Forums

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dylz305
Street 2NR

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Dylz305 » September 15th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Win10 allows you to switch platforms and keep your license.
For example, I installed windows 10 on my HDD in an Intel build, switched to AMD and back to Intel with the same HDD and worked as it should. Drivers are updated automatically etc etc not like longtime

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » September 15th, 2017, 5:34 pm

So all this mention about CPUs, how much cores and GHz are sufficient for your computer usages? I have a 2 core AMD 2.8ghz running as a home server which is fine, but my main tower is quad core OC'ed to 3.15ghz AMD and that sees pressure with me often

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 15th, 2017, 6:49 pm

iM@st@1 wrote:Your windows 10 license is digitally transferred using your microsoft account when you change hardware so no issue there.

Intel does have stronger single threaded performance yes but it makes little difference when going up in resolution (in terms of gaming & except for 144hz+ displays), you'd be more gpu bound at that point which is why I went with Ryzen. Was waiting for coffeelake also but I'd pay well over $300US + extra compared to a Ryzen build, the price/perf just cannot be beat.

Really? I didn't know it was as simple as that. I thought it was like other windows where you had to call Microsoft and explain to them how your motherboard died and ask them give you a new key etc

So you saying when I installing windows 10 on a new PC I just have to login with my current hotmail account that I use to login on my old pc?

SnipeR
Trinituner Peong

Postby SnipeR » September 15th, 2017, 7:25 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:I still can't believe how AMD wipe the floor with Intel.

Even the top spot Threadripper mop the floor with the best that Intel has to offer....

I wouldnt say it "mops the floor". But AMD definitely know what they're doing this time around.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/am ... iew,1.html

I have built a few RYZEN systems for customers (from the 1800x all the way down to the 1400) and I have to agree that AMD is killin it this time around. The 1700 is excellent value for money. If I were lookin to build a rig right now. it'll definitely be one of these platforms. So glad that AMD finally produced something that can compete because I not prepared to spend $999USD on a CPU alone. My system is on the x58 platform, built in 2009 and I only think of upgrading to get better efficiency.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 15th, 2017, 8:00 pm

^ yeah you can't touch the value for money, I saw benchmarks from Digital Foundry for new games and the i5 skylake would dip to 30 fps in certain scenes while the same quad core Ryzen that costs even less than the i5 would get like all kinda 60 FPS where the i5 would dip to 30

Some would say well the Ryzen is 6 cores and 12 threads so it unfair to compare it to the core i5 but thats besides the point, its cheaper than the i5 which is what matters

I dunno why those intel fan boys still checking it by number of cores/threads.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wr ... ords=ryzen

$209 for 12 threads and 6 cores, Intel must be smoking beetle sh!t if them feel I going to pay $240 for a 4 core i5

iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby iM@st@1 » September 15th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Kronik wrote:
So all this mention about CPUs, how much cores and GHz are sufficient for your computer usages? I have a 2 core AMD 2.8ghz running as a home server which is fine, but my main tower is quad core OC'ed to 3.15ghz AMD and that sees pressure with me often

A nice budget upgrade for you will be a 1300x, but I'd advise to get the best motherboard (x370)/ fastest ram (3000Mhz >) you could afford because the platform will be supported for the next 4 years. You can always upgrade to zen2 which will be even better.

Quad core is still fine for most uses, 6/8 core for power users/gamers.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
iM@st@1 wrote:Your windows 10 license is digitally transferred using your microsoft account when you change hardware so no issue there.

Intel does have stronger single threaded performance yes but it makes little difference when going up in resolution (in terms of gaming & except for 144hz+ displays), you'd be more gpu bound at that point which is why I went with Ryzen. Was waiting for coffeelake also but I'd pay well over $300US + extra compared to a Ryzen build, the price/perf just cannot be beat.

Really? I didn't know it was as simple as that. I thought it was like other windows where you had to call Microsoft and explain to them how your motherboard died and ask them give you a new key etc

So you saying when I installing windows 10 on a new PC I just have to login with my current hotmail account that I use to login on my old pc?

>Simple as this<

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 15th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Kronik wrote:So all this mention about CPUs, how much cores and GHz are sufficient for your computer usages? I have a 2 core AMD 2.8ghz running as a home server which is fine, but my main tower is quad core OC'ed to 3.15ghz AMD and that sees pressure with me often

I get by with 2 cores/4 threads... My games selection aren't those huge titles though

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 16th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Ryzen isn't mopping the floor and its Intel, it's just doing comparable multithreaded work more economically and efficiently.
Its mopping the floor with intel price wise, on production aspects.

For gaming applications, still better to stick to older Intel CPU' s, no to upgrade.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

sMASH wrote:Ryzen isn't mopping the floor and its Intel, it's just doing comparable multithreaded work more economically and efficiently.
Its mopping the floor with intel price wise, on production aspects.

For gaming applications, still better to stick to older Intel CPU' s, no to upgrade.

NOT TRUE, screen shot taken from Digital Foundry

Ryzen vs the greatest Core i5 7600K skylake from Intel.

Low end Ryzen that costs LESS than the core i5 literally rapes the i5

56 FPS on the $230 Intel i5 vs 96 FPS on the Ryzen that only costs $209 and yes the MIN FPS matters because who wants shitty slow downs when someone fires a gun? nothing more annoying than that. Ryzen tears up Crysis 3 without breaking a sweat which means it tears up any game on Cry Engine 3 or Unreal Engine 4

And this is in GAMING where Intel dominates, we have not even begun to talk about how this 1600 Ryzen chip with 12 threads will RAPE the i5 in encoding/rendering and other applications

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wr ... zen+6+1600

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 16th, 2017, 8:40 pm

I've seen more 1300, 1400, 1700, 1900 tests. The guys I watched didn't really bother to touch 1600 or 1800.

At that price, the 1600 is the best value per performance thus far. For home use..
I myself was thinking about a 1700 build, but the performance to price real good.

Multicore is no contest... They trade blows from with comparable clocks, software to soft ware, but Ryzen tr wins price wise

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 16th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Yeah it is quite a beauty and don't forget the little current it uses, that is another bonus there AMD did very well this time around it wasn't just a case of a hot ass chip sucking electric bill and competing with Intel if anything I believe the Ryzen even more efficient than the intel.

But yeah 8 cores and 16 threads on a Ryzen 1700? yeah Ryzen FTW no point in wasting money on a weaker 8 thread 4 core i7 for significantly more money

Ryzen is real future proofing and don't forget upgrade path of ZEN ++ years down the road.

I remember when "Upgrade path" was just an Intel thing, now it has been shifted to AMD. You have to be crazy to believe "Intel and Upgrade Path" after they scam everybody with Skylake. Releases Skylake in 2016 requires new socket, then releases Coffeelake 2017 and requires a new motherboard/socket? LOL fck that yes

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 16th, 2017, 9:11 pm

I'm not gonna latch on to ryzen so hard. The gpu's isn't as competitive as the cpu's and this is only real game changer they have come up,with in ages.
Intel has the resources to match or surpass the next iteration.

They scored a winner this time around, but it's the silicone lottery, and Intel has money to buy a sh!t load of tickets.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 16th, 2017, 9:12 pm

But all the best to both of them, cause the consumer is the real winner now that there is real competition.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 16th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Yes the AMD Vega fail hard on an epic scale. No idea WTF they were doing I won't buy an AMD GPU

I have the GTX 1060 and there is no point in me upgrading to AMD GPUs at this point I will wait for their next GPU

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » September 16th, 2017, 10:25 pm

forget GPU's on a whole till the mining craze die down yes

miners gonna kill card availability, and manufacturers not really gonna do much about it tbh because they making money. consumers losing in the long run

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 17th, 2017, 3:03 am

iM@st@1 wrote:>Simple as this<

So I have one last question

You are saying when I log into my new PC using my current microsoft account, it will run like normal on the new PC HOWEVER the old PC it won't run?

Not unless I log on? and in order for me to log back onto the old PC I have to Sign Out of the New One? it basically won't allow me to run the same account on both PC same time?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 17th, 2017, 8:39 am

iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby iM@st@1 » September 17th, 2017, 4:50 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

You are saying when I log into my new PC using my current microsoft account, it will run like normal on the new PC HOWEVER the old PC it won't run?

Not unless I log on? and in order for me to log back onto the old PC I have to Sign Out of the New One? it basically won't allow me to run the same account on both PC same time?

It's one license for one computer afaik.

Under water now, just waiting for some custom cables / led strips and I'm g2g. Idling at a nice 32-36° and ran some BF1 @ 54°, gameplay is night and day compared to my 2500K.

2NR Smurf
TriniTuner Crew

Postby 2NR Smurf » September 17th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Alyuh fellas making me feel to rebuild yes. I've been on air and gpu-less since my pump failed and killed my 2 680s..

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » September 17th, 2017, 7:01 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

I didn't have to do any of this. All I did was

1. Download and Install ProduKey (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/produkey.html)
2. Reinstall the version of Windows I had (Win10Pro)
3. Input Key
4. Activate

And boom, everything is smiffy

Dylz305
Street 2NR

Postby Dylz305 » September 17th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Got a question, do you use a normal power strip on your PC or you must have a surge protector?

SnipeR
Trinituner Peong

Postby SnipeR » September 17th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Dylz305 wrote:Got a question, do you use a normal power strip on your PC or you must have a surge protector?

I'd recommend a UPS/backup battery if you can get one. Some areas have terrible electrical fluctuation and that damages the PSU and other components.

Dylz305
Street 2NR

Postby Dylz305 » September 17th, 2017, 11:11 pm

I using one that I have a little over a year now, but when current goes etc it shuts off like a normal power strip so most likely the battery's gone. Wanted to know if to invest in a new one or use a normal strip as I see alot of people use on YouTube etc....

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 17th, 2017, 11:24 pm

src1983 wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

1. Download and Install ProduKey (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/produkey.html)
3. Input Key
4. Activate

Impressive I must say

I assume the old PC was automatically deactivated once you installed the Windows on the new one and activated the key on the new PC since you would need the same account login info to login into the old PC and keep the key there also.

It seems like this is how it works you can put the product key on as many PC as you want but it will only remain activated once you log in the original microsoft hotmail account on said PC.

This is pretty good news it means changing motherboards is a breeze now and no need to buy any new keys again.

But as the other guy said you don't even need the key you just hit skip when it asks for the key and it should just login fine and auto activate assuming you connected to the internet

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » September 18th, 2017, 4:22 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
src1983 wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:

3. Input Key
4. Activate

Impressive I must say

I assume the old PC was automatically deactivated once you installed the Windows on the new one and activated the key on the new PC since you would need the same account login info to login into the old PC and keep the key there also.

It seems like this is how it works you can put the product key on as many PC as you want but it will only remain activated once you log in the original microsoft hotmail account on said PC.

This is pretty good news it means changing motherboards is a breeze now and no need to buy any new keys again.

But as the other guy said you don't even need the key you just hit skip when it asks for the key and it should just login fine and auto activate assuming you connected to the internet

I use my computer on a Domain so I don't log in with a Microsoft account

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 18th, 2017, 5:35 am

Dylz305 wrote:I using one that I have a little over a year now, but when current goes etc it shuts off like a normal power strip so most likely the battery's gone. Wanted to know if to invest in a new one or use a normal strip as I see alot of people use on YouTube etc....

Could be a bad battery, so no reserve to switch to.

Open up the batter compartment and fiddle with the wires. See if anything is loose or corroded. Clean, secure, retry

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » September 18th, 2017, 9:20 am

sMASH wrote:
Dylz305 wrote:I using one that I have a little over a year now, but when current goes etc it shuts off like a normal power strip so most likely the battery's gone. Wanted to know if to invest in a new one or use a normal strip as I see alot of people use on YouTube etc....

Could be a bad battery, so no reserve to switch to.

Open up the batter compartment and fiddle with the wires. See if anything is loose or corroded. Clean, secure, retry

dem strip is only for people who have good power. Just get a line conditioner and you should be good without having to worry about batteries

iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby iM@st@1 » September 18th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Dylz305
Street 2NR

Postby Dylz305 » September 19th, 2017, 10:23 am

iM@st@1 wrote:http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/popular-software-ccleaner-infected-with-backdoor.html

I never used a cleaner for all the years I've been doing this. It honestly makes the PC worst as far as I've seen, once you know what you're installing and not drowning your PC with toolbars n additional (included) software from some programs you'll be 100!!

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » September 19th, 2017, 10:28 am

Dylz305 wrote:
iM@st@1 wrote:http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/popular-software-ccleaner-infected-with-backdoor.html

I never used a cleaner for all the years I've been doing this. It honestly makes the PC worst as far as I've seen, once you know what you're installing and not drowning your PC with toolbars n additional (included) software from some programs you'll be 100!!

Correct, for every computer I buy, I wipe the bloated software and reinstall a clean windows with only the relevant software

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”