Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Lance
punchin NOS

Barbados a developed nation

Postby Lance » November 9th, 2010, 4:46 pm

I'm not sure if it is a repost,

Barbados shines globally, joins ranks of the ‘developed’ nations
Monday, 08 November 2010 23:36

Helen_Clarke149NEW YORK--Without the riches of the United States, Canada or Britain, Barbados has joined the ranks of the world's "developed" nations, albeit only in terms of providing people with an excellent quality of life.

Often called the "Singapore of the Caribbean", Barbados, according to the United Nations, joins such countries as Israel, Hong Kong, Singapore, Slovenia, Cyprus, Malta, Lichtenstein, Bahrain, oil-rich Qatar, Andorra, San Marino, Brunei Darussalam, Monaco, United Arab Emirates and Estonia on the list of "developed" countries, based purely on the Human Developed Index (HDI).

The HDI, now in its 20th year, measures performances in health, education, income and other quality of life indices.

The classification was contained in the 2010 UN Human Development Index released worldwide a few days ago.

But that wasn't all about Barbados. With the exception of the Bahamas, it outspends all of its Caribbean neighbours when it comes to providing health care for each resident and it has one of the lowest murder rates in the Caribbean and Latin America.

Barbados was the only Caribbean and Latin American state to be labelled "developed". It's among 16 states which don't belong to the rich nations' club in Paris, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), but which were placed in a grouping set aside for "developed non-OECD members".

Mexico, the lone Latin American and Caribbean country which belongs to the OECD, wasn't included in the ranks of the "developed" states but was placed among the 32 "developing" nations in the Western Hemisphere.

Barbados had previously articulated its desire to be classified as a developed country, but it didn't set an exact deadline for achieving that goal. Trinidad and Tobago says it wants to reach that level by 2020.

In the latest report, Barbados was listed among the nations worldwide with a "very high" level of human development. It was third on the list of members of the OAS that had attained that ranking.

The others were the United States, fourth, and Canada, eighth. Barbados was ranked 42nd. Narrowly missing the top classification was the Bahamas, which was 43rd.

All of Barbados' Caricom neighbours, including energy-rich Trinidad and Tobago, the Bahamas and Antigua and Barbuda, Jamaica, St Lucia, St Vincent, Suriname, Haiti, Guyana, Suriname and Grenada were listed as "developing" states.

So too were such emerging economic giants as India, Brazil, Chile, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Russian Federation and China.

As the UN Development Programme's top administrator Helen Clark saw it, success wasn't simply about money.

"On one crucial point the evidence is compelling and clear: there is much that countries can do to improve the quality of people's lives even under adverse circumstances," she said.

"Many countries have made great gains in health and education despite only modest growth in income, while some countries with strong economic performance have failed to make similarly impressive progress in life expectancy."

In the vital area of health, the UN report puts Barbados' per capita expenditure on health care at US$1,265 in 2007, a figure that was only surpassed in the region by the Bahamas with US$1,987. Trinidad and Tobago had a per capita expenditure of US$1,178.

Barbados' per capita spending on health was at least three times greater than Jamaica's (US$357); about six times higher than Guyana's (US$197) and at least US$400 per person more than Chile, Kuwait, Mexico and Brazil.

Barbados invested more per capita in the provision of care for individuals than such rich countries as Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Libya, Kuwait and Algeria. And its outlay was ten times greater than India's and about US$300 more than Poland. Tony Best, Daily Nation

http://www.thedailyherald.com/regional/ ... tions.html

This is very impressive, congrats to them.

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Barbados a developed nation

Postby RASC » November 9th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Congrats to my Bajan Brothers and Sisters. Don't expect us to reach you anytime soon under this regime...'cause it's always somebody else's fault why X,Y,Z can't get done on the island. Sigh, one day they'll wake up and actually doing work. One day :/

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » November 9th, 2010, 5:26 pm

This is why India an Pakistan split............they cant work together

dont expect much better for Afro an Indian trinis we will play the blame game until the end of time

Crackpot
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Crackpot » November 9th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Well well, I am quite ashamed.......

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » November 9th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Well done , Barbados, this was well deserved. With an economy almost 5 times as large as yours, we are still a developing nation thanks to bad leadership. Development isn't only economic. Now we will be coming to you for aid.

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » November 9th, 2010, 7:15 pm

If we don't diversify our economy and improve other sectors of our nation, we will never see developed nation status like Barbados, and the rest of CARICOM isn't remaining still either:
http://www.guyanachronicleonline.com/si ... y&Itemid=8

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 9th, 2010, 7:22 pm

ALL Bajans are fully aware of where their bread is buttered,
hence they treat all foreign tourists properly(except trinis of course)

this simple fact shows that they are mentally miles ahead of us

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » November 9th, 2010, 8:22 pm

RASC wrote:Congrats to my Bajan Brothers and Sisters. Don't expect us to reach you anytime soon under ANY regime...'cause it's always somebody else's fault why X,Y,Z can't get done on the island. Sigh, one day they'll wake up and actually doing work. One day :/

fixed

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » November 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm

RASC wrote:Congrats to my Bajan Brothers and Sisters. Don't expect us to reach you anytime soon under this regime...'cause it's always somebody else's fault why X,Y,Z can't get done on the island. Sigh, one day they'll wake up and actually doing work. One day :/

thought you were evo-stik for a moment..

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » November 9th, 2010, 8:40 pm

yep, it's a social issue as well

xaira
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby xaira » November 9th, 2010, 9:11 pm

trinidadians like evrything free, and even if they loose a worldcup match, we still party, because we dont give a flying f$%^ and seriously to some extent, i proud of that, antidepressant sales in t+t must be some of the lowest on the earth, people who just content and dont tend to stress themselves with things that dont affect their immediate lives, put manning back, we have to jump start vision 2020, and acting like we will need to ask help from barbados in the future is a fantasy, our gdp per capita is still 25% stronger than theirs, and even after oil gone, the industries that are being setup will have a downstream boom very soon, CL Financial investing like mad in methanol downstream, after petrotrin CL financial will be the breadwinner

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » November 9th, 2010, 9:17 pm

lol pios yuh does real crack me up.

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » November 9th, 2010, 9:31 pm

pioneer wrote:Another prime example of trinis illiteracy and ignorance:

They go to a grocery and go to the express lane with a trolley full of items...big sign saying 1-10 items ONLY

The cashier points it out...they biggin to open dey big rotten toilet mouth on why they should be in that line an dey not movin an wha talk to de manager...

Then outside that same grocery they ignorantly and selfishly parked in the disabled parking spot which is clearly PAINTED to indicate such.

Trinis can't last long in a modern world.

My hope is they all kill out each other and die.

breds you real cracking me up here today yes..

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 9th, 2010, 9:47 pm

yes, but they does still go to yankee land and drive properly and obey the law
so it has to be something down here

pioneer wrote:
Trinis can't last long in a modern world.

My hope is they all kill out each other and die.

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » November 9th, 2010, 11:00 pm

xaira wrote:trinidadians like evrything free, and even if they loose a worldcup match, we still party, because we dont give a flying f$%^ and seriously to some extent, i proud of that, antidepressant sales in t+t must be some of the lowest on the earth, people who just content and dont tend to stress themselves with things that dont affect their immediate lives, put manning back, we have to jump start vision 2020, and acting like we will need to ask help from barbados in the future is a fantasy, our gdp per capita is still 25% stronger than theirs, and even after oil gone, the industries that are being setup will have a downstream boom very soon, CL Financial investing like mad in methanol downstream, after petrotrin CL financial will be the breadwinner

economic development is only a subset of development. i'd rather live in trinidad than barbados definitely, but you can't argue that they're doing something right that we aren't

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » November 10th, 2010, 12:10 am

pioneer wrote:It seems governments past and present of T&T have no idea what development is or what it means.
and the illiterate party faithfuls are non the wiser

you don't know that the present government has no idea what development is yet, a government can't go and tell the Indian or African who believes he is being discriminated against to stop feeling that way. It's because the party faithfuls can't work for the betterment of the nation that development can't take place. One of the main reasons we may be looked upon as less socially developed is because of our plural society unlike most of the other islands. Cultural diversity is a bad thing in the sense that there isn't a feeling of unity that can help to build society. many people at one point or another feel discriminated against as we have a tendency to do, that doesn't aid productivity or social development. What really can a government do to develop this country in that direction? The Prime Minister and the entire government and opposition would have to be all douglas with no cultural or religious preference before most Trinis accept them as neutral or not out to get them because they are different.
Last edited by zcarz on November 10th, 2010, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

zcarz
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby zcarz » November 10th, 2010, 12:27 am

well you have to sacrifice something important for something else that may be important. sacrifice culture and you end up like the americans, no culture, but developed. if you go to america, you will not be allowed to buss bamboo around diwali. its a win-lose sort of situation. but then again america was founded on those principles, we were founded on the principles of cultural politics. i'm sure we have more fun though, despite being looked upon as being backward by developed nations. Hinduism is probably the epitomy of culture in any form, and it is looked upon as being backward by the European people. go figure

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » November 10th, 2010, 12:30 am

pioneer wrote:trinis also have zero discipline and show no order or respect for anyone else

how many times u saw people cuttin a line...whether it be food...or at a traffic light

You win !
People too damn bold here.
Feeling like the shoulder is an extra lane, etc,etc.

Imagine what a tourist from a developed country thinks when they see this happen.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » November 10th, 2010, 7:06 am

agree with every post pios made in this ched...

ziig
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby ziig » November 10th, 2010, 7:39 am

PIONEER!!!!!

I have to aggree with 100% plus VAT.......I have been saying the same thing for years....unless trinidbagonians change their thinking and in essence our culture we will never move forward...and that is from leader to rubbish collector......everyone in trini/bago has the same mentality......"what it have in that for me?"
just listen to some adds on the radio....a drink Ginsine I think.....the first question is "wat that can do for me? "
and that is alll we ever care about......long gone is stop and help our brother or neighbour...long gone is let me spend some time with my family or some unfortunate family member....
we litter/ drink and drive/ cuse out each other on the roads/ our school children only know how to fight after class and have sex with each other/ our leaders get into to power under pretence of helping only to rob us blind and we sit home and say " well in 5 yrs they gone!!" But by then it too late/ we work how and when we feel and let Union leaders with a gripe decide our fates/ we say wow look at our PM make the glamour magazine nah.....she real good ehhh....but she not here running our country at our cost/ and making Time magazine for stupid commments/
our ministers can turn an interview on the interviewer and he gets fired and noone even raises a eyebrow or writes and letter to the studio...a hurricane heads our way and what do we do?
we go to hilo and buy drinks......everyone leaves work early even thought the storm is hours away..........i can go on and on........long live trinidad and tobago....if we last that long

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RASC » November 10th, 2010, 7:55 am

Ppl's mentality is one thing, but remember two very important things that keep them at a nice level.

1. They are NOT a Republic-they get ALOT of assistance from the crown.

2. Their currency is still pegged. And has been since I know myself. It doesn't get as affected by the hills and valleys of the world market.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 10th, 2010, 8:30 am

so barbados is the new caricom ATM then?

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » November 10th, 2010, 8:32 am

for once pioneer is correct...and RASC too!

generally Trini's are not productive people. we lazy no arse and will cut any corner we can in the interest of "self". that's our culture. that is not gonna change anytime soon.

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RASC » November 10th, 2010, 8:32 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:so barbados is the new caricom ATM then?

They don't half as much money as us in reserves or the ability to generate income.
Our economy is 5xtimes theirs.

The "First World Status" is on a quality of life index. Not Economic power.

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RASC » November 10th, 2010, 8:42 am

pioneer wrote:
RASC wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:so barbados is the new caricom ATM then?

They don't half as much money as us in reserves or the ability to generate income.
Our economy is 5xtimes theirs.

The "First World Status" is on a quality of life index. Not Economic power.

Something many people don't understand.

I always been tellin people...Bados gonna take us over...but illiterate ignorant trinis dunno any better...so dey flame on...

I don't think they can pass us anytime soon. They'll need to start manufacturing something for that to happen. Manufacturing and Industrialization is the guaranteed way to make it to developed economic status.

Living standards and quality of life however? They seem to have gotten the formula right, I don't see T&T catching them anytime soon.

RASC
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RASC » November 10th, 2010, 9:01 am

pioneer wrote:Yeah i meant in terms of living standards they would take us over...economic...highly doubt that

Sad part is (we) the educated youth have the ideas, but the ones being paid top dollar to come up with these ideas...not even in the country :|

You wouldn't believe I have this discussion ALL the time when my foreign friends ask me to explain T&T's economy and where it is headed.

The Educated/Exposed Youth of T&T are the future. But most are not allowed to express themselves because the people with the real levels of wealth are much older and refuse to release the death grip.

Young intelligent innovators can't flourish because of this so called "death grip" held by the elders of society. Don't get me wrong I respect them for the strives they made when the country was young, but the country is clearly middle aged right now, and we're being passed because we are not innovating at a fast enough rate.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » November 10th, 2010, 9:15 am

RASC wrote:
pioneer wrote:Yeah i meant in terms of living standards they would take us over...economic...highly doubt that

Sad part is (we) the educated youth have the ideas, but the ones being paid top dollar to come up with these ideas...not even in the country :|

You wouldn't believe I have this discussion ALL the time when my foreign friends ask me to explain T&T's economy and where it is headed.

The Educated/Exposed Youth of T&T are the future. But most are not allowed to express themselves because the people with the real levels of wealth are much older and refuse to release the death grip.

Young intelligent innovators can't flourish because of this so called "death grip" held by the elders of society. Don't get me wrong I respect them for the strives they made when the country was young, but the country is clearly middle aged right now, and we're being passed because we are not innovating at a fast enough rate.

Can you give us any examples of such behaviour which has occurred here in T&T?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 10th, 2010, 9:20 am

teems1 wrote:
RASC wrote:

Panday & Manning

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » November 10th, 2010, 9:24 am

teems1 wrote:
RASC wrote:

I did land Surveying at UWI. I intentionally opted not to pursue a career as a Land Surveyor because of my ambitious nature. When you graduate, you have to work as an intern for many years at a ridiculous salary, and you are at the mercy of a board that will certify you WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE. It's a rough road that not many graduates are willing to take. Most who do are still living in their parents house when they graduate and can manage for a few years to take sheit. This is just one example of such. RASC is right.

evo-STI-k

Postby evo-STI-k » November 10th, 2010, 12:00 pm

BArbados knows the meaning of the word Tourism and hospitality, not like our local village idiots in the tourism sector!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”