Driving in rain with hazard lights on

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

DRAGULA
3NE 2NR for life

Driving in rain with hazard lights on

Postby DRAGULA » November 24th, 2010, 11:59 am

So many people do this... but why?

imo, the purpose of hazard lights is to warn other motorists of potential / unexpected danger.

what's the point of driving with them on in the rain? Everyone around knows that rain is falling and would be aware of the dangers of driving in the rain and i'm sure they can see you with your regular lights on.

In fact, i think that driving with your hazards on in the rain can be even more dangerous than with them off. Case in point; this morning while driving to POS in blinding rain at 5am (while it's still dark and visibility is poor) this idiot in a RAV 4 with hazard lights on, switches lanes (left to right) and ends up in front of me, causing me to mash sudden brakes on the wet road. He may have even put on his indicator to show he was going to pull but I couldn't tell since his hazards were on. Thankfully there was no incident as there was nothing immediately behind me but I wouldn't like to think of what would have happened if there was.

I think the use of hazards should be reserved to alert other drivers that there is something unexpected or wrong like if there's something in the road or if you're shut down on or at the side of the road etc

Discuss

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Re: Driving in rain with hazard lights on

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » November 24th, 2010, 12:01 pm

Look at the drivers of these vehicles and tell me what they all have in common...

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » November 24th, 2010, 12:01 pm

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

mimi007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mimi007 » November 24th, 2010, 12:05 pm

I thought people put on hazard lights during the rain to let other drivers know that they can't see too well when the rain falling hard? thus, making them a hazard to other drivers

Mr Midas
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Mr Midas » November 24th, 2010, 12:06 pm

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » November 24th, 2010, 12:06 pm

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sharkman121 » November 24th, 2010, 12:08 pm

^ i keep tinkin u is foss :?

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » November 24th, 2010, 12:08 pm

^^^You cant see too well, so put on your hazards?

okiethen.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 24th, 2010, 12:27 pm

it is stupid to put on your hazard lights when rain is falling for the very reason the OP stated: Your indicators do not work when your hazard lights are on and so you are making the situation even more dangerous!

You should turn on your park lights or headlights when driving in low visibility conditions.

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » November 24th, 2010, 12:28 pm

DRAGULA wrote:So many people do this... but why?

imo, the purpose of hazard lights is to warn other motorists of potential / unexpected danger.

what's the point of driving with them on in the rain? Everyone around knows that rain is falling and would be aware of the dangers of driving in the rain and i'm sure they can see you with your regular lights on.

In fact, i think that driving with your hazards on in the rain can be even more dangerous than with them off. Case in point; this morning while driving to POS in blinding rain at 5am (while it's still dark and visibility is poor) this idiot in a RAV 4 with hazard lights on, switches lanes (left to right) and ends up in front of me, causing me to mash sudden brakes on the wet road. He may have even put on his indicator to show he was going to pull but I couldn't tell since his hazards were on. Thankfully there was no incident as there was nothing immediately behind me but I wouldn't like to think of what would have happened if there was.

I think the use of hazards should be reserved to alert other drivers that there is something unexpected or wrong like if there's something in the road or if you're shut down on or at the side of the road etc

Discuss

really meh bai...what country you driving in..you forget is Trinidad...with Trinidad drivers!

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » November 24th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Discuss

i drive with my hazard lights on if the rain is blinding / white.
however, if i have to change lanes.
1. I take off the hazard lights
2. put on the indicator.
3. wait & observe for about 5- 10 seconds
4. switch into the lane
5. take off indicator
6. put back on hazard lights

DrunkenMaster16
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DrunkenMaster16 » November 24th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:it is stupid to put on your hazard lights when rain is falling for the very reason the OP stated: Your indicators do not work when your hazard lights are on and so you are making the situation even more dangerous!

You should turn on your park lights or headlights when driving in low visibility conditions.

Just to add, DON'T DRIVE IN THE FAST LANE (WITH YOUR HAZARDS ON)!!!!!

normal park lights / low beams in low viability only!

hazard lights are for you on the shoulder broken down / changing tyres.

Wanted to kill a B14 for driving slow in the fast lane with hazards on and not moving to the left lane when flashed. Next time is brake check IYMC.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 24th, 2010, 12:38 pm

christopherwilliams2 do you think in an emergency in switching lanes you can go through that tedious process of taking off your hazards to quickly put on your indicator?

you are only increasing your reaction time - that is dangerous

why not just drive with your headlights on?

with your headlights on, your tail lights will also be on!
red light (your tail lights) will be less prone to refraction than other colours

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » November 24th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Isn't it illegal to drive with your hazard lights on anyway? Moving violation?

They are to lawfully be used ONLY on a disabled vehicle or one which has been lawfully stopped, as told to me by an officer once. However, I'm not certain if this also applies to a vehicle which is being towed or when one is "limping" to a garage. The practice of using hazard lights in storm conditions should be discouraged.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » November 24th, 2010, 1:07 pm

^ exactly hazards are to be used on stationary vehicles and/or vehicles coming to a stop. I would give a bligh for those being towed as well

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » November 24th, 2010, 1:10 pm

hazzard lights are for when you break down and yuh park up.

NOT when yuh driving .

they serve no purpose than to stress out drivers in the area.

read alluh regulations

speedfreak44
Riding on 16's

Postby speedfreak44 » November 24th, 2010, 1:12 pm

it gives and excuse to some for making stupid drives

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » November 24th, 2010, 1:16 pm

as soon as a few drop ah rain fall

all the arse whipes does turn on dem hazzards

ab bag ah skunts

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » November 24th, 2010, 1:59 pm

The misuse of hazard lights in t&t has been going on since i can remember and is not isolated to any profile of persons.I have come to the conclusion that when driving in bad weather i have to look out for thoses who insist on operating there vehicles in the strangest of ways.In the words of the serenity pray kind-of "GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE".

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » November 24th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Discuss

Drive three or four car lengths away from the vehicle in-front of you especially in bad weather with low visibility. I agree with you that people abuse the hazard lights, then again most drivers aren't considerate of other drivers on the road. When driving anticipate what the people around might do so you won't have to mash a hard brakes.

On another note, I don't understand why people feel they have to drive fast when they get a little clearance on the road then mash brakes and drive close to vehicles infront of them. I take my time and cruise at around 90km on the highway(not on the right lane), many time I'll pass people who pass around me, take your time on the road people.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » November 24th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Misguided noob and ignorant drivers seem to think that driving in rain constitutes a "hazard", hence they turn on their "hazard" lights. They dont understand that others can see them fine with just the running lights/park lights on.

Some jack@ss in an almera cut me off on the drive home yest evening - he had on both the hazards AND full headlights, and the p*nishead also had his facking foglights on too.

Should've rammed my Navara into his trunk when he pulled a sudden- brakes in front of me, at least that would've solved his hazard light problem.

*takes a chill pill* :(

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » November 24th, 2010, 5:10 pm

DrunkenMaster16 wrote:Just to add, DON'T DRIVE IN THE FAST LANE (WITH YOUR HAZARDS ON)!!!!!...

:? Where is this "fast" lane that I see some people referring to on this website?

DrunkenMaster16

Postby DrunkenMaster16 » November 24th, 2010, 5:16 pm

The over taking lane aka fast lane. Read the signs on the shoulder of the highway. Keep left except when over taking. It's just the law.. thats all.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 24th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:it is stupid to put on your hazard lights when rain is falling for the very reason the OP stated: Your indicators do not work when your hazard lights are on and so you are making the situation even more dangerous!

some of the newer european cars are designed with trinis in mind
with the hazards on, if u turn on an indicator, the hazard function stops so the indicator signal is seen. When the indicator signal is canceled, hazard lights resume flashing......

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 24th, 2010, 5:21 pm

^ most cars in T&T don't have that feature

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » November 24th, 2010, 5:24 pm

christopherwilliams2 wrote:

i drive with my hazard lights on if the rain is blinding / white.
however, if i have to change lanes.
1. I take off the hazard lights
2. put on the indicator.
3. wait & observe for about 5- 10 seconds
4. switch into the lane
5. take off indicator
6. put back on hazard lights

amazing

level of intelligence circulating the forums now is amazing

what is the purpose of your hazards
if
your taillights and headlights do better?

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » November 24th, 2010, 5:49 pm

ppl have chupidness down to a science

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 24th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ most cars in T&T don't have that feature

most cars in T&T don't have 1wd, but there ya go

Rallyfignis
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rallyfignis » November 24th, 2010, 6:02 pm

christopherwilliams2 wrote:i drive with my hazard lights on

Then you, my friend, are an idiot.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » November 24th, 2010, 6:02 pm

this kind of information we should put into emails and start forwarding around.. this practice is unsafe and sends wrong signals to other drivers on the road..

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”