Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Marc Swift
Riding on 13's

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Marc Swift » February 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm

rspann wrote:Rory , seeing that the pin size is determined by the thickness of the rods ,then buying those machine made stirrups might not be the best idea, because to me they all have corners like they were bent in a brake or a bender that makes the bend without a radius. Advise.

Very certain the machine at Reesal Industries Ltd. compensates the pin size based on the steel size. Not sure about other factories.

Marc Swift
Riding on 13's

Postby Marc Swift » February 20th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Joey_nm wrote:Is soil testing needed before home construction and building a retaining wall?

Did someone advise you to test the soil or did you see any reason for concern?

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » February 20th, 2018, 3:33 pm

rspann wrote:Rory , seeing that the pin size is determined by the thickness of the rods ,then buying those machine made stirrups might not be the best idea, because to me they all have corners like they were bent in a brake or a bender that makes the bend without a radius. Advise.

The short answer to your question is yes.

If you check the radii of the bends in the pre-formed stirrups and see that the bends are not less than the recommended radii, then you are okay. If the radius of the bend in the steel is less than what is recommended, you could end up getting micro-tensile cracks in the steel at the bends, thus resulting in a weak point in the stirrup at that point. This is not good for the shear resistance that the stirrup provides in the beam or column.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » February 20th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Joey_nm wrote:Is soil testing needed before home construction and building a retaining wall?

It all depends on what size house and what height retaining wall you are building and where you are building.

You could use the recommended soil parameters in the TTBS Small Building Code to design houses up to two storeys in height. Any higher than that, it would be recommended that you carry out a soil investigation to guide the foundation design.

Retaining walls fail in any or a combination of three ways with respect to the soil:
1) The soil cannot support the retaining wall and it fails in bearing
2) The lateral loads on the retaining wall from the soil and surcharge loads causes the wall to overturn (the wall begins to rotate at the top)
3) The lateral loads on the retaining wall from the soil and surcharge loads causes the wall to slide

You need to know the soil properties at a particular location to be able to design the retaining wall properly to withstand the imposed loads.

The average layperson will look at the new Courts facility in Freeport and see what appears to be a 4m high concrete blockwork retaining wall on the southern boundary, immediately behind which is a two storey house. They will then go and construct a retaining wall of similar height with concrete blocks to protect their mansion, and wonder why the retaining wall failed and their mansion collapsed after the first rainy season. What the layperson did not notice was during construction, the actual retaining wall at Courts in Freeport is a line of 600mm diameter reinforced concrete auger piles abutting one another, and the concrete blockwork is just a non-structural facing to make it look a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

stang
3NE 2NR for life

Postby stang » March 1st, 2018, 1:28 pm

Need recommendations for persons that can tile a floor. Thanks

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 1st, 2018, 10:09 pm

stang wrote:Need recommendations for persons that can tile a floor. Thanks

A 2NR did my exterior tiling in 2017. I had no issues with the quality of his workmanship. IIRC, he did the exterior tiling at $6/sq.ft. for labour and small tools. I supplied all the materials.

Fazal Haniff - 709-3350.

stang
3NE 2NR for life

Postby stang » March 2nd, 2018, 10:18 am

Thanks..called and awaiting some photos of his work,

Want to install 24x24 porcelain tiles as close together and to match the grout to the tile. Trying for a seamless floor. Do you think he is capable of doing something like this.

Thanks again,

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

A 2NR did my exterior tiling in 2017. I had no issues with the quality of his workmanship. IIRC, he did the exterior tiling at $6/sq.ft. for labour and small tools. I supplied all the materials.

Fazal Haniff - 709-3350.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » March 2nd, 2018, 12:02 pm

stang wrote:Thanks..called and awaiting some photos of his work,

Want to install 24x24 porcelain tiles as close together and to match the grout to the tile. Trying for a seamless floor. Do you think he is capable of doing something like this.

Thanks again,

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Fazal Haniff - 709-3350.

You could have just done an epoxy floor, guaranteed seamless

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » March 4th, 2018, 6:23 am

Bess thread....

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 17th, 2018, 5:54 pm

So i will be moving into my own home very soon and the previous owner mentioned he wanted to put up a wall in the past but the neighbour “ give him trouble”. So, once my boundaries are defined, i guess i can proceed legally. But building on the boundary is the norm or maybe a foot away so i don’t encroach any anyone’s property?

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » March 17th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Neighbours tend to give trouble when you ask them to contribute to the wall. If you paying for it, usually the resistance goes away.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 17th, 2018, 7:04 pm

[quote=" Kronik]
You could have just done an epoxy floor, guaranteed seamless[/quote]

I'm building a new building for my business and I'm going with the epoxy floor. I did some research and I agree with you on this. Getting the concrete perfectly level before epoxy is my main priority ,because I can't bear to see a wavy floor ,and it will be highlighted by the epoxy. Rory and others ,any ideas?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Neighbours tend to give trouble when you ask them to contribute to the wall. If you paying for it, usually the resistance goes away.

You are dead right. Once they know it's free ,they don't object. Expept I had this situation once where it was an old chain link wire fence and the neighbor refused to co-operate , he wanted me to build the wall on my side ,which would cause me to have to set back two feet to dig the trench while staying out of his 12" foundation.

Long story short ,when he came home the evening the fece was nicely rolled op in his yard, foundation dug and cast ,because we had already tied all the steel. He never said another word.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 18th, 2018, 12:03 pm

So closing day will be here and the owners still have furniture in the place. What happens if you close and their stuff still there? Is there a grace period still?

demboyzaudio
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby demboyzaudio » March 19th, 2018, 7:28 am

Can anyone tell me how you tie the steel for the lentil. The part over the doorway. Single door size. I know how to build boxing but I saw someone use two pieces of steel inside. I wanted to know if this is the normal practice

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 19th, 2018, 2:42 pm

I generally use a triangular shaped stirrup. i have seen people use the two pieces of steel ,but that is crazy.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » March 19th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Anybody ever use Roof Systems Ltd for replacing a roof?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 19th, 2018, 3:04 pm

where i live in woodbrook old house that is how they are just two 1/2" pieces near the bottom of beam
at least it is near the bottom where it is better than near the top of the beam.

rspann wrote:I generally use a triangular shaped stirrup. i have seen people use the two pieces of steel ,but that is crazy.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 19th, 2018, 6:18 pm

rspann wrote:[quote=" Kronik]
You could have just done an epoxy floor, guaranteed seamless[/quote]

I'm building a new building for my business and I'm going with the epoxy floor. I did some research and I agree with you on this. Getting the concrete perfectly level before epoxy is my main priority ,because I can't bear to see a wavy floor ,and it will be highlighted by the epoxy. Rory and others ,any ideas?[/quote]

Call SCL Trinidad Limited (675-5555) and see if they have a self levelling screed that could be applied over the floor with proper bond on which you could apply the epoxy coating.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 19th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info ,will call tomorrow.

THE_DRAUGHTSMAN
Riding on 13's

Postby THE_DRAUGHTSMAN » March 23rd, 2018, 1:33 pm

If you need a draughtsman you can call:
#392-1276
Ask for Aaron...
Certified and Registered
Specialized in:
House plans,TCP Approval, Engineering Drawings, Piping Drawing, Layouts, PDF to CAD, 3D Renderings and much more...

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » March 23rd, 2018, 4:53 pm

THE_DRAUGHTSMAN wrote:If you need a draughtsman you can call:
#392-1276
Ask for Aaron...
Certified and Registered
Specialized in:
House plans,TCP Approval, Engineering Drawings, Piping Drawing, Layouts, PDF to CAD, 3D Renderings and much more...

Certified by and registered with?

toscati
Street 2NR

Postby toscati » March 24th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Looking for someone who can clear out piles of material and small pieces of wood etc left over from boxing, and transport everything to the dump. Almost done blocking up an upstairs addition and my yard is looking like a junkyard. Contact info will be appreciated!

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » March 25th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Whats the average cost to construct a 2 bedroom house?I talking about the structure of the house with plumbing,electrical,windows and doors essentially.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » March 26th, 2018, 9:38 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:Whats the average cost to construct a 2 bedroom house?I talking about the structure of the house with plumbing,electrical,windows and doors essentially.

Flat house? 2 story? Roof type?

If it's a flat with a gable roof, you could do all that for about 200-250k

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 27th, 2018, 8:04 am

Kronik wrote:
supercharged turbo wrote:Whats the average cost to construct a 2 bedroom house?I talking about the structure of the house with plumbing,electrical,windows and doors essentially.

Flat house? 2 story? Roof type?

If it's a flat with a gable roof, you could do all that for about 200-250k
And how much to 3br 2 baths...the land slightly sloping and located in south side

Marc Swift
Riding on 13's

Postby Marc Swift » March 27th, 2018, 8:14 am

[vimeo][/vimeo]
toscati wrote:Looking for someone who can clear out piles of material and small pieces of wood etc left over from boxing, and transport everything to the dump. Almost done blocking up an upstairs addition and my yard is looking like a junkyard. Contact info will be appreciated!

Call & ask for Pepsi. If everything can be done in 10 hourd with a 3ton & 2 loaders it will cost you $2000
494-6833

Marc Swift
Riding on 13's

Postby Marc Swift » March 27th, 2018, 8:20 am

:P

Material & Labour
Sub Structure (Foundation/Decking) $100/sq'
Super Structure (Block Works/Plastering/Roof) $150/sq'
Finishes between $100-$200/sq'

toscati
Street 2NR

Postby toscati » March 27th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Thanks!
Marc Swift wrote:
toscati wrote:Looking for someone who can clear out piles of material and small pieces of wood etc left over from boxing, and transport everything to the dump. Almost done blocking up an upstairs addition and my yard is looking like a junkyard. Contact info will be appreciated!

Call & ask for Pepsi. If everything can be done in 10 hourd with a 3ton & 2 loaders it will cost you $2000
494-6833

THE_DRAUGHTSMAN
Riding on 13's

Postby THE_DRAUGHTSMAN » March 28th, 2018, 11:38 am

NR8 wrote:
THE_DRAUGHTSMAN wrote:If you need a draughtsman you can call:
#392-1276
Ask for Aaron...
Certified and Registered
Specialized in:

Certified by and registered with?

Autodesk and N.E.C. Certified
and my business is registered

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”