Forums

Advertising and you...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

buzz
Riding on 17's

Advertising and you...

Postby buzz » November 9th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Now i don't know if I naturally don't care much for flashy catchy ads, but to me it ranks of cheap, desperate, gimmick like promotion. I simply feel that if company's spend thousands on certain types advertising it works for them and work well and I am simply not part of their target consumer base. I know this sounds confusing so i'll give an example:-

Let's say a company is advertising, sanitary pads. Now i don't need sanitary pads (or shouldn't in anytime of my life) but if i heard a jingle or one of those stupid situational type convo ads ( "girl i can't go to d party tonight because i don't feel fresh yadda yadda yadda" ) i'll switch the station and forget it as a matter of fact. Not because i'm disgusted to hear about feminine hygiene, i'm disgusted at a sh1tty ad.

OR:

"Pad X tested on leaking radiators with no leaks !!11"
"Made out of uranium and woven titanium !"
"IT WONT LET YOU DOWN!!11!"

"Distributed by manly feminine products inc"
call xxx-xxxx for more details

^^^ That's an ad i'll remember even when i'm hunting for car parts in the bamboo

OR (IMO risky but can be super effective given our culture)

"Boy i cyah really remember wa happen lass nite in d fete nah but ah did wine up on a bess douglah and nex morning meh white passa passa pants red red red"

"Pad X.... Don't be caught with a red poonanny again"

i'd rotfl how could i NOT remember this ad ?

Now am i an alien ? or a lot of our ads, simply don't hit the spot :|

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Advertising and you...

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 9th, 2010, 4:27 pm

buzz wrote:Now am i an alien ?
no, you just have some serious psychological issues

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 9th, 2010, 4:29 pm

"Pad X tested on leaking radiators with no leaks !!11"
"Made out of uranium and woven titanium !"

I wants!~

buzz
Riding on 17's

Postby buzz » November 9th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

:lol: but sh1t talk aside (seeing that i may be in breach of your "corporate complaints not allowed" rule if i name names) do many of our local ads attract your attention ? (short of your particular interest in that item generally or that point in time )

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » November 9th, 2010, 4:40 pm

buzz wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

:lol: but sh1t talk aside (seeing that i may be in breach of your "corporate complaints not allowed" rule if i name names) do many of our local ads attract your attention ? (short of your particular interest in that item generally or that point in time )

Real sheit ads, its like is some real morons who working in Advertising and promotions. The ads lack creativity and turn the listener away more than anything else. I've stopped listening to radio because of the diatribe that passes for ads in this country. One ad that totally annoys me in particular is the one with the little girl who sees her father fixing the car, googles some crap and then tells him, check the manifold gasket, pure sheit and misleading people

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 9th, 2010, 4:44 pm

^ it's your analogies that are worrying :|

buzz
Riding on 17's

Postby buzz » November 9th, 2010, 4:45 pm

hustla_ambition101 wrote:Real sheit ads, its like is some real morons who working in Advertising and promotions. The ads lack creativity and turn the listener away more than anything else. I've stopped listening to radio because of the diatribe that passes for ads in this country. One ad that totally annoys me in particular is the one with the little girl who sees her father fixing the car, googles some crap and then tells him, check the manifold gasket, pure sheit and misleading people

lmao @ diatribe

but the misleading bit, thats another issue, is there any legal limit locally ?

not talking about that ad in particular cause it could be argued that it's ambiguous but i can think of a few...

MasterShake
3NE 2NR for life

Postby MasterShake » November 9th, 2010, 9:57 pm

90 % of the ads are a stupid song or an interview by nick crosby....then the rest look like a powerpoint presentation :lol: :lol:

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » November 9th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Well they prefer to spend more mnoeny on putting the ad out there as much as possible and less money on actual development. They take the textbook theory of marketing and apply it because most trinis think inside a box. More times shown in media = more sales, yay, lets go drink by Trotters.
That Milk ad they shove down our throats in CC8 (which is in itself wrong, because we paid to see the movie and shouldn't be subjected to ads for good seats) I found out the other day that one of the kids were paid $1500 to act in it. He's a normal kid they find. Not someone who's looking into acting and may have done it better. Pay de chile small money let him rot his teeth. As his parent I wasn't taking that.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 9th, 2010, 11:31 pm

hustla_ambition101 wrote:
buzz wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

Real sheit ads, its like is some real morons who working in Advertising and promotions. The ads lack creativity and turn the listener away more than anything else. I've stopped listening to radio because of the diatribe that passes for ads in this country. One ad that totally annoys me in particular is the one with the little girl who sees her father fixing the car, googles some crap and then tells him, check the manifold gasket, pure sheit and misleading people

manifold SEAL gasket.... tawt i was the only one who think it is pure sheit.
that concept is totally dumb,

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » November 10th, 2010, 7:06 am

buh ent allyuh talkin about it and remember details?
i would say mission accomplished

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » November 10th, 2010, 9:19 am

i hate that IBG phonics ad!
and also the gurudogs one on the radio.

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » November 10th, 2010, 9:31 am

yeah, but it does not convince us to take out a blink package does it? and i think that was the whole point of the ad..

here's another take on it - a lot of trini's may like a certain ad - find the tune catchy, love the visuals etc.. but at the end of the day that's what it is, and it still does not convince try to purchase the product/service, especially in cases where that was the intent of the ad.

personally, i does bob meh head every time i hear the digicel "top up jalle jalle" tune. as soon as it finish, its like "yeah man, nice tune" and that's it. i eh going and buy no digicel phone.

i'm pretty sure there are many trini's who do the same thing.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » November 10th, 2010, 9:59 am

It had a real bess Devon Digestives billboard a couple years back. Caught my attention. :|

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » November 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

dat yuassa billboard does catch my eye all d time
1lick

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 10th, 2010, 11:19 am

SmokeyGTi wrote:yeah, but it does not convince us to take out a blink package does it? and i think that was the whole point of the ad..

here's another take on it - a lot of trini's may like a certain ad - find the tune catchy, love the visuals etc.. but at the end of the day that's what it is, and it still does not convince try to purchase the product/service, especially in cases where that was the intent of the ad.

personally, i does bob meh head every time i hear the digicel "top up jalle jalle" tune. as soon as it finish, its like "yeah man, nice tune" and that's it. i eh going and buy no digicel phone.

i'm pretty sure there are many trini's who do the same thing.

at the end of the dumb one with the little googler, i am so annoyed i dont take in what it advertising. that one, they trying sumting like the geico ads, where they do some ting and switch the subject matter to to sumting totally different. the geico ads kept the geico in the part where the people paid attention, but the local put it after the attention spot stops and like me where people get turned away.
probably if they put a flashing blink broad band message when the girl goes to the net then i might know is about blink, but so far i tink is about the power of google

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » November 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

The Leary Joseph ads for coosals blocks... annoying....

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » November 10th, 2010, 12:05 pm

bushwakka wrote:i hate that IBG phonics ad!

i hate that ad....if it had a nice catchy song in the ad i wouldnt mind, but the man talking in a monotone and it boring......hearing a boring ad as often as this ad plays makes me glad i not into those kinda dogs

apple
Trinituner Peong

Postby apple » November 10th, 2010, 4:15 pm

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » November 10th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Kronik wrote:
bushwakka wrote:i hate that IBG phonics ad!

i hate that ad....if it had a nice catchy song in the ad i wouldnt mind, but the man talking in a monotone and it boring......hearing a boring ad as often as this ad plays makes me glad i not into those kinda dogs

The dog at the end sounds like it's in pain. :cry:

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 10th, 2010, 4:26 pm

If only :(

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » November 10th, 2010, 11:22 pm

^^ bess ad... now if only they could advertise the same exact thing again :D

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » November 10th, 2010, 11:49 pm

crazybalhead wrote:It had a real bess Devon Digestives billboard a couple years back. Caught my attention. :|

was ah bess billboard dey saddes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buzz
Riding on 17's

Postby buzz » November 11th, 2014, 11:35 pm

I duly apologise in advance for bumping a four year old thread, however I raise this yet again as this peeve struck me.

In short, I heard a radio advertisement promoting a particular beer. It went on to state it's served at a beastly 34 degrees (iirc)

I'm not getting into the whole Imperial vs Metric debate, however, to my observation when the common man speaks of temperature here in Trinidad, he defines it in Celsius. (To be honest I heard the ad twice on my drive home and I cannot recall if it was in fact stated in a particular scale [IBTF!])

I simply wonder, do local companies take their advertising dollar seriously ? This rant is comparatively mild to the many sh1tty ads I can, erm, recall ? Nonetheless another classic example of poor advertising IMO.

An honest question though to anyone out there who's into marketing and promotion. Is there generally much thought that goes into these ads ? Strategic targeting etc. ? Or do most of these companies simply pay the "experts" to create their ads (I know this happens quite often, source: the three alcohol associates I know personally who work for the local dominant media organisations)

TL;DR ? Trinis, why your ads suck so much ?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » November 11th, 2014, 11:52 pm

it works for them....

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » November 12th, 2014, 12:20 am

Well the quality on ads on TV should not matter in the near future...online (internet) advertising is beating TV advertising all over the world...

.....and OP's examples of effective ads kinda disturbing. :lol:

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » November 12th, 2014, 8:09 am

buzz wrote:I duly apologise in advance for bumping a four year old thread, however I raise this yet again as this peeve struck me.

In short, I heard a radio advertisement promoting a particular beer. It went on to state it's served at a beastly 34 degrees (iirc)

I'm not getting into the whole Imperial vs Metric debate, however, to my observation when the common man speaks of temperature here in Trinidad, he defines it in Celsius. (To be honest I heard the ad twice on my drive home and I cannot recall if it was in fact stated in a particular scale [IBTF!])

I simply wonder, do local companies take their advertising dollar seriously ? This rant is comparatively mild to the many sh1tty ads I can, erm, recall ? Nonetheless another classic example of poor advertising IMO.

An honest question though to anyone out there who's into marketing and promotion. Is there generally much thought that goes into these ads ? Strategic targeting etc. ? Or do most of these companies simply pay the "experts" to create their ads (I know this happens quite often, source: the three alcohol associates I know personally who work for the local dominant media organisations)

TL;DR ? Trinis, why your ads suck so much ?

Stop being a negative Nancy and drink the damn beer

buzz
Riding on 17's

Postby buzz » November 12th, 2014, 8:41 am

I support local :|

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”