Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby adnj » June 18th, 2020, 3:54 pm

You can still build top-hinged inset panels. Just frame all the way around the opening.

Tear it down next year and the doubles man will buy it from you. :D

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 18th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Lol

Sounds like a plan

adnj wrote:You can still build top-hinged inset panels. Just frame all the way around the opening.

Tear it down next year and the doubles man will buy it from you. :D

Emmar01
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Emmar01 » June 18th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Trying to find a product (can't remember the name) that can be applied to outside tiles on a driveway to increase grip and reduce slipping for tyres when wet. Any suggestions?

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » June 18th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Where is a good place to look for cupboard handles? Looking for something chrome and kinda squared edged.
Thanks

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 18th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Nexus wrote:Where is a good place to look for cupboard handles? Looking for something chrome and kinda squared edged.
Thanks

I have heard of Carpenter's Edge in Champs Fleurs having a good array of carpentry products including hardware but truthfully I have never been there.

Bhagwansingh's usually has a good assortment of knobs and handles and I have bought there a few times. They also carry the Amerock brand which is a bit higher priced than most but of a better quality and wider design selections. The problem I find with buying cupboard hardware at Bhagwansingh's is that they usually do not have the quantity in the item I like and a compromise may be needed in order that I can get the quantity. Arbitrarily speaking, if you looking for say <20 pcs of an item, you should be in luck. If more, well you may be out of luck.

Two years ago I needed 76 knobs/handles in five different designs ranging in quantity from seven in one design up to 33 in another. I was unable to get the quantities and items I liked at Bhagwansingh's. I ended up buying them online through a website called amerockexpress.com (I see now that its called amerockforless.com) and good old Amazon. If you have the patience, you can try amerockforless, although I am not sure with the change in name of the website if they'll accept a Trinidad issue credit card. You can still try. The variety is amazing and the prices can be very reasonable depending on what you go for.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 18th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Nexus wrote:Where is a good place to look for cupboard handles? Looking for something chrome and kinda squared edged.
Thanks

Reesals Hardware in Freeport . The road going to preysal . They have a wide range at low prices. They also own the local Lotus brand factory , so you get good lotus toilets , face sinks at best prices.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 18th, 2020, 9:02 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Fellaz

I wanna build a garage/shed on empty lot

Was thinking of a purlin frame and galvanise sheeting for the roof and walls.

Its going to be a temporary fixture as i will need to move it when construction starts.

Is it advisable to plant the posts by casting in augered holes, then level the flooring with sandfill and screed about 2"?

Trying to avoid casting a trenched base

Help mih here

Boy, just pong about 3 feet of the C-channel in the ground and leave the rest that you need above ground. If it is temporary and you gonna rip it down when you start construction, why bother to spend time and money to buy aggregate and cement and waste some money. Then level the earth under the shed, and go by one of those stock piles and buy the break up red blocks and spread that and compact if you can.

BTW, if you want some Z-purlin vibes me. I have some pack up collecting mildew which came down from a shed reno I did a few years ago. It is painted in grey tho and I may have some unpainted lengths. If you interested, let me know and I can confirm how much I have.

I eh go charge yuh... better to give to a tuner pardna than dem bambam who does teef scrap iron and battery. The only think I'll ask in return is that you come a Sunday evening when you done cook one of your spreads and bring a lil box for me. :D

Leme know if you interested.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » June 18th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Thanks

20200618_112755.jpeg

Saw these at Samlal Seepersad hardware in Marabella today. There are other styles available. Emperor Doors in Chase Village as well.

Ditto on Carpenters' Edge. Never shopped there but they have some nice stuff on their website and FB page.
https://www.carpentersedge.com/store/HARDWARE/Handles

81565887_3663939113646886_6762052182188490752_o.jpg

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 18th, 2020, 10:26 pm

carluva wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Fellaz

I wanna build a garage/shed on empty lot

Was thinking of a purlin frame and galvanise sheeting for the roof and walls.

Its going to be a temporary fixture as i will need to move it when construction starts.

Is it advisable to plant the posts by casting in augered holes, then level the flooring with sandfill and screed about 2"?

Trying to avoid casting a trenched base

Help mih here

Boy, just pong about 3 feet of the C-channel in the ground and leave the rest that you need above ground. If it is temporary and you gonna rip it down when you start construction, why bother to spend time and money to buy aggregate and cement and waste some money. Then level the earth under the shed, and go by one of those stock piles and buy the break up red blocks and spread that and compact if you can.

BTW, if you want some Z-purlin vibes me. I have some pack up collecting mildew which came down from a shed reno I did a few years ago. It is painted in grey tho and I may have some unpainted lengths. If you interested, let me know and I can confirm how much I have.

I eh go charge yuh... better to give to a tuner pardna than dem bambam who does teef scrap iron and battery. The only think I'll ask in return is that you come a Sunday evening when you done cook one of your spreads and bring a lil box for me. :D

Leme know if you interested.
Boi

Is really a garage to do some work on my van.
So i need a flat concrete floor to put jackstands and roll around a big jack.
Van may be down for days at a time and i need somewhere out of the weather i can lock up securely and leave tools and parts etc.

So i wanted to build it strong and secure but able to remove at a later point.
I was thinking about converting it to the "construction shed" when the house starts.
So i can leave it there until the permanent garage is fixed.

I will check the builder and see how much material i will need and msg you.

And bout them cooks
Come vibes mih when the shed build....we go have a garage lime, cook something and fix some van.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 19th, 2020, 12:16 am

I hate to see money waste especially when and investment is being made to later demolish.

If you already have plans for the house and finances permit, consider doing the foundation, floor slab and columns (if two storey house) and erect a shed over part of that. That way later on you only have to continue where you left off for the rest of the house.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 19th, 2020, 6:49 am

Reliable, professional cupboard men.....please recommend

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 19th, 2020, 7:19 am

yes, if going thru the trouble to do a concrete floor, might as well try and make it worthwhile

carluva wrote:I hate to see money waste especially when and investment is being made to later demolish.

If you already have plans for the house and finances permit, consider doing the foundation, floor slab and columns (if two storey house) and erect a shed over part of that. That way later on you only have to continue where you left off for the rest of the house.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 19th, 2020, 7:36 am

Me too, but i have no paperwork for the land yet, covid went and screw things up badly.
So it may be a while before i am able to draw plans and get them approved etc.
So i catering this garage/shed gonna be up for a while.
carluva wrote:I hate to see money waste especially when and investment is being made to later demolish.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 19th, 2020, 7:36 am

Hayden, from brooklyn settlement
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Reliable, professional cupboard men.....please recommend

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 19th, 2020, 7:38 am

Yea

I considered all this
But it really isnt feasible to do any work on the land itself...
I was gonna put the shed between the road and the setback line
So it wont be in the way of the foundation when construction starts
pugboy wrote:yes, if going thru the trouble to do a concrete floor, might as well try and make it worthwhile

Reamos DC5
Sweet on this forum

Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Reamos DC5 » June 20th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Evening fellas,

As most of us have been through, I got some bad work with tile grading leading to water accumulation.

Can anyone recommend a very good person to cut outdoor stone tiles and install drain channels.

Thank you.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 20th, 2020, 8:37 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Hayden, from brooklyn settlement
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Reliable, professional cupboard men.....please recommend

Any more info?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 20th, 2020, 9:22 pm

As yuh drive in brooklyn road
2nd building
Yuh must see all the wood in the yard

Ask for hayden
If he not there
Ask the workers for his #
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Hayden, from brooklyn settlement

Any more info?

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » June 22nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Would you all recommended roller/brush painting kitchen cabinets and bedroom doors or spraying?

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » June 22nd, 2020, 2:26 pm

worksux101 wrote:Would you all recommended roller/brush painting kitchen cabinets and bedroom doors or spraying?

Spraying

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 22nd, 2020, 4:55 pm

worksux101 wrote:Would you all recommended roller/brush painting kitchen cabinets and bedroom doors or spraying?

If you are painting with latex gloss, you can get a very good finish coat by using a roller. But you will need to use a foam roller.

If you are using a wood finish like poly urethane and don't intend to thin it, spraying works better because the coating doesn't self-level as well.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 22nd, 2020, 5:54 pm

I use Sissons Flat Varnish , applied by brush . It leaves no lines , imperfections or fumes and it has a very modern look . I just cant bear the sight of gloss varnish .

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 22nd, 2020, 6:29 pm

Where can I get premade drain inverts
Looking for 6 inches deep by 15-16 inches wide.

I call target solutions to ask about their drain systems a few times and they keep promising to get back to me and never did

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 22nd, 2020, 6:54 pm

I went to buy some concrete cylinders by the place on the highway after Courts in Freeport ( on the lay-by) and saw he makes them , but I'm not sure about the measurements . Check them.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » June 22nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

adnj wrote:

If you are painting with latex gloss, you can get a very good finish coat by using a roller. But you will need to use a foam roller.

If you are using a wood finish like poly urethane and don't intend to thin it, spraying works better because the coating doesn't self-level as well.

Looking at using a brown latex paint from sherwin williams. Satin finish. Thanks much all

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 22nd, 2020, 8:55 pm

Williams foundry Claxton bay makes the covers, not sure if the make the inner parts

Phone Surgeon wrote:Where can I get premade drain inverts

I call target solutions to ask about their drain systems a few times and they keep promising to get back to me and never did

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » June 22nd, 2020, 9:03 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Where can I get premade drain inverts

Check Central Concrete products ltd

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 24th, 2020, 8:45 am

Thanks guys.
Got through at central concrete products in marabella. The place by freeport only has 18 inches and up

Marabella has the 6inch deep x 12 inch wide by 40 inches length for $110 I think

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » June 25th, 2020, 10:35 am

What's a ball park figure to rewire a two bedroom, living room kitchen single bathroom flat. Nothing fancy no down lighters nada, just updating the existing wiring to code. At what figure labor and material should I look else where.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 26th, 2020, 7:35 am

nemisis wrote:What's a ball park figure to rewire a two bedroom, living room kitchen single bathroom flat. Nothing fancy no down lighters nada, just updating the existing wiring to code. At what figure labor and material should I look else where.
Expect $10k to $15k for labor and $3k to $6k for wire, breakers, fixtures, and a panel.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”