDR2 ram. best bet is to find the highest board you can - and install it along with ur processor and stuff it full of RAM and a SSD....

or just stock ur current board with DDR2 ram and a SSD if u like - and work it like that..

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 29th, 2018, 3:23 pm

@nervewrecker
As you said that it was just rebuilt recently, the parts combination is a supertech special... While a lot of people can put machines together, fewer keep up to date and even fewer know what components are required for real world workloads.
Ultimately you get what you paid for.
If anything pushing it to 8gb might be the only money worth spending (I am against spending money on an outdated platform however.) The pagefile on that system will accelerate SSD wear with only 4gb memory... Although I have never seen an exhausted SSD yet.

@skylinechild
The as5 is a bit old school and modern pastes have proven to outperform it; there isn't much difference between a good paste and the best paste however. I don't put nearly as much thought into pastes as I do with coolers.
I just get a larger one and use the included thermal paste; purchased an Arctic freezer and got a small syringe of mx-4 included... Unless you getting the one you linked for next to nothing in which case go strong

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 29th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Skyline, same case, new guts.
Its a kingston and samsung ssd. Enough memory for me there.

Adnj, I will have all kinda 12 and 14 pages open at once. Sometimes over 20.
That and I may have stuff downloading in the background. But even without all that its laggy. Might sound weird but when its running it works ok like after a few minutes of use.

Not sure about this indexing stuff.

So buy the guy processor and buy my own ram? I think mine is 1600mhz or something like that.
Upgrade cooler also I see some saying.

When black Friday comes along what should I look for? Should i upgrade the board?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 29th, 2018, 4:46 pm

kamakazi wrote:@nervewrecker
As you said that it was just rebuilt recently, the parts combination is a supertech special... While a lot of people can put machines together, fewer keep up to date and even fewer know what components are required for real world workloads.
Ultimately you get what you paid for.
If anything pushing it to 8gb might be the only money worth spending (I am against spending money on an outdated platform however.) The pagefile on that system will accelerate SSD wear with only 4gb memory... Although I have never seen an exhausted SSD yet.

@skylinechild
The as5 is a bit old school and modern pastes have proven to outperform it; there isn't much difference between a good paste and the best paste however. I don't put nearly as much thought into pastes as I do with coolers.
I just get a larger one and use the included thermal paste; purchased an Arctic freezer and got a small syringe of mx-4 included... Unless you getting the one you linked for next to nothing in which case go strong

well said kamikaze..... while many can put machines together....very few actually put a proper pc for actual real world work loads -and very few ppl can properly spec out a system.

the super tech special is just what it name is....a special on pricing.... the cheapest board and processor and stuff.....cant do anything with that except turn on see the lights hear the sounds and turn off....

noted on the thermal paste. i have AS5 and the mx4- i didnt like the temps i got with as5 - in truth my supply of as5 is old and crusty - so i bought some new Mx4 paste. i got a lead on some new fresh as5....so i going to retry it with fresh As5......if i dont like the temps i'll go the mx4....and if i still dont like the temps.....
i'll get the copper cooler and use it.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 29th, 2018, 4:51 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Skyline, same case, new guts.

That and I may have stuff downloading in the background. But even without all that its laggy. Might sound weird but when its running it works ok like after a few minutes of use.

So buy the guy processor and buy my own ram? I think mine is 1600mhz or something like that.

When black Friday comes along what should I look for? Should i upgrade the board?

negative on board nerve... just buy the processor and RAM and work from there.

if you buy a board you will have to buy a new processor to support the new board - if you elect to go for a more modern board with a modern CPU - also modern boards use ddr4 now.... thats the cost of new memory right there....and is you you'll want to get 8gigs of RAM at minimum for starters.....

things to note
1 ensure the sata mode is set to AHCI in the BIOS / UEFI ( allows sata to run at full speed)
2. ensure trim support is enabled on the O.S
3. download the SSD management software from the manufacturer to optimize the SSD.

from the work load you doing it seems that u multi tasking alot - 20 instances of a webpage will increase memory usage.

you will need memory as your level of multi tasking- seems to be not a "regular avg user"

i'm not an avg user and i dont have more than 4 web pages open at a time.

Nerve - if u like i can take a look at exactly what u have and we can see what we can do.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 29th, 2018, 5:42 pm

My apologies for the cooler comment mixup.... It wasn't meant for you, it was for skylinechild.

Anyhow before you spend any money... Let's see what can be done on your own system

In Computer, right click on the drive representing the SSD (one at a time). Uncheck the box next to the option that reads "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" for both of them if it hasn't been done already.

Select the windows button and do a search for "resource monitor". Have that running after you boot up the system. Select the "CPU" tab and give an average figure of % CPU usage.
Then select the "memory" tab and give us the %physical memory used.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 29th, 2018, 5:44 pm

skylinechild wrote:

if you buy a board you will have to buy a new processor to support the new board - if you elect to go for a more modern board with a modern CPU - also modern boards use ddr4 now.... thats the cost of new memory right there....and is you you'll want to get 8gigs of RAM at minimum for starters.....

things to note
1 ensure the sata mode is set to AHCI in the BIOS / UEFI ( allows sata to run at full speed)
3. download the SSD management software from the manufacturer to optimize the SSD.

from the work load you doing it seems that u multi tasking alot - 20 instances of a webpage will increase memory usage.

you will need memory as your level of multi tasking- seems to be not a "regular avg user"

Nerve - if u like i can take a look at exactly what u have and we can see what we can do.
I haven't met with a lot of success trying to change from AHCI to legacy and vice versa after an install

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » September 29th, 2018, 6:27 pm

get an athlon 200ge

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 29th, 2018, 8:06 pm

kamakazi wrote:
skylinechild wrote:

things to note

I haven't met with a lot of success trying to change from AHCI to legacy and vice versa after an install

it can be done... theres a bit of registry changes to do in order to be able to change from legacy to AHCI.
once all the steps are done you simply restart and go into BIOS and change ur final setting in there from legacy to AHCI.

i'll post instructions tmrw for ya....

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 29th, 2018, 8:18 pm

skylinechild wrote:
kamakazi wrote:
skylinechild wrote:

things to note

it can be done... theres a bit of registry changes to do in order to be able to change from legacy to AHCI.
once all the steps are done you simply restart and go into BIOS and change ur final setting in there from legacy to AHCI.

Have you done it successfully before?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 29th, 2018, 8:27 pm

kamakazi wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
kamakazi wrote:I haven't met with a lot of success trying to change from AHCI to legacy and vice versa after an install

Have you done it successfully before?

YUP !!!! :lol:

was fixin a pc for a friend and i absent mindedly forgot to change the hard drive access mode

i usually full format via command prompt (shift and F10) on the windows screen before installing windows &
i usually go thru the bios and set my options how i like it before i load windows but i was in a lil hurry nuh....and well.....as i said....i forgot.

is only after i install windows and go to update it then it hit me....i didnt change the access mode .... never mind... i made the registry changes rebooted into BIOS made my final changes there...and that was it.

windows updated normally and well.... no issues.... gave him back the pc and he said its working good....

no issues.

its one of those things thats nice to know that it CAN be done (via registry) if u forget and the issue can be corrected - but its better to not forget in the first place :lol: 8-)

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 29th, 2018, 10:17 pm

kamakazi wrote:

My apologies for the cooler comment mixup.... It wasn't meant for you, it was for skylinechild.

Anyhow before you spend any money... Let's see what can be done on your own system

In Computer, right click on the drive representing the SSD (one at a time). Uncheck the box next to the option that reads "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" for both of them if it hasn't been done already.

Select the windows button and do a search for "resource monitor". Have that running after you boot up the system. Select the "CPU" tab and give an average figure of % CPU usage.
Tomorrow morning over my coffee

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 29th, 2018, 11:15 pm

I was of the impression that the kinda browsing I do is normal.

On any given day its at least 7 pages open.

On others its spreadsheet, word, email, converters plus webpages.

And usually music playing

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 30th, 2018, 7:15 am

nervewrecker wrote:I was of the impression that the kinda browsing I do is normal.

On any given day its at least 7 pages open.

On others its spreadsheet, word, email, converters plus webpages.

And usually music playing

Nerve thats a bit of heavy multi tasking there....

post up your resource meter readings for CPU and memory...and we'll see what youre doing..

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » September 30th, 2018, 9:34 am

Thanks for the tips skylinechild. Doubt I'll pump new money into this old rig though, will build a new system next year. Just wanted to give it some life and leave it for my lil bro to use.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 30th, 2018, 9:56 am

kamakazi wrote:

cant do it for the C drive, did it for F.
Attachments
resource.jpg
cpu usage.jpg

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 30th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Wow... That machine is busy...
I didn't know you were using Windows 10... Does that processor ever drop below 70%.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 30th, 2018, 12:45 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
kamakazi wrote:

cant do it for the C drive, did it for F.
That's called crushing a system.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 30th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Windows 10 looking like failure to me..

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 30th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Whats crushing?

And yea, cpu like it never drops below 70%.

No wonder it so slow..

So go back to a previous version windows, hcca processor and up the ram. Jack up to about 12gb or 8gb will do?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm

It looks like Windows Software Protection is using about 35% of processor headroom. Chrome is takingnabout 20%.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 30th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Thats what im seeing. And I had 7 pages open. So imagine when its more..
Saw in some instances it was maxed out. Full 100%

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 30th, 2018, 4:05 pm

nerve- you have a very high processor usage - you do alot of multi tasking -

whats the specs on the processor HCCA offering you and what is your current processor specs?

windows 10 isnt failure - it works good - its just that you do alot of damn multi tasking lol...thats all.

a GOOD processor for what you want it to do should be at least a tri core from yester years - or a quad core and above... no dual core or dual threads for u....

adding RAM is always a good thing in my book- others may disagree and look at it as throwing away money on an old platform. -if you look at it a stick of ram is lets say - 15-20 USD.
no where in the blue hell you gettin a brand new computer for that price - even if you change processor for 60 USD (just giving a random figure)

you will NEVER get a new pc for the cost of 80 USD equivalent in TT

find out whats the best processor there is for your current board.... and see if you cud get ur hands on it.
throw in a normal everyday video card to take the video processing load off the CPU....
and see if u get any improvement.

GRIM
Sweet on this forum

Postby GRIM » September 30th, 2018, 5:34 pm

fellas i need a new monitor
need recommendations for stores with some kinda variety
i check a few and all they had was those small 1600x900
preferably between san juan and arima

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » September 30th, 2018, 7:16 pm

GRIM wrote:fellas i need a new monitor
need recommendations for stores with some kinda variety
i check a few and all they had was those small 1600x900
preferably between san juan and arima

check chiney on tuner.... he has some new IPS screens abt a mth old.
and the price not bad either....

link >>> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=733389

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”