PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby src1983 » March 30th, 2019, 11:14 am

Spitfir3 wrote:
src1983 wrote:Will doing that affect my over clock?

it won't affect the overclock since manually overclocking essentially overrides it anyway

**Update**

Turned off the setting in the BIOS and while it did fix the issue, my pc no longer runs overclocked

Other info

MB - Asus X299 Delux
Pro - 7820X

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » March 30th, 2019, 4:23 pm

src1983 wrote:
Spitfir3 wrote:
src1983 wrote:Will doing that affect my over clock?

it won't affect the overclock since manually overclocking essentially overrides it anyway

**Update**

Turned off the setting in the BIOS and while it did fix the issue, my pc no longer runs overclocked

Other info

MB - Asus X299 Delux
Pro - 7820X

did some quick research on the matter, it looks like asus boards need turbo boost enabled for the overclock to work (didn't have this problem with my older gigabyte board)

another option you can try is renablnng the turbo boost and doing a bios update and firmware update if available.....oh and check your power settings in windows itself

iamthespeedhunter
Riding on 13's

Postby iamthespeedhunter » March 31st, 2019, 6:29 pm

What you guys think about the Gtx 1660. Smash or pass??

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » March 31st, 2019, 6:39 pm

iamthespeedhunter wrote:What you guys think about the Gtx 1660. Smash or pass??

Man if you need a card buy it yes. But look on ebay and amazon for some used deals

iamthespeedhunter
Riding on 13's

Postby iamthespeedhunter » March 31st, 2019, 6:59 pm

src1983 wrote:
iamthespeedhunter wrote:What you guys think about the Gtx 1660. Smash or pass??

Man if you need a card buy it yes. But look on ebay and amazon for some used deals

Thanks. Yeah them deals looking real sweet. I rather new thou...

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 1st, 2019, 6:28 pm

asrock fm2a68m-dg3+
AMD Athlon x4 750K 3.4GHz OC to 4.2 now 4.0
cooler unsure of brand at the moment but its huge
xtech or aglier 600w
4x2 DDR3 ballistix crucial
2TB 7200 hitatchi
250GB samsung evo SSD
AMD RADEON 5450

thinking about changing out the powersupply to a regulated evga ect later on.

future build is a ryzen 5 2400g, MSI gaming pro a320 board, 16gb 2666mhz ddr4 which can oc to 3200mhz and a water cooler all in one kit.

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » April 18th, 2019, 10:18 am

morning i was copying some tv series unto a flash drive when i went to put the last show on it saying it write proteted

so i did some searching to see how to remove it but it doesn't work cause although it saying it write protected it actually isn't since the regedti method if the flash was write protected it would have been 1 but it was already 0

and diskpart method when i check the details under write protection it was saying no

any ideas

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » April 18th, 2019, 2:54 pm

kamakazi wrote:Is there any benefit to overclocking anymore. The processors themselves seem to do a pretty good job of it and you still keep the power saving features which you lose when you manually turn the dial up yourself.
Not sure tbh...I not running anything overclocked and my performance is way more than enough and my stuff were designed to be OCd..handles any game I throw at it flawlessly with high to ultra settings...so IMO no....still nice to have that peace of mind that ur gear can handle overclocking and being stressed at higher voltages and temps tho compared to the non OC models I suppose

I'd say just make sure xmp is enabled on the bios so ur ram can run at the higher speeds it's advertised to run at for a starter..that little extra in speed of your memory should be a sufficient enough performance bump for most ppl

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm

The question was really directed at src1983 but no scene.

How is the the Noctua cooler going.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 18th, 2019, 9:25 pm

kamakazi wrote:The question was really directed at src1983 but no scene.

I do it as a hobby to see how far I can go.

Overclocking the gpu improves performance though running 4k @ over 60fps on triple A with ultra settings

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » April 18th, 2019, 10:01 pm

fred1266 wrote:morning i was copying some tv series unto a flash drive when i went to put the last show on it saying it write proteted

so i did some searching to see how to remove it but it doesn't work cause although it saying it write protected it actually isn't since the regedti method if the flash was write protected it would have been 1 but it was already 0

and diskpart method when i check the details under write protection it was saying no

any ideas

that means the flash drive gone thru. fling it way and use a next one. can't remember the exact mechanics on why that happens when it fails tho

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » April 18th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Lol the noctua going real good btw thanks lol...and yea I know it was directed to him...I quoted ur post cuz I was agreeing with u....check pic of the noctua btw ...love it too bad even tho the color stinks for matching ...thinking about selling this one and going with the big daddy d15 model from them tho

IMG_20190407_210837.jpeg

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » April 18th, 2019, 10:33 pm

src1983 wrote:

I do it as a hobby to see how far I can go.

Overclocking the gpu improves performance though running 4k @ over 60fps on triple A with ultra settings
I running 4k at 60fps as well without overclocking...hence why I said I don't really see any absolutely necessary reason to overclock these days na....plenty newer model PC components really efficient

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » April 19th, 2019, 8:07 am

ismithx wrote:
fred1266 wrote:morning i was copying some tv series unto a flash drive when i went to put the last show on it saying it write proteted

any ideas

that means the flash drive gone thru. fling it way and use a next one. can't remember the exact mechanics on why that happens when it fails tho

ok thanks

never used it before so thought it could have been fixed

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 19th, 2019, 3:53 pm

I want to see if I can reach stable at 2100 on the GPU and 5.0 on the CPU

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 21st, 2019, 3:20 am

There is such an abundance of power in both CPU and GPU for relatively cheap that I don't really see the need for overclocking as much as I once did.

As a hobby... Go nuts; experimental BIOS, core unlocking, overclocking on chipsets that weren't supposed to, etc.

However I do not do these things on my daily machine. In this situation reliability and longevity are my top priorities. Overclocking compromises that. Also, Who is going to notice 3 extra fps if you are already getting 70 on average or 5 minutes if the task takes 1 hour.

I do not stand to benefit from the additional performance and there isn't as much to be gained now. Old core2 duo CPUs were capable of 50-60% overclocks on air which would allow the low end CPUs to match the performance of their counterparts that were selling for 3 times the price. Today things like core count, hyperthreading and locked multipliers are the performance dividers. The chips also dynamically overclock themselves.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 6th, 2019, 9:49 pm

ok guys situation here....

customer brought in a dell inspiron N5010 laptop to be upgraded.

no prob - upgraded the hard drive installed a SSD installed RAM upgraded to genuine windows 10 home.

did all the necessary updates

so i tried to do a BIOS update and seeing as how the laptop battery ( not the CMOS battery) was not good it didnt do the update - security protection -

customer brought a new laptop battery - generic - it was charged for a 15-20 mins before hand - and while doing the bios update the pc just gave a low battery message and shut down.

now starting up the pc the BIOS does nothing - not even the dell logo...no nothing.

BIOS is shot to hell.

how would you go about fixing this.??

and by the way i already fixed it - i'll post the solution i did which worked.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 6th, 2019, 10:05 pm

I encountered a similar problem when flashing Tomato on a linksys router. Yeah I bricked it. But turns out one had to clear the nvram with a manual 90 second hold reset button unplug reboot thing.

Unless it had dual bios... you had to replace the motherboard? Because those chips are soldered on.

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » May 6th, 2019, 10:42 pm

skylinechild wrote:ok guys situation here....

customer brought in a dell inspiron N5010 laptop to be upgraded.

no prob - upgraded the hard drive installed a SSD installed RAM upgraded to genuine windows 10 home.

did all the necessary updates

so i tried to do a BIOS update and seeing as how the laptop battery ( not the CMOS battery) was not good it didnt do the update - security protection -

customer brought a new laptop battery - generic - it was charged for a 15-20 mins before hand - and while doing the bios update the pc just gave a low battery message and shut down.

now starting up the pc the BIOS does nothing - not even the dell logo...no nothing.

BIOS is shot to hell.

how would you go about fixing this.??

and by the way i already fixed it - i'll post the solution i did which worked.

I'd refer to Dell's documentation lol....

(Nice didn't know they had that feature)

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 7th, 2019, 8:09 pm

maj. tom wrote:I encountered a similar problem when flashing Tomato on a linksys router. Yeah I bricked it. But turns out one had to clear the nvram with a manual 90 second hold reset button unplug reboot thing.

Unless it had dual bios... you had to replace the motherboard? Because those chips are soldered on.

ok so HOW to clear the NVRAM is the issue - as it cant do anything - removing power and batteries does nothing :lol:

no to dual bios - it has a regular BIOS not even a UEFI modern day one. :lol:

ismithx wrote:

dell documentation is useless- it simply says for technical issues - contact our tech center and all they going to say is buy a new board which doesnt make sense as the age of the pc a new board is about the cost of a more modern pc.

all BIOS'es have that protection feature where you must have adequate battery power and also be plugged into an ac supply - to prevent bios corruption in the event of a power loss.

if updating the bios on a desktop its highly recommended you connect it to a UPS then do the update.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » May 7th, 2019, 8:17 pm

if removing the cmos battery and draining the power on the motherboard ie reseting it doesn't fix your problem then your only option might be to replace that bios chip if you willing to take that headache

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » May 7th, 2019, 8:42 pm

skylinechild wrote:
maj. tom wrote:I encountered a similar problem when flashing Tomato on a linksys router. Yeah I bricked it. But turns out one had to clear the nvram with a manual 90 second hold reset button unplug reboot thing.

ok so HOW to clear the NVRAM is the issue - as it cant do anything - removing power and batteries does nothing :lol:

no to dual bios - it has a regular BIOS not even a UEFI modern day one. :lol:

ismithx wrote:

dell documentation is useless- it simply says for technical issues - contact our tech center and all they going to say is buy a new board which doesnt make sense as the age of the pc a new board is about the cost of a more modern pc.

all BIOS'es have that protection feature where you must have adequate battery power and also be plugged into an ac supply - to prevent bios corruption in the event of a power loss.

if updating the bios on a desktop its highly recommended you connect it to a UPS then do the update.

lol what I highly disagree

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 7th, 2019, 10:15 pm

ismithx wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
ismithx wrote:

lol what I highly disagree

you highly disagree with calling dell tech support or you disagree with buying a new board ?? :lol:

i'll put up the solution tmrw

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » May 8th, 2019, 7:15 am

I disagree with Dell documentation being lacking. I don't care for their support

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 8th, 2019, 8:55 am

skylinechild wrote:all BIOS'es have that protection feature where you must have adequate battery power and also be plugged into an ac supply - to prevent bios corruption in the event of a power loss.

I have a Dell XPS 13 right now and can't update the BIOS for that very reason. Battery is gone and won't recognize a power source so the BIOS refuses to update.

Battery model: 90V7W 56Wh
I sourced the battery, 2 on Amazon, 1 on eBay, last on Laptop Battery Express.
Only one of the Amazon batteries has reviews.
There was one on Amazon previously with much more and better reviews, cheaper price, but that's long gone.

Anyone has experience buying laptop batteries? Can you kindly advise which may be the best option, unless you have a different source. Thanks a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/90V7W-6Cell-Batt ... B01BXV1C4C

https://www.amazon.com/90V7W-Battery-Co ... B07JKVTTQP

https://www.ebay.com/p/90V7W-Dell-XPS-1 ... 2255944119

https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/De ... -jhxpy.htm

HCCA
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby HCCA » May 8th, 2019, 9:00 am

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 8th, 2019, 9:24 am

HCCA wrote:https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/solved-recover-dell-inspiron-laptop-corrupted-bios-how-roland-ihasz

Good stuff.

Veryyy handy info indeed, thanks for that. Saved it one time. If it were my laptop, I'd give it a go but as it's my brother's and he needs the battery anyway, I won't chance it. My desktop however, has passed through some "trials and errors" so to speak lol.

HCCA
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby HCCA » May 8th, 2019, 11:14 am

Soul Collector wrote:
HCCA wrote:https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/solved-recover-dell-inspiron-laptop-corrupted-bios-how-roland-ihasz

Good stuff.

Veryyy handy info indeed, thanks for that. Saved it one time. If it were my laptop, I'd give it a go but as it's my brother's and he needs the battery anyway, I won't chance it. My desktop however, has passed through some "trials and errors" so to speak lol.

Regarding your battery enquiry, if I have to buy aftermarket batteries and chargers for laptops I usually purchase based on user reviews, hasn't failed me yet. Bought batteries for dell, Toshiba and HP that way.

Also if purchasing from eBay/Amazon best to use a skybox that offers returns in case its faulty.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 8th, 2019, 3:51 pm

HCCA, thanks for the heads up. Will make sure to check that beforehand with my skybox co.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 8th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Good stuff.

and HCCA is right this is how i did it - the only thing is i didnt bother to disassemble the laptop.

and i didnt use the original version BIOS -A09 - i used the latest version -A15.

at first i thought i was screwed so i started to look for ways to flash the chip on the board itself.

came across this
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ch341a-24-25-S ... Sw5lpctvL4

then i found some more notes on symantec site and some others and also the link HCCA posted.

i tried it and it worked

things to note

you will need to use another pc to obtain the BIOS file and do the HDR and ROM file extraction.

be sure you know how to use command prompt to change directories and be sure to use command prompt as an administrator.

the flash drive needs to be formatted for FAT not FAT 16/ 32 and use the usb ports thats on the mainboard itself not those that are connected to the main board via a ribbon cable.
Last edited by skylinechild on May 8th, 2019, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”